Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
https://www.ign.com/articles/james-cameron-avatar-3-will-feature-fire-navi

RED NAVI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOJ7XtYvJPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

kalel posted:

sorry for calling you an idiot sunk dunk. you're a good poster. I appreciate that you're always asking thought-provoking questions and keeping the thread discussion moving so we're not just talking about loving star wars for the millionth time. I love you mwah

i knew it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
imagine I linked that clip of the nerd crew talking about red storm troopers

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The thing is though, there were some parts in star wars 8 that didn't make much sense

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

No Mods No Masters posted:

The thing is though, there were some parts in star wars 8 that didn't make much sense

:eyepop:

Pretty bold claim, duder. Never heard anything like this before. Gonna need you to debate this by posting your thoughts in excruciating detail

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the problem with tlj is that star wars 8 9

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

mallratcal posted:

Avatar 5 should have Electric Navi, Avatar 6 has Spider Navi, and Avatar 7 has the Navi that are made of vegetables.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I really enjoy having a Letterboxd account just for having a full list of what I've seen that I can sort and filter with ease, so much so that I even threw them some money for a subscription, but I don't rate movies whatsoever. I just no longer think about film, or music, or any kind of art, in numerical terms. It makes no sense to me to say "Oh yeah, that song is a 7 out of 10" or "That novel is a B+" or whatever. Oddly enough I really enjoy reading critics--I wrote many music and film reviews for official and unofficial publications all the way through college, and even considered it a possible career goal at times--but I just changed my thinking on grading systems. Also, even if I wanted to grade movies going forward, there's no way I could go back and rate every movie I've ever seen, and the inconsistency in having so many unrated movies on my list would kill that obsessive, orderly part of my stupid brain. It even bothers me when I see it on other people's accounts, I couldn't take that kind of chaos on my own profile.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

ohh the fire navi are gonna be south american natives huh

forcedstealthlevel
Jun 26, 2021

Crescent Wrench posted:

I really enjoy having a Letterboxd account just for having a full list of what I've seen that I can sort and filter with ease, so much so that I even threw them some money for a subscription, but I don't rate movies whatsoever. I just no longer think about film, or music, or any kind of art, in numerical terms. It makes no sense to me to say "Oh yeah, that song is a 7 out of 10" or "That novel is a B+" or whatever. Oddly enough I really enjoy reading critics--I wrote many music and film reviews for official and unofficial publications all the way through college, and even considered it a possible career goal at times--but I just changed my thinking on grading systems. Also, even if I wanted to grade movies going forward, there's no way I could go back and rate every movie I've ever seen, and the inconsistency in having so many unrated movies on my list would kill that obsessive, orderly part of my stupid brain. It even bothers me when I see it on other people's accounts, I couldn't take that kind of chaos on my own profile.

Ok

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
everything changed when the fire navi attacked

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think the 5/5 star rating should be reserved for a handful movies a year, maybe 1-2. Normally I rate movies in the 2-4 range. Statistically there should be a few 1/5 movies. but I don't go into movies blind so I basically avoid the movies I get a feeling that they are terrible.

I don't find the thumb up/down system better. I guess up/down system is for people who watch tons of movies including bad ones.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i’ve gotten back to the witcher 3 to try and finish up blood and wine at long last, and it’s reminded me not only did i never watch the second season of the netflix show, i only read about half the books, and i don’t know whether either of them are worth bothering with

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think all the witchin books are pretty good. There are non trivial diminishing returns as it goes on but still sufficiently fun

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

that witcher crap sucks. how do you blow it? just make a monster a week thing. guy fights a gremlin, boom.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I use a 1-10 scale

1 - no competence in any aspect, barely counts as a movie
2 - utterly terrible, but has things that make it a movie such as proper lighting and real actors
3 - I actively regret bothering to watch this
4 - would've skipped it but it doesn't make me feel bad for having seen it
5 - an adequate time waster
6 - an enjoyable time but I probably won't rewatch it
7 - I would rewatch it if it's on TV
8 - I might buy this, and would recommend it to other people
9 - I will buy this
10 - all timer

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The witchin show seemed awful to me from the jump. Only trust polish people with witchin

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I rate the concept of not using ratings to summarize the quality of a piece of art an 8/10

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

everything changed when the fire navi attacked

You fool! A single gram of Pandoran volcanic ash could power a starship for a million years. I don’t care that it’s sacred! gently caress them fire Na’Vi!

