Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well the best cities are not authoritarian tyrannies. By default none of them are supposed to be as they are supposed run by councils with elected membership.

What gives you the impression that Sigmar's Regime is more fascist?

The power of church state and economy all concentrated under one ruler and an army of brainwashed super soldiers who follow his every order.

and also the general aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

War and Pieces posted:

The power of church state and economy all concentrated under one ruler and an army of brainwashed super soldiers who follow his every order.

Eehhh Sigmar hasn't quite gotten to the degree of "worship me or burn". He still permits other faiths to hang around.

I like the quote from one of the Stormcasts in Dynasty of Monsters - "We're not here to make excuses for the mortals, we just defend them." This is when the human army try an incredibly ill-advised betrayal against an entire dynasty of vampires they had allied with against some beastmen. The Stormcast are clearly annoyed by the dishonour but their priority is to defend the humans.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

War and Pieces posted:

The Church has tons of different sects, and all the cities have different economies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

The Knights Excelsior are definitely worse on average than most Space Marine chapters, but the average Stormcast legion is way better, and there isn't an overarching unified fascist government, yeah.

While they are bad, their primary City Excelsis is still self governing and the KE have no more role in it's leadership then checking up on them to make sure none are traitors.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm hoping Cities of Sigmar let's me just play old school dwarfs but I doubt it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

I'm hoping Cities of Sigmar let's me just play old school dwarfs but I doubt it.

Pretty sure that will be Khazalid Empire when it comes.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
GW stapling on more and more factions to AoS is not a good long term move imo.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

While they are bad, their primary City Excelsis is still self governing and the KE have no more role in it's leadership then checking up on them to make sure none are traitors.

I'm sorry I called your benevolent sky daddy and his buff Bois fascist

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

War and Pieces posted:

Ok no need to mock me, already said the KE were bad. Just not nearly as authoritarian as I would expect from them.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

War and Pieces posted:

Did you ask a question just so you could get mad at everyone who didn't give you the answer you wanted?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

neaden posted:

Did you ask a question just so you could get mad at everyone who didn't give you the answer you wanted?

No, upon first glance the Sigmarines did come across to me as more authoritarian than their feudal spaceman cousins.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Deleter posted:

GW stapling on more and more factions to AoS is not a good long term move imo.

Long term no but I definitely think there is room for more, give Order the Shadow Elves, Give Chaos the Chaos Dwarfs and then fill out Death and Destruction until they're more in line with where Chaos and Order are now and then GW can stop

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just wanna give a shoutout to a goon for helping me out here, printing me some bases for my future Ossiarch Bonereapers and Gloomspite Gitz armies

The only thing I'm now noticing, the big base for my Mortek Crawler may not fit because of the extra dodads on the right hand side, but it's heckin' cool, regardless.

I think I'll know better once I build them out, but it might take some finangling with a knife and such to get it to fit

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

You should get into 3d printing, it is amazing how many options it opens up hobby wise. I am completely in love with mine. Now that I have everything all set up, know what I am doing, etc... I can print a full plate of infantry for around 3 dollars. 20 Krieg guys that look better than forgeworld Krieg for 3-4 bucks is amazing. I printed 3 Tau flyers and 2 speeders for about 25 bucks. You can get a real small footprint one for less than the price of an army box, at 189. It is a little small but as long as you have time it will pay for itself quickly. https://www.anycubic.com/products/p...EBoCPk4QAvD_BwE

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I spent hours and hours trying to get my anycubic 4k mono to work, with two different resins and I'd spend all that time to get a 25% success rate. I gave up. Right now I'd prefer to just pay someone else who knows what they're doing than have to deal with that second hobby again.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Agreed. I also tried it for other stuff unrelated to miniatures and frankly, I don't need another hobby so I just pay if I need something.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sorry to hear it didn't work out! If you want to give it a shot later maybe I can help troubleshoot or work through some issues. I have a couple hundred plates worth of prints under my belt now so feel pretty good about figuring out what is going wrong. Sometimes the pre-supported files are just absolute dogshit, like Stationforge. I love both of their armies but they were the first things I tried to print and I almost rage quit the hobby, but their supports turned out to be the issue. They were just incredibly bad. I actually find it easier to get good prints with medium sized things like 75mm figures, and the smaller figures can be difficult.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I was trying to print something like some goofy necron stl files I found or other things that weren't presupported (most of the stuff I wanted either failed completely, or looked like this)

if they even printed at all.

To bring it round back to AOS, If I could get it to work, I'd probably print some mortek guard proxies, cause $60 usd a box is nutters.

There's some Oathmark skeletons I considered buying, roughly $30 for 30 skeletons is a pretty decent deal:
https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=15057

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Well shoot me a pm or make a post in the 3d printing thread if you ever want to try again. If you need someone to print out the files you got that might be fun for me to try because I am going to be opening an etsy store and I want to try to figure out the inns and outs of shipping delicate little miniatures.

Those are good looking skeletons!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pretty sure that will be Khazalid Empire when it comes.

I'm sorry, the what now? I haven't been keeping up much on AoS lore so this is the first I've heard of this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

I'm sorry, the what now? I haven't been keeping up much on AoS lore so this is the first I've heard of this.

