Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If you think about it, we only eat the female chickens.
Do cocks/roosters/male chickens taste different?

Edit: 118 BC, Emperor Wu of Han secretly executes his favourite necromancer Shao Weng for fraud.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jel Shaker posted:

would love some bantams but until someone invents a cattery for hens (henry?) we’d never be able to go on holiday again

Do you not have a neighbour

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Used to keep chickens. Can confirm, the eggs are VASTLY better and they just keep coming!

We also had an invasive rooster for a period of time and he would regularly have his way with the chickens, then escape over the the garden fence while my dad ran after him screaming about cock soup. I thought it was very funny. Plus chicklets are ridiculously cute.
Less cute, having the chore of cleaning up chicken poo poo from the garden with a trowel as a bawling 8 year old that just wanted to go play micro machines.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

Used to keep chickens. Can confirm, the eggs are VASTLY better and they just keep coming!

We also had an invasive rooster for a period of time and he would regularly have his way with the chickens, then escape over the the garden fence while my dad ran after him screaming about cock soup. I thought it was very funny. Plus chicklets are ridiculously cute.
Less cute, having the chore of cleaning up chicken poo poo from the garden with a trowel as a bawling 8 year old that just wanted to go play micro machines.

We had goats (partly because my dad used to have to look after a large church yard and orchard and they were better than a mower because he didn't have to push it about but also because back then, the doc told my parents that eczema - which I suffered from extremely badly - was caused by cow's milk.). Kids are very cute. Big goats hm. One got jealous of my mum and if dad was not around the goat would charge at my mum and butt her in the butt.
My dad used to milk the nanny and got 18 pints a day out of her and made goat butter. But I refused to drink it. The only goat-product I like is norwegian gjetost (caramelized cheese). One died and my dad skinned it and made a hearth rug (yuck).

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
A friend of mine has 15 chickens and employed a builder to make them an actual chicken mansion. The combination of the extreme heat last summer and then avian flu requiring them to be indoors for long periods, she decided they needed a proper place to live. It's even got electricity (mostly for lights to help with cleaning it out, but also to run a fan to cool it in summer).

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

happyhippy posted:

I've had capon.

Tastes like chicken.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The only goat-product I like is norwegian gjetost (caramelized cheese)

Ah that's a shame. I have a similar issue with cows milk and was actually allergic to breast milk too, so grew up on goats milk. I adore the stuff.

I do find occasionally it can be a bit... Goaty? I had some goats cheese camembert for Christmas that was inedibly so. Everyone tried to eat some after I noped out as it was apparently ludicrously expensive and yeah. That resulted in early gin and tonics for all.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

happyhippy posted:

This is why the left is losing young male chickens, we have nothing to offer them.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

happyhippy posted:

Tougher texture is the usual complaint.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Apparently castration of cockerels tends to lead to defeating the taste difference, if done early enough.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
delicious forcefem chicken

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Oh the eggs start coming. And they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and the y don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming and they don't stop coming SMASH MOUTH EAT THE EGGS

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Guavanaut posted:

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I had a baller
I wish I was a poo poo mockney twat in a hat
With a fancy fruit corer

I just wanted to let you know that I appreciated this greatly.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
My lights and monitor keep going out, but the internet is fine and my microwave still knows the time.

I don't understand electricity.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

mossyfisk posted:

My lights and monitor keep going out, but the internet is fine and my microwave still knows the time.

I don't understand electricity.

When you say 'the internet is fine' - do you mean your router is working ok and is it plugged in next to the monitor (so likely on the same circuit) or in a different location or 4G or 5G mobile wifi of some sort?

Sounds like your lights and monitor are somehow on the same circuit (I'm assuming you mean overhead lights so if they and your monitor on the same circuit that sounds a bit of dodgy wiring.

