Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I hope I wasn't too late because I was driving home from work lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Bayonetta 3 is my GOTY

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Also, this is how I find out that Pentiment is by Obsidian? I kind of stopped paying attention after Outer Worlds, I guess. drat I have so many cool games to play in 2022 from this list (Pentiment, Elden Ring, Harvestella, Blue Reflection, Triangle Strategy...) which is a problem because I already have too many games!

And for posterity, the comparison of my list to the final rankings:

#10 Subnautica Below Zero - DNP
#10 Axiom Verge 2 - DNP
#10 Hardspace Shipbreaker - #51
#10 Apotheosis X - DNP
#10 Cloudpunk - DNP
#5 Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - DNP
#4 The Void Rains Upon Her Heart - DNP
#3 Ashes trilogy - DNP
#2 Hedon Bloodrite - DNP
#1 Vision Soft Reset - DNP

Runa posted:

I'd like a celebratory sixer with this image

Oh that's lovely. I wouldn't mind a sixer with that too, if you're sharing. :3:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Let's see the games I voted for that didn't make the list:

Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song. (2 points from me, 12 points overall): SaGa's niche, no real surprise. But I figured if Live-a-Live could almost hit the Top 20 then this could crack the top 75.
Potionomics (5 points from me, 15 points overall): Kinda surprised this didn't catch on a little more.
Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga (6 points from me, 7 points overall): It's niche. It's short. It came out pretty early in the year. No real surprise here.
Legends of Runeterra (7 points from me, 7 points overall): Didn't expect it to list but I know I'm not the only person here that plays it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
10. Kirby and the Forgotten Land - #14
09. PowerWash Simulator - #46
08. Vampire Survivors - #3
07. Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye - #43
06. Psychonauts 2 - DNP
05. Pentiment - #2
04. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - DNP
03. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - #47
02. God of War Ragnarok - #8
01. Elden Ring - #1

I like the little mid-40s gang

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh that's lovely. I wouldn't mind a sixer with that too, if you're sharing. :3:

oh absolutely, go for it!

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
one sixer, please

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
Wowzers. I think we all new Elden Ring was going to win this but I wasn't expecting it to be by that much.

Also,

ShoogaSlim posted:

are elden ring probes still being given out? i'll take one

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Good thread. Thank you rarity and videogames

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hit me with that elden ring sixer

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Microcline posted:

So another statistics post.

This year there were 217 votes (up from 196) casting a total of 11,636 points (up from 10130).

38.2% of all points were awarded to games that didn't make it into the top 75. 18% were for games only listed by one person. This is holding relatively steady from 37.5% and 19.6% last year.

For the second year running the Most Generic Goon is Barreft, who's top 5 is (again) exactly 7 places from aggregate ranking.

The top overperformers
ELDEN RING (#1), with 136 votes (almost 2/3rds of all voters) at an average rank of 2.2
PENTIMENT (#2), with 38 votes at an average rank of 3.2
XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 3 (#4), with 31 votes at an average rank of 3.5
TRIANGLE STRATEGY (#5), with 30 votes at an average rank of 3.8
DISCO ELYSIUM (#17), with 16 votes at an average rank of 3.0

As Rarity pointed out, PERFECT TIDES is also of note, making it on the list despite only having three votes due to having an average rank of 1.67.

The underperformers are a bit more interesting, as it has a number of games that would have placed much higher if all listings were treated equally
NORCO (#30->#24), with 16 votes at an average rank of 6.3
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: SHREDDER'S REVENGE (->#54), with 7 votes at an average rank of 7.1
TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER III (#66->#46), with 8 votes at an average rank of 7.0
POTIONOMICS, with 5 votes at an average rank of 8.0
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2 (->63), with 6 votes at an average rank of 7.7
STRAY (#15->#9), with 28 votes at an average rank of 6.1
GENSHIN IMPACT, with 4 votes at an average rank of 8.8
FORTNITE (#70->#47), with 8 votes at an average rank of 7.3
GRAN TURISMO 7 (->#37), with 10 votes at an average rank of 7.0
DEATHLOOP (->#64), with 6 votes at an average rank of 8.0

THE BIG CHART (more pink = more years)

I might try to do some kind of network based model later in the week, but one has to balance posting with gaming.

Love dem stats!

It's interesting to see how goon GOTY lists kind of confirm that 2020 and 2021 were relatively weaker years for new releases, with a lot of games that got attention from the previous year staying on the countdown or even rising in rank. But then for 2022 you have a lot of popular new releases so almost everything is a red streak down.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

CuriousSymptoms posted:

Thanks for all of your hard work in this glorious thread.

I have been on these forums for coming up to twenty years, and never once received anything on my rap sheet.

It is Pristine. Spotless. Without blemish.

I can think of no more appropriate time for it to become...

Tarnished.

Please hit me with a celebratory sixer.

:yeah: Hit me with one too so I can join my fellow never-probed in the tarnished zone.

Thanks Rarity and Veeg for a wonderful time today!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Probes, please!

Well done, all.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

bayonetta has to be the biggest disappointment, right? the switch thread talked about that game for about two weeks straight, and people seemed to really like it, but it didn't even place in the top 75.

feels kind of weird?

Hollow Gaunt
Aug 7, 2007

Echoing the thanks to Rarity and VG for the work and effort they put into this. I had a good time following along with the countdown and reading everyone's posts before that.

Can't wait for this year's thread--It's like that scene in Nightmare Before Christmas, where Halloween night ends and the mayor needs Jack to start planning the next Halloween because there's only 364 days life :kingsley:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

abelwingnut posted:

bayonetta has to be the biggest disappointment, right? the switch thread talked about that game for about two weeks straight, and people seemed to really like it, but it didn't even place in the top 75.

feels kind of weird?

