Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/JohnWFerguson/status/1611780615883587585?s=20&t=iDYc2Mqejev0Kxnoq-S4PQ

I actually forgot about this happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Assault with a deadly weapon?!? Did the DA try to claim it was literally a claw?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
The charges were dropped when they learned it was a White Claw.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

Assault with a deadly weapon?!? Did the DA try to claim it was literally a claw?

He threw the cans at Cruz's rear end so hard the cans were considered deadly weapons. Impressive.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
rear end Assault w/deadly Weapon

by Chuck Tingle

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
If it had been a Four Loko the cops would have shot him.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
White claws, for my family

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Texas has spoken. It's your god given right and duty to make sure Ted Cruz is hydrated by tossing him can after can of cheep alcohol. Overhand only.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think it's actually been mentioned here yet, but Kevin McCarthy is now Speaker of the House, on the 15th attempt

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

I don't think it's actually been mentioned here yet, but Kevin McCarthy is now Speaker of the House, on the 15th attempt

Prove it :colbert:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Your honor, my client was under the impression that there ain't no laws when you're drinking claws.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I thought this was also the hand signal for rear end in a top hat in Brazil

It is.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Angry_Ed posted:

Robviously posted:

House didn't even start and this fucker continues to get worse somehow

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1611435393291014144?t=cA2rHGkb1NpHuKHw4yAwAQ&s=19

This Arnold Toht-looking motherfucker.

Character actor Nelson Franklin's agent must be creaming themselves for the eventual biopic when this guy ends up self-immolating.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
"There are no laws when you're drinking 'claws!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

haveblue posted:

I doubt he holds that position for very long

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I knew that the fentanyl crisis was bad but I didn't know that it had added a horrible spin: the veterinary tranquilizer xylazine.

I feel like our country is on fire and instead of firemen all we get are more arsonists.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tranq-dope-animal-sedative-mixed-152242327.html

quote:

PHILADELPHIA — Over a matter of weeks, Tracey McCann watched in horror as the bruises she was accustomed to getting from injecting fentanyl began hardening into an armor of crusty, blackened tissue. Something must have gotten into the supply.
Switching corner dealers didn’t help. People were saying that everyone’s dope was being cut with something that was causing gruesome, painful wounds.
“I’d wake up in the morning crying because my arms were dying,” said McCann, 39.
In her shattered Philadelphia neighborhood, and increasingly in drug hot zones around the country, an animal tranquilizer called xylazine — known by street names like “tranq,” “tranq dope” and “zombie drug” — is being used to bulk up illicit fentanyl, making its impact even more devastating.
Xylazine causes wounds that erupt with a scaly dead tissue called eschar; untreated, they can lead to amputation. It induces a blackout stupor for hours, rendering users vulnerable to rape and robbery. When people come to, the high from the fentanyl has long since faded and they immediately crave more. Because xylazine is a sedative and not an opioid, it resists standard opioid overdose reversal treatments.
More than 90% of Philadelphia’s lab-tested dope samples were positive for xylazine, according to the most recent data.

quote:

A study published in June detected xylazine in the drug supply in 36 states and the District of Columbia. In New York City, xylazine has been found in 25% of drug samples, although health officials say the actual saturation is certainly greater. In November, the Food and Drug Administration issued a nationwide four-page xylazine alert to clinicians.
In December, the Office of National Drug Control Policy said it was tracking the spread closely, and the journal Pediatrics published an analysis of three cases of xylazine ingestion by toddlers.
But xylazine’s true prevalence is unknown. Hospitals don’t test for it. Some state medical examiners don’t routinely do so, either.

quote:

