Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DKII posted:

Only the "2" on the signpost will do, here. The signpost here shows the bottom half of a "2", and the gate itself has a backwards "2" on it, but for some reason clicking on the gate just produces a generic failure.

You mean the "S" for STUDIO on the gate? If you look under the arm of the Samurai you can even see part of the T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017
It's true that in any real court, this would be your win and that's that, it's not your job to Perry Mason your way into finding the culprit. But in a game it's pretty unsatisfying! I remember in KOTOR 2 you have to investigate a case to prove an ally innocent and it ends just like that. Your dude is innocent. Fin. You never learn who did it and it's kind of a letdown, so I'm okay with the game doing this for the sake of drama

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

argosaxelcaos posted:

It's true that in any real court, this would be your win and that's that, it's not your job to Perry Mason your way into finding the culprit. But in a game it's pretty unsatisfying! I remember in KOTOR 2 you have to investigate a case to prove an ally innocent and it ends just like that. Your dude is innocent. Fin. You never learn who did it and it's kind of a letdown, so I'm okay with the game doing this for the sake of drama

That's actually a fun one, because you can dig deeper and find out he did it. It creates a moral quandary between what is right in the immediate moment versus possibly sabotaging the war effort.

E: you are absolutely right ::doh:

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 7, 2023

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017

FoolyCharged posted:

That's actually a fun one, because you can dig deeper and find out he did it. It creates a moral quandary between what is right in the immediate moment versus possibly sabotaging the war effort.

No, that's the one in KOTOR 1, where it's actually fun and makes you think and choose about being good or gently caressing over your side's war effort.

The one I was talking about was the one about Mandalore's sketchy rear end doctor friend in Onderon. KOTOR 2. You prove that he couldn't have done it and bam, you're done.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

achtungnight posted:

Helping you reach a new page. Not much to say specifically though. Sorry.

I wish the forums had some way of starting a reply collapsed, and you could unfold it to make it start loading images, specifically for screenshot LPs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

This comes up every so often and the general advice is "filter by the OP's posts and set to one per page". Either that or "put OP on ignore so you have to click on their posts to see them in a new tab", but the latter seems kind of rude.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

You mean the "S" for STUDIO on the gate? If you look under the arm of the Samurai you can even see part of the T.

:stare:

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
I've joined this late, but holy hell is it great to follow someone going in blind. Your reactions have been wonderful so far, OP. Can't wait to see you hit the rest of the game.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Carbon dioxide posted:

How many GBA/DS players got their mind blown when they realized the sky in the employee area wasn't a ceiling painted blue?
I know I was one. This particular mistake is possible only on low resolution screens.

what the gently caress that was an S and not a reverse 2? :psyduck:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Omobono posted:

How many GBA/DS players got their mind blown when they realized the sky in the employee area wasn't a ceiling painted blue?
I know I was one. This particular mistake is possible only on low resolution screens.

what the gently caress that was an S and not a reverse 2? :psyduck:
Even playing on DS I figured the Employee Area was outside, though as much through the inference of there being a trailer there as through conveyance via the graphics present in the game.

Similarly, I never noticed the "T" on the gate, but I did figure the letter on there was an "S" and not a "2".

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

DKII posted:

Look at that, the game is basically admitting we've already done enough to prove our client is "not guilty." Barring another frame job later today, anyway. I bet he still gets declared guilty if we screw up enough in the next day of trial tomorrow, though!

Cody didn't say when he took the Studio 2 picture, so Hammer could've gone from Studio 2 to Studio 1 before the path got blocked and then run into Powers out of costume. No one saw Powers after lunch so he could've gone to the studios before the camera got turned on (which is what they thought Hammer did). Edgeworth still has a large group of people at the meeting saying the murder didn't occur there. Since that's still a possibility we get another day, not the win. The game really should've had Edgeworth say all that though.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I mean, the judge just accepted an empty pill jar into evidence that the defense lawyer claims he found at the crime scene, we're beyond any sense of reality anyway.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

whitehelm posted:

Cody didn't say when he took the Studio 2 picture, so Hammer could've gone from Studio 2 to Studio 1 before the path got blocked and then run into Powers out of costume. No one saw Powers after lunch so he could've gone to the studios before the camera got turned on (which is what they thought Hammer did). Edgeworth still has a large group of people at the meeting saying the murder didn't occur there. Since that's still a possibility we get another day, not the win. The game really should've had Edgeworth say all that though.

