Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
SHMUP in space, vertical, demo level ended with empty space with color-changing bubbles. This will probably be enough to identify it?
If not: The upgrade mechanic was quite neat, you could collect upgrades and decide how much to save up. Depending on the amount of upgrade points, you got different addons to your ship. Usually the more you collected, the better the upgrade. If you collected enough in the demo, you were able to upgrade the whole ship to a bigger version which only made the demo harder as it didn't bring any new weapons with it but made your hitbox bigger. I think.
This may have been on a demo disc with Raptor - Call of the Shadows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Pogonodon posted:

Let's see if we can start narrowing it down.
Do any parts of Ted Nugent Wild Hunting Adventure or Field & Stream: Trophy Buck come close?

I didn't remember the game having scoped rifles, but it is absolutely Trophy Buck. The sound and interface was instantly familiar.

Thanks for that, this was bugging me for literal years.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RabbitWizard posted:

SHMUP in space, vertical, demo level ended with empty space with color-changing bubbles. This will probably be enough to identify it?
If not: The upgrade mechanic was quite neat, you could collect upgrades and decide how much to save up. Depending on the amount of upgrade points, you got different addons to your ship. Usually the more you collected, the better the upgrade. If you collected enough in the demo, you were able to upgrade the whole ship to a bigger version which only made the demo harder as it didn't bring any new weapons with it but made your hitbox bigger. I think.
This may have been on a demo disc with Raptor - Call of the Shadows.

It might be way too early, but the only one I can think of is Overkill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzx59Km9ywo

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It might be way too early, but the only one I can think of is Overkill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzx59Km9ywo

That's the one, thanks! :)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Rujo King posted:

Here's one:

-It was sort of like Oregon Trail, only you were a fur trapper boating your way through the Great Lakes, trying to reach your destination before winter.
-It's an oldie, as I remember playing it on my Commodore 64. Definitely came on 5-1/4" floppy, don't know about tape.
-There were portages, which were like river crossings in Oregon Trail.
-One of the last locations was "Sault Ste. Marie."
-There was this bitching animation of arrows raining down if you happened to piss off the natives.
-Sometimes the natives would be sneaky and give you poisoned berries, at which point a Frenchman in your crew would say, "Sacre!"
This post is from just over 13 years ago, and Rujo King hasn't posted on the forums since late 2020. But this is Voyageur! I played it on C64, too, and enjoyed it enough to track it down and play it emulated all these years later. Here is a playthrough, though the voiceover is a little annoying for my tastes. (Note that you are not able to refuse the gift of poisoned berries. :waycool:)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Another deer hunting game, windows 95, all I remember is when it was time to shoot, you were stationary and your guy had voice clips, like when you shot a deer right he'd say "hmm not too bad" or "Right in the kill zone", or say poo poo like "Why don't I let them know I'm here?" when he missed. you definitely moved around the map but it only went first person when you choose to shoot

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I'm almost positive that's one of the Deer Hunter games. Possibly even the first one.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Danaru posted:

or say poo poo like "Why don't I let them know I'm here?" when he missed.

Gnoman posted:

If you fired your weapon for no reason, the game would taunt you with phrases like "you're scaring the deer" and "you're wasting time and ammunition".

I didn't realize so many deer hunting games talked poo poo about the player

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The natural extension of the Duck Hunt dog.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pogonodon posted:

I'm almost positive that's one of the Deer Hunter games. Possibly even the first one.

Yeah that's 100% it :toot:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I didn't realize so many deer hunting games talked poo poo about the player

Part of the genuine hunting experience is friends and fellow hunters drinking and talking poo poo

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Commander Keene posted:

The natural extension of the Duck Hunt dog.

This just reminded me of a shareware game I had around the same era as Deer Hunter. It involved hunting ducks...? Doves...? Some sort of bird. It was completely possible to shoot your dog when it ran out to retrieve things, and the player character would go "Oooooops."

The same company released a very similar game that I also don't remember the title of that was about hunting pigeons in a public park.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Bird Hunter: Upland Edition? Looks like there were several but that's the only one i remember offhand in that time period that has a dog.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
just posting to jump to an old post

e; funny that the second game i mention in that post is the one i just got reminded of. it was Thinkin' Things: Zap!

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 9, 2023

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

More potential-answers to old-rear end questions as I work my way through the thread:

Dopefish Lives! posted:

4. Puzzle/strategy game, probably C64/early DOS era judging by the very blocky pixellated graphics. You're shipwrecked on an island and you have to build a shelter, make food, etc. If you took too long, a hurricane hits the island and it's game over. I never was able to avoid the hurricane.
Could this be Windham Classics' Swiss Family Robinson? There's a playthrough of the Apple II version, which looks just about the same, but with some colors swapped around. I loved this game and got to the point where I could speedrun it. It's fun to play even now. Windham Classics titles in general were outstanding. Anyone else remember Below the Root, or their take on Alice in Wonderland?