I do wonder how much Hellena Taylor hamstrung it by trying to make a stand on what turned out to be a pretty weak foundation and then immediately milkshake ducking. It lent the whole franchise a weird tinge

haveblue fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 8, 2023

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Phenomenal thread, absolute great work by Rarity and VG. Well done!

Probe me

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A lot of people couldn’t look past the terrible story and get to the good gameplay within

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Noooooo I missed it :negative:

However, based thread, based list, holy poo poo Elden Ring cleaned the gently caress up, but also holy poo poo Pentiment got second, that's a genuine pleasure to see! Good results for some very good other games this year too, like Stray and SIGNALIS. A little surprised Dorf Fort wasn't higher but perhaps next year more goons will have played it thanks to the Steam release.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

hatty posted:

A lot of people couldn’t look past the terrible story and get to the good gameplay within

For me it was both the awful story and the dumb gameplay decisions. Summoning giant demons is alright, but it means you have to fight giant enemies to justify having giant demons. And both of groups obscure your vision and block incoming attacks, making it hard to dodge.

And then you have Viola who plays terribly.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hollow Gaunt posted:

Can't wait for this year's thread--It's like that scene in Nightmare Before Christmas, where Halloween night ends and the mayor needs Jack to start planning the next Halloween because there's only 364 days life :kingsley:

I have literally already started taking notes for next year's OP :negative:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

exquisite tea posted:

Love dem stats!

It's interesting to see how goon GOTY lists kind of confirm that 2020 and 2021 were relatively weaker years for new releases, with a lot of games that got attention from the previous year staying on the countdown or even rising in rank. But then for 2022 you have a lot of popular new releases so almost everything is a red streak down.

I think we’re just starting to hit the COVID clusterfuck where games that were in production but not super close to release when the pandemic hit are finally coming out. ‘23 ought to be jam packed compared to the last few. Just in the first quarter alone we’ve got a new Fire Emblem, One Piece Odyssey, Forsaken, Dead Space, Atomic Heart, Wanted: Dead, Octopath 2, Wo Long, Star Wars Jedi Survivor, Bayo Origins, REmake 4, and an entire new VR platform, and things keep rolling from there

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Please world I would very much like Baldur's Gate 3 to be my GotY for 2023 barring another amazing surprise like Elden Ring.
Last year the first game I pinned my hopes on (Triangle Strat) turned out to be great but maybe not so much for me.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
hmm.

Yeah I would love an Elden Ring probe please and thank you

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I do NOT want a probe but I do want to say this is my favorite yearly thread on the forums. It's a giant, great production and it's a shame you're locked into doing this and making it bigger and better each year for the rest of your/our lives.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Many thanks to Rarity and everyone else who made this list possible. You people are awesome!

e: drat, I have like eight games already on the "I think I must play this" due to this list, and I only picked the ones I couldn't resist. 2023 is gonna be wild...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to quickly put these next to each other for those who didn’t do the comparison themselves

quote:

2. PENTIMENT
(Obsidian, 2022, New Entry)
297 points, listed 39 times, #1 8 times

1. ELDEN RING
(FromSoftware, 2022, New Entry)
1199 points, listed 135 times, #1 79 times

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Over 4 times as much, just king poo poo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just absolutely sick and nasty

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

here is that video of my cat, in case anyone wanted to see it again:

https://i.imgur.com/vYomVFC.mp4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rarity posted:

Over 4 times as much, just king poo poo

Obviously you need to probe everyone 4 times as much, starting with me

I want this image this time tho

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

(Also thank you very much VG+Rarity for organising this once again)

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Thanks everyone, great thread

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I spent the entire day playing Elden Ring today in celebration (although I would've done it anyway). A truly great day.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

What upsets! Ragnarok below Horizon and Pokemon. Pentiment with that many points having come out in December. Shredder's Revenge failing to place entirely.

Now that I've survived my probe I'll play the "how'd I do" game. On a personal level, this year is the furthest I've gotten from the aggregate list. Only any of my top 3 made the goon top 10 (though my placements for those were their exact placements), and one of my top 3 was in the fifties.

10. Poinpy - DNP
9. TMNT Shredder's Revenge - DNP
8. MHR Sunbreak - #16
7. AITSF Nirvana Initiative - #13
6. Kirby and the Forgotten Land - #14
5. Neon White - #18
4. Snowrunner - robbed/DNP
3. Vampire Survivors - #3
2. Rogue Legacy 2 - #56 (lol)
1. Elden Ring - #1

Delighted to see Nirvana Initiative do so well, but devastated for my boys Snowrunner and Rogue Legacy 2. Oh well. I have lots of games to play this year...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I spent the entire day playing Elden Ring today in celebration (although I would've done it anyway). A truly great day.

Will definitely quote you for Elden Ring next year :hai:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hello can i get the elden probe also, i need to double up on not posting :kingsley:

thank you i love you all, especially rarity and veegio

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I thought my list was pretty far from the norm so I went back to check both mine and Rarity's list.

10. Immortality Idle - No placement
9. Pokemon Emerald Rogue - No placement
8. Old School Runescape - No placement
7. Pokemon Legends Arceus - 10th
6. Disgaea 5 - No placement
5. Tale of Immortal - No placement
4. Guilty Gear Strive - 48th
3. Fire Emblem: Three Hopes - 32nd
2. Shadowverse - No placement
1. Anbennar - No placement

So that's 7/10 no placement's. I thought my list was pretty far out but Rarity's list was 9/10 entries not landing in the placements. Impressive stuff, I'll have to find some weird new games next year.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

One of them Elder Ringers, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I think Rarity is always going to win the hipster award because of the way she plays games, so it would be interesting to know who the second biggest hipster is. We could even call it the Rarity Award.