We've got a weird one like that in our flats where the hot water heater for hand washing in the guest bedroom is somehow on the same circuit as front door keypad (to the whole block!), outside lights that come on at night and ground floor communal area sockets. They kept blowing out and took me forever to pin it down to the water heater. Anyway, took the fuse out of the water heater & put an 'out of order' notice on it and no problems since.

Anyway, I digressed somewhat. If it's raining heavily maybe a leak somewhere getting in to the lighting? (Again, we've got that now in the last week - slate must have slipped on the roof somewhere - water getting in and knocking out the ceiling lights.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 8, 2023

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Suggestions for online 'just the facts' news sources better than BBC News, please. What's a better first page to check in the morning now?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When you say 'the internet is fine' - do you mean your router is working ok and is it plugged in next to the monitor (so likely on the same circuit) or in a different location or 4G or 5G mobile wifi of some sort?

Sounds like your lights and monitor are somehow on the same circuit (I'm assuming you mean overhead lights so if they and your monitor on the same circuit that sounds a bit of dodgy wiring.

We've got a weird one like that in our flats where the hot water heater for hand washing in the guest bedroom is somehow on the same circuit as front door keypad (to the whole block!), outside lights that come on at night and ground floor communal area sockets. They kept blowing out and took me forever to pin it down to the water heater. Anyway, took the fuse out of the water heater & put an 'out of order' notice on it and no problems since.

Anyway, I digressed somewhat. If it's raining heavily maybe a leak somewhere getting in to the lighting? (Again, we've got that now in the last week - slate must have slipped on the roof somewhere - water getting in and knocking out the ceiling lights.)

Sorry, I was a bit vague. There's a powerline fault nearby and it briefly knocked all my electric out a few times. Just a bit mystified by what things can take that without complaints.

Although the wiring is insane. I had a breaker go once that took out all the lighting except in my bedroom.

mossyfisk fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 8, 2023

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol that really does look like Starmer under the makeup

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1611928201361608707

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Is that even a bed? It looks way too short.

Fuckin clowns, man

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Microplastics posted:

Is that even a bed? It looks way too short.

Fuckin clowns, man

still fits 15 of them though

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Something I've never understood - do chickens just make eggs anyway regardless or does a male chicken have to be hanging around?
(I passed O-level biology by managing to write my 5 essays using just spirogyra & amoebas) because biology was the most boring compulsory subject ever at school.

Like most animals, they produce eggs regardless of whether there is a male around to fertilise them. Different breeds have different frequencies: we have a warren who is just a machine, she lays an egg a day. The other two are freeloading at the moment, but should start laying again soon.

Jel Shaker posted:

would love some bantams but until someone invents a cattery for hens (henry?) we’d never be able to go on holiday again

Those do exist. Probably not during avian flu season, but I have a friend who uses one occasionally when they can’t get neighbours to help.

However, we have automated doors on our run and coop that open in the morning when it’s light, and we pay someone to pop round on the afternoon to put the girls away and check they have enough food and water.

Do it! Get chickens!

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
gently caress...So I've been getting letters from Thames water essentially weekly about getting a water meter installed. Nothing that says I HAD to get one, but it was annoying enough that eventually I said gently caress it, fine, come install the thing.

They installed it on Monday, and yesterday when I had to go into the cupboard where the meter is for the first time: water leaking out of all the pipes where they connect to the meter 😑 so the carpet in there is all water damaged, which I'm sure they won't pay out to replace. They're supposed to come out sometime this week.

If they tell you that you need one, tell them to gently caress off, and if they DO install one, check it regularly for the first week.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Keep on at them and take them for all you can get IMO, if their work fucks up your house they should absolutely be liable.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah shoddy craftsmanship from them demanding you install it on their advice - there will absolutely be some way of telling them to cough up.

But yeah, anyone even remotely associated with businesses like that I give the ol BBC licencing treatment. "Get hosed and gently caress off."

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

chird posted:

Suggestions for online 'just the facts' news sources better than BBC News, please. What's a better first page to check in the morning now?