Veev posted:

There was this game where you start out as this dark skinned demon dude who everyone shits on because he didn't have wings or something? He had a girlfriend that could fly and was a party member, and then halfway through the dude becomes king and that's as far as I ever got. It was grid based combat JRPG, but it was all in 3d. I think it was for the ps2, but maybe for the Gamecube?
Veev, I know you're not active in this thread anymore, but just in case: Could this be Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits on the PS2? One of the two playable main characters is a partially-dark-skinned human-demon (Deimos) mix named Darc who starts with wings that are soon ripped off. He begins as a lowly slave who's mocked incessantly for being a "wannabe Deimos" (since he's half-human). Here's a review that should give you an idea of the game; there are lots of playthroughs out there, too.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Looking for a game I saw a trailer for some years ago and now can't remember the name of.

- 6-degrees-of-freedom, zero-gravity FPS, not sure if it also had a third person chase cam mode or if that was just something they did for the trailer
- grungy asteroid-base setting; graphics similar to Miner Wars 2081, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't MW2081
- piloting a small drone with a boxy, utilitarian aesthetic with weapons bolted to the sides
- limited number of weapon slots, I think
- pleasingly chunky kinetic weapons and explosives (contrast e.g. the lasers in Descent or Zerograve)
- not Zerograve, Miner Wars, any of the Descent games, NeonXSZ, Sublevel Zero, Overload, or Retrovirus

E: I think I found it while looking up the names of more games it isn't -- BLAST-AXIS: PHOBEAN TERROR

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 11, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
PC game, probably came out 10-ish years ago. 2D gameplay, 3D presentation; genre was precision platformer. You played as a little kid with a baseball cap, who was trying to take the bus home or something, but got roped into some planetary rebellion scheme, I think. Also something about stars? I remember you'd flip your baseball cap backwards for boss fights.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

PC game, probably came out 10-ish years ago. 2D gameplay, 3D presentation; genre was precision platformer. You played as a little kid with a baseball cap, who was trying to take the bus home or something, but got roped into some planetary rebellion scheme, I think. Also something about stars? I remember you'd flip your baseball cap backwards for boss fights.

Is this Heart of Darkness?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ToxicFrog posted:

Looking for a game I saw a trailer for some years ago and now can't remember the name of.

- 6-degrees-of-freedom, zero-gravity FPS, not sure if it also had a third person chase cam mode or if that was just something they did for the trailer
- grungy asteroid-base setting; graphics similar to Miner Wars 2081, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't MW2081
- piloting a small drone with a boxy, utilitarian aesthetic with weapons bolted to the sides
- limited number of weapon slots, I think
- pleasingly chunky kinetic weapons and explosives (contrast e.g. the lasers in Descent or Zerograve)
- not Zerograve, Miner Wars, any of the Descent games, NeonXSZ, Sublevel Zero, Overload, or Retrovirus

E: I think I found it while looking up the names of more games it isn't -- BLAST-AXIS: PHOBEAN TERROR

Yeah I was gonna suggest Forsaken, never heard of this one!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

moller posted:

Is this Heart of Darkness?

No, it was a 2D precision platformer. I want to say it used a lot of ambient occlusion in its rendering, so lots of "soft" lighting. In general not a very threatening-looking aesthetic, but quite difficult to play.

A goon did a Let's Play of it; I want to say it was voiceofdog, but I can't find a playlist on their YouTube channel.

EDIT: I dug through my Steam library and found it. The game's name is Pid.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 11, 2023

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Pogonodon posted:

Bird Hunter: Upland Edition? Looks like there were several but that's the only one i remember offhand in that time period that has a dog.

It's not this, but the game I'm thinking of had a very similar graphics style. Almost to the point that I wonder if it just ripped assets from this.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Then maybe the Wild Wings edition?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Colonel posted:

just posting to jump to an old post

e; funny that the second game i mention in that post is the one i just got reminded of. it was Thinkin' Things: Zap!
You can type username:"the colonel" in the search bar on the top left to find all your posts in a thread.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Why am I not surprised in the least to learn that Ted Nugent has a hunting game?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Splicer posted:

You can type username:"the colonel" in the search bar on the top left to find all your posts in a thread.

i am pretty sure this doesn’t work from the in-thread search bar actually

e: wait it’s working now, i…think I see what happened

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

The same company released a very similar game that I also don't remember the title of that was about hunting pigeons in a public park.