Brooke Peder, a 38-year-old tattoo artist nicknamed the Hood Grandma, rolled her wheelchair to the exchange check-in and handed over a gallon container filled with syringes. Her mother, sister and wife died of overdoses. Just over a year ago, her right leg had to be amputated because of an infection from a tranq wound that bore into the bone.
Peder, who has been using drugs in Kensington for 13 years, said she was eager to warn about tranq, especially to newbies arriving in the neighborhood, lured by its decades-old reputation as a drug marketplace. They come from all over the country. Many arrive with money and pay locals to seek out drugs, until they turn into locals themselves, she said.
She unrolled a bandage from elbow to palm. Beneath patches of blackened tissue, exposed white tendons and pus, the sheared flesh was hot and red. To stave off xylazine’s excruciating withdrawal, she said, she injects tranq dope several times a day. Fearful that injecting in a fresh site could create a new wound, she reluctantly shoots into her festering forearm.
“The tranq dope literally eats your flesh,” she said. “It’s self-destruction at its finest.”

quote:

One day in August, she caught a glimpse of herself: Normally weighing 150 pounds, she was down to 90. “I thought, I either need to do a lethal shot of xylazine or get the hell out of Kensington,” she said.
The only person who would let her use a cellphone was a guy whose arm and leg had been amputated because of his tranq wounds. He was still injecting into his leg stump.
She made her decision.
Now in her fifth month of sobriety at an intensive outpatient program near St. Louis and at a healthy weight, McCann is both stunned by and proud of her progress. From wrist to elbow, her meandering pink and purple scars are a road map of being lost and found. “People out here might think my arms look really ugly, but they aren’t familiar with tranq wounds yet,” she said. “To me, my arms look really beautiful now.”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Christ...that sounds similar to the Russian drug krokodil which causes those really nasty wounds

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The opioid problem is one that we could solve any day we wanted with the right application of money since its roots are in the homelessness and poverty problems, we just choose not to.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Christ...that sounds similar to the Russian drug krokodil which causes those really nasty wounds

Krokodil was most likely desomorphine.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

rear end Assault w/deadly Weapon

by Chuck Tingle

Pounded in the Butt by White Claw While Pounding White Claw

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Gumball Gumption posted:

The opioid problem is one that we could solve any day we wanted with the right application of money since its roots are in the homelessness and poverty problems, we just choose not to.

The opioid problems roots is pharmaceutical companies basically bribing doctors to prescribe as often as possible and Florida having basically no rules for prescriptions for a good decade.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Looking at the pharmacology of xylazine, because I was wondering how it was causing the eschars, but it looks like it's a cascading effect from the drug's primary: it causes a brief bout of hypertension (high blood pressure) followed by a combination of hypotension (low BP), bradycardia (lowered heart rate), and respiratory depression, which reduces oxygenation of blood and skin, which impairs the healing process. And if some injecting this into the same location constantly, it's aggravating the injection site wound to the point it gets to where it gets necrotizing. Also, it's not covered in the article excerpt, but the pharmacokinetics has been known to cause type 2 diabetes and hyperglycemia, which also impair healing process.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, the issue with krokodil and it's disfiguring side-effects had less to do with the drug itself more to do with the purification process: the Russians making this weren't using particularly cautious to what they used separate the codeine from over-the-counter cough medicine, using such particularly healthy chemicals like battery acid and paint thinner, or using excessive quantities of lye or hydrochloric acid, which spiked the pH levels. All of this lead to a perfect storm of toxicity.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Looking at the pharmacology of xylazine, because I was wondering how it was causing the eschars, but it looks like it's a cascading effect from the drug's primary: it causes a brief bout of hypertension (high blood pressure) followed by a combination of hypotension (low BP), bradycardia (lowered heart rate), and respiratory depression, which reduces oxygenation of blood and skin, which impairs the healing process. And if some injecting this into the same location constantly, it's aggravating the injection site wound to the point it gets to where it gets necrotizing. Also, it's not covered in the article excerpt, but the pharmacokinetics has been known to cause type 2 diabetes and hyperglycemia, which also impair healing process.