The camera probably has a time stamp and photo history they can look at. Did Cody empty the trash of his deleted photos? Edgeworth may also be concerned Phoenix has tripped up all his witnesses thus far and need time to come up with a new trick like an updated autopsy or whatever.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

achtungnight posted:

The camera probably has a time stamp and photo history they can look at. Did Cody empty the trash of his deleted photos? Edgeworth may also be concerned Phoenix has tripped up all his witnesses thus far and need time to come up with a new trick like an updated autopsy or whatever.

I feel like EXIF data might be a bit beyond this game...then again the last case had a cell phone call that not only was recorded on said cell phone, but included timestamps.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Omobono posted:

Wait, the Employee Area is OUTSIDE?! :psyduck:

I didn't realize that until literally just now.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Omobono posted:

I never knew people thought it wasn't an outside area.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

I never knew people thought it wasn't an outside area.

I know right? It's obviously outside.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Omobono posted:

oh gently caress

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I was waiting to see how many people freaked out the "ceiling" in this thread!

It seems a lot more obvious with the updated graphics, though.

Oh and while I'm here, thanks for the LP, DKII. It's so great to see a blind playthrough so I'm also in the "shutting up to not spoil anything" camp.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Bifauxnen posted:

I was waiting to see how many people freaked out the "ceiling" in this thread!

I've played the games through like four times :stare:

Including like twice on the Switch :catstare:

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Important piece of art from a previous LP by HelloWinter regarding this discovery:

Luca_024
Dec 26, 2022
This encapsules the feeling so well, I'm stunned to know such an outstanding work of art exists.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 65: Episode 3, Day 3, Investigation: Suspicions Rising

Music: Silence

That was a close one, huh, Mia?

Sound: Realization

Maya's back! She's really a better foil for investigations anyway.

?

Sound: Light Bulb

So, what happened?

You do?

Now all I need is a motive... and proof.

Wow! Good going, Nick!

Oh, we're going to formalize this three-day-limit thing.

"Initial trial"...? What's that?

That's the new court system they introduced two or three years ago.

Forget serving justice by getting more courtrooms/judges/prosecutors, let's just rush everything!

So, under that system, trials have to end in three days?

Yeah, pretty much.

Well, we've no time to waste!

Music: Maya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters Theme

So who's the killer then? We still looking at the producer, Dee Vasquez? I suppose it could still be the director, Sal Manella? Or one of the studio bigwigs we haven't met?

Still nothing new to see by examining our own office, so let's chat with Maya instead.

I don't get it, Maya.

Well, I guess that answers the question of if Maya knows what happens while Mia's driving. Or maybe she just wasn't paying attention.

Yeah!

B-but Mr. Hammer was the victim, Nick!

Maya handles the revelation a lot better than I did.

That's what we have to find out.

Guess we should fill her in on the rest of what happened today.

What happened with the director's testimony?

Huh...

Which means that the killer has to be one of them!

Phoenix you suck at explaining things.

Because the real scene of the crime was Studio Two... where that trailer is!

Sound: Damage 2

Or maybe Phoenix was just trying to set up that reaction from Maya.

(Hmm... was Maya always this excitable?)

Well, have you noticed anything that might help us?

Mia clearly knows what's going on already whenever she shows up. I guess being a free-floating spirit has its advantages? Or Maya's just so busy channeling Mia that she can't pay attention to anything else?

So, no. I haven't noticed anything.

Right...

I'm not sure how he can help at this point, but sure, why not?

(WP... Powers... right.)

We've collected some new evidence since Maya was last around. Plus she likes teasing us about our badge.

Nothing to say about it this time, though!

This photo has a bit more context to it now, but the description is still the same.

(Who would have thought that it was Jack Hammer inside!)

...?

I like how Maya is just watching Phoenix stare intently at the photo here.

We didn't learn anything new about the murder weapon today, but Maya is still into it...

I wish I had my own Samurai Spear!

Me!? Why me!?

It's probably not personal, you just happen to be the one nearby most of the time!

We didn't get the journal until after Mia had shown up, so Maya hasn't seen it before.

Wow! Impressive!

These are mostly taken at those PR shows they do at stores and fairs...

I'm pretty sure it's not even Will Powers inside that suit.

Maya's the real #1 fan, confirmed. Or maybe just a snob.

He's still a child, I suppose...

Um, yeah, whatever you say.

We got the camera itself at the start of the trial this morning.

This is Cody's--

Sound: Objection

I'm impressed a kid like him would have something this expensive.

