Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
This is the most recent mod that I'll never go without again:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/77783

Instead of showing you your whole perk list it shows three randomly selected perks you're eligible for. Take all the choice paralysis out of picking a perk! Not great for people who like to plan their whole build out in advance, but I could never stick to a plan anyway. Plus it's Vegas! A perk system that makes you play the cards you're dealt is very appropriate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

2house2fly posted:

This is the most recent mod that I'll never go without again:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/77783

Instead of showing you your whole perk list it shows three randomly selected perks you're eligible for. Take all the choice paralysis out of picking a perk! Not great for people who like to plan their whole build out in advance, but I could never stick to a plan anyway. Plus it's Vegas! A perk system that makes you play the cards you're dealt is very appropriate

oh this is really cool, i just started a run but i’ll probably end up giving this a try next time

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Adventures in modding: looking over my installed mods in MO2, I noticed NVAC. I'd heard that using NVAC isn't recommended any more because it can paper over deeper problems that can go on to irretrievably mess up your save, so I figured I'd remove it. Loaded up the game and it crashed at the main menu. WTF? All this time NVAC had been allowing me to access the game itself??

Well, the way to diagnose which mod is causing a problem is to turn them all off and then reactivate them gradually. So I did, switching on a dozen or so mods at a time, and starting the game to make sure it was getting to the title screen and then loading the actual game. Eventually I had reactivated every single mod, and was able to get to the title screen and play around in the game without issue. No mod was causing the problem at all! I assume it was a load order thing. I'll keep the load order I have now out of superstition.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I'd heard that using NVAC isn't recommended any more because it can paper over deeper problems that can go on to irretrievably mess up your save
It messing up your save can only happen if you're using a really, really hosed up mod that's only playable thanks to NVAC preventing constant crashing.
The more nuanced take is that NVAC shouldn't be the first thing you install. If you have consistent crashes, then that's probably a problem that needs addressing. But once you do have a stable mod setup, then there's no real harm in using NVAC. Sometimes the game just crashes without a mod being the cause.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

n(o)vac

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

2house2fly posted:

Adventures in modding: looking over my installed mods in MO2, I noticed NVAC. I'd heard that using NVAC isn't recommended any more because it can paper over deeper problems that can go on to irretrievably mess up your save, so I figured I'd remove it. Loaded up the game and it crashed at the main menu. WTF? All this time NVAC had been allowing me to access the game itself??

Well, the way to diagnose which mod is causing a problem is to turn them all off and then reactivate them gradually. So I did, switching on a dozen or so mods at a time, and starting the game to make sure it was getting to the title screen and then loading the actual game. Eventually I had reactivated every single mod, and was able to get to the title screen and play around in the game without issue. No mod was causing the problem at all! I assume it was a load order thing. I'll keep the load order I have now out of superstition.

Are you using Viva New Vegas guide with NVAC? Because the game shouldn't crash if you have built on Viva New Vegas.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Is there a good alternative to Viva New Vegas? I got a Deck and I don't really know what I'm doing here. Tried going for the Linux MO2 but then I needed protoclicks and wine clicks but got pretty confused there.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

FireWorksWell posted:

Is there a good alternative to Viva New Vegas? I got a Deck and I don't really know what I'm doing here. Tried going for the Linux MO2 but then I needed protoclicks and wine clicks but got pretty confused there.

Not really, no. Especially if you're looking for something that lays information out neatly and provides resources to learn more like VNV does. The core of VNV is making a more challenging, "hardcore mode"-type NV, and the mods listed are pretty much ~~the best~~ when it comes to that sort of thing, in addition to being competently made. Plus a number of the mods on that list have been custom tweaked to VNV as a whole to better work with each other, though this is subject to change as updates to mods are made.

That being said,

If you want a baseline install for a vanilla-like playthrough without the sweeping changes to game balance that the full VNV brings then just install only what's listed on the "Utilities" and "Bugfixes" pages of VNV. And if you want a "director's cut" experience, install SawyerBatty, which is only Jsawyer plus conflicting bugfixes from YUP carried forward. I have no idea how the likes of BSA Decompressor or the 4gb & ESM patchers are handled on linux, though you can disregard the decompressor and the 4GB patcher probably doesn't matter with such a light load order, else the .exe probably has to be patched on a windows machine and then copied over I assume :shrug:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Oh, I've done VNV on my Windows laptop and ran a playthrough, but I've no experience at all with Linux and it seems a lot more complicated.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

Oh, I've done VNV on my Windows laptop and ran a playthrough, but I've no experience at all with Linux and it seems a lot more complicated.

as long as you get MO and NV running on linux (which i can’t really help you with but i know at least that you can get MO2 to work) there’s nothing about VNV that’s particularly complicated. i did a fresh install this year and the only things that didn’t just go in MO was NVSE and the 4gb patcher

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I just can't get .nxm files to get opened up by MO2 with the deck. Firefox has nxm set to some default "System Handler" for opening them and I can't change it. MO2 has a button for associating it with "Download via Mod Manager" but clicking it seems to do nothing.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

you can always just download the mods manually and then drag the compressed archives into MO if there isn’t a way of fixing it. it’s annoying and more time consuming but works just as well

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I didn't even think that dragging compressed downloads like that would work. Thank you!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Is there a place to get a copy of the Frontiers with all the horrible material that was later axed? I've decided I want to personally experience all of it- and maybe document it for posterity.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Is there a place to get a copy of the Frontiers with all the horrible material that was later axed? I've decided I want to personally experience all of it- and maybe document it for posterity.

Officially? No, I don't think so. However I know that there are people around who have local copies for very similar reasons they might be willing to share

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

https://archive.org/details/fallout-the-frontier.-7z

archive.org has ya covered bro

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh they took bad stuff out of Frontiers? What does that leave?

