Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Starting 1923 having never watched a Yellowstone thing. There’s a good bit of cheese so far but Harrison ford is cool of course. Hopefully it’s mostly him acting gritty on a horse for 10 episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
a couple weeks ago Mrs Isaboo and I were :2bong: and decided we'd give "that Yellowstone prequel" a try but somehow started watching 1922 on Netflix lol

we didn't finish because it was bad

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Watched the first two episodes of 1899 last night. I'm pretty sure I already figured it out:

The Prometheus was sucked to the bottom of the ocean by a much more technologically advanced civilization (hence the CRT monitors spying on everyone at the end). That's why it looks like it aged like 50 freaking years -- it got sucked to the bottom for a period of time and the passengers were abducted, so it hosed up the ship really good and there were barnacles all throughout the interior. The mystery stranger comes from the civilization at the bottom. They need slaves to keep their society in the black or some poo poo.

I haven't read any spoilers or anything, so I'm curious to see how close I am after watching the finale. Can't believe it wasn't renewed. It's a great show so far.

Nailed it

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Why are there so many things that are just years

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah I have trouble keeping track of what's what these past few days

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If the numbers add up to 9 it’s just an Anno game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't watched 1899 yet but Google says that Grace Slick did the music??

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Watched The Rig on Amazon. I think it probably would've worked better as a movie.

I’m on the third episode now, it’s so bad I can’t stop watching.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I watched The Banshees of Inisherin 2 nights ago and I'm still thinking about it. It's really insane how loving great an actor Colin Farrell has become.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Pale Blue Eye is nothing special but it's a very competent movie, perfect for a lazy night time stoned watch, or a hungover afternoon

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH_rX9S6sU8

Apparently this is out now? I don’t have HBO at the moment

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It felt like an extended cut of the usual Channel 5 stuff, except with a lot more of Andrew's own takes/opinions on the unfolding events. So if you're into Channel 5, you're gonna love TPR.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

precision posted:

I haven't watched 1899 yet but Google says that Grace Slick did the music??

They use a lot of modern music in dramatic moments, especially White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Channel 5 is good poo poo, but it'll be nice to watch something without a million Youtube comments under it proclaiming Andrew is the most brilliant human to ever live because he drives around doing man on the street interviews.

That probably sounds like a back handed compliment but I do actually really like his stuff. I'll definitely be watching it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Finally finished his dark materials after seeing it came out. Really awful finale season with a couple fun moments. I'd already put the effort in years ago with the other seasons so I felt like I had to see how it ended, but I want that time back.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Watching Strange Days for the first time, and in a serious moment they bust out this amazing line: "his rear end is so tight, when he farts only dogs can hear it".

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

veni veni veni posted:

Channel 5 is good poo poo, but it'll be nice to watch something without a million Youtube comments under it proclaiming Andrew is the most brilliant human to ever live because he drives around doing man on the street interviews.

That probably sounds like a back handed compliment but I do actually really like his stuff. I'll definitely be watching it.

You know you don't have to read YouTube comments or let those people's comments affect your enjoyment of something, right?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Kingtheninja posted:

Finally finished his dark materials after seeing it came out. Really awful finale season with a couple fun moments. I'd already put the effort in years ago with the other seasons so I felt like I had to see how it ended, but I want that time back.

The entire series lacked something. There was a lot there that was good, but I felt like I struggled to stay awake every single episode I ever watched of the show.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Fleishman is in trouble had a strong finish

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GonSmithe posted:

You know you don't have to read YouTube comments or let those people's comments affect your enjoyment of something, right?

I think some people really do "need" to engage with that stuff

I mean nobody "has" to use Twitter and yet here we are

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm watching the 2015 playhouse Rocky Horror and it's good but like... the actors keep tripping over the audience participation and it's like... did you not expect this???

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I watched The Banshees of Inisherin 2 nights ago and I'm still thinking about it. It's really insane how loving great an actor Colin Farrell has become.

I recommend watching The Lobster if you haven't seen it already.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Started the Tulsa king, which is basically lillyhammer but with Stallone. I’m digging it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

:wrong:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Tulsa king is mind numbing but it has Martin starr being himself bouncing off Stallone who gets to wear jewelry and smoke cigars in every episodes so it’s pretty good

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

friend of mine convinced me to signup for a showtime+ free trial and watch X

lol what the gently caress is the point of this movie? horror really is the worst genre

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
'This Place Rules'. Absolutely hilarious. Putting insane people on camera almost always works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA3-6AFhn5Q

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ShoogaSlim posted:

lol what the gently caress is the point of this movie? horror really is the worst genre

I'm not really a big horror fan, let alone slasher flicks, but I thought X was one of the better ones. The most surprising part was that they released a second film in the series, Pearl, also last year. That movie went viral for the lead.

