Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pattonesque posted:

lol just played a diamond support match with a pocketed sojourn named "sojourn" who admitted to smurfing because it's not against TOS, went 26-1 and missed exactly one of her charged railgun shots against my kiriko. super cool blizzard!

Yeah... I played a match yesterday still hardstuck as a low-mid plat support and had a T500 player and a pocketed master pharah on my team who were just dominating, the other team also had a couple master challengers and a GM challenger. The GM/T500 players likely weren't playing their mains, but why the gently caress was I in that game? Lol. We ended up winning, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh wow, players don't join mid game in the event mode, no wonder why it feels like you spend most of your time running around looking for a fight. Well that and some of the maps are too big for a FFA deathmatch.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

teagone posted:

Yeah... I played a match yesterday still hardstuck as a low-mid plat support and had a T500 player and a pocketed master pharah on my team who were just dominating, the other team also had a couple master challengers and a GM challenger. The GM/T500 players likely weren't playing their mains, but why the gently caress was I in that game? Lol. We ended up winning, but still.

and then I got a junkrat on my team who was pocketed, went 12-17, and didn't crack 7,000 damage. legit incredible, the matchmaking in this game

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

junker queen has a voice line I can't quite make out, not sure if its just ever green or part of the shiny zeus skin but every time I hear it I swear she's saying "I need a bucket bong"

You don't play with Closed Captioning on?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Played Orisa like a man possessed last night.

I love her so so much

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Proven posted:

on knife pull -> shoot -> melee combo but that wasn’t doing 200 damage without a headshot or using Carnage anyway

This is also kinda my point. Most other characters don't need to land quite so much to secure one kill. Queen has to do a ton of actions, orisa can just have someone into a wall and delete them.

Etc etc. Make queen good plz

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Does anyone feel like analyzing a match? Never had this done before and I think it would be interesting.

First of all, I'm bronze 5 so lower those expectations friends!

I know I have to work on my aim and positioning, but am I playing Ana correctly? I feel like I need to be more purposeful with my shots, but I think I'm usually too close and too offensive with the nade. I don't snipe with her a lot because I lose my bearings and get flanked. I'm also not sure how to use her ult correctly. I use it defensively as an oh-poo poo heal, but I hear nano is a super good thing.

I don't know. Have at it.

Hamshakes
TWK4P9

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Trying to play Ram when the opposing team has an Ana with more than 2 brain cells is painful. You can't do poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wow, they dropped all pretenses and stopped advertising their god awful event on the main screen and are advertising the shop instead.

Last event was being advertised there even after it wasn't available anymore.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Does anyone feel like analyzing a match? Never had this done before and I think it would be interesting.

First of all, I'm bronze 5 so lower those expectations friends!

I know I have to work on my aim and positioning, but am I playing Ana correctly? I feel like I need to be more purposeful with my shots, but I think I'm usually too close and too offensive with the nade. I don't snipe with her a lot because I lose my bearings and get flanked. I'm also not sure how to use her ult correctly. I use it defensively as an oh-poo poo heal, but I hear nano is a super good thing.

I don't know. Have at it.

Hamshakes
TWK4P9
i can import the replay code but it wont show up

either a patch wiped out replays or you're still on xbox and pc cant see xbox replays?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I switched from Xbox to PC a while ago. That's weird it won't show up. I'll have to double check the replay when I get home. I appreciate the effort to check it out though!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Replay worked fine for me.

You seem bit too fearless in your close range duels with Junkrat and you seem to press more W, than your tank.
Generally Ana works better if you stay a little more backwards than usual. Use walls and corners as your cover and keep enough distance so that attacking you is more trouble for them and you have an easier time to escape. You have unlimited range on your rifle and can observe better what is happening around you. Now you got surprised from behind, because you were almost touching your Rein.

1st fight you focused on the main choke and didn't notice that your Rein is in trouble until it was too late. Afterwards when most of your team was dead you W:d toward Junkrat. That why you spawned later than your teammates.
On 2nd fight you were again bit too close so you didn't see the reaper flanking until it was too late. If you were farther behind, the Reaper couldn't have sneaked behind the Rein without exposing himself to you.
On the point you just threw a celebratory Nano on Rein, because you didn't notice that all enemies were dead. Were you spychecking by shooting at random directions and zooming? You can check your enemy team composition during the game and you can add kill stream and audio queues for hero deaths to keep track which teams and heroes are alive and fighting.

