Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i'll be moving to austria this year and i am curious as to whether it'd be better for me to use a mountain bike as my go-to, as i'll be living in a p mountainous area

You can put mtb gearing on anything these days if that's what you're thinking about. Austria has good roads, so the road riding will be good as well as the mountain biking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
After bleeding them and swapping pads, I realized I will never be comfortable descending mountains on my SRAM Rival Emonda.
So I did a tour of the local bike shops to see what they have with Ultegra and one of the dealer is doing -25% on S-Works Aethos Framesets.
Also in europe it seems to be possible to get almost any bike in a reasonable ammount of time these days.

I can get a bike built with 12 speed Ultegra di2 and Alpinist CL2 wheels for 8.8k€, this goes quite a bit beyond my original budget (6.5k).

Is this common to get such deals ?
And more importantly, will I notice a difference between a sworks frame and a "regular" spesh frame ? Or possibly will it be significantly easier to sell in a few yers (enough to retain the delta price in value) ?

Aethos Expert in Ultegra DI2 is 7k€ so this is quite a price hike for some better carbon in the frame and better wheels.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 7, 2023

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
There are plenty of people that ride Rival in the mountains but if that leads you to buying an SWORKS out of hate lmao

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Krogort posted:

After bleeding them and swapping pads, I realized I will never be comfortable descending mountains on my SRAM Rival Emonda.

What’s the problem with your Rival hydro brakes? What size rotors are you using, 140/160mm?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
They don't brake at all for most of the lever course then all the brake come rapidly at the end.
And there is no contact point to adjust so I have to have the lever far from the bar or else the shifters will hit the bar before I can put enough pressure on the brakes.

I have entry level Deore on my comuter and GRX on my gravel and those, although much cheaper than my road bike, do brake much better and are much more confidence inspiring.
I'm also a wimp and still brake a lot in mountain descents...

At first I thought about getting a Ultegra groupset but since it cost 2.5k to get one installed (probably a bit more than 1.5k after selling the old groupset) I also look at getting a new fancier bike.

Then a Giant TCR or Propel but none are available untill late in the year and I'd rather get something before the summer.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 7, 2023

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This sounds like some glazed pads or something, I can’t say I’ve seen an appreciable braking power difference between any hydro disc setup I’ve used.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
$14k Aethos is the answer.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

w4ddl3d33 posted:

are there any alpine goons in this thread?

i'll be moving to austria this year and i am curious as to whether it'd be better for me to use a mountain bike as my go-to, as i'll be living in a p mountainous area

Depends what you're riding. If you're on roads, I ride my local climbs with my lowest as a 50x28 and it's fine. And we're talking about back to back 3-4k vert passes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Krogort posted:

They don't brake at all for most of the lever course then all the brake come rapidly at the end.
And there is no contact point to adjust so I have to have the lever far from the bar or else the shifters will hit the bar before I can put enough pressure on the brakes.

I have entry level Deore on my comuter and GRX on my gravel and those, although much cheaper than my road bike, do brake much better and are much more confidence inspiring.

At first I thought about getting a Ultegra groupset but since it cost 2.5k to get one installed (probably a bit more than 1.5k after selling the old groupset) I also look at getting a new fancier bike.

Then a Giant TCR or Propel but none are available untill late in the year and I'd rather get something before the summer.

Upgrade shifters, new pads, new rotors and re-bleed.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

BraveUlysses posted:

Upgrade shifters, new pads, new rotors and re-bleed.

For what its worth, this is solid advice. The force shifters have throw adjustments. If you are pumping the brakes to build pressure, you probably have air in the lines.

With 160mm rotors on my rival setup the lever throw is short before I get beefy stopping power.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
my tyre is flat.

this is the third time my tyre has gone flat this week. i've had two inner tube changes since monday. is it worth just replacing the entire tyre? i'm so done with every little pebble giving me a bill to foot

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

w4ddl3d33 posted:

my tyre is flat.

this is the third time my tyre has gone flat this week. i've had two inner tube changes since monday. is it worth just replacing the entire tyre? i'm so done with every little pebble giving me a bill to foot

if its not overly worn, take the tire off and give it a really close inspection inside and out for any tiny pieces of stuck debris like a tiny glass or metal shard. some people like using a cotton ball to test for any snags to help find pointy stuff. rapid repeat flats are almost always due to a tiny piece of lodged debris.

note where the puncture is on the tube and try to correlate it to tire position to help.

might also check the wheel itself for any burrs or anything sharp, but unlikely i think

or if you're just fed up with it sure go ahead and replace it

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Krogort posted:

If you consider an Aethos to be an alternative to a Propel you may not know what you want at all. I’d wait at the very least till you can get the bike you really want if you’re spending that much.

I’m slightly confused that s-works Aethos exists as I’m not aware of anyone racing them (too noodley, not aero). But I guess price tiers are price tiers.

