Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Hello, I think Elden Ring was the best game of the year, please probe me because of it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

Another wonderful countdown. Am suddenly feeling in the mood for a probe.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Thanks for all for the posts, especially the effort kind. Probe me

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Clicked on Rarity's avatar like 30 pages ago and got the winner spoiled :lol: well, not really, because this outcome was inevitable but deserved.

Thanks for the tabulations and writing! I love making lists!!

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
FINAL FANTASY IS DEAD. ITS DEAD FOREVER. ARMOURED CORE FOR 2023

PROBE ME IN MY ECSTACY

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Great countdown and thanks again for running the thread Rarity. Give me a probe now for the eventual year I do end up with enough free time to play ER.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Elden Ring

Ooooooooooo Probe Me Ring

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OK cool, games I voted for got 2nd, 6th, 38th and 40th. Also there were a bunch more that I've played and liked.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im calling horizon "assassins crood" now

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Tosk posted:

9. Persona 2: Innocent Sin

persona 2... :yeshaha:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Booky we should both play Live a Live in 2023.

we Should.

im still catching up on the thread but, im excited to see the winners of this years countdown!!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Here are the statistics that I, personally, me, the poster 'Metis of the Hallway' calculated and plotted and drafted and all of that myself, with no help or input from anyone else at all.

Without further ado:

Here's the ordination this year. The input data for this was how people ranked the games int he final top ten. Any game they didn't rank was assigned a 0.

The way to read this is a bit tricky, but the general idea is that arrows points in the same direction means those games tended to receive similar values. If they point in opposite directions, ranking one highly means you probably ranked the other lower. If they're at right angles, there's no relationship between how people ranked those two games. The bigger the arrows, the stronger the relationship. The point of an ordination is to try to collapse as much of this ten-dimensional dataset into two dimensions as possible so it can be visualized; however, only 40% of the data got captured in this way, and 60% of the true variation isn't pictured at all. The two names that are unreadable because they're right on top of each other are the two pokemon games lol.

And secondly, here's a list of times where an underdog game tended to do better than a highly ranked game when people played both, but the underdog did worse because fewer people played it. Maybe it'll tell you what to play next. Who knows.

If you liked Elden Ring consider playing:
Crystal Project (4 people played both, and 50% preferred this)

If you liked Pentiment consider playing:
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (4 people played both, and 50% preferred this)
Horizon: Forbidden West (6 people played both, and 50% preferred this)
Kirby and the Forgotten Land (4 people played both, and 75% preferred this)
Dwarf Fortress (8 people played both, and 50% preferred this)
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (3 people played both, and 67% preferred this)

If you liked Vampire Survivors consider playing:
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (6 people played both, and 67% preferred this)
Triangle Strategy (3 people played both, and 100% preferred this)
Horizon: Forbidden West (4 people played both, and 75% preferred this)
Citizen Sleeper (8 people played both, and 62% preferred this)
Neon White (6 people played both, and 50% preferred this)
Inscryption (5 people played both, and 60% preferred this)

If you liked Xenoblade Chronicles 3 consider playing:
Horizon: Forbidden West (4 people played both, and 75% preferred this)
Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker (3 people played both, and 67% preferred this)
Live-A-Live (4 people played both, and 50% preferred this)

If you liked Triangle Strategy consider playing:
Citizen Sleeper (5 people played both, and 60% preferred this)
Dwarf Fortress (3 people played both, and 67% preferred this)
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles (3 people played both, and 67% preferred this)

If you liked Horizon: Forbidden West consider playing:
Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker (6 people played both, and 83% preferred this)
Citizen Sleeper (3 people played both, and 67% preferred this)
Disco Elysium (3 people played both, and 100% preferred this)
Inscryption (3 people played both, and 100% preferred this)
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (3 people played both, and 100% preferred this)

If you liked Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker consider playing:

If you liked Citizen Sleeper consider playing:

If you liked AI: The Somnium Files: NirvanA Initiative consider playing:
Neon White (4 people played both, and 50% preferred this)
Live-A-Live (3 people played both, and 67% preferred this)

If you liked Kirby and the Forgotten Land consider playing:
Disco Elysium (3 people played both, and 100% preferred this)
Neon White (3 people played both, and 67% preferred this)
Live-A-Live (6 people played both, and 67% preferred this)

If you liked Inscryption consider playing:
Bloodborne (3 people played both, and 100% preferred this)

post by cheetah7071

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its insane that AI likers didnt play norco

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
To quote me from the PS5 thread re: our latest game of the year:

CaptainRat posted:

Best game I've ever played, I'm extremely impatient to finish it so I can start over with a different character.

