Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Right. That's why a reference is just an additional data point. Doesn't make it an invalid one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
I've been having trouble landing an embedded engineering position with this resume; most of my interactions are getting a generic rejection letter. i know not having internships is killing me as well as my work history being IT centered. I'm looking for advice on this and i'm considering removing my IT work experience at company 3 and creating two resumes: one for fgpa and one for c/c++ embedded with a larger projects list since currently all I'm currently getting are IT poachers.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Spambort posted:

I've been having trouble landing an embedded engineering position with this resume; most of my interactions are getting a generic rejection letter. i know not having internships is killing me as well as my work history being IT centered. I'm looking for advice on this and i'm considering removing my IT work experience at company 3 and creating two resumes: one for fgpa and one for c/c++ embedded with a larger projects list since currently all I'm currently getting are IT poachers.

Same caveat I always give: not a hiring manager, just a guy who has read a bunch of resumes as part of hiring engineers and has helped a few coworkers write their resumes. If anyone here contradicts me, go with them.

First off, I suggest you read the OP if you have not already. The suggestion is to actually customize your resume for every position you apply for, so the HR drone will see the keywords they're looking for and move you along instead of discarding you. These people look at resumes for, like, 10 seconds or something so you need to make an impact and quick.

Normally I'd agree that if you don't want an IT position, you should consider removing the IT positions from your experience and just calling it "Recent Work Experience" or something. However, the timing of your schooling looks like it's alongside other work, so my guess is you had a job and did some form of adult education while working a different career full time, so that will make it a little tough to make a clean break that really controls the narrative. You could treat it like a recent grad with no experience and put in skills, education, coursework, projects, etc, but that might not paint the right picture either. It might take a few kicks to get this to feel satisfactory. This might be a place where some sort of summary statement might be necessary, but I think people are pretty down on summaries/objectives and other narrative sections on resumes.

You could try re-organizing your skills as bullets in columns to make it easier to extract the key points by the uninterested schmuck who's reading 70 of these in a day or whatever. The most relevant should be at the top, matching something in the JD that you're applying for if at all possible.

I say this every time but your resume should use past-tense action words. Your resume is pretty good for this but there are a few exceptions where you describe your duties, such as "Oversaw" etc. The OP also suggests that it should be a listing of your accomplishments not a list of your duties, though I've personally made it accomplishments first, then a little bit about duties in ways that paints an accomplished picture. It's more art than science.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Spambort posted:

I’m on mobile, but I would do a few structural items too:

Remove (additional available on request) for work history.

For your job, look at the job description you’re applying and use those exact terms the poster used. If you can implement UART or whatever, you can implement I2C, SPI, etc. Same with any of the like Xilinx boards or embedded languages. You’re applying for entry-level I assume, so you’re just expected to have a working understanding of what you list.

If the job needs someone who can implement I2C on an Arm Cortex A8, you should have an item like “Implemented I2C on an ARM whatever to interface with…”. (As an engineer, you should be able to do this anyway)

Make your bullets almost rewordings of the requirements of the position you apply, with minor adjustments to the specific technologies.

Don’t worry about IT poachers, they just grab keywords and shotgun recruitment letters. I get all sorts of irrelevant adjacent jobs that have an overlapping word.

Also, it could just be a tough time in your area/industry, depending on where you’re at. I think embedded is in a good spot but you might consider expanding your search radius.

I do think you’re doing a good job with adding quantifies and the like, but I might add some technical terms to a few items. For example, in “six sensors”, I might add a some specific technology you want to draw attention. (e.g. photodiode backscatter measurements, piezoelectric vibration sensors, etc). Super bonus if you have one of these that the job description wants. “something something six sensors, including X, Y, and Z types”

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 5, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What does your github repo look like?

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012

Lockback posted:

What does your github repo look like?

right now its two completed embedded projects from the year prior.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spambort posted:

right now its two completed embedded projects from the year prior.