Your brakes probably just need another bleed - take it to a different shop and tell them the problem you’re having.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I’ve recently gotten back into riding, about 75/25 city/trail. I weigh about 280 and would like to pick up groceries (just small pannier loads, not cargo bike stuff), so I figure maybe 325-ish max.

My low-end commuter bike did not enjoy this experience, and I now have six broken spokes on my rear wheel. I was planning to replace it soon with a hybrid, but this has moved up my timeline.

My first plan had been a Sirrus X 2.0, but I was worried about the weight limit. The tech at my LBS told me not to worry about it except for the wheels, and that I’d probably need to swap in a 36-spoke rear. But he also warned me off Specialized, saying that their warranty coverage was bad and that parts were slow to arrive. I told him I’d noticed that the REI CTY bikes were on sale and he told me I should go with one of those and I could bring it in to have them upgrade the rear wheel.

What should I do here? A CTY 1.1 would save me $200+ over a Sirrus X 2.0 and I don’t care too much about high-end components at my level, but I’m worried I’ll hate the aluminum fork. Should I take his advice or go with the Sirrus? I see a poo poo ton of people happy with them online. Should I plan to upgrade my rear wheel either way?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Strava now wants 80/yr which is bananas

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E: nm I need to read better

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

BraveUlysses posted:

Doesn't seem excessive. $10/mo seems to be a baseline for a lot of services and RideWithGPS has been at least $80 for ages.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

sweat poteto posted:

Doesn't seem excessive. $10/mo seems to be a baseline for a lot of services and RideWithGPS has been at least $80 for ages.

Only for Premium. You can get the vast majority of the features for $50

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mines still saying its going to renew at $59 in a week or so, is it a regional thing?

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

BraveUlysses posted:

idk if i'm just not CYCLe PILLED ENOUGH but the free version suits me totally fine and i don't see the appeal of premium unless youre cycling 100+ miles a week and/or are a professional

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Krogort posted:

This isn't typical of rival brakes. Whoever bled them for you hosed up.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Krogort posted:

I’ve never had an issue with eTap or AXS brakes and I’m the type of person who attacks on descents in road races. I hope you didn’t try to use mineral oil or something like that.

One nice thing about having Force or Red level calipers is I can close the bleed port in the lever body and then slightly overpressurize the system with the syringe at the caliper. I can then close the bleed port on the caliper while maintaining overpressure by twisting the Bleeding Edge connector. This allows me to get exactly the feel I want.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

w4ddl3d33 posted:

idk if i'm just not CYCLe PILLED ENOUGH but the free version suits me totally fine and i don't see the appeal of premium unless youre cycling 100+ miles a week and/or are a professional

They keep tucking functionality behind the paywall. They came out of the gate too hot with too much for free, and they're paring it back as quickly as they can without tanking user numbers. The latest casualty I noticed was the year in review summary is now paywalled.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

w4ddl3d33 posted:

I try to do more than that every week as an amateur and I haven't seen anything on premium Strava that I couldn't do without. But I also don't have a power meter or any kind of HR monitor, maybe it makes a bigger difference if you have those?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

TacoHavoc posted:

They keep tucking functionality behind the paywall. They came out of the gate too hot with too much for free, and they're paring it back as quickly as they can without tanking user numbers. The latest casualty I noticed was the year in review summary is now paywalled.

Dumb move, the whole point of those is to a) reengage disengaged users and b) get people sharing them on social media. Paywalling that is terrible product management

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

TobinHatesYou posted:

I’ve never had an issue with eTap or AXS brakes and I’m the type of person who attacks on descents in road races. I hope you didn’t try to use mineral oil or something like that.

One nice thing about having Force or Red level calipers is I can close the bleed port in the lever body and then slightly overpressurize the system with the syringe at the caliper. I can then close the bleed port on the caliper while maintaining overpressure by twisting the Bleeding Edge connector. This allows me to get exactly the feel I want.

The SRAM brake fluid was used and not mineral oil.

Yea they do a S Works Aethos altough it's not a race bike, they even do S Works ebikes !
I considered the new propel because it's the same price, weight and geometry as the TCR. But they only have it in SRAM Red/Force and don't even have availability date for DI2.
Since I don't race and don't need or want an "Aero" bike. Heck I want to move away from 50mm wheels to 35mm just so I suffer less in crosswind.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Slavvy posted:

I try to do more than that every week as an amateur and I haven't seen anything on premium Strava that I couldn't do without. But I also don't have a power meter or any kind of HR monitor, maybe it makes a bigger difference if you have those?

The bit I miss the most is the ability to compare previous efforts, especially when I’ve done the same race multiple years in a row it was nice to be able to see how my fitness was this year. I don’t miss it enough to pay what Strava is asking though. Premium might be worth it if I needed any of the training features but last I checked Strava wasn’t really competitive there with the rest of the market.

Edit: premium is too expensive if you’re not using the training features, and the training features aren’t feature competitive with the rest of the market. If Strave loses critical mass of data it doesn’t really have any advantages over Garmin Connect.