On push section I don't have much new to say. You keep being pretty close-range aggressive with Ana. Like for Example the last section bridge fight versus Junkrat. Jesus, how did he not just 2-tap you, when you were straight walking toward him?
I also saw you healing your allies, while they were in full health. Do you have the 'Show allied healtbars always' setting on?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ana core gameplay loop:
1. follow tank's lead
2. keep tank armor and teammates topped off
3. land as many impactful anti-heal nades as you can asap.
4. hold sleep for self-peel or specific abilities (e.g. reaper ult, roadhog snaring himself with hook, cancelling roadhog vape). spam sleep if you dont have to worry about this.
5. no scope close up and scope farther.
6. press ult proactively and as much as you can to:
- combo with specific ults (e.g. nano visor, nanoblade)
- save any teammate (even a lucio) from dying
- boost tank or close range hero when they are right next to the enemy squishies (e.g. winston or reaper jumps on backline)
7. do not waste ult in an already lost or already won teamfight where using the ult will very likely not change the outcome.

if youre doing the above congrats you understand basic ana!

also if you're using a mouse, use between 20-40 cm/360 as your sensitivity

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

oh yah also shoot the enemies if your teammates within reasonable line of sight are topped off

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

comedyblissoption posted:

oh yah also shoot the enemies if your teammates within reasonable line of sight are topped off

Team-members blocking your shots/phat grenades, because they lost 5hp and walked in front of you. :argh:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Overwatch's menus are really awful. All the things you can access should be along the top of the screen or somewhere instead of menu navigation being a linear thing. So that way you have quick access to everything no matter where you are instead of having to back out to the main menu.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Issaries posted:

Replay worked fine for me.

Do you have the 'Show allied healtbars always' setting on?

Thank you for taking the time to check it out and respond I appreciate it!

I do have it on, as well as audio cues. The heal spamming habit is a bad one that I picked up and I'm not really sure why. There's a few reasons why I stay so close. The first is I'm not confident in my ability to get the grenade past my teammates and on to the enemy without smacking one of my teammates in the back of the head. Sometimes it feels like if I stay farther back I'm easier to single out without someone being around me to help if I get into some poo poo I can't handle. And the other reason is I worry that my teammates are going to run off beyond my los. Especially a charging rein. Being in bronze 5 has taught me that I can't really rely on my teammates the way I'd like to, so I try to stay a little bit more in the mix so that my DPS can help kill poo poo that's trying to kill me, and that my support can notice when I need help and help keep me alive.

I try to wait for tanks to respawn, and generally keep my whole team in front of me so I can see where everyone is, but I also don't want to get left too far behind when a push happens so that I can still keep up with healing and debuffing.

Just more bad habits.

I have no idea why junkrat didn't shoot me there! :cheeky:

I try to be a little more offensive with Ana because that anti-nade of hers can be super crucial to taking down tanks, or a pesky DPS/Support. But that has more often than not backfired on me in that the tank ends up focusing me down, where I should probably be more out of threat range considering I'm a sniper healer. :v:

My usual thought process when playing her is to keep people topped off until the enemy team pushes, and then I get more aggressive with the nade to make sure that it lands on people that it needs to, and then I'll try to back off and spam healing as much as I can on everybody that I can see.

Issaries posted:

Team-members blocking your shots/phat grenades, because they lost 5hp and walked in front of you. :argh:

Does the grenade just pass through people if they don't need to be healed? I was always under the impression that it would apply the heal to my teammates as opposed to applying the anti-heal to the enemy.

I really appreciate the insight from everybody, I'm kind of excited to apply the tips that you guys gave me and see if it helps me be better with her. I'll post a new replay taking what you guys said into account and see if I do better.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

No it will still splash full health teammates. You want this though bc you could, for example, see high damage incoming and splash healthy teammates to preemptively get the increased healing buff on them.

Edit: misunderstood, the grenade will go through them if they're full health, but you can splash them at full health by aiming at the ground by them.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 7, 2023

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Quote is not edit

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jack Trades posted:

Wow, they dropped all pretenses and stopped advertising their god awful event on the main screen and are advertising the shop instead.

Last event was being advertised there even after it wasn't available anymore.

I refuse to play that mode so this is really funny, lol.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Jesus tank diff is awful, and seems to be the deciding factor in more than half my matches. I'm not talking 'close thing' I'm talking one tank or the other is a literal noob working out what their buttons do. They have to implement the skill based role queue matching ASAP because even if the tank diff breaks in your favour it's just a very very bad match.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SadisTech posted:

Jesus tank diff is awful, and seems to be the deciding factor in more than half my matches. I'm not talking 'close thing' I'm talking one tank or the other is a literal noob working out what their buttons do. They have to implement the skill based role queue matching ASAP because even if the tank diff breaks in your favour it's just a very very bad match.