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
The open world and enemy design. Part of what's so frustrating about that thing is that they did a solid job on those two critical pillars (with the occasional exception, Junkflea is a pain to navigate) and then whizzed everything else down their leg while masturbating to it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The drug addict unity store lizard people are integral to the experience. Namaste.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ironslave posted:

The open world and enemy design. Part of what's so frustrating about that thing is that they did a solid job on those two critical pillars (with the occasional exception, Junkflea is a pain to navigate) and then whizzed everything else down their leg while masturbating to it.

Everything I've seen about it has described the mod as either Fallout Call of Duty, or Operation Anchorage 2.0, which is just an intrinsically unappealing concept in the FO 3 engine.

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
Honestly, I always thought the hate towards the Frontier was overblown some, and there's a conversation to be had about the 4channers that deliberately stoked it, and why. (Far as I can gather it's cus the devs made fun of people for wanting to join the Enclave, a faction that has no actual merit, though they included a legion option, so tomato tomat-o)

Yea, there's some weirdness, but nothing overblown for fallout mods, or the series itself (Remember the talking Deathclaw village in Fallout 2? )

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Merry Deciever posted:

Honestly, I always thought the hate towards the Frontier was overblown some, and there's a conversation to be had about the 4channers that deliberately stoked it, and why. (Far as I can gather it's cus the devs made fun of people for wanting to join the Enclave, a faction that has no actual merit, though they included a legion option, so tomato tomat-o)

Yea, there's some weirdness, but nothing overblown for fallout mods, or the series itself (Remember the talking Deathclaw village in Fallout 2? )

I don't remember foot fetish content in Fallout 2, or a sex slave companion with an 18th birthday card in her inventory

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Famous pedophile and scaly fetishist game, Fallout 2

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug

Chamale posted:

I don't remember foot fetish content in Fallout 2, or a sex slave companion with an 18th birthday card in her inventory

Granted I haven't played through the original Frontier Mod yet, but I understand that foot fetish content to be a single line from one character, and that same character can only be enslaved if you choose to do so, on an evil character path. Is it kinda lovely? Yea, not gonna lie it is, but you still have to choose to do that, and at the end of the day I'm interested in evil paths with some teeth, even if it's stuff I would never do. It sure as hell isn't forced on you.

Remember in fallout 3 how you could buy a female slave that's in love with whoever holds her contract? Pretty sure slavery was also integral to 2 in some weird ways, there was hints of some forced brothels. That isn't to say it's excused or that we can't cast a critical eye in this decade on this stuff. Just that it isn't beyond the pale for this series

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Merry Deciever posted:

Yeah, 4chan did that, but the devs are the guys who put in the Big Titty Mod. The one thing the Frontier nails is being a fun worldspace to wander around in and find things, but unfortunately some of the time the things you find are gross, weird, or nonsensical (and not the kind of nonsensical you want).

I've got defenses I could make if I wanted to for certain design decisions--the NCR campaign being Fall Of Duty with bits aping Wolfenstein--but my list of criticisms is far more thorough and longer, and with a lot of frustrated invective thrown in.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Chamale posted:

I don't remember foot fetish content in Fallout 2

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i’ve got to give the frontier one thing. having a wild wasteland option to settle the final battle with a game of caravan is pretty funny

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Merry Deciever posted:

I'd imagine you can side with the Legion but not the Enclave because the Legion is a main faction in New Vegas, so people might be playing a Legion-aligned character

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Merry Deciever posted:

dumb rear end

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

TY, I may go for the "last patch before the recut" version mentioned in the description. Gotta finally dive into the maze of fallout new vegas modding to make all that work- the only mod I'd ever installed for the game before was autumn leaves. I don't recognize any of those acronyms in the "must install" list!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 8, 2023

watho
Aug 2, 2013

id highly recommend just following viva new vegas. it walks you through everything from absolutely zero to having a good vanilla+ setup. there’s nothing that i would call essential that isn’t in that guide

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007

Merry Deciever posted:

Putting the idea of chuds taking it personally aside, it was really awkward though. Making the player character say 'The Enclave are fascists nobody should want to join', something to that effect. Which is political terminology that feels out of place, and also a really ham-handed way to explain that you can't join the Enclave. Would've felt more natural if you could attempt it and get refused by them.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
It's a line making fun of the people who think the Enclave is cool. It was not worth the amount of words spilled or the focus it got. More attention was given to that than the pervasive misogyny throughout the thing.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

its a really stupid line because its exactly the kind of thing a goon would say at you if you've ever played a legion character lol

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Was frontiers the mod that had the girl companion with the happy 18th birthday card on her person or was that some other lovely mod

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Simsmagic posted:

Was frontiers the mod that had the girl companion with the happy 18th birthday card on her person or was that some other lovely mod

Yes she also talks about how sweaty her feet get

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Dongicus posted:

its a really stupid line because its exactly the kind of thing a goon would say at you if you've ever played a legion character lol

I never really thought about it before but Arcade would definitely be a goon.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Grizzwold posted:

Which forum would each FNV character post in?

Arcade: CSPAM
Veronica: Debate and Discussion
Raul: AI
Boone: GiP
ED-E: YOSPOS
Ulysses: CSPAM
Fantastic: FYAD
Cass: PYF
Rex: Pet Island, YOSPOS
Elijah: CSPAM
The Think Tank: GBS
Lily: FYAD
Joshua Graham: Debate and Discussion
Daniel: The Great Outdoors
Caesar: CSPAM
Mr House: BFC

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Grizzwold posted:

as much as i love arcade... this is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Fitting as he's written by a goon