Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SuperTeeJay posted:

The 27GR95QE. A few rather enthusiastic/amateur reviews have dropped on YouTube already.

It's probably worth waiting for a reviewer who knows what they're talking about to weigh in, but the upcoming 27" OLED monitors (which all use the same LG panel) should be unbeatable for contrast and motion clarity.

Cool, last time I checked there were a few videos that pretend to be reviews but actually just talk nonsense over promotional video. I'm not dropping a grand on a 27" screen anyway but I'm curious to see how it really works.

But speaking of people knowing what they're talking about, this guy doesn't know how to set the monitor height correctly lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsghy4pc04g&t=168s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

change my name posted:

Just be warned that the LG one uses a matte finish that apparently mutes it a bit, according to the Youtube reviews that went up recently

Does LG not know about curtains? Somebody should tell them.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Bad Purchase posted:

as a ground dwelling animal, your eyes were not meant to peer above the horizon

vertically stacked monitors are for birds and monkeys

I forgot to address this comment. I'd say neither are our necks meant for constant twisting.

Luckily this is something everyone can test even with single monitor. Sit in front of the monitor in the ergonomic position with your eyes at the top edge level. Then glance up with your eyes like there was a monitor, see how long you could keep doing this. Then try glancing at a side monitor. You will immediately notice your nose leaves an annoying shadow over half the monitor. It is also slightly more straining for the eyes.

Now try the same with your neck. Looking up isn't too bad, but you wouldn't want to do that for extended time. If you do the same with a side monitor you can immediately feel the strain in your neck muscles.

I'm acutely aware of these issues because I have three monitors in J-configuration. The center monitor is a 27" that I use 90% of the time. Above it is another 27" that is basically dedicated for showing YouTube and other video streams. It easy to occasionally glance at video I'm mostly listening while reading the forums in the main screen. If there is a longer video I want to pay attention to I can just lean back on my chair, put my head on the headrest and watch in comfort. On the left side I have a 24" in portrait orientation dedicated to showing IRC and Discord windows, maybe the occasional ping-window or something else temporary. The monitor is in portrait so that the windows are as close to the center as possible. And since I usually only need a short glance to read a line or two while a movement on the side of my eye it's not too bad. If there is a longer text I can turn my chair. The problems arises when I need to type a longer text. Twisting my neck quickly becomes painful and I can't turn the chair because then the keyboard would be on the side. It's pretty much easier to type longer posts in notepad in the center monitor and copy-paste it to Discord.

If you are one of those people who put the monitor seam in the center, then I'm sorry to hear about your strabismus. I use one of the monitors vast majority of the time, why the hell would I force myself to twist my neck constantly! In a work scenario there is a more even distribution between monitors, but even then one of the monitors sees more use. If I had two monitors and came across a job that requires both I'd probably scoot my chair and keyboard half a monitor-width to the side. We have shared desks with 2*27" setups at the office and my usual arrangement is a center monitor and side monitor raised high, with the laptop below the center in front of keyboard.

wemgo posted:

Sounds like some people havent yet surrounded themselves with 360 degrees of monitor

I WILL have a hemispherical monitor setup before i die

As it happens, just couple days before your post someone had asked in the VR megathread if VR headsets are finally good enough for desktop use. We have all dreamed of hacker monitor wall and VR is of course the ultimate stage.

I sort of have experience with this concept through playing VR Elite Dangerous extensively. You a sitting in your ship looking ou to space. On your left is a display panel showing map and on the right a display for ship systems. When you are playing flatscreen you use a keyboard shortcut to switch which direction you are looking. In VR that would seem unnatural and not as immersive, it makes more sense to just look around. Well turns out those ships really have an atrocious ergonomic design. Twisting your neck 90 degrees to look at a map is anything but comfortable.

At the end of the day none of us actually want a monitor wall or VR desktop, they aren't suitable for human ergonomics. What I would actually want are the eyes of a hawk. Then I could have a half a dozen 4K cellphone screens in front of me and I could see everything and barely move my eyes. When you build hemi-monitors remember to make them mobile. Press a button, make a handsign or flick your frist and the whole thing spins around.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thank you for this post; it might have a significant impact on my future monitor purchases and I can see myself going 1x2 ultrawide instead of 3x1 (were it not for games that don't support 21:9 being weird about such a thing).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ammanas posted:

Looking for a 27" 1440p monitor with minimal bezel and great picture quality, good refresh rate, budget around $500. im super tempted to pre-order that 27" 1k LG oled but feels too expensive

There's a huge gap between $300 and $1000 right now. You can get a great 165hz monitor with close to the best motion clarity and picture quality non-FALD LCD panels have to offer for $300 or less. If you want something better, there's the out-of-stock Coolermaster GP27Q for $500, or the LG OLED for $1k. There are also some 240+ hz monitors available somewhere in the middle here, but they aren't a very big step up in terms of motion clarity, and they won't have better picture quality.