Yeep fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 8, 2023

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Yeep posted:

The bit I miss the most is the ability to compare previous efforts, especially when I’ve done the same race multiple years in a row it was nice to be able to see how my fitness was this year. I don’t miss it enough to pay what Strava is asking though. Premium might be worth it if I needed any of the training features but last I checked Strava wasn’t really competitive there with the rest of the market.

Same, comparing similar ride or segment performance is a good feature.
For training load view, all the analytical parts isn't very good on Strava and you can get better load estimate and data visualisation on free websites such as https://intervals.icu/

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

BraveUlysses posted:

Thought it might be a US thing but they've updated the amount on my subscription too (59->69 euros), although it won't be billed for 8 months. Nice of them to let me know.

I'm not sure if I'll cancel. There's better places for making and finding routes like Komoot, and better places for training like Intervals, but I do like the convenience of having it all in one place. If they don't improve the route creation I'll probably swap to Komoot since that's just a one time purchase for maps and gives a much nicer breakdown of terrain on routes. Plus it's much better for hiking.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Guinness posted:

if its not overly worn, take the tire off and give it a really close inspection inside and out for any tiny pieces of stuck debris like a tiny glass or metal shard. some people like using a cotton ball to test for any snags to help find pointy stuff. rapid repeat flats are almost always due to a tiny piece of lodged debris.

note where the puncture is on the tube and try to correlate it to tire position to help.

might also check the wheel itself for any burrs or anything sharp, but unlikely i think

or if you're just fed up with it sure go ahead and replace it

Another thing to check is your rim tape, if it's worn it can stick through and cause regular puntures

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

wooger posted:

I’m slightly confused that s-works Aethos exists as I’m not aware of anyone racing them

The S-Works Aethos is the main point of it, to be super light. (Also it has been raced at the Tour by Kasper Asgreen)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Heliosicle posted:

Thought it might be a US thing but they've updated the amount on my subscription too (59->69 euros), although it won't be billed for 8 months. Nice of them to let me know.

I'm not sure if I'll cancel. There's better places for making and finding routes like Komoot, and better places for training like Intervals, but I do like the convenience of having it all in one place. If they don't improve the route creation I'll probably swap to Komoot since that's just a one time purchase for maps and gives a much nicer breakdown of terrain on routes. Plus it's much better for hiking.

Still on £48 per year for me, same as I've paid since 2015.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tobin - looks like Croder is redesigning the outer ring to fit the AXS PM. I just got this from them, which I think is perhaps a mock-up due to the color. I asked them if they’d swap the ring for me but no reply yet, and I’m not sure if they’re actually producing these yet.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The S-Works Aethos is the main point of it, to be super light. (Also it has been raced at the Tour by Kasper Asgreen)

Chris Riekert broke a chainstay with heel-rub while filming an Aethos promo video for NorCalCycling. That’s what prompted Specialized to delay its release. Apparently a non-trivial number of complete bikes break in shipping too.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Tobin - looks like Croder is redesigning the outer ring to fit the AXS PM. I just got this from them, which I think is perhaps a mock-up due to the color. I asked them if they’d swap the ring for me but no reply yet, and I’m not sure if they’re actually producing these yet.

Oooh, nice.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

BraveUlysses posted:

How do y’all feel about Garmin Connect? Their route planner is OK. Their metrics are OK. They have all the info to make a good dashboard and social experience but it is Garmin so they kind of act like “this is the way it is” and that is that.

The platform is completely free once you buy their hardware so I have always made it a point to have that be my repository.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I look at it occasionally for all the info my watch tracks like sleep, steps, resting HR but not really for rides and such. Same as how I never really browse the zwift feed or look at my rides in there since they go to strava. I pay for strava since it's nice to have the zone data and better leaderboards and the ability to download gpx files. I also use intervals.icu (free) which tracks "fitness" and gives a better breakdown of power and HR data. And pay for a year of veloviewer here and there to see how far i rode each bike in a year and stuff like that. Which, I guess it is kind of funny that I pay for strava and then use other services that take that data and do things it doesn't. Still look at strava the most though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 8, 2023

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I got a samsung watch a few years ago for fitness tracking and sync it with my phone occasionally. There's no subscription but it isn't tailored to cycling either

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
garmin connect annoys me. it's unintuitive, slow to load and finicky, imo. that said, strava isn't all that great either, but i do pay for it. i use komoot a lot for routes and have paid for it in the past but nowadays i usually just recreate the route manually in strava's route builder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I am happy to pay for Strava. I don't care about the advanced metrics, the "fitness score", that sort of thing. It is a pretty decent route builder and I like the training log design. The main reason why is I just like Strava as a social network in general. I like to post stuff and get kudos from my friends, and to see what my friends are doing and give them kudos. Yes, I can do that for free, but if Strava is making me happy, I feel like I should pay for that. I certainly get way more than $60 or $80 or whatever worth of happiness a year from Strava.