I will absolutely be playing Pentiment as soon as I'm released, I bought it and then my PC died in a spectacular and disgusting way and I haven't gotten around to fixing it.

Please give me the GotY sixer, play Elden Ring and don't look up poo poo about it until you do.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Congratulations to the obvious winner. But also congratulations to Pokemon for doing so well, it really deserved it this year. Hopefully it only continues to improve with further content as 2023 goes on.

The Year of the RPG has already started strong for me, as I've begun replaying the 3DS remake of Radiant Historia, and am remembering why I loved this game so much the first time around. Can't wait to talk about it in my list next year! Exciting stuff. And there will be more to enjoy. The year of Silksong is upon us...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for doing this again this year Rarity and VG and everyone else who helped or wrote lists. It’s a really great and positive celebration of gaming, and a wonderful thread to read every year.

Rarity posted:

One year I should go back to the old thread to see if people actually ended up voting for the games they said they were gonna vote for at the start of the year

I’m calling my shot on three games that will appear on my list for next year:

elden ring (maybe even a repeat winner, if there’s dlc…. but even without, seamless coop and reforged will get it on the list anyway)
demon souls
kings field ancient city

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I wish Sifu had ranked higher but I know that it being tied to the Epic store is a complete nonstarter for a number of people. I'd hope its release on Steam (edit: And Xbox!) this year will prompt more people to give it a shot but realistically it's been out for PS4 and 5/Switch and that didn't seem to move the needle so I'm unsure how much Steam is going to help.

I'm surprised to see such a gap between Norco and Citizen Sleeper, and to see Citizen Sleeper come in as low as it did. Norco was obviously more of an indie pick this year than I had thought and I think perhaps my impression of how well it had penetrated general gaming consciousness was just a reflection of most of the gaming sources I follow gushing over it because they're generally into those kinds of weird narrative adventures already.

The biggest surprise out of the list for me though was God of War Ragnarok clocking in at #8. I think this might have been the opposite effect - gaming outlets have been shouting to the heavens about this game non-stop and so I had assumed it was going into the Top 5 at least. The fact that it's a Sony exclusive probably dampens its mass appeal though.

At any rate, any and all of my grumpiness at my other favourite games coming in so low is more than made up for by Pentiment being #2 - clearly I'd underestimated it!

Thanks once again to Rarity and VG for running the thread, to all the posters who listed their best games this year whether they were short one-liners or massive effort posts, and to the cool statsgoons doing analysis after the fact.

Edit: Corrected platforms!

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 8, 2023

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Here's the ordination this year.

post by cheetah7071

What I gathered from this is that everyone should play Neon White and/or Dwarf Fortress.

Mode 7 posted:

I wish Sifu had ranked higher but I know that it being tied to the Epic store is a complete nonstarter for a number of people. I'd hope its release on Steam this year will prompt more people to give it a shot but realistically it's been out for PS4 and 5/Xbox Series/Switch and that didn't seem to move the needle so I'm unsure how much Steam is going to help.

I don't think it's on Xbox yet. March, I think.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Oh wow, I thought it had an Xbox release already.

I wonder if this means it'll turn up on Game Pass. It seems like a good candidate for it.

Edit: It does appear to be coming to Game Pass, cool!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

That's great. I wanted to play it, but I don't have a PlayStation and lol EGS. Will definitely give it a go in March!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its funny because I found Citizen Sleeper immediately forgettable (partially because mid game or so you can bypass the entire games core mechanics and do literally everything no consequence) while NORCO did it for me. Seeing it flipped was a definite "we like these games but this clicked way better for others, bucko"

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 8, 2023

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Elden Ring GOTY as it should be and I deserve to be killed for 6 hours for thinking it

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Hat tip for everyone who recommended Returnal — I picked it up a few days ago and I’m hooked. Got to the bad end and now I’m looking for the last Sunface in biome 6.