The GP27Q is the compromise option that fits within your budget, if you can wait for it to come back. It has a 576-zone mini-LED backlight for really good HDR contrast and a very high peak brightness for punchy visuals. It supposedly doesn't have the best picture quality in SDR mode though (at least, not with local dimming enabled), and CM has been fumbling the firmware a little. They finally made it so VRR works in HDR mode, but Hardware Unboxed found flickering in some test patterns with VRR on (he couldn't find any in real content, but the possibility is there). The mini-LED backlight also has some big limitations, and you'll see some blooming (though HDR content will still look way better on it than on most other monitors). Overall though, it seems like a good option at $500 once availability returns.

Nothing comes even close to OLED in terms of picture quality, though it can also suffer from occasional VRR flickering. I'm not sure if Dawid even tried any HDR content in that video, which is a funny omission. The lack of shadow detail he mentioned was most likely down to the default gamma being a flat 2.2 or higher and not W-OLED's struggles with near-black chrominance, considering he described it as a "flat black everywhere." This may be something that can be resolved through calibration, though once you do you may start seeing banding in the shadows due to the aforementioned chrominance issues.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 8, 2023

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This thing is $240 currently, and it's a perfectly decent option: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B18HWB9M?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXeOjYRPj08

KTC is a longstanding OEM for the various b-brands out there like Monoprice and Viotek, and they've now decided to start releasing products under their own name for a change.

This is roughly price/features I'm looking at also. How are the actual Monoprice monitors then? I see this 'Dark Matter' one that seems roughly equivalent (except maybe in potential HDR capability) is $215 right now
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42892

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

change my name posted:

Just be warned that the LG one uses a matte finish that apparently mutes it a bit, according to the Youtube reviews that went up recently

fwiw the 24" dell ive had forever has a matte finish and has served me pretty well

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Red Warrior posted:

This is roughly price/features I'm looking at also. How are the actual Monoprice monitors then? I see this 'Dark Matter' one that seems roughly equivalent (except maybe in potential HDR capability) is $215 right now
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42892

Actual monoprice monitors seem to be very hit or miss. They cheap out on stuff like the stand and QC, so you get what you pay for with them.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I have two monitors, both are only HDMI. I have two HDMI ports, one on my GPU (GTX 1660 Super) and one on my regular motherboard I/O.

So when I plugin my main monitor into the GPU, and my second monitor into the motherboard, the second monitor can't detect my PC at all. Testing out both monitors work if plugged in by themselves to my GPU's HDMI, but not together.

Is there some motherboard setting or something with my GPU that has turned off that HDMI port or something? I've gone and ordered an HDMI to DisplayPort because my GPU has an HDMI port and a DisplayPort (same with my motherboard I/O) so I'm going to try that, but is there something else I should be trying?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Is there some motherboard setting or something with my GPU that has turned off that HDMI port or something? I've gone and ordered an HDMI to DisplayPort because my GPU has an HDMI port and a DisplayPort (same with my motherboard I/O) so I'm going to try that, but is there something else I should be trying?

Yes, by default the motherboard integrated GPU is disabled when a dedicated GPU is installed. But there is probably a BIOS/UEFI setting to enable both simultaneously. Unfortunately the naming and location of the setting varies so you need to pore through the manual or BIOS to find what you need.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Saukkis posted:

Yes, by default the motherboard integrated GPU is disabled when a dedicated GPU is installed. But there is probably a BIOS/UEFI setting to enable both simultaneously. Unfortunately the naming and location of the setting varies so you need to pore through the manual or BIOS to find what you need.

Ah ok see thats what I suspected. I've already ordered the HDMI -> DisplayPort adapter, which let me run both monitors through the GPU. Would this be better for performance or anything? Gaming only on my primary monitor and the second is intended for like, browsing/reference/chat stuff.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Oysters Autobio posted:

Ah ok see thats what I suspected. I've already ordered the HDMI -> DisplayPort adapter, which let me run both monitors through the GPU. Would this be better for performance or anything? Gaming only on my primary monitor and the second is intended for like, browsing/reference/chat stuff.