Just found this one I hope, is it Sportsman's Paradise? Jump to about 3 minutes for the park.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Yes! That's both of them. I thought they were from a big shovelware compilation CD, but I definitely remember that main menu now.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I seem to remember some walking simulator (maybe horror) game where you walked in a cluttered 3D scanned apartment - I don't think it was The Signifier, as I don't own that, and I seem to remember playing it, not watching someone else play. Anyone remember something like that? (It wasn't just realistic looking textures, it was that "point cloud-ish" look where parts of the environment were just missing due to not being scanned)

edit: Actually looking at a video, it seems to be the second section of The Signifier. Now I wonder where I watched that...

ymgve fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 13, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I’m trying to remember a game I played around ~2000. I am pretty sure it was a bowser based game, since you could play it on public computers. It was an aerial combat game with a 3D world you’d fly around in and shoot enemies. You’d then progress through levels. I remember them basically looking more or less like triangles. I know this is not a ton to go on, but figured I’d see if anyone had ideas.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

tildes posted:

it was a bowser based game,

We can narrow this down to being one of the Mario games, then. :thunk:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

tildes posted:

I’m trying to remember a game I played around ~2000. I am pretty sure it was a bowser based game, since you could play it on public computers. It was an aerial combat game with a 3D world you’d fly around in and shoot enemies. You’d then progress through levels. I remember them basically looking more or less like triangles. I know this is not a ton to go on, but figured I’d see if anyone had ideas.

This sounds like Area Flat 2 to me; the page is still online but I can't get the game to load for me though.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

aniviron posted:

This sounds like Area Flat 2 to me; the page is still online but I can't get the game to load for me though.

Hm, this fits the description but from looking at pictures I think the one I’m thinking of was more flying around in 3D space, not 2D like that one seems to be?/had a lighter background.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

tildes posted:

Radical Aces?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWAFBgoAp8c

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Yeah I think that’s it! Amazing, thank you! Have been wondering on and off what this was for forever.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Alright, so here's a few games that have been bugging me on and off for a long time now.

quote:

So game #1: Met a kind of light brown cymbal-headed alien(?) with two eyes
--also shows up in the intro in vaguely timepiece appropriate wear, for a few eras?
-The fellow had a time machine, and you would've gone through time to do... Something.
-Think it was edutainment, though more 'educational' than 'entertaining'.
-was supposed to have multiple sections including Egypt, but kept getting stuck on the first one: medieval castle.
--E.G.: couldn't figure out what to do, kept getting caught and thrown in the dungeon, lost all my gold coins paying bribes to get out until I went broke and gave up
-think the castle had a jester?
-Don't know about the weird time traveller, but everyone in the castle was early-ish FMV.
-Would've been playing during/before 2008~2009, pretty sure. Probably a few years earlier than that.
-Was on CD, I think.

quote:

Game #2: Another alien, this time with a normal-ish head. was orange, with darker orange sideburns and a grey/white robe
-Edutainment(?) leaning entertainment over educational, future, sci-fi themed.
-Main memory is one of several games, the Theater.
--Think you had to make all the aliens happy before the movie could start
--One of the aliens would, if passed enough popcorn/soda would split in two, taking up a neighboring seat if available.
--Or pass on any popcorn/soda to the next person if they couldn't
-Same years as above. During/before 2008~2009. Was on CD, I think.

quote:

Game #3: A mech-(j)RPG (think regular rpg with a mech theme)
-Started off in a dark cave fighting flying Nuts or Bolts as enemies.
--Not a weird name thing, they were literally just flying Nuts and Bolts.
-Had a partner in a pink mech?
-After leaving the cave, the next area was a scrapyard with a Tire pile boss.
--Something like 3-4 tires stacked on one another and given cartoon googly(?) eyes. possibly angry eyebrows.
-Had a sequel/sidequel that was more open ended, less/no story and letting you explore wherever without much guidance
-Would've found it on Bigfish games or Wildtangent, though it isn't currently on either. At least not that I found.
-2010 during/before, but less confident on this one.

Maybe someone else will remember any of these better than I do. :v:

E: Retracting #2, apparently needed to google better: It was Thinkin' Things: Sky Island Mysteries.
Theater might've been in a different Thinkin' Things, but it looks about right. Definitely came out earlier than I thought

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 2, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

First one smacks of the Journeyman Project series

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

FFT posted:

First one smacks of the Journeyman Project series

It did to me too at first, but they said edutainment, and those games are pretty hard. I don't remember a jester either

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Makes me think of the Connections adventure game moreso, but there's no way that's it unless James Burke is an alien.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Arcanuse posted:

Alright, so here's a few games that have been bugging me on and off for a long time now.

The mention of a cymbal headed alien makes me think of My First Amazing History Explorer but I can't recall anything else about the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Pogonodon posted:

The mention of a cymbal headed alien makes me think of My First Amazing History Explorer but I can't recall anything else about the game.

Ahh, thanks. So that is the alien, but it looks like I had that games memory mixed with Castle Explorer, another DK Media game. Cheers for that.