Kids these days!
Sound: Whack

Now who's acting like the old fogey Maya? Hmph.

Without any better ideas, I suppose we'll follow Maya's suggestion and check in with our client.

Oh... thanks.

I still think WP had a couple sprites cut for space. There's no tissue-holding idle sprite so this line looks a bit odd.

And could you wipe that grin off your face?

Let's make it count!

Yes...

Though there's not really anything I can do to help.

Please... this is no laughing matter.

Music: Detention Center - Jailer's Elegy

I do like having Maya back for this chapter.

Now that we've met the producer and the director, maybe Will will finally have some more to say about them.

Could you tell me more about Ms. Vasquez?

Oh... the producer?

A genius...?

She's been at Global Studios for five years now.

Why is that?

Ever since she came on board, we've had nothing but hits.

Oh, and...

And... what?

N-nothing. Forget it.

Starting to get very suspicious about Ms. Vasquez...

Can you tell me anything about Mr. Manella?

But something in his work caught Vasquez's eye.

She brought the Steel Samurai idea to him.

Now everyone knows the name Sal Manella.

Whenever she says "jump!" he asks "how high?" and all that.

Fat-shaming aside, it's interesting that Mr. Manella was a nobody until Ms. Vasquez came along making GBS threads out hits left and right.

He was a big star back in the day, right?

But then he just dropped off the face of the Earth.

Oh...

But he just stopped taking on big roles.

That's when he began appearing in little productions at Global...

I was really looking forward to a sequel to "Samurai Summer."

He just gave up being a star five years ago.

Actually, now that I think about it...

(Five years ago...?)

The game has been hinting at these topics the last couple of days, but these conversations are really heavily pointing to something happening five years ago that is extremely relevant to the murder. Five years ago, Ms. Vasquez shows up out of nowhere, rescues a failing studio, uplifts a nobody director who won't question her on anything, and somehow forces a star into minor villain roles. And then that star ends up dead....

Music: Detention Center - Jailer's Elegy

Will doesn't have a lot to say about our evidence, but he is interested in our new theory on this photo.

Here's that picture again.

He's the only one it could have been.

But why would he...?

Yeah! Why?

*sigh* Gimme about three more years.

(Look at us, the two novices.)

While Mr. Powers will react to the spear again, it's just the same conversation as last time. However, he hasn't seen this photo album yet!

Have you seen this, Mr. Powers?

W-what's that!?

These are the Steel Samurais that appear at live shows.

A fanboy collected all these pictures himself.

Seeing things like this really makes me think...

We're not going to solve this case until we get to the studio, so let's head over there now.

You know, Ms. Oldbag has probably been around forever, maybe she can let us in on some of the gossip from five years ago.

You know, this place is really... peaceful, like this.

Nick?

Y-yeah?

:shudder:

Whew! She's alive!

Music: Investigation - Opening

The old bag seems kind of tightly wound, but I guess we have to risk talking to her anyway.

Um, I was wondering about Dee Vasquez, the producer.

So she always gets her way.

(She seems bitter...)

Do you... not like the producer?

Not as blatant with the hints as WP's conversations, but still clearly something off with the producer.

Can I ask you about Sal Manella, the director?

That doesn't make any sense, does it, Nick?

Er... No, no it doesn't, Maya.

...Not touching that one.

About Mr. Hammer...

Arrgh!

Whoa! We found a sore spot!

Poor old Hammer! You'd drag his star down from the sky and stomp on it!

Calling him a criminal! A thief!

Sound: Super Shock

(Uh oh, she's really pissed this time!)

Interesting word choice by the translators there; I don't remember seeing a mild vulgarity like that before.

Right, the old lady isn't done yelling at us yet.

Why would he steal Powers's costume so he could sneak by me?

Now that we've thoroughly upset her again, let's see what she has to say about our precious evidence.

Um, Ms. Oldbag? What do you think of this?

Hmm, nothing there.

I know, let's bring up her favorite topic again!

Um, Ms. Oldbag?

And you're claiming that's poor old Hammer in there!?

No, you really didn't.

Hmm, two choices here. We could head for studio two, or poke around the employee area and Will's dressing room again. Any preferences?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Check Studio 2 before they destroy evidence!

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017
Check Will's room just in case

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 66: Episode 3, Day 3, Investigation: More Blackmail

Close vote this time. We know Studio Two is really the crime scene, now, so let's head over there right away.

Mr. Hammer put on the Steel Samurai costume.

