Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Truman Peyote posted:

i picked up a cookbook about eggs at a fancy kitchenware store once and it had a very charming introduction about how overlooked the humble egg is, even though it is the foundation of so many foods and so delightful on its own in so many forms. i was nodding along, i love eggs and eat a lot of them, so i flipped to the table of contents it went "chapter 1, quail eggs. chapter 2, duck eggs" and lol nope not buyin that poo poo

i found this old cookbook at an antique shop, the recipes were grouped and arranged by the number of yolks or whites you needed to use:

it has this wonderful recipe at the very end, i tried to make it once, but over-baked pretty severely and ruined it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

lord fifth posted:

looming real adulthood is hitting me as im preparing to sign up to split a tiny $4000/mo 2bdr. maybe i should try to live in the office this summer instead

i pay less for a studio in fuckin san francisco and paid less in palo alto, mountain view and menlo park, where the gently caress are you staying

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah are u in hong kong or smth

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
san francisco. where are you finding studios for less than 2000?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

lord fifth posted:

looming real adulthood is hitting me as im preparing to sign up to split a tiny $4000/mo 2bdr. maybe i should try to live in the office this summer instead

jesus gently caress that is grim.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Truman Peyote posted:

i picked up a cookbook about eggs at a fancy kitchenware store once and it had a very charming introduction about how overlooked the humble egg is, even though it is the foundation of so many foods and so delightful on its own in so many forms. i was nodding along, i love eggs and eat a lot of them, so i flipped to the table of contents it went "chapter 1, quail eggs. chapter 2, duck eggs" and lol nope not buyin that poo poo

quail eggs and duck eggs can both be good, op

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

lord fifth posted:

I found 40 on apartments.com and 50 on craigslist, even if many of them are duplicates. market was l i q u i d as poo poo august, which was when i last moved. i also asked for and got a small price decrease. you do need knowledge to know about the two or three usual categories of scams and both the actual bad neighborhoods and the ostensible bad neighborhoods that peeps avoid because they're racist

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lord fifth posted:

im finding them everywhere other than san francisco

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
maybe im just stupid. i will look again but maybe it's just that my east coast rear end is unfamiliar with the city

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
out of curiosity, what neighborhoods would you recommend to a summer intern wise bdid

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

lord fifth posted:

out of curiosity, what neighborhoods would you recommend to a summer intern wise bdid

are you actually interning at a sf (like, actually sf) place? if so, which place, if you're willing to divulge? (if not, what are the nearest cross streets to the place you'll be working at)

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
yeah actually in the city. the office is in mission bay and i think i mentioned where i'll actually be working once before anyway

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fart simpson posted:

quail eggs and duck eggs can both be good, op

that might be true but i have no idea where i'd buy them

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

lord fifth posted:

yeah actually in the city. the office is in mission bay and i think i mentioned where i'll actually be working once before anyway

yeah that specific neighborhood is among the most expensive in the country. but it's really fuckin close to the 4th and king caltrain station. stay near dogpatch (near 22nd st station) or bayview and commute in via caltrain or castro or the mission and commute via muni. there's like 15 public transit systems in the bay area cuz californians were huge fuckin racists in the 70s even if they are less so nowadays

castro's not that cheap anymore tbh

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
thank you so much, this is valuable information. it's hard sorting things out housing-wise when my only source of information is other interns who also know jack poo poo about the city

this housing hunt is so fun, i'll find what seems like a decent listing and then it turns out that there is literally no shower in the unit. like it's just someone's converted basement and they never installed a shower inside

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

lord fifth posted:

thank you so much, this is valuable information. it's hard sorting things out housing-wise when my only source of information is other interns who also know jack poo poo about the city

this housing hunt is so fun, i'll find what seems like a decent listing and then it turns out that there is literally no shower in the unit. like it's just someone's converted basement and they never installed a shower inside

these are almost certainly fraudulent unit splits, the signature housing fraud of sf because the place by any sane standard should be razed and every single building replaced with a 50 story soulless concrete apartment

here's a per-month map. it sucks as a map but you can get some median housing prices (to buy, which is only barely correlated w/ rent here) and the names of the neighborhoods.

https://www.bayareamarketreports.com/trend/san-francisco-neighborhood-map

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 8, 2023

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

there's no minimum number of references for this thing but it feels wrong that i only have one so far
i havent really needed to add any more though

