Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Huh? I have used an SN30 and a Pro 2 and they have always just worked with no problems whatsoever, since a few months ago

I didn’t try the Pro 2 on Deck, but the Ultimate absolutely wouldn’t connect no matter what mode I had it in until the latest Deck firmware update. I wasn’t alone in this one. I heard the Windows one worked but the Switch Ultimate with the hall sensor sticks just didn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Been playing some of the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles and have found myself surprisingly engrossed. I think the setting just works way better for me than the Phoenix Wright stuff, I always preferred sleuthing without all the modern methods of crime-solving. And it also just takes itself (somewhat) more seriously which makes it feel closer in tone to a Sherlock Holmes mystery. In fact the master sleuth himself makes an appearance as "Herlock Sholmes".

And of course being able to swap back and forth between Deck and PC is super convenient.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
So the Steam Dock would be great for party games, except it only has 3 USB ports! So how do you play 4 player Co Op games when each controller occupies a USB port?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Panfilo posted:

So the Steam Dock would be great for party games, except it only has 3 USB ports! So how do you play 4 player Co Op games when each controller occupies a USB port?
My dude its 2022, every controller you own is wireless.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm being told its 2023, actually. Also i like using a big usb-c extension cord and using the Deck as a controller also, instead of docking it. Thats me though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

this mfer trying to plug his dusty dualshock 2s into the fan vent

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

homeless snail posted:

My dude its 2022, every controller you own is wireless.

Yeah but it still needs the USB dongle to connect to.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

What controllers are you using that don't have bluetooth? Or, just buy a USB hub for $5 and get all the ports you need.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bluetooth is so poo poo though.

Unless whatever you’re trying to connect was specifically designed to connect to your device it’s a total crapshoot as to whether or not you’ll get it working reliably.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Good news about the Steam Deck then

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What controllers did they make that were specifically designed to connect to the steam deck

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Says here "All Of Them".

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

homeless snail posted:

What controllers are you using that don't have bluetooth? Or, just buy a USB hub for $5 and get all the ports you need.

The Steam Controller :negative:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Steam Controllers have bluetooth, you may need to update the firmware though.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/353370/view/3931035846865617357

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Bluetooth controllers connect instantly with the paired device for the past 10 years as long as both are on. It's different from headphones.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Bluetooth has improved a lot over the years (especially in windows) so if your experience is using a ten year old bt adapter to try to pair your playstation controller you might be surprised how much better it can work now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My experience with BT on Windows isn’t fantastic. As an example my Xbox controller randomly wouldn’t connect last week after months of use. I had to re-pair it.

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER
I’ve been using a current-gen Xbox controller for as long as I’ve had the Dock. It’s easy after (and during, honestly) the initial Bluetooth pairing…tap the power on the Deck and turn the controller on and away you go. I will say that it seems maybe a little laggy, I have a noticeably easier time in twitchy action games and music stuff playing directly on the Deck or on my PC than via the Dock. It should be fine for multiplayer party games though. You don’t need a bunch of cords everywhere.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Got a deck, it’s awesome - just wondering if remote play together is working on it at the moment and how I’d go about setting up a game? It’s not clear how to do this, any help would be much appreciated

Edit: Nevermind worked it out

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 8, 2023

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm using an Xbox series controller on the Deck, over BT, and after I updated its firmware and did a Linux hack on the Deck which got added to the OP, it has worked just fine for me with no issues whatsoever

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How's the higher end emulation situation on the Deck? There was some hype early on about it being a better Switch than a real Switch, and a decent PS3, but in my experience those kind of reports can be unreliable. Like how the Vita, God rest its soul, isn't actually great at SNES emulation.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My take is that Switch emulation isn't fantastic in general just yet, and that's not the Deck's fault but it's still true.

I had a really bad experience with my first serious Switch emulation project being Xenoblade 3, which runs like poo poo with default settings in every case and if you are running on an AMD chip there's apparently no way to get it running well at all. Guess what kind of GPU the Deck has?

That said that one specific game is probably a special case.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Switch emulation is better than I expected, I'll admit that. Some stuff runs as good or better than native. Most stuff in my experience is worse or subtly broken, to the degree that if you really want to believe then you might be able to convince yourself its playable but anyone that knows what its actually supposed to look like will think you're crazy. Some stuff just straight up doesn't work. You can't replace your Switch with a Steam Deck.

PS3 can emulate well but you need to let the shaders compile and for a lot of games that don't give you an opportunity to build a shader cache its a bad experience. A very constrained game like, Tokyo Jungle or Super Stardust or After Burner Climax, those play great after a couple minutes of shader caching.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I have heard rumors that the new Pokeymans run better on the Deck but (a) can't speak to that myself, and (b) it's a p low bar

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wouldn't call it fantastic, but my experience with Switch emulation on my pc was pretty good (I do have an Nvidia card, though). It showed how the Switch doesn't do games like Xenoblade 2 justice.