Then he left from here to go to Studio Two...?

Right.

But why?

Now that's interesting. The gate here says "STUDIO 1". But the one at the Studio 2 entrance didn't. I guess the photo makes a little more sense now; maybe the background just lost that detail somehow. Or more conspiracy-like, maybe someone painted it over!

Studio Two is down that way.

Studio Two... the real scene of the crime.

Well...

Actually, it's a long story, I'll you another time.

The entrance to Studio One.

This is the studio where they found Jack Hammer's body.

Anyway, onto the main event.

I don't normally show the scene cards slowly typing out their text, but the producer's idle animation is too good to ignore.

Hello?

H!

E!

L!

L!

O!
Sound: Stab 2

(That's all she had to say, apparently...)

That gate doesn't say "STUDIO" on it. That's going to bother me the rest of this episode. I know the description of this place says "Outside Studio Two", but maybe we're really inside the gate?

There's a big "2" painted here.

Something still isn't lining up here. That picture wasn't taken from this location. It must be from the other side of that gate. Which must be the outside, if it matches the Studio One gate. I'm probably over-thinking this.

And to think, if he hadn't brought that photograph in...

Don't get all teary eyed yet.

This is where Sal Manella and Dee Vasquez ate.

There's nothing left on the plates.

Something wrong?

Something about this just feels... odd, you know?

Can't say that I do...

The bones are missing... were they pointing to Hammer's presence here somehow? We should test those glasses.

I'm not expecting much here, to be honest.

Shh.

?

I'm watching the clouds.

I'm not interested in talking to you.

(Oh dear...)

Umm... Mr. Powers wasn't the killer!

I think I'm tired of the Steel Samurai.

You... you did it!

My Fey blood speaks to me! I know it! I know it!
Sound: Drama Pound

(Oh dear...)

The pun on her last name makes that sentence read very differently.

Um, I was wondering if you could tell me about Mr. Manella?

If you must talk about that man...

By yourselves?

(Oh, oh dear...)

Triple bust.

I think we're going to have to show her something to get her to talk. I'm just not sure we have it yet.

(She's not even looking.)

Okay. Hey, you look.

Well, our badge wasn't it. Neither was anything else we currently have.

If Studio Two is the scene of the crime, we haven't seen any evidence of it yet. Was it in the trailer? Out where they had lunch? Somewhere else?

Funny, it still seems pretty messy in here.

I guess she was still on a high from getting that rare card she needed.

Nothing actually new to see here. I guess we need to head for the Employee Area after all. Maybe we can find some more evidence of Mr. Powers getting drugged and having his costume stolen there.

Maya the hero is still in jail and the villain is in the morgue somewhere. What did you expect them to be filming? Does this studio have other shows? Do you even care about them?

I did want to see them filming... just one time.

This trial will be over and done by tomorrow. You can come see them film later.

I guess...

Uh huh.

I wonder if there're any other clues lying around.

Uhhhh....

Music: Investigation - Core

Yikes! Gumshoe is on the warpath! Looks like Edgeworth outsourced his homework.

Eeek!

Or...maybe not. He's still a teddy bear. And we're on the other side of the area now for some reason.

Oh, sorry, pal.

Didn't mean to frighten you.

I suppose it's the actor in me...

("Dramatique" indeed...)

Ahem.

Wait, are you looking for sleeping pills?

Yeah, pal. Traces thereof.

Music: Dick Gumshoe - Detective Gumshoe, Pal

We're just going to ignore that tantalizing hook and look around ourselves.

Despite what you may think, the plates don't offer any new dialogue. This drain, however...

That grate's still lying here.

They know if they fixed it I'd just kick it off again.

That poor assistant...

Let's cut right to the chase.

So you're looking for traces of the sleeping pills... how?

But I have the capabilities to make a cursory examination right here!

Our science guy gave me some testing solution.

I'm not sure any such testing agent really exists, but it at least sounds plausible to most people.

Wow! Neat!

Well, Detective Gumshoe? What are you waiting for?

Looks like it.

Sound: Select Jingle

This one stinks of a setup. What are the chances Edgeworth doctors up a report saying that the "thorough examination" back at the precinct had the opposite result?

Interesting - that conversation topic disappears entirely, rather than sticking around with a check mark. I guess we can't keep testing that plate over and over.

How goes your investigation?

To tell the truth, it's a real mess, pal.

And some people think we should switch suspects!

What do you think, Detective Gumshoe?

Well, pal, I hate to admit it...

