Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

Every part of every game is optional.

Playing video games is disrespecting your time if you really think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The collectable that does nothing whatsoever ingame but makes a platform achievement pop up once you collect all 200 is one of the saddest objects in gaming.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There Is No Light: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1132980/There_Is_No_Light_Enhanced_Edition/

Just got its big post release patch. If you're in the mood for SOULSLIKE 2D INDIE PIXEL ART DARK FANTASY check it out.

(the setting is pretty cool and weird)

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The Case of the Golden Idol was also the case of me having a good time. What a fun little game, with a surprisingly engrossing story.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

I thought that Stux had an actual point to make for once but no, it was just Stux making Stux posts.

Welcome to the Steam thread :smith:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
gonna cry?

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

lol

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i always demand respect from my games. for my time, my money, my life choices. i want those games to look at me like a marine looks at the sergeant when the sergeant says, you maggot, you loving worm, you're a dum bfucking rear end in a top hat, which is also what i say to the video games when i'm playing them and they don't respect me

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

exquisite tea posted:

My time is not especially valuable.

I play games when I don’t have anything to do.

Works ‘cause I never have anything to do and therefore my time is worth nothing
:agesilaus:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Well, I finished God of War (2018). I liked the PS2 games a fair bit better, but overall it was pretty okay. The final boss was a big letdown, since over the top setpiece battles like that are pretty commonplace and happen multiple times throughout the PS2 games. The combat was weird and bad after awhile, they put in a decent block/dodge/parry system and then gave me runic attacks that let me swipe clean entire rooms of enemies every 45 seconds or so, and then they let me equip four different ones at a time with their own respective cooldowns and another Runic thing that lets me buff Kratos in some way. :stare: Literally one of the easiest games I have ever played, the only boss I found difficultywas the super secret hidden boss and I'll admit, that one was kind of tough until I figured out how to counter the one attack I didn't know how to counter. Overall, it's uh, well, I'm glad I didn't spend my own money on it, but I didn't hate it.

I don't really see the appeal of the playstation exclusive games at all, to be honest. Is it really just about the graphics? I mean, visually, it was a genuinely impressive game, the runic attacks are all little cutscenes with crazy over the top animations and that PS4-Era "Particle effects making GBS threads out of every polygon on the model" thing, but it was not much of a challenge, even on the highest difficulty. The parry window is insane too, although I did come off of it from Elden Ring which doesn't give you a full two seconds after telegraphing an attack to parry it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

As a very basic example of a game actively disrespecting your time:

Atom RPG models "realistic" secret bases, forests and settlements that your characters take several minutes to cross at a dead run. Each area has dozens if not hundreds of containers. 90% of them are empty or full of useless junk. 30% are locked. If your character doesn't have the lockpicking skills, you can't open locked containers. If he does, you get to roll over and over until you finally succeed. Only to discover there's nothing hiding inside this locked chest... but there might be something in the next 10 or so.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Stux posted:

your brain has rotted

You don't think there's sense in having testers play under the same kind of conditions actual players will?

My main point is it doesn't really matter if some small number of players get stuck because they can just look up a solution. If everyone gets stuck then yeah you've done something wrong. Or if when looking up the solution everyone's mad at how stupid it is or whatever. But if some small number get stuck it's probably better to just let them get stuck and look up the solution than it is to dumb down the game for everyone else.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Ed: nah

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 8, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Phigs posted:

You don't think there's sense in having testers play under the same kind of conditions actual players will?

My main point is it doesn't really matter if some small number of players get stuck because they can just look up a solution. If everyone gets stuck then yeah you've done something wrong. Or if when looking up the solution everyone's mad at how stupid it is or whatever. But if some small number get stuck it's probably better to just let them get stuck and look up the solution than it is to dumb down the game for everyone else.

Or you can be like Valve

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Or you can be like Valve

What does that mean?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Phigs posted:

I feel like playtesters should have access to a video lets play they can load up if they get stuck because that's the actual real world conditions. The real test should be whether the player likes the game enough to hit up the walkthrough or if they're just done the moment they get stuck, and how they feel after having seen how to do it in the walkthrough.

pretty sure playtesters get told exactly what to do if they repeatedly get stuck, it is their job to test the full game after all

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

ymgve posted:

pretty sure playtesters get told exactly what to do if they repeatedly get stuck, it is their job to test the full game after all

Playtesters wasn't the right word, focus groups is what I was talking about.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Phigs posted:

What does that mean?

Valve once designed a simple puzzle that a playtester couldn't figure out for an hour and removed it from Half Life 2 because they were deeply worried about it.

ymgve posted:

"Playtester" doing a lot of heavy lifting, since my understanding (from talking to devs) is that playtesting is basically done at every build possible and a lot of it is usually tedious poo poo like running your character along every wall of an area so it actually functions like a wall.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 8, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Anno posted:

And (I think) to Stux's prior point, I do hate when it's invoked to criticize a game that intentionally has lulls in its story or moment-to-moment gameplay. Games, music, movies whatever should have downtime, room to breathe and just exist. I don't want go go go all the time.

Regardless of anything else, there is a curious flavor of poster that gets amazingly aggro at the idea of a game having even a millisecond where they aren't pushing buttons to make something happen and they scare me a little.

