Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)
best year for Youtube AMVs?
This poll is closed.
2005 38 25.68%
2006 20 13.51%
2007 19 12.84%
2008 16 10.81%
2009 15 10.14%
2010 1 0.68%
2011 9 6.08%
2012 6 4.05%
2013 2 1.35%
2014 3 2.03%
2015 0 0%
2016 1 0.68%
2017 0 0%
2018 0 0%
2019 0 0%
2020 1 0.68%
2021 1 0.68%
2022 16 10.81%
Total: 148 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I guess I don't watch enough JJ Abrams movies

Think the X-Files (or Lost where JJ Abrams got his start?); where the plot episodes hint at a greater overarching Mystery, but ultimately the writers never had an actual ending in mind when they begun so ultimately in the end can never come up with anything that satisfies the audience after being dragged on and hyped up and the stakes raised for year after year.

There's a lot to like with the approach as both a writer and an audience member, anything that isn't explained just because food for thought for the audience to digest and speculate; its easy to just keep adding plot threads on top of plot threads like a sort of fight with a hydra to keep things fresh and interesting; and the audience gets to enjoy thinking about how these new elements relate to what they already know.

The problem of course is actually reconciling everything by the end in a way that is satisfying and rewarding to the audience is really really hard and like basically only Souls games can get away with not completely explaining everything.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Kild posted:

I wanna see that
Here you go.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

authors are here to stay

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Tales of Woe posted:

authors are here to stay

this

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
have you ever

ever felt like this

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its where everything started going wrong but i genuinely like lost. at least, the part before they started feeling obligated to answer questions

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the dharma initiative is freakin cool!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

its where everything started going wrong but i genuinely like lost. at least, the part before they started feeling obligated to answer questions

i assume by everything you mean like, the course of human history

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Think the X-Files (or Lost where JJ Abrams got his start?); where the plot episodes hint at a greater overarching Mystery, but ultimately the writers never had an actual ending in mind when they begun so ultimately in the end can never come up with anything that satisfies the audience after being dragged on and hyped up and the stakes raised for year after year.

There's a lot to like with the approach as both a writer and an audience member, anything that isn't explained just because food for thought for the audience to digest and speculate; its easy to just keep adding plot threads on top of plot threads like a sort of fight with a hydra to keep things fresh and interesting; and the audience gets to enjoy thinking about how these new elements relate to what they already know.

The problem of course is actually reconciling everything by the end in a way that is satisfying and rewarding to the audience is really really hard and like basically only Souls games can get away with not completely explaining everything.

I'm not sure I can respect dunking on the X Files

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

i assume by everything you mean like, the course of human history
largely

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Endorph posted:

'your posts are about to experience death of the author'
Lmao amazing

Arist posted:

Revealing that information earlier and letting the plot be about that information and the way it changes the story instead of spending the entire plot hiding things might make things more compelling. Or it can just reveal that the creator doesn't actually have much of a story to begin with. I dunno.
Case in point: Abrams could have given tangible support for Rey's parents. Not Yoda Alien with Glasses could have made an offhand comment about her being attuned to the echoes of the force or someshit, explaining her visions.
But that can was kicked down the line, and when Johnson chose her to be just another in a galaxy full of people,Abrams had to pull out the Sheev Fucks card to undo it.

A good twist is like The Watchmen's climax, which is in service of the themes of the work.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm not sure I can respect dunking on the X Files

I'm not, there's much to like about the X-Files; it's spinoff the Lone Gunmen especially; but I don't think "had a satisfying ending that wrapped up all of its plot threads" I ever understood to be one of those thing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Some else I am reminded of.

Awhile back I saw John Wick for the first time, thought it was pretty good. My dad also saw it, unbeknownst to me, so when I mentioned seeing it over dinner while visiting his eyes lit up with recognition and we talked about it for a bit. The sequel was about to come out so we decided to see it together. Neither of us liked it as much as the first, but that's whatever.

On the way back home we talked about it, and my dad mentions "You know, at some point, I just can't believe one guy can kill all those other guys. It strains suspension of disbelief," as one reason he didn't care for the movie, and I thought it was interesting because that wasn't a problem for me at all. For my dad, "This movie where one guy kills all those other guys in unrealistic," but for me, "This is a movie about someone who can kill all those other guys." Never mind what's believable for most people, John Wick is clearly presented as someone who can do these things, so that was never where my beef was.