I don't know much on the embedded space, but I'm guessing thats where they're looking and I can tell you when looking for junior developers repos that are sparse or have old projects in them is a really big strike against if they're not actively coding in their current role.

You can use the older projects as your demos or whatever, but I'd suggest getting more stuff in the repo in addition to the advice here. And yes, you want a couple resumes for the different types of roles/industries you're targetting.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Spambort posted:

Caveat: I hire chemists, chemEs, and MatScis so different field, but your main problem is that you’ve been out of school for 2 years and don’t have any direct paid experience in what you want to do.

Can you get relevant experience in your current role and leverage that? Even if it’s a couple hours a week, you could then lead with that experience.

Also, are you considering temp positions? A six month stint with relevant experience would drastically improve your resume.

You’ve got the degree and a solid work history that shows you can work a job. Those are your two main assets. Just missing the relevant experience piece.

Also “Additional work experience available on request” is weird to see. Include the relevant stuff and drop that phrase.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 5, 2023

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
Updated my resume with some of the changes noted. I'll add and reorder info based on the job posting but this is my base resume for embedded positions. I removed my github and will add it once i've updated github with my current project(s). I don't have room to list out skills and would like to keep it one page but I'm like how it looks.

Dik Hz posted:

Caveat: I hire chemists, chemEs, and MatScis so different field, but your main problem is that you’ve been out of school for 2 years and don’t have any direct paid experience in what you want to do.

Can you get relevant experience in your current role and leverage that? Even if it’s a couple hours a week, you could then lead with that experience.

Also, are you considering temp positions? A six month stint with relevant experience would drastically improve your resume.

You’ve got the degree and a solid work history that shows you can work a job. Those are your two main assets. Just missing the relevant experience piece.

Also “Additional work experience available on request” is weird to see. Include the relevant stuff and drop that phrase.
Yeah i'm definitely shooting for an entry level job, contract or other, because I definitely need some experience. Right now my only experience is going to come from independent projects which i've been working on. There's zero chance of getting embedded work at my current job, its all hardware centered stuff (fixing boards, installing a/v panels, designing and implementing schematics to make hardware battery powered).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I am not a graphic designer but having everything left-justified makes it hard to read imo. My eyes keep sliding off the page.

Like you have a BSEE there left justified, and then the other poo poo below it is about that BSEE. I would push that underneath the BSEE and indent it so it's clear that block of text is about your BSEE. Therefore, if I see you have a BSEE and that sufficiently checks the box to me, I can just jump right down easily to the next section.

I have more frequently seen Title - Company on the same line and think it works well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

A bad github might be better than no github, I dunno about your industry but I think getting one up there that's a little more fleshed out should be priority 1.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Spambort posted:

Updated my resume with some of the changes noted. I'll add and reorder info based on the job posting but this is my base resume for embedded positions. I removed my github and will add it once i've updated github with my current project(s). I don't have room to list out skills and would like to keep it one page but I'm like how it looks.

Yeah i'm definitely shooting for an entry level job, contract or other, because I definitely need some experience. Right now my only experience is going to come from independent projects which i've been working on. There's zero chance of getting embedded work at my current job, its all hardware centered stuff (fixing boards, installing a/v panels, designing and implementing schematics to make hardware battery powered).
For entry level contract work, directly call or email the contract agencies that are active in your field. A lot of contract work doesn’t get posted or is always open. Or moves so fast the recruiters only reach out to people they’re already working with.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Spambort posted:

quote:

Designed an indoor gas and air quality station utilizing FreeRTOS and a PSoC ARM Cortex-M3 Microcontroller.

I think items like this are significantly better. Gives waaaaay more context than just "designed a thing". Also, if I'm hiring, I assume that if I needed someone on a different ARM architecture, it would be within your ability to get something up and running on it.