Congrats, you're already on it!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Just go direct to Reuters, it's where everyone else gets their stories then puts their poo poo spin on it.

They still have some left leaning bias, but it's probably one of the only news site that isn't specific to a subject area that is more credible and factual than most.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 8, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"LONDON, Jan 8 - British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said inflation was not guaranteed to fall this year and his government would have to be disciplined to ensure it comes down."

Ahahaha, a responsible government - haven't seen one in over a decade.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

By "his government would have to be disciplined" he means that all the money is being spent on dominatrices.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The government has had a findom kink for decades, only the doms are corporations

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Diet Crack posted:

Just go direct to Reuters, it's where everyone else gets their stories then puts their poo poo spin on it.

They still have some left leaning bias, but it's probably one of the only news site that isn't specific to a subject area that is more credible and factual than most.

They also have a pretty good app IMO, less busy and more densely packed than the Graun and the BBC.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 8, 2023

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

By "his government would have to be disciplined" he means that all the money is being spent on dominatrices.

Is that why he wants us to all learn maths to 18? Did he confuse dominatrices with matrices?

I'll take a symmetric dominatrix with distributive property please.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mourning Due posted:

If they tell you that you need one, tell them to gently caress off, and if they DO install one, check it regularly for the first week.
Hope you can get that sorted. loving demand whatever you can get.

I've still never been convinced they do any good outside of commerce and industry (where they will waste water to save a penny) or houses with like swimming pools or some poo poo.

All other residential properties they cost far more to install maintain and read when they were first fitted, and were linked to outbreaks of hepatitis and dysentery in low income areas in Bradford and Liverpool in the 90s. It's a functionally neoliberal solution to water conservation and can gently caress off.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Mebh posted:

Can you elaborate more? I can't find anything. I remember a bit at the end of one of his shows where he apparently bought a live owl from a wet market in China and then freed it but I don't remember it being particularly racist... I could be wrong though.

E: ah. Right. https://www.quora.com/Is-Bill-Baile...al-significance

Just hopping in to say I attended one of his shows, he did the owl bit and moved on leaving it sounding like an implausible story.

Then at the end he was like “bet you thought I made up the owl” and put up a bunch of pictures of him indeed trying to detape this poor owl. So that actually happened.

Also gave the current government and Tories in general a solid kicking during the first 20 minutes.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 8, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bill Bailey chat:

Ed (I don't know how long ago his Chinese thing was).

I went to one of his shows about 30 years ago and don't recall him being racist, that said... as an oldie, times have changed considerably in the last few decades and things I said and did in the 1980s/90s which were 'just bantz' (though that expression didn't exist at the time), I'm pretty ashamed of now eg in the office we used to tell 'gay jokes' which everyone laughed at including, as it turns out, a couple of guys who at the time were buried deep in the closet (and with whom I am still friends all these years later) but who must have been hurting inside. Back then, being 'out' in the construction industry was a big no-no and may even have been career-ending.
Pretty sure that some of our 'bantz' was probably unintentionally racist though I can't think of any specific examples right now.

We were much more focused on sexism at the time (at least in the various companies I and friends worked at - one friend was the only woman in an engineering firm and all the men had nudey calendars up and she asked them to take them down, but they all refused. So she took in a calendar of well-endowed nude males bought from one of those dodgy shops in Soho and hung it up. Then all the nudey calendars disappeared.)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1612029092664152065?s=20

Laura K doing her job? Odd to see but I thought this exchange was pretty onpoint.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

She doesn't want to gently caress Rishi

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1612029092664152065?s=20

Laura K doing her job? Odd to see but I thought this exchange was pretty onpoint.

Guy with £300 mil in the bank and an oligarch for a wife should be doing the job for free IMO.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1612068023396978691

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Dabir posted:

She doesn't want to gently caress Rishi

Rishi backstabbed the binbag full of custard that she did want to gently caress, so naturally she hates him