Sometimes during work I play against the easy bots just because it's kind of relaxing but hilariously if no one wants to play tank you can get trapped in the spawn by an Orissa just like it was against humans even though all the bots are meant for you to roll over them. Kind of wild how important this one role is to the game.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
One thing I wonder about is the fact that MMR being an ELO system means that everything is spread out and fits the standard deviation curve or whatever it’s called. But what if the median skill level that puts a tank in gold is equivalent to a different median rank for damage? What is the average skill level of the player base on each role, and also how spread apart are the skill levels of people within that role?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Proven posted:

One thing I wonder about is the fact that MMR being an ELO system means that everything is spread out and fits the standard deviation curve or whatever it’s called. But what if the median skill level that puts a tank in gold is equivalent to a different median rank for damage? What is the average skill level of the player base on each role, and also how spread apart are the skill levels of people within that role?

It would be really hard to measure that first question since different skills are more important in each role. Your assumption is that one role attracts players that are overall worse at video games, or maybe one role is so unpopular that good players just don't choose it. It's kind of irrelevant though. If you win half your games, you are at the right rank. I'm sure people that choose heals don't aim train as much as DPS, but does that make them worse players?

e: i misunderstood the second question. I think the spread has to be generally the same in each role since the criteria for skill level is winning games. If you have some other criteria for skill level then ???. If one role were more of a crap-shoot with no impact on the game, there would be more players hovering around the middle and smaller tails on the distribution. Same if it were hard to understand how to impact games in the role. I wouldn't attribute the spread to the skill level of the players, but yeah. I guess if one role attracted all the dumb people, they would have trouble understanding how to impact games. They would just trade wins around the median with a little bit of variance.

I'd like to see it plotted.

headcase fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 8, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Tank diff is usually so weird anyway. I completely poo poo on a guy playing JQ, then the next match i face him again but my team is pocketing the dps and ignoring me, they're not getting the picks they need and i'm basically just being run over without heals.

Get's called tank diff, but its just a team dynamic not working out.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Proven posted:

whether or not it's true, it doesn't matter for matchmaking. for a balanced match, you just need to be sure that the two tanks facing each other have a similar mmr. so if your tanks have the same elo rating, that means they are in the grand scheme in a 50% matchup against each other (ignoring map, team comp, team rating, bad matchups, bad day, etc.)

since tanks do play a much more important role, it is much more important that the matchmaking have a tighter band for matching tanks. this might already automatically be true since it's the most queued for role.

also, remember, ow2 is just much more snowbally. ult snowballs harder. having one weak link in your team that is exploited easily by the enemy to get first picked easily or vice versa can just have everything immediately fall apart in the first few team fights until they adjust and then it's already over.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

headcase posted:

It would be really hard to measure that first question since different skills are more important in each role. Your assumption is that one role attracts players that are overall worse at video games, or maybe one role is so unpopular that good players just don't choose it. It's kind of irrelevant though. If you win half your games, you are at the right rank. I'm sure people that choose heals don't aim train as much as DPS, but does that make them worse players?

e: i misunderstood the second question. I think the spread has to be generally the same in each role since the criteria for skill level is winning games. If you have some other criteria for skill level then ???. If one role were more of a crap-shoot with no impact on the game, there would be more players hovering around the middle and smaller tails on the distribution. Same if it were hard to understand how to impact games in the role. I wouldn't attribute the spread to the skill level of the players, but yeah. I guess if one role attracted all the dumb people, they would have trouble understanding how to impact games. They would just trade wins around the median with a little bit of variance.

I'd like to see it plotted.

comedyblissoption posted:

whether or not it's true, it doesn't matter for matchmaking. for a balanced match, you just need to be sure that the two tanks facing each other have a similar mmr. so if your tanks have the same elo rating, that means they are in the grand scheme in a 50% matchup against each other (ignoring map, team comp, team rating, bad matchups, bad day, etc.)

since tanks do play a much more important role, it is much more important that the matchmaking have a tighter band for matching tanks. this might already automatically be true since it's the most queued for role.

also, remember, ow2 is just much more snowbally. ult snowballs harder. having one weak link in your team that is exploited easily by the enemy to get first picked easily or vice versa can just have everything immediately fall apart in the first few team fights until they adjust and then it's already over.
Okay, these are points I didn’t think about. My thought at the time was that at GM all roles would be more consistent, but then I forgot that the same types of games happen in GM compared to low ranks, just with more Roadhog.

