Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Like, tonally I would say it's exactly the same as Sky in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

UnderFreddy posted:

reading discussions on Cold Steel is so weird to me, as a person who has only played the Sky series. How does the series turn into high school harem poo poo from such a fantastic starting point?

have you played sky sc dude. did you mind wipe the entire main romance and all of tita and agate

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly, the worst parts of Cold Steel are the parts they inherited from Sky.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cold steel is goofy but like. 99% of the stuff people complain about in it happens in the earlier games too. we're all gonna get to see the canonical first appearance of the wacky boob grope lesbian in trails to azure this year. the actual problem with cold steel is just the pacing being so funky, nothing else about it is really new. and again it's not actually that, harem-y. rean does not canonically have dozens of women literally fawning over him they just try to leave an odd amount of room to have a romance with most of them if you pursue it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

UnderFreddy posted:

reading discussions on Cold Steel is so weird to me, as a person who has only played the Sky series. How does the series turn into high school harem poo poo from such a fantastic starting point?
its like almost exactly the same game, it just takes place in a military training school instead of the protagonist being a trainee adventurer/problem solver/cop-lite

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah any weird "romance" in Cold Steel 1/2 is definitely something I can point to a predecessor in Sky. The big change is that Sky was focused on two leads who you didn't make decisions for, they were their own characters, and CS tries letting you control who you wanna focus on in the larger cast, so that means anyone who you don't hone in on is flat until any of their own story events in the main plot, with a sideboard of "some of the ladies are romance options (romance may appear 2+ games in)" dividing everything further.

It's just spread very thin trying to provide player agency over the events.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how could there be high school harem poo poo in the trails series, i say as joshua has high school harem poo poo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
frankly it's less harem-y than persona cause you can't, literally enter a relationship with multiple women at once. the game locks you into one and there's pretty much always been a few specific options that were pushed harder than others. if you don't bother to hang with a character like laura or fie for romantic moments it's not really something the story ever pushes at all

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

The Colonel posted:

have you played sky sc dude. did you mind wipe the entire main romance and all of tita and agate

yeah, then you ignore those characters and don't use them. They're not even that big a part of SC. Doesn't move away from the fun dialogue between the relevant characters in the game. It's not like Estelle creates a reverse harem

like Sky has incredibly well-written character dialogue from most of the relevant characters. Ofc it's easy to say "pretend Agate and Tita don't exist" but it's relatively simple to write it off as a brother-sister relationship. High school harem poo poo is a ways off.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

people calling rean the harem guy is just funny to me after going through some of falcom's gag stuff since they themselves make "being a harem guy" lloyd's second primary character trait after "is cop"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
More games should copy FE's match making mechanic. Why decide the romance of one dude when I can decide the love lives of an entire group

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

UnderFreddy posted:

yeah, then you ignore those characters and don't use them. They're not even that big a part of SC. Doesn't move away from the fun dialogue between the relevant characters in the game. It's not like Estelle creates a reverse harem

Okay I don't think I have a foot in this convo because I definitely think Estelle should have a reverse harem

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the dynamic between tita and agate doesn’t start to go bad until Third, when tita’s horrible mother enters the mix

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Tired Moritz posted:

Okay I don't think I have a foot in this convo because I definitely think Estelle should have a reverse harem

as long as I'm not the one who makes the decision on who Estelle wants to have in the reverse harem, I can sort of accept it. It's the "pick your waifu" wish fulfilment stuff that makes me not want to start up the Cold Steel series. Like if it's just Rean choosing by himself or having a harem because The Plot Says So, that's better at least.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

More games should copy FE's match making mechanic. Why decide the romance of one dude when I can decide the love lives of an entire group

Fire Emblem would be a better game if they dropped the battles and just let me play match maker

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the choose your waifu is there to let you give rean a tragic gay romance for the fujos

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also i dont think "you can just ignore all of the parts of sky you don't like" is actually a defense of sky having those parts

i can ignore the part of yakuza 5 where haruka meets a fat girl and the joke is that the girl is fat and she bounces around like a beach ball cause she's fat. but it's still a part of the game that was there

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

The Colonel posted:

also i dont think "you can just ignore all of the parts of sky you don't like" is actually a defense of sky having those parts

i can ignore the part of yakuza 5 where haruka meets a fat girl and the joke is that the girl is fat and she bounces around like a beach ball cause she's fat. but it's still a part of the game that was there

i have admittedly never played 3rd, but FC and SC did not have it come across as a relationship like you described earlier. If it is as bad as some other posters mention in that game, then it is ofc impossible to ingore. I just didn't see it at all like that in the other games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
in the other games they were making jokes about olivier being an ultra horny bisexual

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the pick your waifu wish fulfillment, for the only game in the series thats popular with women

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

UnderFreddy posted:

as long as I'm not the one who makes the decision on who Estelle wants to have in the reverse harem, I can sort of accept it. It's the "pick your waifu" wish fulfilment stuff that makes me not want to start up the Cold Steel series. Like if it's just Rean choosing by himself or having a harem because The Plot Says So, that's better at least.

