Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Yes. And as recently as 2 years ago I flew with a 300 number flight attendant who was in her 70's. A Dallas lady who was one of the first 300 employees hired by southwest ever. A clause in the flight attendant contract allows them to retain their benefits as long as they attend recurrent training every year regardless of the number of flights they fly. So they can give away all of their trips, never fly, and still keep their health benefits. Not bad if you ask me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’s real loving stupid that if I’m flying with an infant that I don’t get a carry on. Send tweet.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

You’re supposed to put the baby in the overhead, hth

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Freaquency posted:

You’re supposed to put the baby in the overhead, hth

Or under the seat in front of you

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Timmy Age 6 posted:

I don’t think any major passenger carrier is still flying -200s in the US. Though there’s a cargo outfit in Miami that still flies DC-3s around the Caribbean! Kind of wild to see one of those fly over.

A former student/co-worker of mine is now a no-poo poo DC-3 first officer. His have been upgrade with turbine engines too!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PT6A posted:

A former student/co-worker of mine is now a no-poo poo DC-3 first officer. His have been upgrade with turbine engines too!

one of those Baslers flew stripes over my home for hours doing disaster imagery after hurricane florence, they are shockingly quiet

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Warbird posted:

It’s real loving stupid that if I’m flying with an infant that I don’t get a carry on. Send tweet.

I’ve never had this problem. Flown with lap child multiple times with two carryons + a diaper bag. What airline did you experience this ?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bob A Feet posted:

I’ve never had this problem. Flown with lap child multiple times with two carryons + a diaper bag. What airline did you experience this ?

United, but that may be operating as expected. The gate agent took pity on me and hooked us up but it would have been $140 for a single one if she hadn’t. My understanding from chatting with some poor rando on the Delta app is the same applies there, single personal item. That implies just a backpack/underseat, but I’m not about to gently caress around and find out. I’ll ask when we get there proper, the Mrs. gets the cheapest tickets she can find so I’m sure that’s not helping.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

PT6A posted:

These guys are still flying with radials! Newest airframe was built in 1945...
Amusingly, their website is as much "hey check this out we still fly DC-3s and all our planes are ancient" as it is "we can fly your cargo from point A to point B."

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Warbird posted:

United, but that may be operating as expected. The gate agent took pity on me and hooked us up but it would have been $140 for a single one if she hadn’t. My understanding from chatting with some poor rando on the Delta app is the same applies there, single personal item. That implies just a backpack/underseat, but I’m not about to gently caress around and find out. I’ll ask when we get there proper, the Mrs. gets the cheapest tickets she can find so I’m sure that’s not helping.
Aero AI: Your child is your single personal carry on item.

Did they make you check that he fit in the carry-on size checker?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

shame on an IGA posted:

one of those Baslers flew stripes over my home for hours doing disaster imagery after hurricane florence, they are shockingly quiet

Yeah, it's a very cool plane. He's down in Antarctica right now. This is the kind of stuff he always wanted to do, and I'm thrilled for him that he got pretty much the exact position he was after.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

slidebite posted:

Aero AI: Your child is your single personal carry on item.

Did they make you check that he fit in the carry-on size checker?

She and yes as a matter of fact.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Timmy Age 6 posted:

I don’t think any major passenger carrier is still flying -200s in the US. Though there’s a cargo outfit in Miami that still flies DC-3s around the Caribbean! Kind of wild to see one of those fly over.

They still occasionally show up at cargo city at KMIA, parked between 767 and 777 freighters. It’s wild.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

I’ll ask when we get there proper, the Mrs. gets the cheapest tickets she can find so I’m sure that’s not helping.

Double check what you get with those tickets, the cheap rear end fares for the big three often have restrictions like Spirit and Frontier on what you get with the basic fare.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Midjack posted:

Double check what you get with those tickets, the cheap rear end fares for the big three often have restrictions like Spirit and Frontier on what you get with the basic fare.

Yup, those basic fares are almost never worth the savings you supposedly get.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

https://twitter.com/EK_Valensvek/status/1611910220187402242

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

That seems like a very small load capacity. That can’t possibly be right can it?

For comparison from here:

ATR72 - 9 tons
737-400F - 22.5 tons
Dassault Falcon 20 Cargo - 2.5tons…so easily beat your by a biz jet?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 9, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It’s rather small. Just looks big when photographed without people around.

https://youtu.be/2yyfOGvDMcw

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

mlmp08 posted:

What about the part of ads that explicitly said you had to be attractive and boasted that they don't hire women who aren't pretty enough?

this poo poo is wild:

Can you point out where in the TWA flyer it mentions being attractive?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

Do you think it's just an odd coincidence that the same company offering attractive stewardesses in ads to passengers and also asking for attractive stewardesses in some of their recruiting ads also asked for petite women in an ad that didn't specifically ask for attractiveness?