Edit:

Off topic. I'm generally a Star Wars guy, with exceptions of course, and I've generally liked most of the modern animated shows. But I find The Bad Batch to be exceedingly boring.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 8, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
If you liked Nathan For You and The Rehearsal, there's a new series on Peacock called Paul T Goodman. It's quite a trip so far.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I couldn't finish the first episode of Fleischman is In Trouble. Thought it was pretentious as crap, something about the divorced way-upper middle class doctor mixed with the fawning narrator made it intolerable. I think Jesse Eisenberg is the worst actor working today, so that didn't help.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

ymgve posted:

If you liked Nathan For You and The Rehearsal, there's a new series on Peacock called Paul T Goodman. It's quite a trip so far.

It's good poo poo. The director has done some WWDITS and Nathan For You episodes. And Borat Subsequent Moviefilm.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LifeLynx posted:

I couldn't finish the first episode of Fleischman is In Trouble. Thought it was pretentious as crap, something about the divorced way-upper middle class doctor mixed with the fawning narrator made it intolerable. I think Jesse Eisenberg is the worst actor working today, so that didn't help.

No lies detected. He’s trying to be a Woody Allen type and it doesn’t work at all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ShoogaSlim posted:

Ugh

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RestingB1tchFace posted:

'This Place Rules'. Absolutely hilarious. Putting insane people on camera almost always works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA3-6AFhn5Q

Yeah it was great. That sequence was my favorite, between the dick shrinking guy and immune system guy existing in the same space and then the Biden lady that was beyond parody.

I think like 75% of it was reused from the YT channel, but it was fun to see it all cut together like that and we got a lot more Florida Joker.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it was great. That sequence was my favorite, between the dick shrinking guy and immune system guy existing in the same space and then the Biden lady that was beyond parody.

I think like 75% of it was reused from the YT channel, but it was fun to see it all cut together like that and we got a lot more Florida Joker.

Nope, it was all new content, HBO just let him put some clips up on YouTube to promote the movie.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Martman posted:

I found The Menu fun and funny, but comparisons to Midsommar etc. are really surprising to me. I ended up being really shocked at how little tension there actually was in the situation, and then the movie almost calls that out explcitly when Chef asks them all to consider why they never even tried to escape. And then other than Margot/Erin, they end up just meekly accepting their fate by the end. I think it's more of a parody of horror; if I absolutely needed it to actually be thrilling, "claustrophobic" or tense or whatever, I would have been very disappointed.

Yeah I just watched it last night and agree. I really enjoyed it but it definitely seemed like a satire or hell even just a revenge fantasy against lovely people. The haute cuisine crap was basically just where their venn diagrams converged. I loved how they were all even to the point of "we love you chef" at the very end.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

mcmagic posted:

No lies detected. He’s trying to be a Woody Allen type and it doesn’t work at all.
I haven't seen the show but he plays a Woody Allen type quite well in Café Society.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nicholas Hoult is making a career of playing rich assholes. And he's pretty good at it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I didn't really take it like that with The Menu anyway. I mean, these are all rich cowards, and "why didn't they fight back???" is a question people ask in extreme situations that can also be paralyzing or discombobulating. There are scattered attempts, like chair guy, these just aren't people with solidarity or organization (as demonstrated when he gives the men a chance to escape). He also did have a bunch of large men with knives. Sure, maybe if you lead a general rebellion a couple people might make it out, but do you really think any of these soulless people are willing to be one of the majority who gets stabbed to death by a big cultist with a kitchen knife?
I mean it was a comedic horror farce, so sure there is some of that, he did say the line for a reason (and I thought it was mostly mocking, partly disingenuous).
I was definitely thinking it by the time they're all human smores though, sure. Lol..time to at least give a mass escape a try.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I didn't really take it like that with The Menu anyway. I mean, these are all rich cowards, and "why didn't they fight back???" is a question people ask in extreme situations that can also be paralyzing or discombobulating. There are scattered attempts, like chair guy, these just aren't people with solidarity or organization (as demonstrated when he gives the men a chance to escape). He also did have a bunch of large men with knives. Sure, maybe if you lead a general rebellion a couple people might make it out, but do you really think any of these soulless people are willing to be one of the majority who gets stabbed to death by a big cultist with a kitchen knife?
I mean it was a comedic horror farce, so sure there is some of that, he did say the line for a reason (and I thought it was mostly mocking, partly disingenuous).
I was definitely thinking it by the time they're all human smores though, sure. Lol..time to at least give a mass escape a try.

I did notice that while the security guards were present, they weren't sitting there brandishing knives until the very end. Also Ms Bloom played a critical part in calming them down... a bit maybe... after The Mess. Assuring them it was theatre. The human smores scene was hilarious though. Their "dressing" did remind me of Midsommar but just aesthetically.