For performance it shouldn't matter, for power saving maybe. GPUs keep having stupid driver issues where if you have too many monitors it won't go in to power saving mode and will keep running in high performance mode while you browse. But with only two monitors you probably won't have this problem. You can use a GPU monitoring software like GPU-Z to check that the GPU and memory clocks are in the low hundreds instead of thousand while idling.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Saukkis posted:

Yeah so I checked and my Ryzen 5 2600 doesrnt have integrated GPU, so no options for this it seems. I'll just wait for the DisplayPort adapter and hope that works

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Checked the last 3 pages of the thread and didn't see anything specific to my use case.

I'm looking for recommendations for 2x 4k monitors for my home PC (RTX 3070) as I'm about to embark on a side-gig; use case will primarily be spreadsheets and more spreadsheets, Discord, etc. Distant secondary use case would be a YouTube video (probably snapped to one corner while I'm working tbh). No intention of gaming on these; I fell out of gaming and I'm not sure when I'll come back to it (could be years at this rate), but I would probably just get a dedicated gaming monitor at that point so we can disregard that for now.

I don't need anything fancy; I did read a couple posts suggesting that higher refresh was better for everything, including productivity work, but I suspect I'm used to garbage response rates for spreadsheet work. Price is an object here, but if better refresh only costs like $50 more, that might be worth it. I currently use 2x 27" 4k monitors at work, but something slightly bigger might be nicer if there is even anything in that space - when I looked a year or two ago, I want to say there didn't seem to be a whole lot in the 30"/32" size class.

If the answer is "what you're looking for is a commodity item these days, just get whatever has good reviews on Amazon" that is an acceptable answer as well! I know that's been the response for 1080p monitors for this use case for some time; wasn't sure if that had extended to 4k yet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ammanas posted:

fwiw the 24" dell ive had forever has a matte finish and has served me pretty well

My old 23" Dell actually has some sort of texture to its coating so if you're looking at a flat color (especially lighter ones) there's some amount of light graininess visible. The newer 2321dgf is also matte but doesn't have that. I don't mind either but there can definitely be some variability there.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I've been busy for the past week or so. Did any interesting 32" 4k high refresh panels get announced at CES or is it another year of a shitshow?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I love having two monitors (a 27" 1440p primary and 24" 1080p secondary), but am seriously considering swapping both for the Alienware AW3423DWF if I get a nice enough tax return this year. Is fancy zones good enough to replace having two discreet monitors or will I definitely notice the reduction in screen real estate? Only asking because I don't know if pairing that, a curved monitor, with a secondary flat one, would work well and it'll take up a ton of desk space as-is anyways

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

change my name posted:

Alienware AW3423DWF if I get a nice enough tax return this year. Is fancy zones good enough to replace having two discreet monitors or will I definitely notice the reduction in screen real estate?
I have that and I think so, but I've never used dual monitors. I was debating going dual and I no longer feel the need for them.

I just use the bigger central zone and two side zones with like Firefox, steam, discord, Xbox epic, or whatever.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

I've been busy for the past week or so. Did any interesting 32" 4k high refresh panels get announced at CES or is it another year of a shitshow?
I think it's finally our year!

Asus announces new 27" 1440p 240hz and 32" 4K 160hz IPS displays in their "Tuf Gaming" lineup.The Tuf Gaming brand tends to be their more affordable brand, and it's nice to see these specs not be treated as ultra premium anymore.

They also announced a 32" 4K 160hz IPS display with a 576-zone mini-LED backlight. I'm assuming this uses the same panel as the tuf gaming display but with local dimming. This will be in their ROG Swift brand and will probably be pretty overpriced. It also supports DP 2.1 because why not, I guess. That's good for all the people with RDNA3 cards who are paranoid about DSC.

Still no 32" high refresh rate 4k OLED as far as I can tell though :negative:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I have that and I think so, but I've never used dual monitors. I was debating going dual and I no longer feel the need for them.

I just use the bigger central zone and two side zones with like Firefox, steam, discord, Xbox epic, or whatever.

Three zones... hadn't even considered it...

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I use a triple monitor setup, and honestly don’t know how life worked before that.

1 24”, 1080p landscape on left side (Discord 2/3 & Pidgin 1/3 fancy zones)
1 32” 1440p landscape in middle (Chrome with YouTube or streaming app 2/3 & Steam 1/3 fancy zones)
1 32” 1080p landscape on right side (Chrome or LibreOffice full screen; occasionally Chrome 1/2 & eBook/comic reader 1/2 fancy zones)

I’m sure it’s not optimal or ergonomic, but all my games are windowed borderless on middle screen and having both chat apps and webpages open while playing is really, really a QoL upgrade for me.