Realism in media is often brought up as an all-or-nothing investment, jumping off Endorph's early point about weaseling away at even the smallest discrepancy, with a lot of storytelling styles that deliberately DON'T seek to ape reality getting left behind semi-arbitrarily.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

there was a point in time where I didn't have the hardware to play a mass effect and really wanted to try on account of all the magazines and people hyping it and how that gen of wRPGs in general were so much better than the ones I did have access to

today I could download the collection for free but then I remember any number of things and don't really care again. not even in a bandwagon sense but stuff like watching a bit of a LE stream and finding some of the writing goofy from the get-go or realizing how much stuff is just a red/blue commitment check

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

the best argument ive seen on this forum is that one guy whod post the most insane poo poo about madoka magica and whenever someone'd disprove his theories hed just go 'death of the author' until someone went 'your posts are about to experience death of the author'

lmao

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zetsubou-san posted:

have you ever

ever felt like this

these strange things happen

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

the best argument ive seen on this forum is that one guy whod post the most insane poo poo about madoka magica and whenever someone'd disprove his theories hed just go 'death of the author' until someone went 'your posts are about to experience death of the author'

lmao

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The thing with realism in media is that while it can be neat to explain things often times it's just better if all the characters treat everything as normal and don't try to justify it. Like Girls und Panzer did this great when it had a crowd show during the first match and you expect the crowd to either fully explain the setting or maybe roll their eyes cause tankery is absurd but they just end up cheering like mad and it's let you into the world much more. Same with Uma Musume, the first series tried to explain things a bit to much and it kinda of didn't work. Second just said screw it and we have like stuff made for horse girls but nobody questions it and it's just normal and it made things so much better

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Raenir Salazar posted:

My recollection of Lost is that they had the ending episode mostly done early on in the series, but very little plan for how to get there, and by the time they got there 5 seasons of plot and characters coming and going later, it was quite incongruous to what had been going on and who had been relevant to the plot, in addition to being a not very interesting resolution even if it had been done back in season 1.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

Lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

So hungry, a cruel winter

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

The Colonel posted:

why would you want an anniversary version of halo 3. the game already looks good. do you just want them to make an rtx version that crushes your gpu like a grape for no reason

like honestly the big reason i can't see it happening is cause halo 1 looked like half-life 1 and halo 2 had kinda weird models and lighting. halo 3 is like. it still looks good. there's no reason to change most of it it is still a very visually pleasing game

please dont compare the art direction to a sega saturn game. not all sega saturn games looked like willy wombat

Im Sorry. 😔

i was thinking of ronde but then i was all "uhhh maybe they're more like a janky ps1 game???"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

I miss lord justice

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There’s a few issues with a lot of internet critics and how they go about things but I bet there’s a lot of correlation between the bad ones like cinemasins and people who grew up on MST3K

Namtab fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 8, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Bad Seafood posted:

My favorite running gag in Cinema Sins is how often he sins something for not being explained that 1.) didn't need to be explained or 2.) was actually explained and he missed it.

I say running gag because Cinema Sins operates within the Internet's favorite Schrodinger's Box of everything being simultaneously sincere but also just a joke until forced into the light of day.

yesterday i watched the children's hour and it was really funny seeing that a contemporary reviewer blasted the movie about a kid ruining two womens' lives by telling everyone in town that they're lesbians as being riddled with plotholes, for not letting you hear what the kid was saying when she whispered into her grandma's ear that she thinks her teachers are lesbians. and also got mad that they don't show the court case, that they cut right after to having the cast mention that the court case ended in complete failure and why

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the only thing a twisty story that's twisty for the sake of being twisty keeps me guessing about is how many brain cells the author has left

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Endorph posted:

Is that the same weirdo who was wondering if magical girls could still get pregnant

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Colonel posted:

yesterday i watched the children's hour and it was really funny seeing that a contemporary reviewer blasted the movie about a kid ruining two womens' lives by telling everyone in town that they're lesbians as being riddled with plotholes, for not letting you hear what the kid was saying when she whispered into her grandma's ear that she thinks her teachers are lesbians. and also got mad that they don't show the court case, that they cut right after to having the cast mention that the court case ended in complete failure and why
I'm glad that one guy I watched Drive with's YouTube career has finally taken off.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you watched drive in 1961?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I misunderstood what you meant by contemporary.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not sure how i feel about the children's hour overall but i think it's kind of an unforgettable movie in how bleak and disgusting its portrayal of people is and it's kinda wild having a movie from the hays code era not only manage to explicitly be about homosexuality but also be a relatively nuanced depiction of internalized homophobia and generally sympathetic to the lesbian leads. interesting film that's probably easier to appreciate now that there's a lot more stories about lesbians that don't end with suicide and in some way it can serve more as a specific reflection of its time in the cruelty it depicts and the ways something that ultimately should be pretty harmless fucks with how people are brought up to think societally

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 8, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's no oniisama e though

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm pretty sure the ant that's being animated in Bocchi ep4 must be a queen ant because it has that waddle that queen ants tend to have; or rather they must have been studying the movements of a queen ant which they then based that particular ant's movement on.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WRONG it was a chimera ant and bocchi is now DEAD irl

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Namtab posted:

WRONG it was a chimera ant and bocchi is now DEAD irl

I keep trying to google this but only Hunter x Hunter comes up. Do you mean when some spiders pretend to be ants?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Raenir Salazar posted:

I keep trying to google this but only Hunter x Hunter comes up. Do you mean when some spiders pretend to be ants?

no its the hunter x hunter thing, theyre real

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Arist posted:

no its the hunter x hunter thing, theyre real

:aaa:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

you googled them? sorry but they're coming for you now

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010