Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Professor Wayne posted:

Speaking of youtube bartenders, I just made this drink. Pretty sure it's the first whole egg drink I've ever had. I'm still trying to decide if I really like it, but it's definitely rich as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzmVLMzQjNo

Made demerara syrup just for this. It is very good and yeah rich and sweet, one is plenty.

I'm enjoying angostura bitters based drinks quite a bit lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Here's my cocktail list for our NYE party:

I've made everything before but the Dumpster Fire. Hope it doesn't suck.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Holy poo poo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m making two dumpster fires. Trip report coming

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Happy New Year everyone!

Tonight I made a Monte Cassino.

3/4 oz Booker's Bourbon (instead of rye)
3/4 oz Yellow Chartreuse
3/4 oz Benedictine
3/4 oz Lemon juice

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
We’re having whiskey highballs, Singapore slings and Morganthaler-spec amaretto sours here.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think I overdid the lemon, my chest ow

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
We made "old fashioneds"

Miso butter washed bourbon
China China
Orange peel

Buttery smooth, miso didn't come through, still good

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Crossposting some content because I'm not sure how much Cold War / Drinking crossover there is (should be more tbh).

Deeters posted:

I'm drinking some novelty booze and figured you Cold War nerds would appreciate it.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Back in the day (late 90s) my college alcoholics and I invented a drink called Nuclear Waste. To mix:
Take one bottle of 190 proof everclear. Drink the neck down (this is the hard step).
Pour in one package of green kool-aid and one package of lemon-lime gatorade mix.
Crack, shake, then cut open a green glow stick. Pour contents into bottle. Don't get too much broken glass in your booze.
Shake vigorously, chanting "nuclear waste! NUCLEAR WASTE!"

Consume and regret.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

We ended up not really going out cause of the crazy storm in the Bay Area, but I still made the sake cup I was planning on:

1 liter clear sake (start at ginjo and move up)
6 oz. white rhum agricole (Clement)
1 oz. J. Wray and Nephew
12 oz. green tea
3 oz. lime juice
3 oz. white sugar

Prepare and combine in the normal fashion, then serve over ice. A nice and easy drink for a celebration. I unfortunately bought 6 liters of sake and am now drowning in the stuff.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Tried to make my own coffee liqueur using a cold brew process, rich syrup, vodka and vanilla. Not great results. It’s a bit harsh tasting, and you don’t get a lot of finished product for the amount of input involved. I’ll probably stick with Mr. Black in the future

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
I opted for Wisconsin Old fashioneds all night long because I’d been working all week long
Happy new years everybody

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I wouldn’t use brewed coffee personally, just coffee beans and vanilla and then a bit of syrup. And start with a decent spirit if you didn’t already. You get out what you put in

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The Maestro posted:

I wouldn’t use brewed coffee personally, just coffee beans and vanilla and then a bit of syrup. And start with a decent spirit if you didn’t already. You get out what you put in

That’s what I meant by cold brew, I ground beans and let it infuse into the vodka. And yeah, I would get a better result if I used rum, especially an aged rum, but I didn’t have any available rn.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Tried to make my own coffee liqueur using a cold brew process, rich syrup, vodka and vanilla. Not great results. It’s a bit harsh tasting, and you don’t get a lot of finished product for the amount of input involved. I’ll probably stick with Mr. Black in the future

This isn't that different from my recipe. I'll share it and maybe you can try it yourself. The big difference is I use a rum base and add chocolate.

Dark rum, 1L (I use Plantation Original Dark)
Cocoa nibs/husks, 75g
Coffee beans, whole, 75g
Turbinado sugar, 250g
Cold brew concentrate, 2 cups (I combine 400g water with 100g finely ground coffee in a container for ~24hrs and strain)

Combine cocoa nibs/husks, coffee beans, and rum in a vacuum bag. Vacuum seal and infuse sous vide for two hours at 140F. Let sit overnight while cold brew concentrate brews. The next day, vigorously stir the sugar with the cold brew concentrate to dissolve, then add the strained infused rum.

