Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
I want to smoke during a convo, but when i click the right hand button, it doesn't do anything. The icon lights up and all but no int, no nicotine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Khizan posted:

The game is extremely text heavy and all the text is displayed in a narrow column on the right hand side of the screen. I highly suspect that playing it in handheld mode would suck pretty hard because of that.

i played through it on Steam Deck and it was very good

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It is *painful* reading about this game that the lead creators were forced out by an investor. For such an on-the-surface depressing game and experience, you can tell how much love went into building the world, the characters, the art. Reading the art book (or well, a pdf of it. Who has 250 to spare for just a book) it's clear where that all came from and how much more they had to give within this world.

I'm sure Robert and gang will keep making poo poo, but that they might be locked out of doing so with a world they developed since they were 15, and is clearly so close to their hearts just sucks rear end. Particularly due to their essays in the book talking about how excited they were to bring us to Jamrock and the other places. There was so much more to explore here and we may never get real sequels or see any of it because the creators are locked out of the intellectual property.

Might still check out the sequel, given they presumably did some work on before getting ax'd, but sincerely hope every property and venture in this universe fails and fails hard until they bring em' back.

This game is a refreshing masterpiece.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rusty Rickshaw posted:

I want to smoke during a convo, but when i click the right hand button, it doesn't do anything. The icon lights up and all but no int, no nicotine

are your cigarettes equipped in your right hand?

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Rusty Rickshaw posted:

I had this strange glitch where I couldn’t smoke/drink if I clicked the button directly, but I could if I clicked just below the button. Try clicking all around the button and see if it helps.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Disco Elysium 2 needs a dedicated cry button
It is a wonderful day in Jamrock and you are a horrible cop.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Yeah on my PC I gotta click like, the outline of the drugs buttons, it's really annoying.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Soundtrack is now available on streaming services!!!

https://open.spotify.com/album/5IhBwGYrQotmDvfLcdIj8R?si=R3TZ0w2XRNS96jxgdw-5ig

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
:allears:

(endgame spoilers)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

For once, youtube comments are actually useful - someone pointed out that's a Russian meme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-daMyeA8RE

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

All the bratan stuff just makes me involuntarily flashback to dota 2 and Russians yelling at me in that exact voice.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Can you do a 1/1/1/1 playthrough of the game where you fail every single skill check, or is it too frustrating from losing too much health and morale?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Node posted:

Can you do a 1/1/1/1 playthrough of the game where you fail every single skill check, or is it too frustrating from losing too much health and morale?

I did that once plus a no skill point investment run, you have to be very careful regarding the "free" modifiers that let you try again with Titus Hardie's checks and/or the FELD Shivers moment though, as they are mandatory for main plot progression. And what little cash you get is going straight to health, so poo poo like the board games are practically off-limits.

Kim can bail you out on all three titus hardie skill checks if you fail at each one three times so you can at least progress the main story.

There's also the boring cop thought that boosts all skillcaps to 3 as a workaround for a 1/1/1/1 failcop run

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
At long last playing and even only like two hours in, I understand why everyone loves my boyfriend Kim.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
I was reading up on May Bells and it seems like an obvious statement on xxx's horniness but that kind of thing dried up and is bad for people. I'm curious if I'm wildly speculating or missed a certain context.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

At long last playing and even only like two hours in, I understand why everyone loves my boyfriend Kim.

I think I’ve said this hundreds of times but they hit that perfect balance where’s he’s the responsible straight man to your wacky character but doesn’t just shut you down whenever you start having fun

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Best moments of the game are where you're making a drat fool of yourself and Kim decides to actually play along. Like the daba-doop-doop-dead scene or also wishing there was still ice cream in a years-old unused freezer.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

One of the first things that really convinced me I was gonna like this game was how quickly and completely Kim shifted from "Oh, a companion in a video game? How long until I can ditch this buzzkill tutorial guy" to "I would kill and/or die for my best friend, Kim Kitsuragi"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
exactly same

Oxxidation posted:

over the course of day 1 in my playthrough kim went from "how do i ditch this poindexter" to "i will simultaneously kill and die for you"

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Node posted:

I tried this and had to stop because it is too eerily quiet in your brain without your skills going off regularly.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Apologies for being real late to this but:

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

It pops up in a Shivers check at the very end of the game. Him and the precinct doc are talking about which cops are gonna be down to disco when The Revolution Comes, and I think Price is adamant that Harry is on board no matter which way you play. He actually says that every single cop in the precinct is down, actually...other than their candy-rear end technocrat advisor Trant, may Allah forsake him.

There's a decent amount of poo poo like that throughout the game, random asides or Shiver-checks that reference stuff that isn't relevant to the case, but seems like it might be setting up a sequel. So nothing that will ever come to fruition in any way, shape or form, never ever, from now until the heat death of the universe.

My take on that exchange wasn't that the precinct were revolutionaries so much as they had to decide if they were going to continue to keep order during a civil uprising and if so, were they going to act against the revolutionaries or not. I'm unsure if they would actively defend Revachol, but positive they are on the side of Revachol's right to self-determination.