Here is an example of how the job was marketed to women.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-zyLq067Y

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 9, 2023

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mlmp08 posted:

Do you think it's just an odd coincidence that the same company offering attractive stewardesses in ads to passengers and also asking for attractive stewardesses in some of their recruiting ads also asked for petite women in an ad that didn't specifically ask for attractiveness?

To say nothing of the copy in the ad being a little more than suggestive.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah, if it's weight savings, I suspect a 27 year old or a 30 year old who's petite could also be light enough to fly....

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

"The Coffee Tea or Me Girls' 'Round the World Diary Paperback – January 1, 1971 "

https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Girls...000S6R8D8&psc=1

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mlmp08 posted:

It’s rather small. Just looks big when photographed without people around.

https://youtu.be/2yyfOGvDMcw

Oh wow that is small.

Mortabis posted:

Jesus dude I guess not everyone has to be an ally but you could at least not be an ostrich

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Midjack posted:

Oh for sure. The woman has cheap in her blood so that may take some doing. We booked Speer toy for the same flight because somehow it saved a few bucks this trip. I’m kind of pushing for getting a credit card with one of the big three so we can get, you know, decent seats every so often.

Anyway the baby pitched a poo poo fit between Detroit and Charlotte and I wanted to die. I’m pretty sure I peeped the lady behind us filming the kid flipping out too. Not happy about that but no expectations of privacy and so on. Just bad nap timing. We had hoped she would pass out before the flight and sleep through most of it but she screamed herself to sleep somewhere around Ohio and we all got a little peace.

Oh and a “no” on the ILI checked bag for Delta as well, so I guess that is a thing. Website implied you got one, bag check lady said it was all good, gate person said lol no. May just be the tickets as mentioned though. I kind of want to email ol’ Mayor Pete about it, though I’ll be the first to admit it isn’t a pressing matter. Kind of lovely regardless.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mobby_6kl posted:

Or under the seat in front of you

Please gate check it.

Beef Of Ages posted:

Yup, those basic fares are almost never worth the savings you supposedly get.

gently caress the JTAR.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 9, 2023

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I got the impression the baby was traveling on your lap. I'm pretty surprised that babies aren't required to have their own seat with a certified safety seat. At that point they would deserve their own carry-on.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Saukkis posted:

I got the impression the baby was traveling on your lap. I'm pretty surprised that babies aren't required to have their own seat with a certified safety seat. At that point they would deserve their own carry-on.

Yes, “infant in arms” up to 2 years has always seemed pretty questionable to me.

But I have a 36” tall 2 year old so my perspective is possibly well out of the norm.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Saukkis posted:

We always ponied up for the extra seat and brought a safety seat (they let you board first to set it up which is a hidden plus).

I realize that’s not an option for many but I felt it was worth the stretch.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Kai-Tak checkerboard was restored sometime in 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The Kai-Tak checkerboard was restored sometime in 2021

Hell yeah. Will never see that in person but it's my favorite (modded) MSFS2020 destination together with Paro.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Apparently there's a notoriously temperamental A340: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deli_Mike

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The A340 is such a goofy looking plane.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Apparently there's a notoriously temperamental A340: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deli_Mike

quote:

In December 2022, Deli Mike and three other former Turkish Airlines Airbus A340's flew again for the first time in years.[13] The planes departed Johannesburg back to back on 24 December towards Uzbekistan, but made an emergency landing at Mehrabad International Airport in Tehran, reportedly to evade sanctions placed on Iran.[14]

Sanctions should have an exception for exceptionally temperamental pieces of equipment.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
With the junk that Iranian Airlines have to fly because of the sanctions those janky A340s will be an upgrade.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Three means they could keep one flying I suppose. Giving them only the temperamental one is a troll.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sanctions placed on aviation are extremely bad and counter-productive.

I absolutely loathe the Iranian regime, I anathematize them, but people should still be able to fly to and from the country in safety if only so that people can GTFO without wondering if they'll die in the process. Maintaining aviation safety is more important than political considerations. I feel the same way about Russia, too. They should be allowed to operate their full slate of flights, and they should be directed into a passport control queue that divides into "political asylum" and "go the gently caress back to Russia right away, the plane is waiting for you!" because it should be handled at an immigration level, not an aviation level.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So naval aircraft carriers are old hat, and airships with parasite fighters have been floated, and submarines with planes have been sunk, and everyone loves that one piece of art with the desert‐crawling seaplane carrier.

Has anyone ever asked “why don’t we put a runway on a train?” :catdrugs:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Platystemon posted:

So naval aircraft carriers are old hat, and airships with parasite fighters have been floated, and submarines with planes have been sunk, and everyone loves that one piece of art with the desert‐crawling seaplane carrier.

Is the train on a treadmill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HfvS68aMIc