This produces a rich, dark liqueur with a touch of bitterness, which I enjoy. Vanilla isn't necessary since the rum base brings a good bit of that flavor already, but half a bean would be nice if you want. If you don't have a vacuum sealer/immersion circulator setup you could do the infusion in a jar and shake it every so often. Might take a bit longer though.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Ah yea that makes sense. I like the idea of using a coffee syrup too. I bet yours came out bitter because you ground the beans. You really just need a light crushing, if any at all. Very easy to over extract.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

prayer group posted:

This isn't that different from my recipe. I'll share it and maybe you can try it yourself. The big difference is I use a rum base and add chocolate.

Dark rum, 1L (I use Plantation Original Dark)
Cocoa nibs/husks, 75g
Coffee beans, whole, 75g
Turbinado sugar, 250g
Cold brew concentrate, 2 cups (I combine 400g water with 100g finely ground coffee in a container for ~24hrs and strain)

Combine cocoa nibs/husks, coffee beans, and rum in a vacuum bag. Vacuum seal and infuse sous vide for two hours at 140F. Let sit overnight while cold brew concentrate brews. The next day, vigorously stir the sugar with the cold brew concentrate to dissolve, then add the strained infused rum.

This produces a rich, dark liqueur with a touch of bitterness, which I enjoy. Vanilla isn't necessary since the rum base brings a good bit of that flavor already, but half a bean would be nice if you want. If you don't have a vacuum sealer/immersion circulator setup you could do the infusion in a jar and shake it every so often. Might take a bit longer though.

Thanks for the writeup. Your process is (not surprisingly) refined in a few sensible ways over my impromptu idea. No reason to make syrup separately if you’re putting the concentrate in a sous vide, and expanding the volume of the finished product with regular cold brew is an interesting prospect because my way made like a single cup of liqueur by the end.

Edit: reading again, you don’t cook the sugar with the rest of it, but regardless, the way you’re going about it is a much gentler extraction process.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 2, 2023

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Made a fun cocktail for my partner, we'd just bought the awayuki strawberry gin, so was looking for fun ideas for that.

This is a photograph:
2.5 oz strawberry gin
1 oz lemon juice
.75 oz creme de cacao
.25 oz violette
2-4 barspoons of simple

Ends up very chocolate covered strawberry without being to heavy. The violette is there to support the strawberry floral without getting in the way.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

my kinda ape posted:

Is there a good like, bitters or something I can use to substitute expressing a lemon twist in a cocktail? I don’t have lemons on hand a lot of the time and even when I do it seems like a waste to peel one just for one or two cocktails if they don’t actually have lemon juice in them. Is there an oil I can put in an atomizer or a bitters I can use a drop or three of for the same effect?

I found food grade lemon essential oil on amazon. Viva Doria was the brand I chose. Needed to be moved to a better container for dashing, it's strong as hell.

Rye chat: I used to mix with Rittenhouse but switched to Wild Turkey 101 Rye. I liked it better straight head to head. And I can get it a great price. Old Overholt I respect is a classic but doesn't have enough character for me.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Scythe posted:

These are good. (Attaboy is in the former Milk & Honey space, owned and run by their old bartenders, if that means anything to you.)

If you’re into bitter dinks, Amor Y Amargo will certainly have several interesting things you haven’t tried before.

However, don't get Sother Teagues cocktail book, its extremely pretentious and most of the recipes call for some obscure poo poo that you're probably not going to have.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I do not understand why everyone is going crazy for the Bosca cheese slicer for peeling citrus. I got one and it worked fine one time and then after that it was like it was completely dull. An absolute nightmare to use. Maybe mine was a dud, I don’t know. I have no problem with my Oxo citrus peeler.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I mostly quit using my Bosca peeler, too. I originally bought it because my peel game was very bad. I was using normal peelers incorrectly by moving the peeler instead of the fruit. Now I don't use peelers like a complete dummy and only use the Bosca when I want a super thick orange peel for a boulevardier or something

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yeah I am not great at peeling but I bought a Bosca one after that discussion and it didn't really help much. Too wide and hard to control the depth.