1) You have PCB design on there twice. Also, in skills, if I see anything in skills that I don't see in a bullet somewhere else, I assume you barely know it. Like, when I look at "PCB design", I assume you made some idiot-level 4-layer board. If that's wrong, make it a line item in a work/project section and detail what your actual skill level is in words. (e.g., designed a 8-layer 1G board with controlled impedances and DFM integration with..". If it's not wrong and you indeed did create idiot-level PCBs, then it's fine.

2) I would flesh out your current position, it seems like Generic Tech Words that have no context (see the improvements you made to projects). Find some items that you want to emphasize and figure out a way to shoehorn it into a bullet. Seems kind of weird that you only have two minor items for your current role. I know you don't want tech work, but it's not a bad experience to have, especially early career. Your professional resume seems to rely on it as your most "relevant" position.

3) Maybe it's a style thing, but I wouldn't put "relevant coursework" in a degree you have. Like every EE knows "electronics" and "embedded systems", it's part of the coursework. It's like putting "calculus" on there.

4) If this were my resume, I would drop the education below the job experience, as it seems like you're pointing out more emphasis on your degree and less on what you do. I'm a mid-career EE and I go Experience > Education > Certifications > Patents & Research > Skills. I assume you don't have certifications or patents, but you could put your projects there instead. Having a degree is just a binary check for a lot of positions, I don't think it's super important to have at the very top.

5) I don't think there's anything wrong with tech work, which is why I would flesh it out more (especially as it's your current position). It's pretty normal for EE's to do tech work in college or pre-college, or start as techs, go "I want more money", and then grab an EE degree. I would just word your tech work in such a way that it points out that the skillset you learned as a tech will make you a better engineer. For instance, failure analysis, design debugging, documentation, working with assemblers, process controls, attention to detail, etc. I don't think anyone particularly cares about your ability to solder if you're going for an embedded position, but you can still add a few items that would be adjacently useful to an embedded position. e.g., "Debugged watchdog circuits using Saleae logic analyzers...", "Investigated failures on mixed-signal circuits...", "Performed rework on PCBA's and presented engineering process improvements to increase yield...", "Trained three technicians on...", "Participated in design reviews with mechanical engineering teams..." -- I'm sure you could pull something out of your rear end.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 6, 2023

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

If it's not wrong and you indeed did create idiot-level PCBs, then it's fine.
I'm definitely wetting my beak creating 1- & 2- layer PCBs so i'll leave it until I can design some thicker, smarter boards. Made the suggested changes and I think we're good?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I think it's good qualitatively, but a few sentences sound a bit weird and needs some grammar checking.

Eg, "Failure analysis and repair on 100+ hardware components and other issues necessary for events to run properly." (..and other issues?)

Depending on what you mean by "components" (like, you would assume that "components" meant some form of assembly or subassembly, not like a single transistor), you may have a single, more powerful sentence like the above. This is at least how I write. When I write bullets, I start by figuring out a major thing I want to point out in each bullet. Like one could be failure analysis, one could be rework, one could be training, and then I combine all the relevant words into a single point that encompasses my skillset in that area. Like you mention soldering a lot. I get that you might do it a lot, but it's in multiple bullets. Again, with soldering, if you have any spec you solder to or understand (e.g., IPC 600 series), I would point this out. You might not have the certification, but these can make you look way more competent.

You then mention "Utilized lab equipment required to resolve issues with PCB hardware such as soldering, desoldering, multimeters,
oscilloscopes, and component testers." Which is basically the first bullet, but with more detail (so I assume). I use "rework" instead of "soldering/desoldering/etc" because that's the term that's used in more engineering processes, but that's up to you.

I see your bullets right now as Failure Analysis, hardware installation, rework, and training. You could combine failure analysis and rework, or you could separate them and flesh each one our individually. Side note that "failure analysis" is about determining the cause of failure and how to prevent it in the future, while rework is about actually fixing the problem. I generally think of failure analysis as An Engineer Thing, and rework as A Tech Thing, fwiw.