Yeah, the issue with krokodil and it's disfiguring side-effects had less to do with the drug itself more to do with the purification process: the Russians making this weren't using particularly cautious to what they used separate the codeine from over-the-counter cough medicine, using such particularly healthy chemicals like battery acid and paint thinner, or using excessive quantities of lye or hydrochloric acid, which spiked the pH levels. All of this lead to a perfect storm of toxicity.

Yeah, I got curious and found this https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9482722/ which suggests what you're saying, it's damaging the skin and it's not able to fight off infection.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The opioid problems roots is pharmaceutical companies basically bribing doctors to prescribe as often as possible and Florida having basically no rules for prescriptions for a good decade.

Well yes, that too. That's also a problem we could have solved for a long time and didn't because it was profitable enough that there was opposition to fixing it.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

this would not be an issue if there was not a huge amount of people desperate to anesthetize themselves against the intolerable conditions of poverty, loneliness, etc. that they are in

at other times in history access to the hard stuff has been much, much easier and not resulted in this magnitude of death

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean we're still not really stopping anything with the opioid epidemic

As far as I can tell it's a combination of blame China for fentanyl, arrest addicts, and then just shrug.

The biggest 'win' was that Perdue Pharmaceuticals had to mostly shut down, but they paid a pretty paltry fine and the family in control of the company isn't really facing much in the way of consequences. As far as I can tell, there really isn't anything stopping another company from just doing the same poo poo again, since in the big HBO doc about the opioid crisis, they talked for awhile about how there is so much regulatory capture of the FDA by the pharmaceutical industry that if a company does shady poo poo like this again, they'll just offer the FDA regulators like 10x what they make to become Pharma lobbyists to prevent any real consequences.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, I got curious and found this https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9482722/ which suggests what you're saying, it's damaging the skin and it's not able to fight off infection.

It supposedly used as an emergency treatment for tetanus, so it's meant to be used sparingly. If you're using it chronically, it'll just compound the damage done.

The weird thing I found is that the overdose dosage for xylazine was between 40mg-2400mg, just a loving huge range. No wonder the FDA never accepted it for human use.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HookedOnChthonics posted:

this would not be an issue if there was not a huge amount of people desperate to anesthetize themselves against the intolerable conditions of poverty, loneliness, etc. that they are in

at other times in history access to the hard stuff has been much, much easier and not resulted in this magnitude of death

I thought the opioid epidemic was a consequence of pharmaceutical companies incentivizing doctors to heavily overprescribe highly addictive drugs with insufficient caution or controls, driving many patients to become addicted and continue to seek the drugs afterward.

Portraying it as "people desperate to anesthetize themselves against the intolerable conditions of poverty" is, I think, incredibly uncharitable at best. It looks sympathetic at first glance, but it's really just a slight reframing of War On Drugs narratives on addiction: it's based on the idea that drug addiction is simply a result of poor people lacking willpower and driving themselves to death to escape their unhappiness, rather than a physical dependence. Though of course, those kinds of narratives long predate the War On Drugs - it's long been convenient for the elites selling the drugs to suggest that addiction is just poor people becoming obsessed.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Young Freud posted:

The weird thing I found is that the overdose dosage for xylazine was between 40mg-2400mg, just a loving huge range. No wonder the FDA never accepted it for human use.
I think those are just random doses that killed somebody. Nobody's running rigorous "exactly how much of this drug is usually lethal" studies at above-therapeutic levels for drugs that you aren't going to use in people anyway and you won't get well-known numbers from mystery street drug overdoses

For horses, dogs, and cats, it's 0.5-1mg/kg IV for sedation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

I thought the opioid epidemic was a consequence of pharmaceutical companies incentivizing doctors to heavily overprescribe highly addictive drugs with insufficient caution or controls, driving many patients to become addicted and continue to seek the drugs afterward.