Bad Seafood posted:

I see this in a lot of Ubisoft-style open world games. Climb every mountain for a checkbox. Collect every thermos. There's 300 of them scattered across the map. No hints, no puzzles, no challenges, sometimes even no benefits or unlockables. You'll get an achievement though. You like those, right?

In my experience, often the collectibles are hidden behind a small navigational puzzle or setpiece. But probably not all 300.

I think density is really the bigger issue in general. The majority of Arkham City's collectibles are hidden behind very, very obvious, screaming loud Riddler puzzles, but that doesn't actually automatically improve the experience despite qualifying as "real" Content.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I'll also add the Thermos collection is one of those 2000's era gaming things to encourage players to explore more because ho-lee-poo poo did it take way more effort to throw in some environmental art(source: remedy)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Phigs posted:

you shouldnt design your games for degenerates no, they should simply ignore that they exist

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Valve once designed a simple puzzle that a playtester couldn't figure out for an hour and removed it from Half Life 2 because they were deeply worried about it.

"Playtester" doing a lot of heavy lifting, since my understanding (from talking to devs) is that playtesting is basically done at every build possible and a lot of it is usually tedious poo poo like running your character along every wall of an area so it actually functions like a wall.

wait is this the "maze" that I heard of

did it get cut specifically because the tester assumed that the usual maze solution of "hug the left wall" was the way to figure it out and they ran in circles for an hour

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Maybe the tester thought there had to be something down the left path, because if not why was it there? So they had to triple check if they missed anything

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

SirSamVimes posted:

wait is this the "maze" that I heard of

did it get cut specifically because the tester assumed that the usual maze solution of "hug the left wall" was the way to figure it out and they ran in circles for an hour

Edit: For some nonsensical reason, the playtester named himself: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/3g5mmn/the_mind_of_a_playtester_halflife_2/

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Squiggle posted:

Honestly having any two of the three top regular posters in the thread on ignore at any given time makes it way less frustrating. I rotate them, like the faces of Janus.

Good point. It'd be nice having a games-focused thread where it's not some loving idiot constantly making GBS threads on games/peoples opinions.

But I shouldn't complain. It's usually the pieces of poo poo that need to take it out on everyone else because they hate themselves already anyway.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This thread is generating a lot of reports and a lot of lovely posting. Stop sniping and namecalling and talk about games for gently caress's sake. Stop just making GBS threads on each other constantly, it's not entertaining to read and it makes the whole thread a piece of boring poo poo.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

edit: nm

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I think of some games as disrespecting my time but its also basically parts of the game that are anti-fun to me. Or just less good. Let me skip to the good stuff please. Just give me the option.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao why would you ever admit to this

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it makes perfect sense that they would tbh

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For a 14 year old game, and there's no hiding that it's from the PS3 era, FUEL has it's moments.

This is with some minor mod enhancements, but I don't think they touch the graphics much.

Not for everyone, but it's a neat, unique take on a racing game. Very hands off. Feels pretty modern that way.

Also runs great even on an older system. Over 100fps most of the time with a GTX 970/R5 2600X at 1440p. (Delisted from Steam).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I understand getting lost in an actual maze but to keep turning right, and keep ending up in the same place, for *thirty minutes* without realising you're doing something wrong - how? I mean assuming the playtester was sober which they might not have been I suppose.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

HopperUK posted:

I understand getting lost in an actual maze but to keep turning right, and keep ending up in the same place, for *thirty minutes* without realising you're doing something wrong - how? I mean assuming the playtester was sober which they might not have been I suppose.

According to the guy's posts he just assumed that it would be very linear like the half-life levels he had experienced before

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Games can have bullshit time wasting but in my mind when people use the phrase "the game doesn't respect my time" I associate them with people who murder NPCs in games for being rude/annoying then getting mad when they can't complete a quest. It may not be a logical connection but its what my brain does for some reason.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It doesn't help it's a context-sensitive complaint people love to just drop in the middle of a conversation without providing the alleged context necessary to understand it until pressed further.

"I don't like this game," I say as I cross my arms, "It doesn't respect my time." I wait, smiling smugly, for either the invitation to continue or your term-less concession.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Anyway, video games are cool. I haven't played a video game all year.

I think I'll play one now.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

HopperUK posted:

To be fair the entirety of that section of The Lair has about as many visually distinctive landmarks as you'd expect from exploring a giant anthill in first-person and even without a red herring path to deliberately lead me back to the start I still somehow managed to go in a big circle two or three times.

Good thing they never got me to do focus testing

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've never really had trouble finding the correct way to go in games, but I've always attributed it to having more iron in my nose than the average person and thus having a more natural sense of magnetic north.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've never really had trouble finding the correct way to go in games, but I've always attributed it to having more iron in my nose than the average person and thus having a more natural sense of magnetic north.

It seems like a good power but if Magneto comes along you'll be in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

The Case of the Golden Idol was also the case of me having a good time. What a fun little game, with a surprisingly engrossing story.

Yeah just finished it too, was a great couple of hours. Though slightly bothered by realizing that one of the characters kinda looks like Beavis (of the Butthead fame) to me and then couldn’t shake that thought for the rest of it.