Your bottom bullet is "Trained two technicians on failure diagnosis, documentation, and repair on malfunctioning hardware as well as
desoldering, soldering, and verifying repairs.", which seems to indicate that you're pointing out your ability to train, teach, and lead. (Side note: grammarwise, there's not a clear point of who is doing the "desoldering, soldering, and verifying repairs" -- I assume you meant you are doing that for them, but it's hard to understand).

Interestingly, on this line "Performed installation of hardware upgrades for live venues requiring soldering and mounting XLR/AES ports and CAT6 crimping and mounting.", I would assume there's some sort of specification you would use (safety, technical, wiring codes, etc) to validate that your setup is safe or effective. Could be "... in accordance with ISO420 and IEC69 guidelines" or similar. Now you sound like you can read a spec and understand how to implement a solution inside of a requirement. If I know you can follow electrical codes, you can follow a data sheet.

I like that your first bullet is a sort of one-liner that encompasses the broad nature of the work you did using mostly generic terms (I do this too), just so someone (i.e., any random idiot that looks at the resume) can understand the context of the work. The other bullets have details about the technologies and more detailed technical information, but like HR can look at the first line and go "oh yeah this guy Did This Thing, I understand These Words". e.g., "Provided phone and in-person support of Windows and Mac applications for 28,000+ students and faculty." -- any idiot can skim this line and understand the nature of the position. I like seeing these. However, this item seems to be missing for your current role.

All in all, I don't think it's bad, and it's certainly better writing than what I see from most engineers, so you probably aren't in a terrible spot as far as resumes go.

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
made some changes and added some fluff, not gonna clutter this page with another screen shot. thanks for all the advice.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm trying to apply for a non-profit gig and I have no experience in the sector. How do I make messing around with Photoshop for SA sound good?
The posting.

I know I'm a little out of depth in terms of not having gone to college, but it sounds like an intern/student level position.

Where I'm at with my cover letter:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I'm trying to apply for a non-profit gig and I have no experience in the sector. How do I make messing around with Photoshop for SA sound good?
The posting.

I know I'm a little out of depth in terms of not having gone to college, but it sounds like an intern/student level position.

The layout looks a bit written in crayon (use a Word template) but it’s a probably unpaid or barely paid non profit social media poster theater position. They’re probably pretty open to anyone friendly, has pulse, understands Facebook.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

The posting.

I'm on mobile so I haven't looked to deeply but I think you're worrying too much about the Photoshop thing. The posting is really looking for some sort of marketing coordinator with basic tech literacy. That should be how you frame yourself, not as a cell phone sales guy with some marketing experience.

I did a bit of digging on Lynn Trinh and she has a pretty big professional footprint online. I would try to figure out from that what kind of person she would like to work with. Your experience at the fringe festival and streaming is what I would lead with.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I am like iffy on my new job. It pays well and has good hours but I find the owners abrasive and my boss is a real "long islander." I am not really thinking of jumping ship but I had a weird situation today (1/11/23) and I wanted to talk. I got a call from someone I applied to on 7/26/22 They actually seemed like a better company, after I looked it up. Their floor was my current salary (which was already a 50% jump from my old salary) and the benefits sounded nicer. However, I didn't know that because I was driving home and I was surprised. I thought they were a recruiter at first because their name sounded like a iob recruiter company but they were a marketing company.

Honestly, I am really just kind of trying to get to at least 1 year at the current job, maybe 2. There are a lot of things I am not thrilled by. It was a good way to get out of the tax mill grind but this is not long term. But I also don't think I should just jump now. Was it stupid of me to dismiss the call out of hand, letting them know I found a new job? My feelings were "I had to apply no later than August and I'm getting a callback in Janaury so something must be wrong" but I'm not certain.