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it also says here uber internship pays 7500/mo gross, which prolly ends up being like, 5000/mo net? so try not to partake too much of the hookers and blow and you'll prolly be fine anyways

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i'm several pages late but the audi tt is not cool. it's a car, named after a motorcycle race. also it looks dorky af

the miata is dope tho gj jonny

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
LOL im on the low end of the pay range for interns and thats still an underestimate for gross. i just like to keep all my finances tight so i dont want to end up paying too much or getting an otherwise bad deal

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
hey hbag look at our boy lord fifth over here stackin paper

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
on my way to being a real yospos stereotype

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yes, yes, we all know im a failure

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
youre funnier than me thats gotta count for something

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hbag posted:

yes, yes, we all know im a failure

as i say in the greyforum threads, figgieland is not a state of mind, it is a physical location you can buy a plane ticket to. $300 for uber boy here and like £600 for you

it is your prerogative to stay in the single least lucrative sector of computer-touching, just about, but it should be a conscious decision you make

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

£600? i barely have £100

e: also im not moving countries lol

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if you're a deece candidate, the company will fly you out on their dime

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im in a constant state of panic whenever i leave the house im hardly a "deece candidate" for anything lmao

anyway bedtime goodnight

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
there’s no egg shortage here hth

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Truman Peyote posted:

that might be true but i have no idea where i'd buy them

i see them at the grocery store all the time. maybe try that?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lord fifth posted:

maybe im just stupid. i will look again but maybe it's just that my east coast rear end is unfamiliar with the city

how close do you want to live to your workplace? because there are plenty of $1000-1200 rooms for rent in the western neighborhoods. search for sunset, parkside, richmond, ucsf. these are primarily residential areas with commercial streets running through every four or six blocks.

yeah, you won't live right next to your workplace. but san francisco is only 7 miles wide, so even if you lived literally on ocean beach and commuted to the ball park it's not going to take all that long.

the western side of the city is cheaper, roomier, quieter, safer, easier to park. the downsides are that it's foggy a lot of the time (though not really if you're going to be here in the summer), transit is sparse (look for a place near one of the muni lines), and there isn't the club scene if you're at an age where you're into that.

oh and also the downtown snobs who never go more than 5 blocks from their home will treat you like you live on mars.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
those deffo are rooms qua rooms, i was talkin studios. you can deffo get down to sub-1400 on individual rooms in both west sf and south sf (a different city, confusingly). there deffo seemed to be a distinct preference from those peeps for like Real Adults like yourself tho, iirc, so lord fifth might have difficulty actually getting the room

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

all that said, if it's just a summer internship, gently caress it, just set your search filter to 1/3 of your gross and pick the place you like. money's just money. i personally hate commuting and would (and do) pay more to live close enough to bicycle to my workplace.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

those deffo are rooms qua rooms, i was talkin studios. you can deffo get down to sub-1400 on individual rooms in both west sf and south sf (a different city, confusingly).

well he said he was going to split a 2br with someone else so that's the model i was going with

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
imo dont live 5-10 mins from work. not enough headchange space

20-30m is the best to switch modes. anything less and you feel like you're living in an auxiliary room of the office. anything more and commute is a grind, and rush hour 1.5x's everything

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

stay in the mission and eat bomb rear end mexican food.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what the gently caress is this poo poo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

well he said he was going to split a 2br with someone else so that's the model i was going with

yeah makes sense

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Roosevelt posted:

what the gently caress is this poo poo

motivation?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and yeah lol the apartment hunt blows rear end. i finally found my new place last month and it's great but it took four months of active searching. the worst part is the outright lies in the ads. like photos taken years and years ago when the place was a single family home, and now it's been a student flop house and it's a dump full of dogshit. or i saw one place advertised as "1 bedroom plus office" and the "office" was the hallway between the kitchen and the bedroom. another spot added together the square footage of the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and closets and claimed that figure for the bedroom alone. it's incredibly scummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

imo dont live 5-10 mins from work. not enough headchange space

20-30m is the best to switch modes. anything less and you feel like you're living in an auxiliary room of the office. anything more and commute is a grind, and rush hour 1.5x's everything

ehh, once you leave the building you should be able to separate the two