Wow, he can be reasonable!

I feel kind of bad for Mr. Edgeworth, though.

Speaking of dramatic, let's talk about King Smug now.

How is Edgeworth doing, anyway?

Mr. Edgeworth is outta control!

Whoa...

Talk about burns, pal!

Yeah, crushing paper cups...

(Cups... bottles...?)

Phoenix has a moment of word association...

Oh, the bottle of sleeping pills?

Well, I got some good news for you about that.

Looking good for our Hammer-drugged-Powers theory then!

So that means...

(So I was right!)

We get the bottle back, with a useful description update.

Time to run all our evidence through the poor detective.

Hey we know plenty about our own badge!

Anyway, Gumshoe will only talk about the two things he just gave us.

It's looking like Will Powers was drugged...

You're being very... free with your information today, Detective.

Well... don't go telling anyone this, pal.

...!

Most lawyers would've given up after that director's testimony.

Aww, thanks, pal!

Detective, about that bottle...

I don't care if this animation has shown up three times now and it's partially blocked by that pill bottle, I'm showing it anyway. :allears:

Oh, that? Talk about embarrassing, pal!

Oh, good point. Don't feel too bad, we missed it the first time, too!

Don't know how I can apologize to Mr. Edgeworth.

Oh, heh heh. *blush*

Well, that was a productive encounter. Let's see what/who we can find in the dressing room.

Penny interrupts our location intro card.

What are you doing here?

I guess WP won't be using it anymore, so...

But WP's innocent!

Yes, and I'm really grateful for all you've done.

But...

Music: Investigation - Opening

We've been interacting with Penny a lot more than I expected when we first met her. She hinted at some gossip about Hammer earlier, maybe we can get her to reveal a little more now.

Looks like someone was sleeping here.

Judging by the static state of the studio, Penny is really bad at cleaning.

There's a box for snacks on the table. They must give these to the employees.

Hmm. It's completely empty.

The continuously deteriorating state of the snack box amuses me.

It's Powers's bag.

I put all of WP's personal belongings in there.

I'm sure he'll come, yes.

There's an array of cosmetics here.

This is the wig used in "Samurai Boogey-Woogey."

Thanks to you...

They always have mirrors like this in dressing rooms.

I always check my hairdo when I look in a mirror.

Did the shocking revelation earlier today frizz out your hair Phoenix?

All right, enough messing around. Penny doesn't have any more to say about our chief suspects, but we can still try and get some more gossip out of her.

I was wondering if I could ask you about Mr. Hammer...

Yes?

On the day of the murder, he went to Studio Two.

He stole the Steel Samurai costume, too!

What!?
Sound: Stab

Oh...

The rumor?

Music: Suspense

She had some dirt on him... He'd do anything she said, apparently.

Some "dirt"?

Seems like we have another blackmailer on our hands.

Dirt. You know, bad stuff.

About five years ago, they were filming a movie starring Mr. Hammer.

Right when Ms. Vasquez showed up on the scene...

Some sort of accident happened during filming.

After that, they never used Studio Two again.

They left the film set the way it was, too.

Maybe we've unlocked the ability to poke around Studio Two some more here.

There's a new topic, but let's go in order here and ask about Maya's top concern.

I know it's a shock, but nothing can be done to save it now.

No... no!

They're not going to make kids' shows anymore.

I guess the invisible assistant is privy to all the executive gossip. Kind of an odd direction for the studio take; kill your star villain, frame your star hero, and use the chaos to pivot away from kids' shows? There has to be something else to it.

I don't know.

It's sad, but that's what Global Studios decided.

Hmm let's pull on that thread some more.

Why aren't they going to make kids' shows anymore?

I guess a bunch of media sensationalist stories about your hero killing your villain in real life would be hard to come back from?

They want to forget all this ever happened.

They want it quiet, understand?

H-how can they just do that!

It's okay. I'm sure the kids will be fine.

They'll find a new hero to follow.

No, that can't be true!

I'm with Maya. I'm still not over 90's animated Spiderman ending after just five years. They had just opened up the multiverse and he hadn't found Mary Jane yet! Uh, anyway...

N-Nick! Say something!

Umm... yeah.

Weird time to present something, but all right game, I'm in.

This thing is an actual testament to a crazy fanboy's love for the show.

And this is...?

A fan collected all of these photographs.

The kids love the Steel Samurai!

I would think you would understand that better than anyone.

She is obsessed with those trading cards.

quote:

We could also show her our badge, or anything else we have...