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Cubone posted:

I rate the concept of not using ratings to summarize the quality of a piece of art an 8/10

Cubone you scoundrel!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the king is back baybee

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i’ve gotten back to the witcher 3 to try and finish up blood and wine at long last, and it’s reminded me not only did i never watch the second season of the netflix show, i only read about half the books, and i don’t know whether either of them are worth bothering with

Season 1 is fun enough but I didn't bother finishing s2 because there's way too much fantasyland politics which are boring as hell and I don't care about, and not enough monster fighting

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

At this point I can only thank RJ for killing star wars

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Aren't most of the Witcher s1 plots from the book short stories? Those short stories are good. I don't think the series long palace drama is that interesting.

S1 still doesn't gel together, but you give it a pass (probably because the games did such a good job adopting the good part of the books so you thought it couldn't be that hard for a narrative TV show.)

BTW has the Polish GRRM approved the show or disowned it?

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 8, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think there has been some further negotiation in the year or two since I read about it, but my understanding is polish grum has been much more positive towards netflix than he ever was towards the game studio because he has a more favorable rights/royalties arrangement with them. It had the strong feeling that he thought all the adaptations belonged in the toilet and he just wanted to be paid as much as possible. To which, fair

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

X JAKK posted:

Avatar 5 should have Electric Navi, Avatar 6 has Spider Navi, and Avatar 7 has the Navi that are made of vegetables.

When do we get the Navi that are all googley-eyed and stupid as gently caress?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

When do we get the Navi that are all googley-eyed and stupid as gently caress?

That was the first Avatar.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
what does it even mean to call somebody by YOUR name?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Stink Billyums posted:

I use a 1-10 scale
For me a '5' is the worst thing a movie can be. Just a thing that happened for a couple hours that I watched and have no real feelings about one way or the other. With bad movies at least you're feeling something but when you sit down and watch 'Public Enemies' (for one example of my 5 rating) you just turn it off after the move ends and then go do something else. I'd rather a movie be awful than blandly competent.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

lets just say the witcher series has moved at least one polish person....

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

That DICK! posted:

lets just say the witcher series has moved at least one polish person....

TO A BIGGER HOVEL

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

this is all the thread is now and i'm very happy about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8912HjrppkQ&t=1s

Vakal
May 11, 2008
There's always Russian Witcher aka Wolfhound.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Weird to name your dick “one polish person”

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

well it aint polite to call 'em poles anymore

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Po’Lish

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
last two movies i watched were tar and licorice pizza, which i just finished. enjoyed them both very much.

was looking around online and there is a big chunk of people/critics who are only capable of engaging with media on the most basic, headline ripped political basis. so for tar it's all about the julliard lecture scene, and licorice pizza is all about the japanese accent and age difference. these are the only things many people have to comment on about these movies. prospectors sifting the soil for flecks of controversy.

it's not everybody though, obviously. i finish movies and have my thoughts then i want to wring a little more out of them, not just move on from the experience right away, but usually this reactive mass blares in my ear which makes me regret looking that stuff up at all, so i think i'll just stick to the wikipedia page from now on.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

If you want a fun Nicolas Cage movie check out matchstick men, just go in blind if you've never heard of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I watched Cocoon and wilford brimley talked about his boner

Also the look of the aliens in that film were creepier than almost any alien I can recall in a film. When Steve Gutenberg sees that one take her skin off the first time and she sees him through the keyhole it’s supremely creepy