Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Have they start filming the next season yet? I wonder if things kicking off with Russia in reality will make them have the US and USSR be more allied as a bit of contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
orbital 9/11

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That was already in Foundation :colbert:

Too bad that show was mostly crap :smith:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Have they start filming the next season yet? I wonder if things kicking off with Russia in reality will make them have the US and USSR be more allied as a bit of contrast.

Yeah, back in August.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I thought season 2 was mostly pretty good, but the writing was on the wall.

New season has Daniel Stern. Was that mentioned?

From Variety - "Stern joins the series as series regular as Eli Hobson, the new administrator at NASA. A former Auto Industry CEO, he’s been tasked with bringing the agency into the 21st century, a challenge much bigger than he anticipated."

Also has a guy named Toby Kebbell.

Also from Variety - Kebbell joins the series as Miles, described as “a former offshore oil platform worker who pursues a new job opportunity on Mars.”

Seems like permanent Mars colony will be a thing.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rental Sting posted:

Seems like permanent Mars colony will be a thing.

I hope Danny is still in space solitary, eating sad canned food, talking to a random object named Wilson

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Just binged watched all the seasons for the first time. What a roller coaster.

I really was impressed with season ones commitment to the setting, the time period and depiction of science, even if it was very 'Gravity' esque in its approach to realism. I was surprised at how well it integrated the family dynamics into the story of these astronauts in theoretical historical situations. Shaun's death hit me harder than a TV show has done in a long time.

The second season was enjoyable from the time skip aspect - though it seemed to get increasingly more unbelievable as it went further. Karen seemed like a completely different character, and Kelly's actress seemed much older than she was portraying, so it was hard to reconcile the sudden bandaid replacement. (Though they did ok at addressing this later).

The third season was where I realised this wasn't quite the prestige television I was gushing over anymore, but it sure was drat fun abject comedy. Now we have super business Karen becoming senior executives in private space companies, Ed conquering the universe through sheer grit and uncomfortable love triangles spanning decades, not to mention space babies.

We also have former astronauts blowing up NASA because of... Conspiracy theories?

Can't imagine where they're going next. I assume that we'll find NASA being substantially defunded as a way of slowing down the tech advancement as we come closer to our world. But I eagerly await more senior Ed adventures in outer space.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Won’t Ed be around the age Buzz Aldrin was when he punched that moon landing conspiracy nut on camera?It’ll be tough to keep him going in Season 4, unless they develop rejuvenation technology.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Or it’ll be Ed punching conspiracy nuts all season, guess that’ll work too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Isometric Bacon posted:

Ed conquering the universe through sheer grit

Well he would have, till he found out somebody conquered it once before and immediately lost all interest, and went and had a bit of a sulk in his ancient sports car while injecting as many steroids into his rear end as he could.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mokotow posted:

Or it’ll be Ed punching conspiracy nuts all season, guess that’ll work too.

A marked improvement over the Danny bullshit

e I looked it up, and the Aldrin punch was in 2002? Geez Louise. Buzz was about 70 then.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 24, 2022

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Isometric Bacon posted:

Can't imagine where they're going next. I assume that we'll find NASA being substantially defunded as a way of slowing down the tech advancement as we come closer to our world. But I eagerly await more senior Ed adventures in outer space.

Part of the idea of the show is that it's showing what the world could have been like if spending on space didn't slow down and kept the 60s pace going, so they aren't worried about eclipsing us.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Mokotow posted:

Won’t Ed be around the age Buzz Aldrin was when he punched that moon landing conspiracy nut on camera?It’ll be tough to keep him going in Season 4, unless they develop rejuvenation technology.

I will forever be grateful that such a satisfying moment in history was captured on video.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I will forever be grateful that such a satisfying moment in history was captured on video.

Now I never followed up on any details of the court case (if there was one), but I'm 100% certain that Buzz's lawyer said,"My client walked on the moon, this guy over here told him that he didn't" and the Judge immediately vaulted out of their seat and just started whaling on the dude himself. The guy's lawyer was aghast, then shrugged and started putting the boots to him too.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jerusalem posted:

Now I never followed up on any details of the court case (if there was one), but I'm 100% certain that Buzz's lawyer said,"My client walked on the moon, this guy over here told him that he didn't" and the Judge immediately vaulted out of their seat and just started whaling on the dude himself. The guy's lawyer was aghast, then shrugged and started putting the boots to him too.