What's this?

This is why you can't stop the Steel Samurai.

I'm sorry... I don't understand.

Neither do I, Nick.

F-funny that. I don't either! (Oops. Let's try that again.)

We're stuck in a loop until we get this one right.

You're right...

Okay!

Well, for starters...

You can tell me something.

Tell me about this accident five years ago.

...Wasn't there another conversation topic about that? I guess it would have been locked unless we got through this one first?

Okay!

Right, give us the details, lady!

Could you tell us what happened five years ago?

Well, I can tell you what I've heard.

S-someone died!?

It was an accident, of course!

Anyway...

Was this a "Redd White" style accident?

And that's the "dirt" she had on Mr. Hammer?

But, it was an accident, right? Why didn't they just make it public?

Well, you know Mr. Hammer was a big star back then.

The same career that they subsequently buried in kids' show villain roles? I'm not buying it.

I see...

She was here at the studios back then, you know.

Thanks. We'll try asking her.

(If she'll talk...)

quote:

As expected, this conversation goes differently if we haven't shown her the album yet.

An accident five years ago?

Yes, in Studio Two.

That trailer there was part of the film set.

Could you tell us what happened?

S-sorry.

I don't think I can.

They really don't want us to talk about it.

Let's move on to showing our badge (and maybe other evidence).

I'm sorry...

I'm not sure what to make of that.

Onto things that get a meaningful reaction now.

So this photo was Mr. Hammer all along?

It seems that way.

Uh, probably related to everything else you just told us? Just a guess.

We can also show her the album again.

Wow... wow!

Kids love the Steel Samurai.

They do, don't they?

Showing Penny the album here doesn't unlock anything or bypass the need to present it in the earlier conversation.

For some reason Penny has something to say about this pill bottle.

What's that?

An empty bottle of sleeping pills.

Now I'm really confused!

That seems like a good note to end on. I suppose next time we'll have to go talk to Ms. Oldbag again!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I don't feel invested enough in the Steel Samurai to care that it's ending- sorry, Maya. I do like how she's convinced Vasquez is the killer just because Vasquez wants to cancel the show. Now how do we prove that in court?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Judging by the state of the studios, Penny is almost certainly an underpaid, if not unpaid, intern. She does as much cleaning as she's paid to do, and I respect that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Poor Penny...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Judging by the state of the studios, Penny is almost certainly an underpaid, if not unpaid, intern. She does as much cleaning as she's paid to do, and I respect that.
See, I just assume "intern" and "under-/unpaid" go together like "corpos" and "wage theft".

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Commander Keene posted:

See, I just assume "intern" and "under-/unpaid" go together like "corpos" and "wage theft".

Considering her name is Penny Nichols, you can imagine how much they are paying her.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
Missed opportunity here for "Nicole Diamond" :dadjoke:

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 67: Episode 3, Day 3, Investigation: Murder at Studio Two

We're off to ask Oldbag about what happened five years ago. When her idol fell from grace. This'll go great.

If you like the place so much, why don't you take over for me?

E-everybody's doing their darnedest to forget Hammer.

Hammer! It's all due to Hammer!

Maybe we should keep a safe distance?

Let's start off with our fresh new evidence!

Sorry...

Fair enough. She has that reaction to all our evidence now.

I also tried showing our new evidence to everyone else I could find, and nobody cared. So I guess we're just here to talk.

Umm...

I wanted to ask you about five years ago...

!

I, uh... huh?

Nichols!

N-nickels?

Phoenix it's been like five seconds, keep your name-pun-people straight.

O-oh, right.

Anyway, we heard about the accident.

It was during filming with Jack Hammer...

Wh-whippersnappers!

I suppose you think this is fun!?

N-no, I'm just doing my job to protect Mr. Powers...
Sound: Stab

You expect me to believe that rubbish!?

Or do you have some kind of proof?

Thanks to Gumshoe, we do have proof!

I'm sorry Ms. Oldbag, but I do have proof.

quote:

You can actually trigger this conversation by just showing Penny the album in her talks, bypassing Gumshoe. But then you won't have the proof. If we admit it here...

Proof? Well... no.

See! See!?

I see how you work! Anything that doesn't fit, you just blame on the dead!

Well... well... Just butt out, lawyer-boy!

(She knows something!)

(But how am I going to get her to talk...?)

Once we do have proof, we have to go back through the whole conversation again to get back to that prompt (including Phoenix not remembering who Penny is), but otherwise don't miss out on anything.