Portraying it as "people desperate to anesthetize themselves against the intolerable conditions of poverty" is, I think, incredibly uncharitable at best. It looks sympathetic at first glance, but it's really just a slight reframing of War On Drugs narratives on addiction: it's based on the idea that drug addiction is simply a result of poor people lacking willpower and driving themselves to death to escape their unhappiness, rather than a physical dependence. Though of course, those kinds of narratives long predate the War On Drugs - it's long been convenient for the elites selling the drugs to suggest that addiction is just poor people becoming obsessed.

Pretty sure it's a little bit of both. Capitalism creates the material conditions that drive people to seek relief from them, and capitalism also pushes a terrible solution on them. That's not the same as saying it's their fault for not being strong enough.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Fister Roboto posted:

Pretty sure it's a little bit of both. Capitalism creates the material conditions that drive people to seek relief from them, and capitalism also pushes a terrible solution on them. That's not the same as saying it's their fault for not being strong enough.

This requires you to believe that the rich and comfortable aren't eager to go and get high. The real answer is that the many rich people who become addicts have the resources to get out of crippling addictions, or at least not be driven down to getting a fix from something that leads to rotting your limbs off.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

This is completely missing the entire point of the post that sparked this conversation (that hard drugs were far more freely available in the past but we did not see widespread addiction) in order to make some nebulous point about everything bad coming from capitalism.

It also assumes rich happy people don't do drugs.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

I am not sure this is true, it confuses legality with ease of access. You could buy medicine with heroin or cocaine in it over the counter in the past, but those drugs are still available, it's just illegal. If you're referring to fentanyl deaths, I'm not sure a drug that is lethal in such small dosages has ever been widely available.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Although it wouldn't change the behavior of the people with power I don't think that they truly comprehend the horrors they've unleashed and perpetuate. The everyday horrors playing out in every city and town from coast to coast as human lives are essentially tossed into a blender and liquified before being poured down the drain.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Killer robot posted:

This requires you to believe that the rich and comfortable aren't eager to go and get high. The real answer is that the many rich people who become addicts have the resources to get out of crippling addictions, or at least not be driven down to getting a fix from something that leads to rotting your limbs off.

Bourgeoisie drug use being inherently different in make-up and consequence-free when compared to the drugs available to the working class is not an argument against Capitalism being the source of the societal problem.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A significant factor in this process is a series of cases, including principally Washington Legal Foundation v. Henney, which effectively ruined the FDA's ability to exert tight control over physician prescribing practices for drugs, facilitating the programmatic (and now incredibly difficult to reverse) proliferation of off-label use. FDA's legal divisions are basically paralyzed in many offlabel drug marketing contexts because of these precedents.

The Washington Legal Foundation is basically one of the most harmful actors in DC- they're very effective at bringing well-targeted test cases intended to force deregulatory precedent, and they're sophisticated enough to plan for additional actions based on different possible case outcomes.

Offlabeling has been the preferred target for industry because while FDA's CDER has capture problems (ones that will be made much worse by the pandemic, see e.g. the Aduhelm mess), capturing an agency can only go so far, and it's expensive and can set different industry groups against each other (some parts of industry benefit from regulations, depending on the circumstances). Capturing physicians through sales and influence is much cheaper, and direct marketing and comms from industry is something they would have to do anyway to market their products. Training seminars and incredibly inexpensive branded gifts and low-quality research are all easier to target to physicians, who are self-regulated through state boards.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 9, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean we're still not really stopping anything with the opioid epidemic

As far as I can tell it's a combination of blame China for fentanyl, arrest addicts, and then just shrug.

The biggest 'win' was that Perdue Pharmaceuticals had to mostly shut down, but they paid a pretty paltry fine and the family in control of the company isn't really facing much in the way of consequences. As far as I can tell, there really isn't anything stopping another company from just doing the same poo poo again, since in the big HBO doc about the opioid crisis, they talked for awhile about how there is so much regulatory capture of the FDA by the pharmaceutical industry that if a company does shady poo poo like this again, they'll just offer the FDA regulators like 10x what they make to become Pharma lobbyists to prevent any real consequences.