Edit: I'm not so mad that I feel that I need to run away today, but I will say that, while the pay and hours were a major step up, the environment was a major step down. The worst thing is my boss saying like borderline racist poo poo a lot. My old boss did that too but they worked remote so it didn't come up a lot at the old place. I loving hate Long Island. I definitely haven't found my dream job yet. But I know you should at least put a year in for image's sake.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 12, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Covok posted:

I am like iffy on my new job. It pays well and has good hours but I find the owners abrasive and my boss is a real "long islander."

Run

fake edit: you get one free short term job-hop per decade without anyone caring about it on your resume, and if you had a job-hop in 2020-2021 that doesn't count. I would at least have been willing to talk to them, you can always say no later and it's always nice BATNA enhancement in a salary negotiation to be able to say "I'm happy where I am but if you can meet me at $X..." (they have no way of knowing you're lying if you don't tell them)

fake edit 2: there isn't enough money in the world to entice me to work on Long Island

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Run

fake edit: you get one free short term job-hop per decade without anyone caring about it on your resume, and if you had a job-hop in 2020-2021 that doesn't count. I would at least have been willing to talk to them, you can always say no later and it's always nice BATNA enhancement in a salary negotiation to be able to say "I'm happy where I am but if you can meet me at $X..." (they have no way of knowing you're lying if you don't tell them)

fake edit 2: there isn't enough money in the world to entice me to work on Long Island

im pretty sure Covok is from Long Island

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Run

This other job would have also been on Long Island.

Edit: I don't feel as bad now. I checked my original application and it listed a pay range of 90k to 115k. So I felt stupid ignoring it out of hand. They just put up a new ad for 90k to 100k. And she did say they had downgraded it to an assitant controller position, which is what I have now. So, I don't feel as silly as before. Sure, I am only making 90k now but if I was going to job hop so soon and reestablish myself again then it would need to be for more.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 12, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

im pretty sure Covok is from Long Island

if so it sounds like he's trying to recover from it though

Covok
May 27, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

if so it sounds like he's trying to recover from it though

I am pretty sick of Long Island, tbh. It's a super deep red place and you hear a lot of awful poo poo from people all the time. Racism, homophobia, etc. But I own part of a house here so I can't essily just up and move and working in NYC is a huge pain in the rear end and would cost me money with trains and gas. And probably wouldn't be much better in the awful poo poo department.

You know, people like to claim NY is some liberal place but I haven't seen it.

My rant is over.

But, yeah, this other job would have just been near Freeport. Still Long Island.

Still, I think after this August or next August, I will give serious consideration to leaving. With a year or two there, it will probably be better. And my old job's non-solicitation will be gone so i can ever start my own business.

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.
Edit: Meant to post in corporate thread. I apologize.

Smif-N-Wessun fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 12, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

e: copied response over to the corporate thread

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 12, 2023

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I'm younger than most people ITT and got my undergrad recently, in an an area I don't intend to pursue (did my thesis in bioinformatics). I've been doing courses for my university's computer engineering program to acquire more solid skills because I definitely would rather work outside academia (so I have some limited experience from a few Python projects and coursework I've done with R, C++ etc but nothing major). My current job and what I've been doing while I finished my undergrad is totally unrelated to IT, and I would like to get an entry level position doing literally anything more relevant while I continue my schooling. (I posted in yospos about this awhile ago and got some great advice but I wasn't prepared to actually look for a job at that point)

So in a situation like this where I want to put together my first resume for even a basic entry level job and my only relevant experience is from coursework and a few projects, how should I structure my CV? (also any other recommendations)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Tosk posted:

I'm younger than most people ITT and got my undergrad recently, in an an area I don't intend to pursue (did my thesis in bioinformatics). I've been doing courses for my university's computer engineering program to acquire more solid skills because I definitely would rather work outside academia (so I have some limited experience from a few Python projects and coursework I've done with R, C++ etc but nothing major). My current job and what I've been doing while I finished my undergrad is totally unrelated to IT, and I would like to get an entry level position doing literally anything more relevant while I continue my schooling. (I posted in yospos about this awhile ago and got some great advice but I wasn't prepared to actually look for a job at that point)

So in a situation like this where I want to put together my first resume for even a basic entry level job and my only relevant experience is from coursework and a few projects, how should I structure my CV? (also any other recommendations)
First off, you need a resume and not a cv. You should reorder your experiences to match the job posting for each job you’re serious about applying for.

