Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Spring Break My Heart posted:

He had major groin issues.

There's no such thing as a minor groin issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

On one hand it's nice to have a good player. On the other hand I kinda feel bad for him that he plays for us

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Can anyone tell me what it's like to have a smart coach? Gallant ain't it.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
jack hughes has unlocked demigod status

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

for the love of god sign Bratt so we have Hughes/Hischier/Bratt locked up

Would also be ideal to not allow a goal against in the first 5 minutes of every game

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's no such thing as a minor groin issue

We actually just tell guys that to make you feel better.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

Can anyone tell me what it's like to have a smart coach? Gallant ain't it.

Yeah it's really great.

You just might get to experience it soon, I have a sneaky suspicion Sullivan is going to be the Rangers coach either next year or 23-24. Seems like PAS has turned on him but I am painfully aware that whoever comes next will almost certainly not be nearly as good.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

We are at effectively the midway point of the season and there had yet to be a trade of a player making more than $2.2m a year since the season began (Ethan Bear and even then it was a retained salary transaction).

By my count only 6 active NHLers have changed hands:
Klim Kostin
Jack Studnicka
Ethan Bear
Ryan Reaves
Conor Timmins
Dryden Hunt

Something needs to be done, this is getting stupid.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Jack Hughes, after taking 9 shots in the last game, took 11 against the Rangers. He's now 3 from the league lead in shots, he's tied for the league lead in ES goals, and has 19 goals in his last 20 games total.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Obviously you need to see it over multiple seasons and he's gotta stay healthy and yadda yadda but he's been a top 10 player (honestly closer to top 5) in the NHL this year. Maybe the Devils did actually get the #1 in a good lottery.

It's crazy how much better his reads and decision making are, although I think a lot of it is just physical maturity. He's not McDavid because no one is, but his skating is so for above the rest of the league that he just creates chances out of nothing.

e: made me want to put together yet another hypothetical :911:

Robertson-Matthews-M.Tkachuk
Connor-J.Hughes-Guentzel
Gaudreau-Tage-Tuch
B.Tkachuk-Eichel-Pavelski
Larkin/DeBrincat

Slavin-Fox
Q.Hughes-McAvoy
K.Miller-Carlson
Sanderson

Hellebuyck
Oettinger
Knight

Next up F: Kreider/Keller/Zegras/Miller/Nelson/Beniers/P.Kane/Oshie

Next up D: Pesce/Trouba/Faulk/Hanifin/Werenski

Next up G: Gibson/Swayman/Demko

Maybe you move Tage or Jack to wing to get Eichel up in the lineup. But anyway that's gotta be the best US forward group ever by a huge margin, without looking I assume Canada's would still be better, but probably it's closer than it has ever been

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 7, 2023

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Update to this:
https://twitter.com/WBSPenguins/status/1611740480483590144?t=ZmPEHCD3tgp8dfGSKs-Fkg&s=19

Seems like a concussion. The trainers and those of us in the stands thought it was possible he had a neck fracture. Yes, a concussion is bad but it could have been worse.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

Obviously you need to see it over multiple seasons and he's gotta stay healthy and yadda yadda but he's been a top 10 player (honestly closer to top 5) in the NHL this year. Maybe the Devils did actually get the #1 in a good lottery.

It's crazy how much better his reads and decision making are, although I think a lot of it is just physical maturity. He's not McDavid because no one is, but his skating is so for above the rest of the league that he just creates chances out of nothing.

e: made me want to put together yet another hypothetical :911:

Robertson-Matthews-M.Tkachuk
Connor-J.Hughes-Guentzel
Gaudreau-Tage-Tuch
B.Tkachuk-Eichel-Pavelski
Larkin/DeBrincat

Slavin-Fox
Q.Hughes-McAvoy
K.Miller-Carlson
Sanderson

Hellebuyck
Oettinger
Knight

Next up F: Kreider/Keller/Zegras/Miller/Nelson/Beniers/P.Kane/Oshie

Next up D: Pesce/Trouba/Faulk/Hanifin/Werenski

Next up G: Gibson/Swayman/Demko

Maybe you move Tage or Jack to wing to get Eichel up in the lineup. But anyway that's gotta be the best US forward group ever by a huge margin, without looking I assume Canada's would still be better, but probably it's closer than it has ever been

I think Jack is gonna get some Hart votes this year, he is truly the engine the team.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

We are at effectively the midway point of the season and there had yet to be a trade of a player making more than $2.2m a year since the season began (Ethan Bear and even then it was a retained salary transaction).