"Hilarious" personal anecdote: my mom's doctor had been prescribing her Tramadol with the exact same "it's not addictive!" spiel that doctors had been saying about Oxycotin, until he suddenly decided she didn't need to be on it anymore. Soon after I saw some stories about people with Tramadol addictions. :thunk:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Killer robot posted:

DeadlyMuffin posted:

This is completely missing the entire point of the post that sparked this conversation (that hard drugs were far more freely available in the past but we did not see widespread addiction) in order to make some nebulous point about everything bad coming from capitalism.

I'm genuinely confused why both of you think I'm making this assumption. I didn't say that this was the only reason that anyone uses drugs. Yes, obviously the rich are able to do drugs recreationally with not a lot of negative consequences to their health or social status. I didn't say otherwise.

And yes this may come as a surprise, but capitalism - the inescapable system that we all live in - does indeed cause a lot of problems. I didn't say that everything bad is caused by it, so that's a pretty extreme mischaracterization of my post.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I am not sure this is true, it confuses legality with ease of access. You could buy medicine with heroin or cocaine in it over the counter in the past, but those drugs are still available, it's just illegal. If you're referring to fentanyl deaths, I'm not sure a drug that is lethal in such small dosages has ever been widely available.

It all started in response to my post and lmao capitalism is absolutely the problem. Wealth decides if your drug problem is life destroying or a fun but kind of dangerous hobby. It's not the rich opioid addicts using stuff that's been cut with vet meds.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 9, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

In the case of the opioid epidemic, it wasn't that people were seeking relief from "the material conditions of capitalism", it's that they were seeking relief from things like injuries or post-surgical pain. Their doctor prescribed oxycontin or something as a routine painkiller, and they got addicted.

To repeat myself, it's actually bad to describe drug addiction as poor people taking drugs because they're unhappy. Even if you're trying to blame the reasons they're unhappy, it's still a narrative that treats addiction as a choice rather than as a condition. And that's especially crappy when it comes to the opioid crisis, which was created by unscrupulous pharmaceutical companies deceiving doctors into prescribing highly addictive substances for legitimate medical reasons.

Gumball Gumption said earlier that the roots of the opioid epidemic were in homelessness and poverty, but that's mixing up cause and effect. It's certainly true that there's a lot of homeless opioid addicts. But they didn't start using drugs because they were homeless - rather, they became homeless because they were addicted to drugs. Substance abuse disorders are expensive, and tend to destroy a person's financial health as well as their physical health.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

It all started in response to my post and lmao capitalism is absolutely the problem. Wealth decides if your drug problem is life destroying or a fun but kind of dangerous hobby. It's not the rich opioid addicts using stuff that's been cut with vet meds.

Yah those people who on a whim got prescribed an opioid after their dental surgery.

The capitalism criticism goes to the after stuff with opioids, not so much the before in this case.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
MP is mostly right there. A lot of people end up in poverty with opioid addictions because our healthcare system sucks and they're trying to self medicate for pain issues, injuries, psych issues, etc, and they can't afford or get coverage. But they can get opioids, which they already may have received a small amount of thanks to the Pharma industry pushing doctors to prescribe it for anything.

While some people may get into drugs as a self medication for the pain of *being* poor, a lot of the times it's the cause of being poor and homeless.

The main difference between poor addicts and wealthy ones is that the wealthy ones weren't driven into poverty by their addictions, because they were wealthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Main Paineframe posted:

Gumball Gumption said earlier that the roots of the opioid epidemic were in homelessness and poverty, but that's mixing up cause and effect. It's certainly true that there's a lot of homeless opioid addicts. But they didn't start using drugs because they were homeless - rather, they became homeless because they were addicted to drugs.

I generally feel like it runs both ways. Economic desperation is incredibly stressful and mentally toxic to most people, no matter how mentally 'strong,' and it creates the conditions for people to ease into substance abuse disorders just to try to get back any semblance of pleasure in their lives, especially when their families are running pretty close to the waterline.