Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rarity posted:

…Wait, is GOTY cheugy? :ohdear:

I had never heard this phrase before 2021, when my middle-aged Spanish 101 teacher kept wondering openly if this was an actual phrase people say nowadays

Needless to say, it is the least cool phrase imaginable to me now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Arboliva is my friend

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

pokemon scarlet ruled so hard. incredibly glad it scored higher than arceus, which did not rule

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Clodsire

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Take out the 1 person who voted #1 for Pokemon and.... it still beats Ragnarok!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

These are some very close point totals for Top 10 finishes.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'm surprised Scarlet beat out Legends. I heard a lot more good about Legends than Scarlet.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Horizon beat God of War :eyepop:

Good

It’s a real “yes let them kill each other” for me

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Oh I didnt realise one of y games didnt make the cut, I guess I've got .... 2 games left in the countdown??

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Sorry Rarity I think you missed a quote in your write up, here I'll help you out:

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Would make an oversized sandwich with thirty ingredients with my friends again.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

It’s a real “yes let them kill each other” for me

I'm not sure it works that way Jay Rust

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Pokemon beat up Kratos :lol:

Dadnarock thought defeating gods by trying to become their friends was its purpose. It merely adopted it. Pokemon was born in it, molded by it. It didn't see a 3rd dimension until it was already an industry standard.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

exquisite tea posted:

These are some very close point totals for Top 10 finishes.

The point differential between #1 and #2 is going to be loving massive, though.

Still think it's going to be Elden Ring #1, followed by Xenoblade.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fridge corn posted:

Oh I didnt realise one of y games didnt make the cut

There's still a chance Mirror's Edge made the top 5 :pray:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Epic High Five posted:

Dadnarock thought defeating gods by trying to become their friends was its purpose. It merely adopted it. Pokemon was born in it, molded by it. It didn't see a 3rd dimension until it was already an industry standard.

:golfclap:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So the top ten is gonna be pretty dominated by Playstation and switch exclusives eh.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ColdPie posted:

I'm surprised Scarlet beat out Legends. I heard a lot more good about Legends than Scarlet.

Scarvio discourse was dominated by the performance issues which are not actually directly related to how good of a game it is

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ineffiable posted:

So the top ten is gonna be pretty dominated by Playstation and switch exclusives eh.

Pentiment and VS are gonna be way up there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ineffiable posted:

Of the games that haven't been announced yet, only two fit this bill!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Scarvio discourse was dominated by the performance issues which are not actually directly related to how good of a game it is

Yeah it was a bit overshadowing but most agreed the game itself was phenomenal

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

The point differential between #1 and #2 is going to be loving massive, though.

Still think it's going to be Elden Ring #1, followed by Xenoblade.

Yeah I think the two Switch JRPGs will be 2 and 3. Would really love for Pentiment to make it into the top 3 though.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ColdPie posted:

Legends introduced a lot of good things but Scarlet/Violet did them better.

100% keeping in being able to change moves at will was the right choice and best thing to come out of Arceus though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hey I liked the wild zone wild lands of sword, I guess I’ll like violet?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I wasn’t really expecting a Pokémon game to be praised for its writing and plot. I’ll have to check it out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah I think the two Switch JRPGs will be 2 and 3. Would really love for Pentiment to make it into the top 3 though.

I think Pentiment or VS will be 3, I don't think Triangle Strategy will make it that far.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FleMt6ChQOI

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rarity posted:

…Wait, is GOTY cheugy? :ohdear:

Oh no

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ok time to curse it and hope Triangle Strategy at least makes top five, Rarity feel free to ninja me and put it at number 6 now

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I only picked up Violet around Christmas and just beat the main story stuff this week so I get it, even if it definitely wouldn't have been on my top ten if I had played it earlier. Last one I played was Sword and that was way more of a fun adventure than Sword.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

exquisite tea posted:

Pentiment and VS are gonna be way up there.

That's true, vampire survivors is likely to branch out more in 2023 but Pentiment is likely remaining Xbox and pc. Which is a good showing for them in the goty threead compared to the last few years!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Jay Rust posted:

Hey I liked the wild zone wild lands of sword, I guess I’ll like violet?

yeah its like if the dlc of sword where the wild zone was the entire thing was the whole game and huge

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
A lot of the triangle strategy votes seemed to be like 'this is long-winded' and 'this game was fairly ok I suppose' so I'm surprised it's doing so well. What's the main draw? It's like when people say "dragon quest 12 (or whatever) is like comfort food, nothing special, no surprises, nothing new" then it came pretty high on the list.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Brb fixing the vote so Mirror's Edge wins

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

redreader posted:

A lot of the triangle strategy votes seemed to be like 'this is long-winded' and 'this game was fairly ok I suppose' so I'm surprised it's doing so well. What's the main draw? It's like when people say "dragon quest 12 (or whatever) is like comfort food, nothing special, no surprises, nothing new" then it came pretty high on the list.

It's a really solid tactics game with a lot of fun unit variety.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Regy Rusty posted:

Ok time to curse it and hope Triangle Strategy at least makes top five, Rarity feel free to ninja me and put it at number 6 now

:unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

redreader posted:

those quotes aren't criticisms from people who enjoy the genres in question

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

6 is divisible by 3, it makes a lot more sense for Triangle Strategy than 5

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My friends, at this point it is all I can do to keep myself from screaming in horror at the sheer tension of having to decide between the 6 games we have remaining! I am unfathomably grateful that the hard work has been done already by you, our humble audience. All there is for me to do is tell you the way that things have shaken out. Six games that all could be believable winners of this contest but there is only room left for one so the rest will have to make way. Have you ordered an early exit for Pentiment? Is it time to wave farewell to Horizon Forbidden West? Will Xenoblade Chronicles 3 be forced to take a bow? We’re going to find out the answer… right now!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The prettiest game released in 2022.

Rosalind posted:

It's the most beautiful game ever made probably.

bone emulator posted:

The detail and care put into literally every piece of leaf and grass in the environment is astonishing.

Chairchucker posted:

One of my favourite protagonists ever.

CuriousSymptoms posted:

A power fantasy for women and femme-presenting people.

ShakeZula posted:

One of the greatest open-world narrative games I've ever played.

Kazzah posted:

The world has this fantastic sense of place.

fridge corn posted:

The follow up could be released safe in the knowledge that no other title could possibly upstage it, right?

morallyobjected posted:

I am a sucker for bow combat.

Hollow Gaunt posted:

When a dino fight went well, it was :kiss:

King of Solomon posted:

You got to shoot arrows at the rich assholes that destroyed the world.

exquisite tea posted:

As a hater of billionaires, I love that the primary antagonists of this game are evil craven Musklords from the future.

ChrisBTY posted:

And of course gently caress Ted Faro.

Infinitum posted:

gently caress Ted Faro.

lordfrikk posted:

The End of Ted Faro. Finally.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

What matters most in games?

Apparently it's dressing Aloy up like a blue jay.

6. HORIZON FORBIDDEN WEST
(Guerrilla, 2022, New Entry)
199 points, listed 35 times, #1 4 times

This was the first year that Horizon Zero Dawn didn’t feature in our chart but that’s only because it’s been replaced by its own sequel, which lands an impressive #6 finish considering how forgotten it was in the wake of Elden Ring’s launch. Who knows how high the game could have ranked if it had come out at a different time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Triangle Strategy's story is great