By my count only 6 active NHLers have changed hands:
Klim Kostin
Jack Studnicka
Ethan Bear
Ryan Reaves
Conor Timmins
Dryden Hunt

Something needs to be done, this is getting stupid.

It’s funny how often players request trades and then just have to suck it up and keep playing for the org because nobody wants to trade “due to the salary cap” for the last like 10 years lol

One of Chychrun’s biggest assets as a trade target was all the years you’d get him at a $4mil cap hit, by the time he finally gets traded the team acquiring him will get a year and a halfs worth of him at that price before paying him big

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The Wild look like they're finding their groove, finally. Will it be fast enough to make up ground though?

Also, the important question for the Hurricanes is how loud to play Brass Bonanza in the playoffs IMO

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/mark_scheig/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Other Kirill the Other Thrill?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Redeye Flight posted:

The Wild look like they're finding their groove, finally. Will it be fast enough to make up ground though?

Also, the important question for the Hurricanes is how loud to play Brass Bonanza in the playoffs IMO

To win the Central? Maybe? They have 3 games fewer played, and are six points back. They should be making the playoffs if they keep playing anything like they keep playing. They still play Dallas twice after the All Star break and they’ve split the series so far.

Getting healthy has been good for the team and Duhaime is finally back too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mage_Boy posted:

Update to this:
https://twitter.com/WBSPenguins/status/1611740480483590144?t=ZmPEHCD3tgp8dfGSKs-Fkg&s=19

Seems like a concussion. The trainers and those of us in the stands thought it was possible he had a neck fracture. Yes, a concussion is bad but it could have been worse.

Yeah I hate to say hopefully it was just hot brain but uhh hopefully that's what it was.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

fawning deference posted:

I think Jack is gonna get some Hart votes this year, he is truly the engine the team.

he should for sure. I think it’s pretty clearly Connor as the winner and then Hughes/Robertson/Tage, but Buffalo probably won’t be good enough to make Tage a finalist.

not that the rest of the team isn’t good, but the gameplan come playoff time is just: try to gently caress Jack up. it will be interesting to see if anyone can catch him. my thinking (and hope) is that he’ll try to go into the harder areas come playoff time a bit more and get brained by some big idiot. this is true of any team that misses their star, but I think the Devils would be worse off than any team outside of Edmonton if they lose their top guy. he is changing momentum and changing games constantly this year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

he should for sure. I think it’s pretty clearly Connor as the winner and then Hughes/Robertson/Tage, but Buffalo probably won’t be good enough to make Tage a finalist.

not that the rest of the team isn’t good, but the gameplan come playoff time is just: try to gently caress Jack up. it will be interesting to see if anyone can catch him. my thinking (and hope) is that he’ll try to go into the harder areas come playoff time a bit more and get brained by some big idiot. this is true of any team that misses their star, but I think the Devils would be worse off than any team outside of Edmonton if they lose their top guy. he is changing momentum and changing games constantly this year.

Tage is having a season where Buffalo can miss and he could still be top 3. Which is pretty rare but I think the storyline will have it happen.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Every time he steps on to the ice now, he's making serious plays seemingly at will. I think it's certainly going to be McDavid winning again, but Jack should finish top 3 if he keeps this up, and then yeah probably Robertson too.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah it's really great.

You just might get to experience it soon, I have a sneaky suspicion Sullivan is going to be the Rangers coach either next year or 23-24. Seems like PAS has turned on him but I am painfully aware that whoever comes next will almost certainly not be nearly as good.

I haven't turned on him . I just think his usages have really sucked this year. Obviously he hasn't been helped by the players provided to him either nor has management recognized they need to take those players away from him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I haven't turned on him . I just think his usages have really sucked this year. Obviously he hasn't been helped by the players provided to him either nor has management recognized they need to take those players away from him.