The only hard part about this choice is whether to use the plate or the bottle. One proves Powers was drugged but not by whom, the other proves Hammer had the pills but not what he did with them. Maybe both will work here?

Mr. Powers ate a t-bone steak for lunch, correct?

W-well... yes. So?

There are traces of sleeping pill powder on the plate!

Mmmph? Hah!

I-I bet Powers put it in there himself!

Oh, we're just going to have to use both pieces of evidence here, aren't we?

Wouldn't Powers just take the pills directly in that case, rather than drugging his own food?

Whatever, let's just use the bottle now.

This bottle contained sleeping pills.

quote:

You can actually present the bottle and the plate in the opposite order, and it still works:

Here's my proof.

What? What's a little empty bottle supposed to prove?

It's a bottle of sleeping pills.

With Mr. Hammer's fingerprints on it...

Wh-what does that prove?

I... I'm sure old Hammer had some sleepless nights!

Where's your proof that he used those pills on Powers?

Here's where we present the plate...

Mr. Powers ate a t-bone steak for lunch, correct?

W-well... yes. So?

This is the plate that he used to eat that steak.

There are traces of sleeping pill powder on the plate!

quote:

Presenting anything else, at either prompt, just sends us back to the beginning again.

Hmph! What's that supposed to prove!?

That means nothing to me!

Nick... I'm kinda having trouble figuring that one out too.

(Hmm... wrong evidence?)

(But I know Oldbag knows something!)

(I have to get her to talk!)

This route is also how you get back to investigating if you bluff about having proof and have nothing to back it up.

...!

I see.

Poor, poor Hammer.

I think calm Oldbag scares me more than angry Oldbag.

Music: Recollection ~ Light and Shadow of the Film Studio

Wow, a new track! It's been awhile. Guess we are close to wrapping up here.

I'm tired, see... Tired of holding it all in.

Ms. Oldbag...

What's worse, a paparazzi took a photo of it.

That photo, well, it caused quite a stir.

She has ties to the mafia...

She silenced that paparazzi.

That was the beginning.

I see...!

But, you have to understand...

Poor old Hammer never meant any harm to anyone!

Ms. Oldbag...

Hold on a minute.

Poor Ms. Oldbag...

...? A photograph?

...I guess that fence outside the trailer at Studio Two really is dangerous.

W-wait a second!

This is the picture.

Is... this the trailer in Studio Two?

With a tennis racket, apparently. Those samurai just use whatever's handy I guess.

He pushed the other actor, and the man fell onto the flowerbox fence.

B-but how did you get this?

I understand...

...This is going to end just like last episode, isn't it? We take our incriminating evidence about the past straight to the killer and get our butts kicked?

Ms. Oldbag has a little more to say if you show her the photo.

Poor old Hammer. He was a big star. The biggest.

He wanted to hide it. He didn't want anyone to know.

Then Vasquez wouldn't have gotten her claws into him!

This photo is pretty interesting, let's see what the others have to say about it. I'll start with Gumshoe.

He's probably thinking about what to do in tomorrow's trial.

I bet Edgeworth is pretty angry with him.

He had to go do those more detailed tests on the plate back at the station, anyway.

Let's try Penny then.

That stuff about Mr. Hammer must have come as a shock to her.

No luck here, either. Maya and Will are still at their respective locations for questioning, but don't have anything to say to us.

We can poke at a couple things for some different dialogue, though.

Looks like someone was sleeping here.

I'm not sure being drugged counts as taking a "nap"...

Mr. Powers's bag.

Soon, soon.

That seems to be all I can find. Off to Studio Two!

Before we confront Ms. Vasquez, did you notice that one of the spikes on this fence is bent? That's the one the guy landed on five years ago, I guess? They didn't bother to straighten it out, or replace the fence entirely? Effective foreshadowing, anyway.

Just a quick refresher on what Phoenix says when examining that fence. This line hasn't changed since the first time we could access Studio Two. Actually, it has changed slightly; the typo is gone somehow (yesterday, it said "Don't get to close").

Anyway, our only way to continue is to confront Ms. Vasquez with the photo of the accident five years ago.

At first, it looks like she's ignoring us, like she did for all our other evidence. But then...

Where.

Wh-what?

I, well...

Oldbag.

O-Old...?

Phoenix seems a little off-balance this afternoon.

Right... anyway...

Ms. Vasquez.

You hid this incident from the press, didn't you?

And you used it to control Mr. Hammer!