It felt like that moment when I first got my glasses.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

loquacius posted:

I have heard rumors that the new Pokeymans run better on the Deck but (a) can't speak to that myself, and (b) it's a p low bar

New pokemon runs like absolute garbage on the deck. It runs like absolute garbage on mid tier PCs. It’s… really bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It also runs like garbage on the switch so if you think about it that’s true emulation

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rinkles posted:

How's the higher end emulation situation on the Deck? There was some hype early on about it being a better Switch than a real Switch, and a decent PS3, but in my experience those kind of reports can be unreliable. Like how the Vita, God rest its soul, isn't actually great at SNES emulation.

Those reports of it being the true "Super Switch" are completely false, it'll emulate some Switch games really well but others are way more of a crapshoot and it definitely will run some stuff worse. Pokemon Sword is stuttery from shader compilation but playable, Mario Odyssey can hold 60fps in some smaller areas but collapses in any bigger open space, New Donk City is where it starts to approach unplayable levels and that's a game that runs at an almost locked 60fps on an actual Switch. Also you're limited to handheld mode 720p which is fine on the Deck screen but it won't look as good as the Switch if you dock it or if you're playing a game that limits itself too much in handheld mode (hello Xenoblade 2), you probably also are going to run into hard issues if you try to emulate a new game (hello Xenoblade 3) before the Yuzu devs have hacked in a bunch of fixes. PS3 is equally uneven, again some games will run perfectly but some won't reach full speed. The general consensus is that's mostly down to the Deck's low CPU core count as RPCS3 uses multi-core CPUs pretty heavily. As a general rule with those if you go on youtube and search [game name] ps3 steam deck you'll probably find someone showing its performance but always remember most emulation tests on Youtube only bother with the game's first level and won't see if there's serious issues that crop up later on. I've seen a lot of people for example say F-Zero GX runs perfectly on a system only for it to crumble into dust on the first Sand Ocean track which is a way more graphically intensive track than the first Mute City track everyone shows. For more of me being irritated by this stuff see also every Forza Horizon demo that shows the person driving a car around the world in a straight line alone rather than running the in-game benchmark or an actual race. Xbox emulation is also rough but a lot of games (including Halo) will run decently, and that's more down to Xemu still being pretty unoptimised. Wii U emulation however is drat near flawless, though some games have weird bugs. So if there's Wii U games that've been ported to the Switch, the Wii U version will likely run better on the Deck.

Anyway in stuff I've been playing on my Deck, Jedi Fallen Order runs fine despite being marked as unsupported if you don't get hosed over by the EA app. Also you do need to adjust some settings as it defaults to high which will not run at 60fps. I dropped it to medium and set the framerate limit to 45 (it doesn't have an option for 40) and it runs almost locked at that just fine. You could probably drop it to low for some battery life but I was fine with the just over 2 hours I got as that's the norm for the big AAA games.

loquacius posted:

It does not, you need a serious beef PC to brute force past that game's optimisation issues.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

njsykora posted:

Those reports of it being the true "Super Switch" are completely false, it'll emulate some Switch games really well but others are way more of a crapshoot and it definitely will run some stuff worse. Pokemon Sword is stuttery from shader compilation but playable, Mario Odyssey can hold 60fps in some smaller areas but collapses in any bigger open space, New Donk City is where it starts to approach unplayable levels and that's a game that runs at an almost locked 60fps on an actual Switch. Also you're limited to handheld mode 720p which is fine on the Deck screen but it won't look as good as the Switch if you dock it or if you're playing a game that limits itself too much in handheld mode (hello Xenoblade 2), you probably also are going to run into hard issues if you try to emulate a new game (hello Xenoblade 3) before the Yuzu devs have hacked in a bunch of fixes. PS3 is equally uneven, again some games will run perfectly but some won't reach full speed. The general consensus is that's mostly down to the Deck's low CPU core count as RPCS3 uses multi-core CPUs pretty heavily. As a general rule with those if you go on youtube and search [game name] ps3 steam deck you'll probably find someone showing its performance but always remember most emulation tests on Youtube only bother with the game's first level and won't see if there's serious issues that crop up later on. I've seen a lot of people for example say F-Zero GX runs perfectly on a system only for it to crumble into dust on the first Sand Ocean track which is a way more graphically intensive track than the first Mute City track everyone shows. For more of me being irritated by this stuff see also every Forza Horizon demo that shows the person driving a car around the world in a straight line alone rather than running the in-game benchmark or an actual race. Xbox emulation is also rough but a lot of games (including Halo) will run decently, and that's more down to Xemu still being pretty unoptimised. Wii U emulation however is drat near flawless, though some games have weird bugs. So if there's Wii U games that've been ported to the Switch, the Wii U version will likely run better on the Deck.

