Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Chinathread: Chinese and foreign shadow juice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

Please post more

I think I have a bottle of Chinese 'Xinjiang Sandyland' white in a cupboard. I will hook it out and post my findings next time I find an excuse to crack open a bottle.

peanut posted:

lol do you have access to a lab for composition analysis? I'd love to see the results.

It was definitely wine, and not even the worst I've tasted this year! There are a handful of good quality wines out of China every year and they're getting better. But this was... definitely not one of their finer efforts.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

I feel like there's something very Chinese about the phrase "This wine, in accordance with international winemaking regulations, (is) carefully brewed and blended in oak barrels." How do you know this wine is good? Because we made it the exact same way all the top guys made it like you're supposed to, that's how you know we're quality!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

peanut posted:

lol do you have access to a lab for composition analysis? I'd love to see the results.

Yeah, I'd like to see the lead concentration.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

cynic posted:

I work for a company that handles wine awards, and we get a fair bit of Chinese wine through, and some brave souls like myself end up actually drinking them; specimens like this 'Chateaux Huadong Perry' which I kept some tasting notes on.

- initial notes of vinegar and burnt plastic, yet almost no body. It is somehow slightly grainy on the tongue despite the watery mouthfeel.

- the first few mouthfuls may have fused most of my taste buds as all I get now is a general sweetness, with a fairly mild chemical aftertaste.

- actual cherry and generic 'red wine flavors' are starting to push through the greasy film of awfulness.

- most of the flavor seems to evaporated after letting the glass breathe a bit further; a slight whiff reminiscent of fruit, a slight battery-acid burn at the back of the throat.

This is some great stuff

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That label reminds me of when I saw some liquor that had a bunch of award stickers but heard the "Oh Nonononononono" meme in my head when I noticed they were from a competition in Shanghai.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 8, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A lot of the problem is on the consumer side too. People in China (and South Korea), for the most part, want reds that are just kinda one note and excruciatingly sweet. There's no point making good wine as a Chinese winemaker because there's no market to sell it to. If people want to drink it they want the kool-aid poo poo, and if they want to show off how sophisticated they are they want expensive French bottles, not domestic. And there's no export market for Chinese wines.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I'm reminded of occasionally buying the weirdest, cheapest bottles of vodka I could find in eastern europe, which were always a surprise. like less than two bucks for half a liter of some god awful stuff that even the alcoholic bums wouldn't touch? you'd open it and get hit with the smell of solvents that didn't even make sense wrt alcohol production

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's the soju or bottom shelf baijiu experience for sure.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the 1500won soju is exactly the same every time. it's not any good, but it is exactly the same every time, come on

its the 150000won soju that has that insane variability

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

quote:

god awful stuff that even the alcoholic bums wouldn't touch? you'd open it and get hit with the smell of solvents that didn't even make sense

This is 100% the soju experience.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i'm talking about it always being a surprise. 1500won, you ain't ever getting a surprise

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Grand Fromage posted:

That's the soju or bottom shelf baijiu experience for sure.

I got told off by my handler for buying this as a birthday gift for my cousin

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I have bought vodka that reeked of bleach and gotten a “yeah vodka does that sometimes” from the store when I returned it. At least I haven’t seen that brand ever again / can’t even describe it beyond the colour of the label.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

I've also victimized a number of friends with this. Still got an unopened one around here somewhere. The finest liquor 2 RMB can buy.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I don’t drink alcohol but I love cheap grape soda. What’s the closest equivalent to that in China?

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Grand Fromage posted:

I've also victimized a number of friends with this. Still got an unopened one around here somewhere. The finest liquor 2 RMB can buy.

I had an unopened one for 7ish years. Lost 20% of its volume in that time.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I had an unopened one for 7ish years. Lost 20% of its volume in that time.
The beverage of Wind and Ghosts

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Since it's a 100 ml bottle I tried to bring one to attack Korean friends with but the security guy in China took it away from me. I tried to explain to him that I was not going to get drunk on the plane, you could not pay me to drink this poo poo. I failed.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

Since it's a 100 ml bottle I tried to bring one to attack Korean friends with but the security guy in China took it away from me. I tried to explain to him that I was not going to get drunk on the plane, you could not pay me to drink this poo poo. I failed.

"hey free ergoutou"

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Soju is apparently not awful? My sense of soju is ruined by association I think. Just the smell gives me this sense of death and I can't touch the stuff after drinking a few lifetimes worth of it in Korea.

But I was out with friends for Korean bbq and they had never had soju and they all thought it was good. I just wouldnt and stuck to my bottle of makgeolli which they all thought was gross. Which I don't understand because makgeolli is the best

I don't know people are confusing.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Baijiu is undrinkable though. I've had those awkward meals with the inlaws where my father in law basically forces me to have a giant glass of it, and my mother in law is telling me "just sip it to make him happy"

Sipping baijiu is not a good experience.

I gotta get them gifts for the holidays, my wife is telling me "just bring booze and cigarettes" but that always feels so awkward. I'm gonna try and make a bunch of fudge cuz that feels like a nice gesture, but also bring a couple bottles of lovely overpriced Chinese alcohol. I respect culture and I'm no better than anyone, but I hate all the rules of Chinese gift giving.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 8, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
big tray of fudge that has cigarettes and liquor buried in it, you'll be child (in law) #1 in no time

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
those liquor chocolates but intead of baileys and johnny walkers it's chunghwas and double happiness

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Nam Taf posted:

Oh Red Star is fine.... It's not the real bad stuff. I actually kind of like it. I like Baijiu in general though so my opinions are not to be trusted.