No charges filed

"Police declined to charge Aldrin after witnesses came forward stating that Sibrel had physically provoked him by poking him with a Bible and demanding the 72-year-old swear he really did go to the moon. Additionally, Aldrin had stated he was acting in self-defense and in defense of his stepdaughter, who was accompanying him.

Witnesses also stated that Sibrel had not only lured Aldrin to the hotel under false pretenses, but that he had repeated harassed Aldrin and other Apollo astronauts over the years."

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

So for the purposes of the show, Ed can just punch anyone

:getin:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Witnesses also stated that Sibrel had not only lured Aldrin to the hotel under false pretenses, but that he had repeated harassed Aldrin and other Apollo astronauts over the years."

Imagine being this person, what a loving thing

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Taear posted:

Imagine being this person, what a loving thing

About 20 or so years ago I spent the better part of the day trying to convince one of my bosses at work that the dumb gently caress "documentary" he watched on Fox "proving" we never went to the moon was wrong.

Men and one of my co-workers built visual aids and carefully had to explain to him among other things how photo exposures worked (how come there's no stars in the pictures?!")

This was in the Air Force. He was a Lieutenant and we were junior enlisted. In a photography/video production unit. :smithicide:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Owlbear Camus posted:

About 20 or so years ago I spent the better part of the day trying to convince one of my bosses at work that the dumb gently caress "documentary" he watched on Fox "proving" we never went to the moon was wrong.

Men and one of my co-workers built visual aids and carefully had to explain to him among other things how photo exposures worked (how come there's no stars in the pictures?!")

This was in the Air Force. He was a Lieutenant and we were junior enlisted. In a photography/video production unit. :smithicide:

I will be generous and assume that your Loot was expertly trained to use the exact equipment for the exact photos the Air Force intended him to. None of which involves taking photos on the moon, so that is a mystery to him. It’s a blindspot peculiar to engineers of all kinds.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I, too, went to DINFOS.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I, too, went to DINFOS.

Hell yeah. DINFOS-trained killers.

In "defense" of this Lieutenant I think he was a former enlisted who cross trained out of fuels or something.

Still though. On principle I felt like I couldn't let a USAF officer go around with a brain telling him that arguably the most colossal aerospace achievement of the 20th century was a hoax.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I just binged the show over like 2.5 days. Gotta make the most of that Apple+ free trial, and it certainly wasn't gonna be watching past Episode 2 of Foundation, lol.

I've mostly enjoyed it except for the parts most of the thread has talked about (Danny, the other failson with the receding hairline, Karen's... whatever she's doing, etc).

The little mini-features between seasons/after episodes are such a nice touch and good world building. The production values on those "Science behind..." videos is also really great.

Data Graham posted:

Not sure how it burnishes China's pride to have them be a complete non-factor in the space race

Yeah, this has been bothering me, and using North Korea as a sort of proxy is kinda baffling until you think of the IRL "don't make babby China mad" dance that so many corporations are willing to do in order to access that market. The writers doubtless thought it was going to be too tight a tightrope to walk and said "stuff it, let's use DPRK".

China's total absence is nearly as jarring as North Korea's sudden resources and prowess though; India and Turkey have sent probes to Mars, but not China? I don't think there's been any mention of the Sino-Soviet split; the Soviets had a Cuban cosmonaut along with them to Mars, but not a Chinese one? Is the only time China is even mentioned when the girl at the Vietnamese restaurant tells Kelly that Vietnamese food is kinda like Chinese food? If I was one of the showrunners, I'd be so tempted to swap out any world maps in the background with one where China just isn't there, like it goes USSR/Mongolia/MORE PACIFIC OCEAN/Southeast Asia, just as a bit of a wink to the absurdity of what the corporate censorship requires.

The only way you could really spin it as making sense would be China doubling-down on the Great Leap Forward and flinging themselves back into the Dark Ages or something, but it's not like that portrayal is going to make the CCCP very happy either.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ed beat China up :colbert:

Although less flippantly, Ed is a Korean war vet, so China... Sort of features in the backstory? Though that's before the Great Divergence, anyway, so I guess it doesn't really count. And since I'm a Cold War fan, obligatory questions about Nixon's one-term presidency and what happened if even Nixon couldn't go to China :ohdear: (I can't remember if the show addresses this)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ethics_Gradient posted:

If I was one of the showrunners, I'd be so tempted to swap out any world maps in the background with one where China just isn't there, like it goes USSR/Mongolia/MORE PACIFIC OCEAN/Southeast Asia, just as a bit of a wink to the absurdity of what the corporate censorship requires.