I agree on all the reasons OW2 is more snowbally. Even easier for me to just say “gg go next” into the next game.

dogstile posted:

Tank diff is usually so weird anyway. I completely poo poo on a guy playing JQ, then the next match i face him again but my team is pocketing the dps and ignoring me, they're not getting the picks they need and i'm basically just being run over without heals.

Team dynamic and positioning for the team we’re fighting against are the main reasons I see losses. If we’re not putting enough pressure from flanking or staying safe enough, or if the team isn’t competing together to solve the puzzle of how to adjust and get a win condition, then people tilt and I’m glad the average game is 10-15 min.

How do people constantly play through long matches of League and Valorant?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Proven posted:

Just a small point: the normal(ish) distribution isn't a feature of Elo type, it's a feature of human behavior. Elo style systems just reveal it.

But yeah I think you're somewhat correct in your intuition, and there IS a systemic bias in the populations (players face incentive to queue all roles, which is de facto support, and that incentive is larger for those who play fewer games/week). The effects could be ambiguous, but I'd love to see the curves as well.

I also play games where me and my other support are both excellent and either the tank or DPS are, for both teams, very poor. DPS typically, but not always.

Of course I'm never the bad one.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Proven posted:

I had quite a long conversation with a guy on Reddit about how the ranking system works and this is what he said about it.

A Person on Reddit posted:

I’ll bite…
Now this is under the assumption behind the screen of 7wins it’s the same as the old OW1 system… which iirc (according to flats) is the truth, if so it works like this…

There are two figures to worry about MMR(this is hidden you don’t know it) and your SR(this is your gold3, plat2, silver4 etc)

The MMR is what is used to group you with other people of the same MMR, where this gets tricky is every character you play has a different MMR, and so the the system averages all your heros with played time across the board… right to the next part

The game grades you on your stats per character, each character has metric stats that get recorded and they’re different for every hero, say your a soldier Main. Your soldier stats will be recorded and compared to every other soldier in the player base, which will give you its rough percentile or where you fall into roughly, be it bottom 25%, top 25% etc… which in turn gives you your hero MMR…

Now back to your SR, for every game you win your awarded between 10-35 Sr, based on your stats in game compared to all other of the same heros you played that game across the whole player base for every game, not just the team your on/against in a match. If you play very well and score good stats you could be rewarded up to 35 Sr, if you play crap and win, you get 10ish.

If you loose, you loose between 10-35 SR.. same metrics, play well and loose and you only loose 10sr, play badly and loose, loose 35sr… get the idea?

Brackets are basically 100 sr…
Bronze is 0-1500Sr, silver is 1501-2000, gold is 2001-2500… etc if goes in bands of 500 for all ranks except bronze which is 1500, there you can assume from silver 5 until you come to grandmaster 1 which is 4401-4500 (I’m open to correction there I’m only 3300 ish myself) it’s roughly 100sr per sub band, silver5,4,3,2,1 etc

Also be aware you can’t just grind up the ranks, it’s skill based, and the player base is distributed as such

0-10% bronze.
11-25% silver
26-50% gold
51-75% plat
76-90% diamond
91-95%masters
96-99% GM,
99%+ T500 (that’s a simplified I’m aware it’s 99.56% or something

But basically it means 75% of the player base are in plat1 or below.

Back to soldier if your current Sr is silver 4, that’s around 1650ish… which means you soldier stats fall somewhere into the 13 percentile.. if your stats stay at that percentile you will never ever ever climb no matter how many games you play… there used to be a website called overbuff that tracked all the stats from all your heros and told you what percentile your stats were in, I don’t know if it still exists or is comparable with OW2… I’ll leave you Google that.

Now here’s where the fun begins say your cassidys stats fall into the 75 percentile, that means you’d basically be gaining 35 sr per win until your SR hits your MMR for Cassidy which would be at 75% be in plat1…

This leads to a lot of those stomps your getting at the moment because people are being rated on their average MMR.. but there seems to be a wildly different MMR for their own hero pool. It’s very possible to be a bronze projectile dps hero, but a platt hitscan… so if you play a sub optimal hero for you in a game , you could literally be a silver grouped with diamonds in our soldier/Cassidy example…

Also note playing a meta character means more people play it, making the stats more competitive… where as a hero with a very small player base is objectively easier to climb with.

Next and the most important bit… Winning doesn’t matter… I have literally seen doom and mercy one tricks in high plat/low diamond with a sub 30% winrate. Win rate only matters after diamond5… until then it’s all about personal performance /stats. You could win 10 games in a row and still only get 8-10 Sr per win if your playing “badly” which wouldn’t even move you up a band.