They are after all a police force and nominally under the control of the coalition. Even neutrality would be perceived as taking a side.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 8, 2023

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Youremother posted:

Best moments of the game are where you're making a drat fool of yourself and Kim decides to actually play along. Like the daba-doop-doop-dead scene or also wishing there was still ice cream in a years-old unused freezer.

Or when you ask the girl hanging out on the ice where to score some drugs and Kim thinks you doing a sting and plays up being a youthful guy looking to score some drugs and make a fool out of himself. It's very bizarre.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
https://youtu.be/bU1BqTzqjIU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Zeniel posted:

Or when you ask the girl hanging out on the ice where to score some drugs and Kim thinks you doing a sting and plays up being a youthful guy looking to score some drugs and make a fool out of himself. It's very bizarre.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

My favorite part about that scene is thinking the "D" was some kind of alt-history fictional drug, but when he said "diamorphine" I remembered the very important context that "heroin" was actually brand name

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Zeniel posted:

What happens when Kim fails drama check.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Youremother posted:

Like the daba-doop-doop-dead scene

You could just see him smirking when you two were having that exchange and I loved it. I love you Kimball.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Played through this for the first time thanks to receiving it as a gift over xmas. Played it pretty straight up, mostly did murder investigation stuff. By the end of the game, I managed to solve the murder, meet the cryptid, and do a good enough job as a cop that the jackoffs from 41 had to take me back. The street tribunal went completely to poo poo, though. I beefed a 70% hand/eye coordination check somehow; not the worst roll I've ever had, but probably the most impactful failure. Can't help but think I should have chosen the "ceramic armor" thought, maybe that would have helped...

By far the funniest thing in the game, at least on this playthrough, is Kitsuragi complaining about how much I was running. I'm doing the video game thing of "hey, the game gives you a run button and no obvious stamina meter; let's just run around everywhere so I can explore more efficiently," and Kitsuragi goes "great, another track and field day."

Any suggestions on how to approach a second playthrough?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

if you're like most goons you were a sad and maybe boring communist, so try not being those things. pick a stat to have at 6 and lean into it. for example, if the word *bratan* doesn't mean anything to you, get 6 psy, put your horrific necktie on before you even leave the first room, and never, ever take it off. also, help the kids with their dance club and follow that as far as you possibly can

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Also do everything the necktie suggests, everything, even if and especially if you don't think you can afford to.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Youremother posted:

My favorite part about that scene is thinking the "D" was some kind of alt-history fictional drug, but when he said "diamorphine" I remembered the very important context that "heroin" was actually brand name

Substance D

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Youremother posted:

Also do everything the necktie suggests, everything, even if and especially if you don't think you can afford to.

I recently started playing this as well and rolled a 6 psy character because it sounded fun despite knowing nothing about the game. I'm pretty my character is actually, literally, insane. And probably a cult leader.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

By far the funniest thing in the game, at least on this playthrough, is Kitsuragi complaining about how much I was running. I'm doing the video game thing of "hey, the game gives you a run button and no obvious stamina meter; let's just run around everywhere so I can explore more efficiently," and Kitsuragi goes "great, another track and field day."

I still crack up at the payoff for this at the end when Kim is floored that Harry used to be a gym teacher and how it explains all the running. Love it

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kim is just salty because he's got a smoker's endurance. He needs the exercise, especially in his line of work. What he needs is a coach.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Youremother posted:

Oh he wants that D alright. Needs it bad.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Rynoto posted:

I recently started playing this as well and rolled a 6 psy character because it sounded fun despite knowing nothing about the game. I'm pretty my character is actually, literally, insane. And probably a cult leader.

6 psy, straight out of the gate? The deep-as-the-Marianas-Trench and vast oceanic soul disco experience (preferably shared through a PA system). Have fun!

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Any suggestions on how to approach a second playthrough?

I really enjoyed my Raphael Ambrosius Costeau run.
Very low intelligence (Logic dump stat), high motorics (Perception signature), low physical and high psy. You're basically the detective from the Pink Panther, oblivious to everything and everyone, bumbling through the case.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh dang, I didn't catch that. It's a reference to A Scanner Darkly.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

MariusLecter posted:

Oh he wants that D alright. Needs it bad.

KIM KITSURAGI - The Lieutenant turns his face away from you, clearly humiliated. "Please refrain from making comments like that to me, lieutenant-yefreitor."

DRAMA - If you wish to flirt with him, you shall need to be more subtle than that, lord!

ELECTROCHEMISTRY - He didn't realize you were offering...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

World War Mammories posted:

if you're like most goons you were a sad and maybe boring communist, so try not being those things. pick a stat to have at 6 and lean into it. for example, if the word *bratan* doesn't mean anything to you, get 6 psy, put your horrific necktie on before you even leave the first room, and never, ever take it off. also, help the kids with their dance club and follow that as far as you possibly can

Youremother posted:

I shall take this advice. Already I've flung myself backwards into the cryptozoologist's wife while flipping the double bird, so this is a good sign of things to come.