Lol like in Steven Universe where there's a shot of the world map and there's just a giant crater where Russia should be :psyduck:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Canonically from an earth where Australia China doesn't exist.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

M_Gargantua posted:

Canonically from an earth where Australia China doesn't exist.

"What do you MEAN you disagree with me?!?!?"

*pushes big red button, Australia China explodes*

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Actual real world basket case north Korea has nukes and ballistic missiles. I don't think it's unrealistic for Space Universe Notth Korea to make it up there.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Actual real world basket case north Korea has nukes and ballistic missiles. I don't think it's unrealistic for Space Universe Notth Korea to make it up there.

There's... a LOT of history since the 90s that made them want to develop these things, and it's very lazy writing in a show where the whole sell is alt history and ignore the collapse of the USSR and it's absence in your universe just to say "lol tiny pp dprk missile man same-same all timelines."

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

There's... a LOT of history since the 90s that made them want to develop these things, and it's very lazy writing in a show where the whole sell is alt history and ignore the collapse of the USSR and it's absence in your universe just to say "lol tiny pp dprk missile man same-same all timelines."

They should've expanded on it, yeah. Instead of getting fixated on movies and kidnapping actors, the monomanic dictator of North Korea goes all space core from Portal 2 and begs, begs the USSR for space tech for decades, so the glory of Juche can conquer all of SPACE (or at least the solar system).

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
If China isn't written into the show next season we'll know conclusively that in this universe, China was all but destroyed by the eruption of a supermassive volcano located in the Heilongjiang province during the 19th century.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Rappaport posted:

They should've expanded on it, yeah. Instead of getting fixated on movies and kidnapping actors, the monomanic dictator of North Korea goes all space core from Portal 2 and begs, begs the USSR for space tech for decades, so the glory of Juche can conquer all of SPACE (or at least the solar system).

I don't think the DPRK is a major player in the solar system scale politics of the FAM universe if you actually extrapolated from a timeline with an extant USSR. Their whole ascent to boogieman du jour basically hinged on the collapse, with them like so many Soviet-allied smaller states being reduced in material conditions by losing their primary benefactor/security guarantor/trading partner and the US holding open auditions for the next Evil Empire so we could keep cutting checks to Raytheon and making them front-runners subject to bellicose threats. Thus incentivizing investment in force multipliers as a deterrent (j/k anyone but us would only want nukes if they are a crazy madman, we're sane to have hundreds though).

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Maybe, but not the way it was portrayed. Taking two living people to the surface of Mars in a modified Soyuz is just too wild. It's like showing that Columbus swam to the Americas.

I think the theory that the season was originally written with China in mind and Apple vetoed it makes the most sense. IIRC something like that happened with the Red Dawn remake. They had to switch China out with North Korea in post-production using CGI.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

I don't think the DPRK is a major player in the solar system scale politics of the FAM universe if you actually extrapolated from a timeline with an extant USSR. Their whole ascent to boogieman du jour basically hinged on the collapse, with them like so many Soviet-allied smaller states being reduced in material conditions by losing their primary benefactor/security guarantor/trading partner and the US holding open auditions for the next Evil Empire so we could keep cutting checks to Raytheon and making them front-runners subject to bellicose threats. Thus incentivizing investment in force multipliers as a deterrent (j/k anyone but us would only want nukes if they are a crazy madman, we're sane to have hundreds though).

Oh I'm not saying the FAM timeline Best Korea is some axis of evil nonsense. The Divergence happens in the summer in 1969 (good year!), Kim Jong-Il doesn't become god-emperor Supreme Leader until the nineties in our timeline. There's plenty of time for him to slip on a banana peel or choke on his own vomit after too much cognac, and instead of him we get someone who is crazy about SPAAAAAAAACE running Best Korea.

For reference, Kim Jong-Il was a crazy person who had prominent South Korean film makers kidnapped so they'd make epic movies for him. This kind of insanity, but for SPAAAAAAACE. The kidnappings happened in the 70's, so that'd give the space-crazy Kim youngster plenty of time to build a Juche space program.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I can't remember now, did we definitely see that NK didn't have some kind of hab module or something for the trip to Mars?