After this will be Pentiment and Citizen Sleeper.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Metis of the Hallway posted:

If you liked Citizen Sleeper consider playing:

amazing

EDIT: I skipped Norco, it sounds like a misery simulator. Citizen Sleeper at least is hopeful about community.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

lunar detritus posted:

amazing

EDIT: I skipped Norco, it sounds like a misery simulator.

wrong

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Thanks for all of your hard work in this glorious thread.

I have been on these forums for coming up to twenty years, and never once received anything on my rap sheet.

It is Pristine. Spotless. Without blemish.

I can think of no more appropriate time for it to become...

Tarnished.

Please hit me with a celebratory sixer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lunar detritus posted:

amazing

EDIT: I skipped Norco, it sounds like a misery simulator. Citizen Sleeper at least is hopeful about community.

You can buy drugs off Santa, its not a misery simulator at all

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Incredible, thank you so much Rarity and VG and everyone who contributed.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

thanks for all the work rarity and vg.

there's a poo poo ton of games that got added to my backlog. i think i need to play triangle strategy first. after mh: rise which i am enjoying a lot right now and I think will make my list this year.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

xedo posted:

wuggles posted:

biceps crimes posted:

Morphogenic96 posted:

MMF Freeway posted:

Aipsh posted:

Arrrthritis posted:

Infinitum posted:

CaptainRat posted:

broken pixel posted:

CuriousSymptoms posted:

much like sekiro, dodging a probation was too easy for me, im too fast

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I wonder if this is the most present-year games in a SA GOTY list. i actually have no idea

2022 list vs my list:
75. Perfect Tides - 12th
69. Harvestella - 34th
66. Total War: Warhammer III - (not interested)
65. Marvel Snap - DNP (not interested)
64. Last Call BBS - DNP (but I might in 2023)
62. Grounded - DNP (I played for a little bit, don't know if it's my thing)
61. Sifu - DNP (but I might play in 2023)
59. I Was a Teenage Exocolonist - DNP (but i will try to play in 2023)
58. Crystal Project - 1st
57. Sonic Frontiers - DNP (not interested)
56. Rogue Legacy 2 - DNP (not interested)
53. Victoria 3 - DNP (not interested)
51. Hardspace: Shipbreaker - DNP (but I might play in 2023)
50. GT7 - DNP (not interested)
46. Powerwash Simulator - 47th
45. Tinykin - 3rd
38. Marvel's Midnight Suns - DNP (not interested)
37. The Case of the Golden Idol - 21st
36. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins - DNP (but will play in 2023)
34. Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - DNP (not interested)
33. Immortality - DNP (not interested)
32. FE: Three Hopes - DNP (not interested)
31. Tactics Ogre Reborn - DNP (not interested)
30. Norco - 4th
29. Return to Monkey Island - 13th
22. Splatoon 3 - DNP
21. Live-a-Live Remake - 23rd
20. Dwarf Fortress - DNP (not interested)
19. Signalis - 11th
18. Neon White - DNP (but I will try to play in 2023)
16. Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - DNP (not interested)
15. Stray - 28th
14. Kirby & the Forgotten Land - 5th
13. AI: the Nirvana Initiative DNP (but I will play in 2023)
12. Citizen Sleeper - DNP (but I will play in 2023)
11. Tunic - 14th
10. Pokemon Legends: Arceus - DNP (not interested)
8. God of War: Ragnarok - DNP (not interested)
7. Pokemon Scarlet/Violet - DNP (not interested)
6. Horizon: Forbidden West - DNP (not interested)
5. Triangle Strategy - DNP (not interested)
4. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - DNP (idk if I will play it)
3. Vampire Survivors - DNR (I didn't enjoy it)
2. Pentiment - DNP (but I will definitely play in 2023)
1. Elden Ring - 9th

top 10 games in my list that didn't make the cut: Grapple Dog (2nd), Prodeus (6th, this surprised me, I thought it'd sneak in), Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course (7th), Souldiers (8th), Trails from Zero (10th)

games I hope people give a look in 2023: Crystal Project, of course; Souldiers, Perfect Tides, Taiji, Sunday Gold, Cultic, Sephonie, Harvestella, Strange Horticulture, Blood Nova, This Way Madness Lies