The... huh?

Your conversation interests me.

Nick. She went inside the trailer.

Just in case we somehow forgot what the trailer was, the game pans us over to it. Also showing us the fence with the bent spike again. Are we going to be the fence's next victim here?

I dislike it when the game forces me to do stupid things. I feel like taking the photo to Gumshoe (or just going home and waiting for court tomorrow, even) would be a better idea here. Oh well, let's go into the murder trailer.

Without giving too much away, here's a video of the following scene if you'd rather watch it like that.

Well then, what was that you were talking about?

Ms. Vasquez.

You were using that accident!

That's why he was doing kids' shows for petty change!

Hmph...

Well, that's what it was, wasn't it!

I mean, sure, it was an accident...

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep using his fame to sell your movies and just pay him peanuts for it? I don't get the whole exiling him to a kids' show villain angle.

Oh...?

Mr. Hammer's career went sour of its own accord.

B-but!

And to think it was just an accident...!

What is this all about?

Oh, new sprite, we're making progress. I'm not sure it's the good kind, though.

What do you mean?

Must I spell everything out for you?

Eh, maybe Hammer pushed the guy, but there's no way he planned for him to flip around and impale himself on the spiked fence.

...!

No...

No way!

Now that's a mean look.

Wh-where's your proof! Can you prove it!?

Hmph!

Just think!

And I ran him hard, believe you me!

Oh. Well, she was a big fan of Hammer's, you see.

She wrenched it out of his hands, she did. Gave him a few bruises, too.

(...)

(So that's why she had the photo...)

She's an old fool.

But he didn't.

The only copy of that photo is the one you hold.

W-what? This is valuable evidence!

Oh. She's been stalling us until her mafia goons could show up.

U-umm...

Phoenix I'm going to put down that dumb question to the shock and agree to ignore it.

Professionals.

They're good at erasing... various things.

Wh-what!?

The trial ends tomorrow?

How unfortunate.

Tell me why.

This is Mr. Hammer's "dirt"... no?

Why should Dee Vasquez care about it at all?

I think I prefer Redd White throwing us in jail to this scenario.

So long, friends.

Boys, erase away.

Sound: Guilty

:mildpanic:

:suspense:

Oh thank god. Gumshoe to the rescue!

Music: Pressing Pursuit - Cornered

I don't care how dopey you are, you're my best friend for life right now.

Dee Vasquez!

Hmph.

Not bad. ...

Very well.

Frankly, I'm much more comfortable battling in that arena.

I'll be looking forward to it.

I'm just going to watch this guy breathe for a minute while I catch my own breath.

Music: Dick Gumshoe - Detective Gumshoe, Pal

H-hey, you okay, pal?

Sorry I was a little late with my entrance.

Dude I could kiss you right now, save the apologies.

Detective Gumshoe...

I was really scared...

I feel like words and portraits are insufficient for the emotions of this scene, even while playing the game rather than reading this LP, but here's another link to the video so you can experience it a little more directly if you prefer.

Detective Gumshoe?

There's my big dope.

Okay. I've got one more job to do today.

And he's gone.

Well, Nick.

(And who's at the bottom...?)

(Dee Vasquez!)

Music: Jingle - It Can't End Here

We've reached the end of Day 3. Tomorrow - the final day! (Literally, the save file says "Final Day - Trial" instead of Day 4.)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Good nuance here. Even Oldbag (and she's Oldbag) gets to help.

Meanwhile Gumshoe establishes himself as the mythological Good Cop and the biggest cuddliest teddy bear 'round these parts.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
One of these days, Phoenix will learn only to accuse people of murder in the saftey of the courtroom.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

God, I love that sprite for the mafia goons. You can tell they're the sort of goofballs that belong in this universe just from looking at them. My favorite is popped collar guy with the hat trying to do a dramatic head tilt.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

mr_stibbons posted:

One of these days, Phoenix will learn only to accuse people of murder in the safety of the courtroom.

I dunno when that'll be, though. So far he's, what, 0 for 2?

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this is when the fandom fell in love with Gumshoe. I could be wrong of course, but yeah, definitely one of Gumshoe's best moments.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

ChaosStar0 posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this is when the fandom fell in love with Gumshoe. I could be wrong of course, but yeah, definitely one of Gumshoe's best moments.

I know it's the moment I fell for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

DKII posted:

Now that's a mean look.

...but she IS sweating. She's nervous.

And I would say Gumshoe is a himbo Columbo.

Colhimbo.