It's a bit goofy, but there are also some giant unknowns in terms of launch technology in the FAM early 90s, like how it's so easy by that point that a ton of elderly civilians can be shuttled into orbit for a wedding day trip.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Senor Tron posted:

I can't remember now, did we definitely see that NK didn't have some kind of hab module or something for the trip to Mars?

It's a bit goofy, but there are also some giant unknowns in terms of launch technology in the FAM early 90s, like how it's so easy by that point that a ton of elderly civilians can be shuttled into orbit for a wedding day trip.

I was having a look at the Soyuz on Wikipedia and it has both an orbital module and a descent module (the orbital module is meant to be disposable and isn't heat shielded, this helps them cut down on weight and cost, and gives the crew more space). We would have only seen the descent module on the surface which makes sense.

The article did say the Soyuz only carried enough life support for 30 person-days in space, so nowhere near what a Mars trip would require, especially not for the two dudes shown. In episode 1 the North Korean shrapnal was from... I forget what, but maybe their Soyuz was docking with a previously launched supply rocket and picked up an additional module with more food/air/propellant? Let's say they did. I think for a long time, the NASA Mars proposals involved refuelling/further assembly in orbit as a means of sidestepping having to develop a massive launch vehicle to do it all in one go, so it's not at all farfetched.

There are two main options then: 1) The NK mission was always meant to be one-way, or 2) there was a plan for a later recovery mission during the next launch window.

With Option 1, in recent years there have been some people in the West semi-seriously discussing making the trip to Mars one-way as a means to increase the feasibility, generally in the context that it doesn't seem like we're otherwise going there anytime soon (and there are enough Mars stans to find people to crew it). It's not a huge jump to think NK might do this as a chance to gain a massive amount of prestige on the world stage and among its own people, especially if the leader were trying to really cement their power.

Option 2: This is rather farfetched, but the North Koreans could have seen their only way at beating the other three teams to Mars as launching their guys with the minimum to get there, and launching an unmanned ship with a lifeboat capable of escaping Mars gravity/enough supplies to return to Earth in the next window to go pick them up. It's also possible the recovery ship was launched at the same time (maybe it was the thing that got destroyed at the start of S3?) and the guy was trying to make contact with it to get his ride home, but couldn't because his radio was busted or something.

Comedy option is a combination of 1, and the exit strategy being to hijack one of the other countries' ships if they landed successfully in a close enough area. Maybe the guy who survived was the scientist/pilot and the guy who was killed was the North Korean black ops soldier that was supposed to pull it off.

Anyways, while it's an interesting idea, the thing I really don't get about it is introducing the guy right at the end of the season, right before the time skip, means he's barely relevant to the plot. If it was a couple episodes earlier there could have been tension/fish out of water stuff as he interacted with the NASA crew, but as it stands the writers have asked the viewer to take a massive leap of faith in plausibility for... narratively, what, exactly? A delay of a few minutes while Dani and the cosmonaut brought back the docking McGuffin?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think the space hotel having a big fatal disaster on its first day was when this series really started to fall down for me. Like I get the need for drama but...when things go THAT bad THAT quickly you sort of have to think "maybe this space business is not such a good idea." Which isn't the message FAM wants to send at all, but the constant disasters and bodycount in Season 3 really makes you wonder how crewed space flight doesn't just get shut down for a serious breather and re-evaluation of the risk culture.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I’m still a fan of the idea that the isolated NK engineers outsider-arted a hyper-efficient consumables recycling system.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

I’m still a fan of the idea that the isolated NK engineers outsider-arted a hyper-efficient consumables recycling system.
this is essentially required by the plot because even for one guy that capsule isn’t big enough to hold air/water/food for just the months long trip to Mars, let alone more months on the surface

The NASA ship was also laughably small for the journey to Mars

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah but it looked cool, so I didn’t care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

General Battuta posted:

when things go THAT bad THAT quickly you sort of have to think "maybe this space business is not such a good idea."
which better aligns with my personal worldview and I wish they went further in that direction.With the slim margins they seemed to be running everything at, poo poo should be going catastrophically wrong all the time.

You can't reasonably expect to push your Mars mission up a year and for everything to go great, but in the FAM-iverse cutting edge space technology tends to run perfectly until a Stevens kid gets near it. There's even enough leeway to have an pregnancy birth on Mars without catastrophic downside, just pull one of those "The Martian" rocket jumps and bingo bongo nothing of value was lost