Now I just got a pedestal base massage chair in from Wayfair, and my ghetto computer station will be complete. I didn’t really want/care for massage, but the chair itself wasn’t offered “plain.” I’ll post a fish-eyed pic when I get it all finished!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

change my name posted:

Is fancy zones good enough to replace having two discreet monitors or will I definitely notice the reduction in screen real estate?

Presumably you're buying a gaming monitor because you want to game. On that ground alone, no. Nothing compares to having a second monitor for gaming, don't even think about it.

Broadly speaking, nothing compares to having a second monitor. Being able to physically separate windows is invaluable. I don't care what kind of magical dream primary display you give me, I will literally always have at least one more display hooked up to my PC.

I use a 27" flat monitor next to one with the same physical characteristics as the monitor you're looking at and I see no issue with it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I’ll be sad if OLED skips 1440p because I do NOT want to pay 4K VRR GPU money on top of OLED money

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

DerekSmartymans posted:

I’m sure it’s not optimal or ergonomic, but all my games are windowed borderless on middle screen and having both chat apps and webpages open while playing is really, really a QoL upgrade for me.

Have you tried the left monitor in portrait? Portrait works really well for chat windows because the don't need to be wide, preferably narrower. In portrait you could have both windows closer.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Saukkis posted:

Have you tried the left monitor in portrait? Portrait works really well for chat windows because the don't need to be wide, preferably narrower. In portrait you could have both windows closer.

That’s actually my plan, but both of my “side” monitors are actually 10yr old televisions so I’d need to look into some kind of generic monitor arm that also allowed a fit that performed a 90° twist! Both are on the (non-adjustable) tv stands from their respective boxes.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

I’ll be sad if OLED skips 1440p because I do NOT want to pay 4K VRR GPU money on top of OLED money

It's not skipping 1440p. The only normal-sized OLED monitors on the market right now are 1440p.

K8.0 posted:

Presumably you're buying a gaming monitor because you want to game. On that ground alone, no. Nothing compares to having a second monitor for gaming, don't even think about it.

Broadly speaking, nothing compares to having a second monitor. Being able to physically separate windows is invaluable. I don't care what kind of magical dream primary display you give me, I will literally always have at least one more display hooked up to my PC.

I use a 27" flat monitor next to one with the same physical characteristics as the monitor you're looking at and I see no issue with it.

100% agreed. The ability to have something on a second monitor while a game is full-screened on your primary monitor is indispensable. I could never go without it now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 10, 2023

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

I mean the AW3423DWF is already out there and it's 1440p QD-OLED. I don't think much of the price is the ultrawide tax, it's sized to take advantage of the way they're manufacturing batches of panels. OLED/QD-OLED are just very expensive and will remain so for a while. Yes, there are downsides to the ultrawide AR, but they are somewhat mitigated with OLED where at least you get true blacks on the dark portion of the screen the 95% of the time when you're viewing 16:9 content. You still have that physical space wasted which is annoying to have to turn your head past, but it's probably not intolerable for most. I'd rather be able to buy a 16:9 version of the panel even if it cost the same, but it is what it is. What I'm really rooting for is the next generation of QD-OLED having higher refresh rates and proper strobing.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

It hasn't? LG and others have a 27" 1440p 240hz oled either released recently or soon.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

K8.0 posted:

I'd rather be able to buy a 16:9 version of the panel even if it cost the same, but it is what it is. What I'm really rooting for is the next generation of QD-OLED having higher refresh rates and proper strobing.

You probably missed this: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gr95qe-b

It's LG W-OLED, but here's the 16:9 240hz 1440p OLED. No strobing though, sadly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I save a ton of money on monitors by not having twitch or anime open on screen at all times

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

mobby_6kl posted:

I save a ton of money on monitors by not having twitch or anime open on screen at all times

I lived with the 32”/24” TVs-as-monitors just because having a website up while playing a full screen game was great! Especially for MMOs, which was (and is) 90% of my gaming time. Having chat/Mumble up separately is a huuuuge QoL upgrade to me. I don’t mind turning my head a bit, even for hours. I guess my neck is just too swole 💪🏼🤪.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I think it's finally our year!

Still no 32" high refresh rate 4k OLED as far as I can tell though :negative:

Tell me about it. :negative:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

It's not skipping 1440p. The only normal-sized OLED monitors on the market right now are 1440p.
... in a size that lets me go 3x1 instead of 1x2 :v:

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Maybe if I spend a few thousand on a gpu and then a few thousand getting a nice monitor and a nice second monitor I’ll finally be able to play those zachtronics games

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

... in a size that lets me go 3x1 instead of 1x2 :v:

You mean 24"? I don't think that's gonna happen. If you mean 16:9 27", that's literally the monitor we're talking about and linking to on this page.

Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

You mean 24"? I don't think that's gonna happen. If you mean 16:9 27", that's literally the monitor we're talking about and linking to on this page.

Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean.
Nah I definitely missed it; thanks!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One of the most popular budget TV brands, Hisense, has announced at CES that they're entering the gaming monitor market: https://www.techpowerup.com/303347/hisense-makes-a-big-push-into-premium-gaming-monitors-and-home-cinema#comments

Their first announcement is a 27" 1440p 170 Hz IPS monitor with a 576-zone mini-LED backlight. These specs are very similar to the Cooler Master GP27Q, except it has +5 Hz and DisplayHDR 600 certification only, which is strange (the GP27Q has DisplayHDR 1000). This means they're probably different panels despite their similarities. It'll be interesting to see if they can out-value Cooler Master with this.

They're also repurposing a 43" 4K QLED panel to sell as a monitor, but snooore.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

DerekSmartymans posted:

I use a triple monitor setup, and honestly don’t know how life worked before that.

1 24”, 1080p landscape on left side (Discord 2/3 & Pidgin 1/3 fancy zones)
1 32” 1440p landscape in middle (Chrome with YouTube or streaming app 2/3 & Steam 1/3 fancy zones)
1 32” 1080p landscape on right side (Chrome or LibreOffice full screen; occasionally Chrome 1/2 & eBook/comic reader 1/2 fancy zones)

<snip>
I’ll post a fish-eyed pic when I get it all finished!

My smaller monitor is on a movable shelf that’s part of the desk…I may try to find an arm that would let me try portrait mode or even just lower it down a bit more in line with the one next to it. My 3070 has no problems driving it all, though, and I can run two instances/games on both 32” monitors simultaneously. I’m really happy with my setup, but realize it may not work for others.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Zarin posted:

Checked the last 3 pages of the thread and didn't see anything specific to my use case.

I'm looking for recommendations for 2x 4k monitors for my home PC (RTX 3070) as I'm about to embark on a side-gig; use case will primarily be spreadsheets and more spreadsheets, Discord, etc. Distant secondary use case would be a YouTube video (probably snapped to one corner while I'm working tbh). No intention of gaming on these; I fell out of gaming and I'm not sure when I'll come back to it (could be years at this rate), but I would probably just get a dedicated gaming monitor at that point so we can disregard that for now.

I don't need anything fancy; I did read a couple posts suggesting that higher refresh was better for everything, including productivity work, but I suspect I'm used to garbage response rates for spreadsheet work. Price is an object here, but if better refresh only costs like $50 more, that might be worth it. I currently use 2x 27" 4k monitors at work, but something slightly bigger might be nicer if there is even anything in that space - when I looked a year or two ago, I want to say there didn't seem to be a whole lot in the 30"/32" size class.

If the answer is "what you're looking for is a commodity item these days, just get whatever has good reviews on Amazon" that is an acceptable answer as well! I know that's been the response for 1080p monitors for this use case for some time; wasn't sure if that had extended to 4k yet.

Wanted to check quick and see if there were any recommendations in this space before I try and figure out what is highly reviewed on Amazon.

I see they have removed "most reviews" as a sorting criteria since the last time I was shopping, which is . . . irritating, to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vincent on Micro Lens Array technology:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2z5YWsir10

It's very neat, and it does seem as though this technology will be present in the 27" and 45" W-OLED monitors shipping out soon. Those monitor panels have appeared on some PR slides about MLA (or "META" as LG is calling it)

That second image is nigh indecipherable, but I'm pretty sure it's indicating something like 1200 nits peak luminance, which would be quite a bit below what the 77" TV panel with MLA will achieve. Part of this will be due to the higher pixel density and lower pixel aperture ratio in the 27" panel, but I also suspect that LG is trying to be gentle with this panel so as to reduce the risk of burn-in. If MLA gives you more brightness at the same power, then it can give you the same brightness at much less power used. And with OLED, the less voltage you use, the more slowly the organic material will deteriorate. So it seems they'd rather use MLA to help reduce burn-in than to achieve crazy high brightness figures. And you probably don't want 2000 nits searing your eyes from two feet away anyway.

A better look at that second image:

So it's 1000/150, not 1200/190. Oh well, not a huge difference. Though I like having my monitor at around 180 - 200 nits. 150 is rather dim.

If LG isn't mixing up their specs here and giving wrong information, then they aren't using the micro lens array to increase brightness but to extend panel life instead. I guess it makes sense then that they're only willing to release a monitor alongside the addition of this new (to TVs/monitors) technology. They're probably still really concerned about burn-in.