The Khazalid Empire was the original Duardin Nation in AoS's Age of Myth. It was destroyed during the Age of Chaos with it's survivors splitting into the Kharadron Overlords and Dispossessed and it had close ties to the Fyreslayer Lodges that ended. A fair amount of recent lore has talked about the restoration of the Khazalid Empire, with talks of Alliance between the major Duardin factions, with Grungni, Grombindal, and Gotrek all expressing interest in it's restoration and the reclamation of it's great Karaks, along with rumors that Grungni intends to bring Valaya back to the Mortal Realms as well.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Khazalid Empire was the original Duardin Nation in AoS's Age of Myth. It was destroyed during the Age of Chaos with it's survivors splitting into the Kharadron Overlords and Dispossessed and it had close ties to the Fyreslayer Lodges that ended. A fair amount of recent lore has talked about the restoration of the Khazalid Empire, with talks of Alliance between the major Duardin factions, with Grungni, Grombindal, and Gotrek all expressing interest in it's restoration and the reclamation of it's great Karaks, along with rumors that Grungni intends to bring Valaya back to the Mortal Realms as well.

gently caress YES

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I'm no great fan of the AoS lorez I much preferred the old WHFB setting. But it seems to me that this is an easier way to manage factions than the current split. Even if they never plan to support the legacy dwarf models or introduce new stuff with that aesthetic, the Fyreslayers at least seem way too threadbare to be their own faction. I have no experience of how they play on the tabletop, but visually they're just the same loincloth mohawk dudes all with slightly different axes, and a dragon monster. Seems they'd do much better as units in a larger faction.

The kharadron overlords on the other hand do seem distinct and varied enough to stand on their own merits.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

A lot of AoS factions are pretty threadbare on unit count/diversity, which is fine in itself because it gives room to expand, but Dwarfs seem perfect for combining into one book like they did with the orks and just letting people play as a combined army or separate subfactions.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'd be very happy if they gave me a better reason to buy some classic dwarfs to go with my KO army.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Fyreslayers especially feel like you should be able to include 500 pts of them in other armies as mercenaries like giants.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
KO have ways to bring in other dwarfs but tbh it's kind of cumbersome and you miss out on good things from other skyports by doing it. Making them all the same team would be really nice. Maybe have some special battalions for each faction or something.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Given that Lumineth are kind of the AoS take on classic high elves and came late following tree-elves, monster-elves, and aquatic blind albino elves, it does feel about time for GW to introduce the dwarf equivalent of the Lumineth.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Going to do a little crosspost - I'm quite happy how he turned out

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Did a zombie

Never done copper nmm, worked out I think.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/08/sunday-preview-the-slaves-to-darkness-pour-forth-across-the-mortal-realms/

Next weekends pre-orders are aaaaaall about Chaos as the new Daves to Darkness models come out in a stand alone release, alongside the new General's Handbook, Battletome and Vanguard box.

As well as the Chaos Lord on Karkadrak getting its own release now as well.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/08/sunday-preview-the-slaves-to-darkness-pour-forth-across-the-mortal-realms/

Next weekends pre-orders are aaaaaall about Chaos as the new Daves to Darkness models come out in a stand alone release, alongside the new General's Handbook, Battletome and Vanguard box.

As well as the Chaos Lord on Karkadrak getting its own release now as well.

Love the idea of Chaos Dave. Just wants to worship the dark powers and come home to a nice spaghetti dinner and talk about his day.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

And the "new" GHB, finally heralding the end of the Bounty Hunters battalion.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I like how they made two different collector's editions of the Slaves book.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I think that, tempting as it might be, making a unified Dwardin box, like the Orruks would be ultimately a mistake.

Currently, because of Big Waaagh, playing just one flavor of Orruk is pretty one-dimensional. Savage Orruks have a few models because they have leftovers from the Old World, and Kruleboys got a bit because they're new and breathe some fresh visuals into the range, but the IronJawz...oh, those poor boys.

I was discussing it earlier today, and a Kruleboys player was complaining that his faction didn't feel tanky enough, and I thought it was because if you made them tankier, you blend in IJ for BW, and it becomes ungovernable.

Don't misunderstand me, Fyreslayers could use a little something more, and KO are surely looking forward to their new tome, but making the Duardin diaspora reunite will only dilute their flavor, I fear.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Honestly that's fair. I'd be okay with them having a separate dispossed/khazalid book and just having more robust allies rules. I do think the old world orcs need to be filled out a helluva lot more though, you have almost no options to choose from. Them taking a huge left turn on the basic aesthetic with the new stuff was not a great move imo.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Feeple posted:

Don't misunderstand me, Fyreslayers could use a little something more, and KO are surely looking forward to their new tome, but making the Duardin diaspora reunite will only dilute their flavor, I fear.

Doesn't help that the playstyles of Overlords (hyper mobile fragile shooting) and Slayers (slow tanky melee) are radically opposed. Any attempt to mash them into the same faction kind of inevitably runs into the problem of being impossible to balance. You potentially have a army that can do literally everything except spellcasting. It seems doomed to either be oppressive and broken or useless by way of overcorrection.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Going to do a little crosspost - I'm quite happy how he turned out

I love it, especially the green glow effect. How did you do the copper?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/Pjschard/status/1612473811252776962

If someone needs inspiration to make a female giant.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Trying to gently caress off from my work, post your favorite Kruleboyz paintjobs and swamp basing works. TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Basing is just the sculpted bases they come on, but here’s my Da Kunnin Krew.

Only registered members can see post attachments!