Yeah but the devs picked the boring Joshua option instead of letting me teach Tita the agony of having your pseudo-big sister make out with her crush

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
every series does have kind of a different tone and specific generation of anime it takes influence from so i can get why there are preferences for each, sky has the most of a simple fantasy adventure story tone to it and that draws some people to it as opposed to the more dingy, dirty crime and political drama of crossbell, or the more specifically youth-focused interpersonal relationship drama with vague political smatterings of cold steel. it's just that if anything the worst thing you can say about trails is that its quality is on a pretty flat line, even in its big shake ups it generally maintains the same sensibilities it's had since the beginning. there's just a lot more in it now

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rean is not a blank slate wish-fulfillment protagonist, you just get to choose who he hangs out with sometimes, and ultimately who he chooses to dance with at prom or whatever.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

Fire Emblem would be a better game if they dropped the battles and just let me play match maker

I was going to agree but then I noticed it's you so now I'm revaluating my values.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think some of the relationship stuff in fire emblem is interesting but i don't actually want the entire series to purely be about the relationship things because while it may be hosed up, i think some of the games have pretty interesting srpg design ideas

honestly if they divided the series between games that play more like the old ones and ones that are more focused on the relationship stuff i might be fine with that. there's merits to both and it'd be a shame to totally lose either direction but you can't really combine the best of both that well

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 8, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Clarste posted:

Rean is not a blank slate wish-fulfillment protagonist, you just get to choose who he hangs out with sometimes, and ultimately who he chooses to dance with at prom or whatever.

CS2's choice is pretty explicitly intimate. He hooks up with his girl of choice in the student dorm after retaking Trista

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that choice includes the dudes as options too

hell it's pretty uncommon for cold steel to ever disallow you from picking one of the dudes in one of those scenes

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

UnderFreddy posted:

You know the chapter in Sky FC that's set in a school and its one of the best chapters in the game? The tone is just that.

Except when its time for the school festival you start a band instead of put on a play

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Also like how in Sky every teenage girl is in love with Josh? Its similar to that except a bit less annoying.

They're very similar games

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I saw an idea once for a game where you played an old man strategist member of, like, a ninja clan, taking a team of Determined Youngsters to Save The World, but just before you leave your boss gives you a second-only-to-world-saving objective of "look, our clans' bloodline is going to become stagnant if we don't do something about it, and you're definitely going to get more allies on your quest, so use your tactical genius to get some of these idiots to hook up with outsiders without them knowing you set it up", with bonus points for pairs that a. bring techniques or magic into the clan and b. pairs that are genuinely good matches between people.

The idea didn't specify if it was a tactical RPG or a more traditional one, nor if there would be a second generation like FE4, but I always thought the idea had some merit.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think making it that explicit and textual to the narrative just makes it kind of weird and creepy and raises questions that aren't there when it's just a vague mechanical abstraction that in-universe still just amounts to "these two characters incidentally have spent time together, thus their relationship has grown" even if it required conscious choice by the player

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
could be interesting if the point of it is to be weird though i guess. plenty of social manipulation games where the point is that the manipulation you're doing is just a little bit weird. but i dont really want a "we are carrying forward the bloodline" explanation for a game where i want to hook up the funny pink lesbian with the sexy butch one or something

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I wish Oreshika was less clunky

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://prokopetz.tumblr.com/post/140804901112/prokopetz-what-with-all-these-games-coming-out

Found the source I was talking about.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
this conversation made me realize I own cold steel 1 on steam

what the gently caress? I have no memory of buying or receiving this??

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
look if we just give me money to do video games i will have cool ideas instead of ideas people dislike, i will do romance options in a smart unique mechanically interesting way, my paypal is

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like how in troubleshooter they have relationship mechanics but they are more used to tell you stuff like "this character is lesbians with this character" or "these two dislike each other" or "this character is disgusted by men who don't wear shirts in public"

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Barudak posted:

I'm sure there's a dating sim VN that lets you pair up the entire cast.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Irene's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

The Colonel posted:

cold steel is goofy but like. 99% of the stuff people complain about in it happens in the earlier games too. we're all gonna get to see the canonical first appearance of the wacky boob grope lesbian in trails to azure this year. the actual problem with cold steel is just the pacing being so funky, nothing else about it is really new. and again it's not actually that, harem-y. rean does not canonically have dozens of women literally fawning over him they just try to leave an odd amount of room to have a romance with most of them if you pursue it

I actually think the problem is the other way around— I never really got invested in any of Rean’s relationships with his classmates in CS1, and I think that because the relationship system meant Falcom had to give Rean’s friendships with each classmate roughly the same weight. Among other things, this means they can’t really give the guy a romance! This isn’t as big of a problem as I expected (since unlike Sky FC, CS1 is very interested in relationships between characters who aren’t the protagonist) but I do think it hurts the game.

But yeah, the idea that it’s an annoying wish fulfillment thing is weird to me too.