If it’s a generic corporate posting, lead with your experience working a job. If it’s a tech start-up talking about specific technology, lead with your closest projects. If it’s an entry level posting listing coursework requirements, lead with your degree and education.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

are they non-US because I think in other parts of the world the foreigners do different poo poo

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

My bad, I do live outside the US and people just use CV as a blanket term, but I meant resume. Thanks for the advice!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tosk posted:

In the US I've worked with at least one software engineer with a bioinformatics degree. This was at a big defense co. They ended up in software systems engineering.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
What do you do if a recruiter you were working with got laid off yesterday?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

TheWevel posted:

What do you do if a recruiter you were working with got laid off yesterday?

lol, "Hey, sorry to turn this around but any chance you have a job for me?"

If you were down the road with a particular company, contact the company. They should be able to take things up from there and will be more motivated to keep up momentum. If you haven't, you can try to reach out to the recruiting firm but I am guessing it'll be poo poo show. They may reach out to you, they may ghost you. I'd maybe reach out and then assume they cut you loose until you hear otherwise.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Lockback posted:

lol, "Hey, sorry to turn this around but any chance you have a job for me?"

If you were down the road with a particular company, contact the company. They should be able to take things up from there and will be more motivated to keep up momentum. If you haven't, you can try to reach out to the recruiting firm but I am guessing it'll be poo poo show. They may reach out to you, they may ghost you. I'd maybe reach out and then assume they cut you loose until you hear otherwise.

This was a corporate recruiter not a third party, so it's more likely they'll just hand me over to some other poor sap who is now overwhelmed. I haven't had the formal interview yet, just the first meeting with a recruiter to make sure I'm not a weirdo and a meeting with the hiring manager, I guess to make extra sure that I'm not a weirdo. I'll give it a few days and see what happens!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Oh, if its internal they laid off the recruiter because they don't intend to do much hiring. Maybe the role your looking at is a replacement head, maybe its about the get frozen out. I'd consider this a red flag, maybe a small one but keep it in mind in context.

A lot of companies overgrew in 2022 and had to shrink back to meet more realistic growth projections, which isn't a bad thing. But thats why recruiters are getting canned right now.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

With all the tech layoffs, I figure I should update my resume. I've been using the same format since grad school, 10+ years ago. Resumes I've seen when screening candidates tend to be that two-column format with a list of skills and self-created ratings. I'm a director, that feels like not something I should be using. So, does anyone have a good template?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Omne posted:

With all the tech layoffs, I figure I should update my resume. I've been using the same format since grad school, 10+ years ago. Resumes I've seen when screening candidates tend to be that two-column format with a list of skills and self-created ratings. I'm a director, that feels like not something I should be using. So, does anyone have a good template?

Yeah, definitely don't use ratings, that's kind of a junior level thing when you maybe can't highlight top skills in experience. My newest resume I started over from scratch and decided to go from a 1 column to a 2 column and I think it works pretty well. Kind of like this, but the top left is different so it feels less like a unbalanced 4 square:

The tried and true is basically like this, which is what I used to use

but that feels old and stodgy, maybe it was just tired to me, I dunno.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

Lockback posted:

The tried and true is basically like this, which is what I used to use

but that feels old and stodgy, maybe it was just tired to me, I dunno.

I worked at many recruitment agencies back in the day and my old colleagues still in the industry say they prefer this style. They know where to look right away and there's a certain confidence that comes across when a resume is well written with no-frills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

is it inappropriate to ask if an interview will be in person or zoom after being offered a time? I responded by email yes for the time and asked this yesterday, but have not heard back yet. interview is tomorrow so starting to worry I said something wrong.