Anyway in stuff I've been playing on my Deck, Jedi Fallen Order runs fine despite being marked as unsupported if you don't get hosed over by the EA app. Also you do need to adjust some settings as it defaults to high which will not run at 60fps. I dropped it to medium and set the framerate limit to 45 (it doesn't have an option for 40) and it runs almost locked at that just fine. You could probably drop it to low for some battery life but I was fine with the just over 2 hours I got as that's the norm for the big AAA games.

It does not, you need a serious beef PC to brute force past that game's optimisation issues.

I just finished Jedi Fallen Order and the later planets definitely caused a lot of framerate dip but I was fine with it. However in all the graphics options for me, there actually was no Low, Medium was the lowest you could go

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
As a follow up to my self-answered remote play together question, anyone got any recommendations for good remote play together games? Just played some of the new Cuphead DLC stuff and it worked great

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Also, though this might go without saying, literally any multiplayer based switch game is a no-go (Splatoon 2-3, Tetris99, etc) when attempting to play on the deck.

Again, this is probably already assumed but I figure I'd mention it just in case.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rinkles posted:

PS3 seems fine as long as you're not expecting a perfect experience? I've got Marvel vs Capcom Ultimate and a handful of other PS3 games on my deck that all run pretty well, no noticeable drops in quality.

It takes a bit of doing to get PS3 games set up but not much more than it takes for other emulating other platforms.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mat Cauthon posted:

PS3 seems fine as long as you're not expecting a perfect experience? I've got Marvel vs Capcom Ultimate and a handful of other PS3 games on my deck that all run pretty well, no noticeable drops in quality.

It takes a bit of doing to get PS3 games set up but not much more than it takes for other emulating other platforms.

Yeah there's games that run perfectly, Tekken 6 and Heavenly Sword are good examples but also a lot of other games won't. It's very hit and miss.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mat Cauthon posted:

Armored Core 4 seemed to take a poo poo and crash but it also seems like it might just do that regardless, outside of playing it on the 360 emulator or on a proper console

Unicorn Gundam worked great though

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

RBA Starblade posted:

Armored Core 4 seemed to take a poo poo and crash but it also seems like it might just do that regardless, outside of playing it on the 360 emulator or on a proper console

Where did you crash and with what emulator? I'm well into chapter 3 with no performance or rendering issues (aside from the occasional crash after flipping through menus too quickly or something inconsequential) using RPCS3.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Has anyone else played Chained Echoes on their Deck? Works perfectly, it’s a turn-based RPG which is the absolute best thing for the Deck. I’m kinda enjoying the combat but the storytelling is pretty garbage, so am wondering whether it’s worth toiling any further.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Marx Headroom posted:

Where did you crash and with what emulator? I'm well into chapter 3 with no performance or rendering issues (aside from the occasional crash after flipping through menus too quickly or something inconsequential) using RPCS3.

Mission 2, inevitably with RPCS3. A cutscene starts to tear then audio cuts out and it freezes. I've tried fiddling with settings but nothing works for me - how'd you set up? I did have some texture issues at first but I resolved those

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Hm I didn't have that issue. Only used the configuration here:

https://wiki.rpcs3.net/index.php?title=Armored_Core_4

If you installed using EmuDeck, you could also try using the flatpak from Discover (or their site) instead since EmuDeck etc runs extra scripts on setup. Maybe something was toggled?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Marx Headroom posted:

Hm I didn't have that issue. Only used the configuration here:

https://wiki.rpcs3.net/index.php?title=Armored_Core_4

If you installed using EmuDeck, you could also try using the flatpak from Discover (or their site) instead since EmuDeck etc runs extra scripts on setup. Maybe something was toggled?

Yeah it was through EmuDeck, I'll check that thanks. On the plus side it's the only real game I've had issues sorting out emulation-wie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Been playing some of the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles and have found myself surprisingly engrossed. I think the setting just works way better for me than the Phoenix Wright stuff, I always preferred sleuthing without all the modern methods of crime-solving. And it also just takes itself (somewhat) more seriously which makes it feel closer in tone to a Sherlock Holmes mystery. In fact the master sleuth himself makes an appearance as "Herlock Sholmes".

And of course being able to swap back and forth between Deck and PC is super convenient.

having parts one and two together makes it the best ace attorney game

also, he was the actual sherlock holmes in the japanese version, they had change the names in localization because of copyright fuckery