I'll probably use it for cheese though at least :v:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Oxo Y peeler gang

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
There’s never a substitute for practice

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Oxo Y peeler gang

:same:

E: not same. this is the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-P...22-d605505c9d1e

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Yeah Oxo Y or a channel knife have never left me wanting. I wonder if they are wanting thicker peelings? I will say if you want to flame over a drink that requires a peel with more backbone than a Y peeler gives, typically I’ll cut a coin for that.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I've been using the bosca peeler behind the bar for weeks now and love it. It's not a straight replacement for Y peelers because some lemons (and basically all limes) have skins that's are too thin and you end up cutting into the flesh, but it's a great supplement. It gets big wide peels that look great.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a Corpse Reviver No. 3 using the Savoy recipe

.75 oz Hennessy Cognac
.75 oz Tempus Fugit Creme de Menthe
.75 oz Fernet Branca
1 dash Edgefield chocolate bitters

I think this would be a terrible drink if the ingredients weren't so good. Hennessy and Tempus Fugit is good mixing, the chocolate bitters also give it a slight something - not bitter, that's covered by Fernet, but the chocolate and mint are nice. Don't drink this if you just have bottom shelf CdM like DeKuyper's or a bad brandy.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I have a bosca cheese slicer. But I use it for cheese

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Tonight I made a Corpse Reviver No. 3 using the Savoy recipe

.75 oz Hennessy Cognac
.75 oz Tempus Fugit Creme de Menthe
.75 oz Fernet Branca
1 dash Edgefield chocolate bitters

I think this would be a terrible drink if the ingredients weren't so good. Hennessy and Tempus Fugit is good mixing, the chocolate bitters also give it a slight something - not bitter, that's covered by Fernet, but the chocolate and mint are nice. Don't drink this if you just have bottom shelf CdM like DeKuyper's or a bad brandy.

Just made this (except with Pierre Ferrand 1840 and Bitter Truth Chocolate Bitters) and it’s pretty good! Normally I can’t stand Fernet but it fits pretty well in here.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'm making some tonka bean syrup tonight. Any drink recommendations?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

+1 to that, I also just bought some tonka beans. How are you making the syrup?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

+1 to that, I also just bought some tonka beans. How are you making the syrup?

I followed this recipe: https://www.nonsensicalcocktails.com/syrups-mixers/tonka-bean-syrup

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2-3 grated beans

I've seen some recipes that call for it to seep for up to 24 hours, but I want to try it tonight. I'll probably bottle it with the grounds and just strain it as I make drinks.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Don't kill anyone: https://www.cocktailsafe.org/coumadin-coumarin.html

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The 2004 tolerable daily food intake (TDI) set by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) at 0.1mg/kg daily. For a fully grown adult to research this threshold, they would need to consume about 2400 plates of tonka bean flavoured desserts.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah you're never ever going to eat enough tonka bean to die. Lots of other stuff also has coumarin in it, like strawberries and cherries.

I don't think there's anything you're reasonably going to add to a cockail that's more toxic than the ethanol.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 7, 2023

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a vanilla old fashioned

1.5 oz of Jim Beam bourbon
1/3 oz of Portland Syrups Vanilla Rooibos
1 dash of Bitter Housewife Orange Bitters
3 dashes of Angostura Bitters
Orange peel expressed oil on top and Luxardo cherry garnish

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Low brow cocktail question for the group - if I make negronis and boulevardiers with stuff like tanqueray and bulleit rye, is it really a huge step up shelling out for luxardo cherries instead of just the grocery store Maraschinos?

When I'm making home cocktails my main goal is simplicity so even though I have a mixing glass and a shaker I usually just pour poo poo into a glass with a big cube and stir it around then drink it...

I usually bring out the fancier stuff when hosting, which, over the course of the pandemic, happens a lot less often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Buy them both and compare them. They’re very different animals

The bright red maraschinos are like candy, at home on a sundae. Luxardos are firm, tart, almost chewy. Feels a lot more like something you’d put in whiskey.