There is a lot more too it than that, and this is all based off of being the same as OW1 just behind a screen.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

dogstile posted:

Yeah whenever I see "tank diff" from my own team when we lose and I'm the tank it usually comes from me fighting a mirror fight/another tank when they have like a pocket mercy and my healer is part of the a dps/support queue duo that has hosed off somewhere doing nothing. Maybe holding right click while your friend playing soldier while he gets no kills isn't the super strategy to comp you think it is.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I had quite a long conversation with a guy on Reddit about how the ranking system works and this is what he said about it.
he's wrong and i feel like he doesn't know how elo works

elo is based on giving players a skill rating that represents a statistical win % versus someone at another rating. the same rating players have a 50% chance win. an elo system could be tuned to where for example having 100 more rating than another player means you have a 75% win chance versus them. the amount of points you win or lose depends on the relative skill rating of the opponent and is based on the predicted win % such that it will converge the players to the actual statistical appropriate skill rating and win % if they play infinite games against each other.

in overwatch, your elo rating is dominated by whether you win or lose more than your stats. stats are only there to reduce the impact of smurfing and place players more quickly than just straight up elo adjustments on win or loss.

if it works like ow1, at any ranking, win % does not determine elo. stats do not affect elo above plat.

yes it is possible that stats may put players lower than diamond in a bracket they shouldn't be in compared to a elo system that only uses win/loss, but it's not that big a deal and results in better games for the vast majority of the population.

also the publicly released stats that blizzard has done years ago had diamond and above as ~13% of the ladder playing population. GM was 1%. idk where he got those numbers.

the stat tracking websites are worthless. stats are worthless except to instantly identify gargantuan holes in your gameplay (e.g. basically not damage boosting at all as mercy, not going for kills at all as moira) or track ults.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 8, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Old stats put diamond as 8% of players had hit diamond once. 3% had hit masters. Under 1% had hit gm.

The old elo system didn't let you climb while you lost, either. No idea why he thinks you can now.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I'm not sure either. The whole system is so convoluted it makes it hard to know what's actually going on. People are just looking for answers myself included.

It's the main reason why I'm excited about the PVE mode, if it actually ever comes out. I like having stuff to work towards in a game. It's fine to jump on with your friends and just get some kills, play a few matches, etc but when it comes to my solo gameplay I'd like to have goals beyond the daily challenges.

I thought competitive would put me up against people of my same skill level, until I exceeded that skill level, and got placed into another group of people who are at the same skill level. But instead, I get put up against people of a vastly higher skill level that I have to somehow beat in order to go up to a rank higher than where I currently am, but lower than the people that I'm actually playing against.

It's a pretty dumb system to me, because it's not fun having to rely on people who don't want to work as a team, yet are required to in order to win.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's extremely likely you are getting matched with players similarly rated to you in competitive mode

to verify this, right click and view profiles that are public in your games and see their rankings from this and the previous season in the role they are queuing for

it's extremely unlikely that someone who should really be a plat player is rated say bronze unless they were intentionally throwing a bunch of games

the best way to improve is to not care about winning or losing and focusing on improving your own gameplay

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I thought that once you started winning more games the Matchmaker put you up against people within a two rank spread depending upon how well or how poorly you're doing? Like, the better you did, the tougher your opponents were, or the worse you were doing, the worse your opponents were.

I've tried checking profiles of people, but every single person I've ever checked has always been private.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 8, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Decided to log in for the first time in a while to check out the Battle for Mount Olympus event that's been hyped for a long time.

Wow, this is pretty poo poo. Time to log off.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
thanks

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
gosh facing off against a Sojourn/Mercy pocket is so cool when you don't have one of your own

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the matchmaker tries to put you with people around your currently rated skill level

you raise your currently rated skill level by winning games more often than not b/c your actual skill at the game improved

it works similar to chess elo matchmaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I thought that once you started winning more games the Matchmaker put you up against people within a two rank spread depending upon how well or how poorly you're doing? Like, the better you did, the tougher your opponents were, or the worse you were doing, the worse your opponents were.

I've tried checking profiles of people, but every single person I've ever checked has always been private.

It's not worth putting an enormous amount of thought into. There isn't really a way to game it that I know of. Generally you will get matched with people around your skill level and that is fine and good. You are right that if you way outperform your rank, your hidden MMR might change faster or might already be way higher than your rank and you play against people in higher ranks. This won't happen with a normal amount of wins or normal progression, but it would happen to a GM in gold. Like if someone is going 25-2 in consecutive games with decisive wins, they start making bigger jumps until diamond.