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 8, 2023

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i would just like to give myself a shout out for having the best(?) pull quote for elden ring by simply stating "you meet a guy with a weird hat"

also, just for posterity, here's my top 10 again and where those games placed:

10. Uncharted 4 Remastered ---- didn't place
9. Bloodborne ---- #42
8. Tunic ---- #11
7. Ghost of Tsushima Iki Island + Legends ---- #55
6. Neon White ---- #18
5. Returnal Ascension ---- #27
4. God of War Ragnarok ---- #8
3. The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe ---- didn't place (sad! this is an old game that got a really thoughtful rerelease on consoles for the first time with added content. i hope more goons play this more than anything else on my list)
2. Dark Souls 3 ---- didn't place
1. Elden Ring ---- #1 baybeeeeee weird hat all day may chaos take the world!!!

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 8, 2023

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

So another statistics post.

This year there were 217 votes (up from 196) casting a total of 11,636 points (up from 10130).

38.2% of all points were awarded to games that didn't make it into the top 75. 18% were for games only listed by one person. This is holding relatively steady from 37.5% and 19.6% last year.

For the second year running the Most Generic Goon is Barreft, who's top 5 is (again) exactly 7 places from aggregate ranking.

Barreft posted:

5. Pokemon Scarlet
- This is the best Pokemon game. I mostly play it on Ryujinx now if I want a smooth experience, but it was my 2nd most played Switch game this year at 70 hours (that's ignoring all the emu hours on PC which would be 90 maybe)

4. Vampire Survivors
- Play on the PC, Deck, or Phone on the shitter. A+ Quality Experience every time.

3. Triangle Strategy
- This game is incredible. It renewed my interest in SRPGs and I went on to spend way too many hours in Tactics Ogre Reborn and FE: Three Houses)

2. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
- I couldn't get through 1 or 2. 2 especially was way too anime. But 3 had me glued on my rear end from start to finish, over 100 hours into it and I loved it all. It made me tear up.

1. Elden Ring
- It's Elden Ring. If we're still alive in 20 years we'll be talking about this game like it's Mario or Zelda. Masterpiece.

The top overperformers
ELDEN RING (#1), with 136 votes (almost 2/3rds of all voters) at an average rank of 2.2
PENTIMENT (#2), with 38 votes at an average rank of 3.2
XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 3 (#4), with 31 votes at an average rank of 3.5
TRIANGLE STRATEGY (#5), with 30 votes at an average rank of 3.8
DISCO ELYSIUM (#17), with 16 votes at an average rank of 3.0

As Rarity pointed out, PERFECT TIDES is also of note, making it on the list despite only having three votes due to having an average rank of 1.67.

The underperformers are a bit more interesting, as it has a number of games that would have placed much higher if all listings were treated equally
NORCO (#30->#24), with 16 votes at an average rank of 6.3
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: SHREDDER'S REVENGE (->#54), with 7 votes at an average rank of 7.1
TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER III (#66->#46), with 8 votes at an average rank of 7.0
POTIONOMICS, with 5 votes at an average rank of 8.0
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2 (->63), with 6 votes at an average rank of 7.7
STRAY (#15->#9), with 28 votes at an average rank of 6.1
GENSHIN IMPACT, with 4 votes at an average rank of 8.8
FORTNITE (#70->#47), with 8 votes at an average rank of 7.3
GRAN TURISMO 7 (->#37), with 10 votes at an average rank of 7.0
DEATHLOOP (->#64), with 6 votes at an average rank of 8.0

THE BIG CHART (more pink = more years)

I might try to do some kind of network based model later in the week, but one has to balance posting with gaming.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Ducked out of the thread so I could binge read everyone's posts and everyone brought their A game, couldn't be happier with the results :3: Thanks again Rarity and Videogames for your hard work

I bristle at Wobbledogs not being a notable title though. It brought so much to both the Dogs and Wobbling genre :colbert:

E: I'll take a RingProbe even though it was my #2. Might as well give the game a chance to screw me one last time :v:

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 8, 2023

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Microcline posted:

So another statistics post.