It's unlikely he gets fired even if they miss. They just extended him, and FSG really likes him.

Far more likely Hextall takes the fall if the Pens miss

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No I don't think they'll fire Sullivan. I do think (a) he's smart enough to know when the ship has sunk and will be ready to move on, and (b) after Burke and Hextall are replaced, whoever replaces them and Sully might have some issues getting along. Unless Sullivan is allowed to pretty much be the GM's boss, as big-shot coaches sometimes are.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 8, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ottawa and Carolina were trying to do this already. I'm sure if the Devils are in the playoffs teams are going to be taking runs at him all game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tomorrow the Penguins go for their 7th straight loss, which would tie their longest losing streak this season. But this will be their stiffest challenge yet--they're up against none other than the Arizona Coyotes, an AHL team in a college arena. What happens when the stoppable force and the moveable object collide? Find out when the puck drops at 7:00 Pacific Time tomorrow! Ticket pays for the whole seat but you'll only need the eeeeeeeeedge

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Duckman2008 posted:

Tage is having a season where Buffalo can miss and he could still be top 3. Which is pretty rare but I think the storyline will have it happen.

THE BUFFALO SABRES ARE GOING TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

Steve Stamkos scored 60 goals in a season Tampa didn’t make the playoffs!

The Sabres have won every game in which they’ve worn the Black/Red throwback goat head jerseys and scored exactly 6 goals in each one. Seriously, they’ve done it five times. Insanity. Tonight’s game was a sellout and everyone chanted MVP after Tage scored a PP goal. The building shook and the roof could have come down. Just complete bedlam. One of the best games I’ve ever attended.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
What are the Kraken going to do with two not great goalies going forward? Asking as a new fan, is this normal?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mcqueen posted:

What are the Kraken going to do with two not great goalies going forward? Asking as a new fan, is this normal?

There aren't very many good goalers so they're probably stuck with what they got unless Ottawa trades talbot.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1611921374120927232?s=20
huh

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Good for Tage, but Linus Ullmark has 1 loss.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think Boston has more points now (66 in 39 games) than Chicago, Arizona, Columbus, San Jose, and Anaheim will have when the season is over.

They're probably going to lose to Anaheim tomorrow though now that I said that.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Not even tossing milk crates onto the ice. Where's the passion I ask

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

THE BUFFALO SABRES ARE GOING TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

Steve Stamkos scored 60 goals in a season Tampa didn’t make the playoffs!

The Sabres have won every game in which they’ve worn the Black/Red throwback goat head jerseys and scored exactly 6 goals in each one. Seriously, they’ve done it five times. Insanity. Tonight’s game was a sellout and everyone chanted MVP after Tage scored a PP goal. The building shook and the roof could have come down. Just complete bedlam. One of the best games I’ve ever attended.

You know. You’ve suffered long enough as a fan base. Here’s hoping the season goes your way.

Weaponized Autism posted:

Not even tossing milk crates onto the ice. Where's the passion I ask

Goalies with real passion throw water bottles.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah I am absolutely rooting for Buffalo to make it and for the Pens and Isles to dick off

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Anthony Mantha is going to be a healthy scratch today when Backstrom and Wilson return.

Great trade!

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Mind_Taker posted:

Anthony Mantha is going to be a healthy scratch today when Backstrom and Wilson return.

Great trade!

vrana is currently struggling to put up points in the ahl
the draft pick was nice though

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Great trade!

I've been thinking for a while that Mantha for Boeser is probably a sensible trade. Not that anything like that would ever happen have you heard that the salary cap exists???

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Mind_Taker posted:

Great trade!

Mantha’s always been a one-dimensional player that isn’t even particularly good at scoring at the NHL-level. He’s an older Daniel Sprong who somehow got paid

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Aphrodite posted:

Good for Tage, but Linus Ullmark has 1 loss.

You should be thanking the Sabres for Ullmark, all things considered! I hope he stays healthy, he deserves nice things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Oilers are 10th in points % in the West and McDavid is on pace for 60+ goals and 150+ points.

e: and yeah Ullmark is a legit Hart candidate right now. 22 goals saved above expected in 26 games is insane. For reference, Shesterkin ended up with 34 in 53 games last season.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 8, 2023