The real bad stuff comes in plastic jugs like this:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

SerCypher posted:

There's a whole gang of my father in laws friends, one always shows up with a big plastic jug of baijiu like that.

Except it doesn't have a label and it's shaped kinda like those plastic gas cans. It must be like 4 liters of baijiu or something. I have no idea where he gets it but wherever it is must be a wild place.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
your wife and inlaws may be on to something when they say 'just get him cigarettes and liquor'

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SerCypher posted:

Oh Red Star is fine.... It's not the real bad stuff. I actually kind of like it. I like Baijiu in general though so my opinions are not to be trusted.

"How's it taste?"
"It tastes like the tears of a starving orphan on a cold winter night, forlorn and desolate. No mixer could save this, and now I kinda want to die."
"Gotcha, wanna see if 5 runs through the Britta filter can save it?"
"No, I'm just going to go lay down for a while."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Gonna roll the dice on methanol with those, jesus h.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BrainDance posted:

Soju is apparently not awful? My sense of soju is ruined by association I think. Just the smell gives me this sense of death and I can't touch the stuff after drinking a few lifetimes worth of it in Korea.

But I was out with friends for Korean bbq and they had never had soju and they all thought it was good. I just wouldnt and stuck to my bottle of makgeolli which they all thought was gross. Which I don't understand because makgeolli is the best

its bad but its exactly the same bad each time. like a diet coke

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

cynic posted:

I work for a company that handles wine awards, and we get a fair bit of Chinese wine through, and some brave souls like myself end up actually drinking them; specimens like this 'Chateaux Huadong Perry' which I kept some tasting notes on.

- initial notes of vinegar and burnt plastic, yet almost no body. It is somehow slightly grainy on the tongue despite the watery mouthfeel.

- the first few mouthfuls may have fused most of my taste buds as all I get now is a general sweetness, with a fairly mild chemical aftertaste.

- actual cherry and generic 'red wine flavors' are starting to push through the greasy film of awfulness.

- most of the flavor seems to evaporated after letting the glass breathe a bit further; a slight whiff reminiscent of fruit, a slight battery-acid burn at the back of the throat.

showed this to a couple friends of mine that are vintners and they are begging for more, please hook a brother up

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I like baijiu fine, but if you're going to sip it, you need a can of Taiwan Classic or some really nice tea on hand.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

I like baijiu fine, but if you're going to sip it, you need a can of Taiwan Classic or some really nice tea on hand.

what type of spirit do the thai people like?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

I like sipping it as well, but if you're going to do shots I highly recommend using the little tiny baijiu shotglasses.

I think they're like 10ml usually, which makes it a little more surviveable. Doing full 1-2oz shots of baijiu is pretty rough.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I recently brought a small bottle of Er Guo Tou to my mom's place just to introduce it to a couple of her friends for a laugh. She didn't try it at the time, and everyone else was so grossed out by it that hardly any of it was actually consumed, so I left it in the mini-fridge/wine cooler. A few days later she called me and was like "I think you left a bottle of sake here but something's wrong with it, it tastes SO BAD" lol

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

SerCypher posted:

I like sipping it as well, but if you're going to do shots I highly recommend using the little tiny baijiu shotglasses.

I think they're like 10ml usually, which makes it a little more surviveable. Doing full 1-2oz shots of baijiu is pretty rough.

Yeah, my neighbor usually serves it up in the little glasses. It's only at some really sleezy bars in Taiwan that I've done 1-2oz shots of it. poo poo is rough.

Ups_rail posted:

what type of spirit do the thai people like?

If you're at a Thai style bar/restaurant, you'll see tables drinking some kind of blended rum or whiskey spirit. The popular ones are SangSom, Blend 285 and Pipers 100. It's usually served as a mixed drink with coke, ice, and soda water. There's also a spirit called lao khao which is made from molasses these days. You can buy officially distilled and bottled versions of it, but it's mostly moonshine and sold on the side of the road in reused bottles. It's often fused with local herbs and has a medicinal flavor to it. I think it's awful, but apparently it can be very popular.

Baijiu for life.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Atlas Hugged posted:

There's also a spirit called lao khao which is made from molasses these days. You can buy officially distilled and bottled versions of it, but it's mostly moonshine and sold on the side of the road in reused bottles. It's often fused with local herbs and has a medicinal flavor to it. I think it's awful, but apparently it can be very popular.

Give it a century, and there will be hipsters brewing small batches of it, competing with the handful of surviving commercial brands.

(Depending on the future development of Thailand, ofc.)

E: To expand on that, it sounds a lot like the history of European herbal spirits; akevitt/aquavit went from "dodgy farmer moonshine with herbs to take the edge off" to "that traditional thing your parents drag out for the Christmas dinner" in about that much time.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 9, 2023

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

BrainDance posted:

I just wouldnt and stuck to my bottle of makgeolli which they all thought was gross. Which I don't understand because makgeolli is the best

Same sometimes I drink makgeolli with the oldtimers and its really the only stuff I can drink in Korea.

The headaches I've had from soju are maybe among the worst hangovers I've experienced. Its also weird how people wanna mix it with beer. All the drat time it flattens the beer and tastes like gently caress. Max on draft is the best beer amongst the "Nascar" beers here

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Renreeja posted:

Same sometimes I drink makgeolli with the oldtimers and its really the only stuff I can drink in Korea.

The headaches I've had from soju are maybe among the worst hangovers I've experienced. Its also weird how people wanna mix it with beer. All the drat time it flattens the beer and tastes like gently caress. Max on draft is the best beer amongst the "Nascar" beers here

Makgeolli is so good I don't understand how it hasn't made it far out of Korea yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lolman
Jan 7, 2023

a real newbie
best country kek

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)