This year there were 217 votes (up from 196) casting a total of 11,636 points (up from 10130).

38.2% of all points were awarded to games that didn't make it into the top 75. 18% were for games only listed by one person. This is holding relatively steady from 37.5% and 19.6% last year.

For the second year running the Most Generic Goon is Barreft, who's top 5 is (again) exactly 7 places from aggregate ranking.

The top overperformers
ELDEN RING (#1), with 136 votes (almost 2/3rds of all voters) at an average rank of 2.2
PENTIMENT (#2), with 38 votes at an average rank of 3.2
XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 3 (#4), with 31 votes at an average rank of 3.5
TRIANGLE STRATEGY (#5), with 30 votes at an average rank of 3.8
DISCO ELYSIUM (#17), with 16 votes at an average rank of 3.0

As Rarity pointed out, PERFECT TIDES is also of note, making it on the list despite only having three votes due to having an average rank of 1.67.

The underperformers are a bit more interesting, as it has a number of games that would have placed much higher if all listings were treated equally
NORCO (#30->#24), with 16 votes at an average rank of 6.3
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: SHREDDER'S REVENGE (->#54), with 7 votes at an average rank of 7.1
TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER III (#66->#46), with 8 votes at an average rank of 7.0
POTIONOMICS, with 5 votes at an average rank of 8.0
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2 (->63), with 6 votes at an average rank of 7.7
STRAY (#15->#9), with 28 votes at an average rank of 6.1
GENSHIN IMPACT, with 4 votes at an average rank of 8.8
FORTNITE (#70->#47), with 8 votes at an average rank of 7.3
GRAN TURISMO 7 (->#37), with 10 votes at an average rank of 7.0
DEATHLOOP (->#64), with 6 votes at an average rank of 8.0

THE BIG CHART (more pink = more years)

I might try to do some kind of network based model later in the week, but one has to balance posting with gaming.

I love this

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I should probably finish Elden Ring one day, I was having fun but got distracted by terminal RPG ADHD.

Also wow, I showed up in the pull quotes a lot, huh?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the only reason Perfect Tides didn't make my top 10 was because i just played too many games

it was 1 point away from tying with Elden Ring and Trails from Zero

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Amazing. One of my runners-up (my unranked #10-#6 spots) made it to #51 on the final chart; none of the other nine games I listed even made it into the top list and I'm pretty sure that in a bunch of them I was the only person who voted for them! I didn't think my tastes in games were that niche...

Thank you Rarity & VG for running this cool and chill thread, maybe next year the stars will align and I'll even be able to join in during the countdown. :comfysamus:

fridge corn posted:

Enough time to get a little Valkyrie Profile in before we start. So far it's my number 1 goty for 2023!

Valkyrie Profile is so good, I got the true ending on the PSX and enjoyed it to bits. It has some major warts (half-hour-long unskippable cutscenes, "easy" difficulty actually being the hardest and locking you out of the true ending), but it handles great, it's stylish as hell and I've never played anything else with a combat system quite like it.

I tried VP2 and Resonance of Fate afterwards and bounced off them both despite really wanting to like them; I think the transition to 3d combat killed a lot of the fun for me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'd like a celebratory sixer with this image

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

are elden ring probes still being given out? i'll take one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'll give some postlist props to Vampire Survivors which I've been playing over the last few days, I can easily see why people like it so much since it's a straight up dopamine factory. I can't help feeling used by it after I'm done playing though.

All games are ways of killing time, let's not kid ourselves, but VS feels almost especially egregious for how easily it sucks time away without really leaving any lasting impression other than the sensation that I just popped a load of bubblewrap over the course of three hours. It's definitely not as stupid as it looks and there's a level of challenge there, but man is it like eating a bag of raw sugar in game form.

List has also encouraged me to grab Monkey Island. I don't know why I was so hesitant because I grew up with the games and played them all start to end, I think maybe I was being too cynical about their ability to keep the vibe alive v:shobon:v