Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why are the LCDs on aftermarket car stereos so bad? WVGA, resistive touchscreens? You couldn't sell a tablet with that nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Why are the LCDs on aftermarket car stereos so bad? WVGA, resistive touchscreens? You couldn't sell a tablet with that nowadays.
Partially because old folks can't read "tiny" letters and capacitive screens don't work with gloves. Mostly because they were designed 15 years ago, and innovation will get you nowhere with the guy who just wants to go to Best Buy to get Howard Stern installed in his work truck.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

it's because they're made with old components from last gen.

Atoto makes capacitive 720p headunits that look fine even at 10.5"

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

it's because they're made with old components from last gen.

Atoto makes capacitive 720p headunits that look fine even at 10.5"
It's both hilarious and pathetic that Atoto's cheapest deck has a higher DPI screen than Pioneer's most expensive one which costs nearly 10 times as much.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

In spite of my problems, that's one area I'm not dissatisfied at all, this Joying head unit has a 1280 x 480 screen that is just gorgeous.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It warms the heart to know that for slightly more than the cost of a current gen iPad, you can get something equivalent to a HTC wildfire bolted to the front of a cheap Bluetooth head unit from around the same period.

And that's before you buy the integration kit that actually allows you to fit it and not lose most of the functionality of the base model OEM unit.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Speaking of which, I'm still struggling to figure out how to get my USB port on my 2019 Camry hooked up to my Atoto head unit. It seems to be an unique one, with the AUX jack combined into the same enclosure. I don't care about the AUX jack, but I would love to have the ability to charge my phone faster (the stock one sucks).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nocheez posted:

Speaking of which, I'm still struggling to figure out how to get my USB port on my 2019 Camry hooked up to my Atoto head unit. It seems to be an unique one, with the AUX jack combined into the same enclosure. I don't care about the AUX jack, but I would love to have the ability to charge my phone faster (the stock one sucks).

Need an adapter from the factory harness to the HU USB

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-USB-TY1-Toyota-Lexus-Retention/dp/B00F0YJ49O

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Mine is different than that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
These Atoto units look a lot better than the offerings from Sony, alpine, Kenwood etc, any other brands I should know about?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Atoto is also keen to fix a poor review on Amazon

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I put an Atoto s8 in my car and its been everything i could want. Boots up instantly with the car, android auto works perfectly, I popped in a 128gb microsd car with a bunch of music on it, runs all spotify and other apps natively (though unless you want to pay for a SIM and data plan just for your cars radio, you need to wifi hotspot to your phone for data which isn't really a big deal), nav works great, and honestly I don't even use android auto since everything just runs natively I rarely have a reason to. Its never given me a single issue in the year i've had it installed and I really couldn't be happier.

I'm not an audiophile type though so i don't know if the audio out of them is lousy or something, but for what i wanted its really been perfect. All the name brand units were more expensive, had worse screens, I would have had to gently caress around with wiring poo poo to the break lever or something as an anti "don't use the screen while in motion!" lockout, lacked features, would have needed to run and install a separate mic (as opposed to the Atoto having a built in mic on the front of the unit, along with aux input), and had a lot of slow laggy responsiveness.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Here's a picture of my connector. There is an audio jack on one side and the USB on the other.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
The other side (the two wire connector should be ignored, it goes to the cigarette lighter).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 25, 2022

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
A few weeks ago or more unposted about a Corehan or similar brand on Amazon that has CarPlay and android auto for the time $62 on Amazon.

Just an update it still starts flawlessly and in 15-20 seconds and has kept all the settings in that time with no weird battery draw.

Will definitely buying one again for future imports. Touch screen is really responsive too.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

everdave posted:

A few weeks ago or more unposted about a Corehan or similar brand on Amazon that has CarPlay and android auto for the time $62 on Amazon.

Just an update it still starts flawlessly and in 15-20 seconds and has kept all the settings in that time with no weird battery draw.

Will definitely buying one again for future imports. Touch screen is really responsive too.
Hows the brightness in full sun?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nocheez posted:

The other side (the two wire connector should be ignored, it goes to the cigarette lighter).

That bottom part looks a lot like a USB port... so much so I'd just try plugging a USB plug to see if it just fits.

If it works, and the direction you need, Then you could make a custom housing by Dremeling off the cars built in plug on the white piece.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 25, 2022

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Cage posted:

Hows the brightness in full sun?

It’s in a camper
So I haven’t been daily driving but seems
To not be an issue in full sun

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

That bottom part looks a lot like a USB port... so much so I'd just try plugging a USB plug to see if it just fits.

If it works, and the direction you need, Then you could make a custom housing by Dremeling off the cars built in plug on the white piece.

I don't have the time I need to gently caress around with this... Just give me the Metra link I need tyvm

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
How do these ATOTO units and similar go with steering wheel controls? I scrolled through some of the Amazon reviews and Q&A for their A6 and it seems to support it for Subarus via an Aerpro harness, but curious to see how that works in practice?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

I would go with either this, or sacrifice the factory cable and a generic USB cable by cutting them in half and soldering the appropriate wires together.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Last JOYING update: 2 months with a new mp3 player app and I've had zero problems. Also the new app (Musicolet) sounds way better and is faster and pretty much better in every way. I was running Omnia music player before and it appears it was the source of all my problems.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I got frustrated and disconnected the wireless Atoto CarPlay adapter and just use the cable now, albeit with a magnetic end so I don't wear the socket on the phone out. The adapter had a tendency to not quite work, needing a reboot (unplug, re-plug from the head unit.) The head unit still sometimes displays a black screen on CarPlay, though the audio works. That requires a reboot of the head, which requires turning off the car and letting the head unit shut down. No way to restart the head unit from the controls that I've found, which is amazingly annoying.
That said, incidence of those black screen issues seems to be down with the direct connection. I'm still reasonably happy with it for the price.

If I had it to do over, I probably would have gone with the regular 8" double-DIN, or the BOSS single-DIN with floating 7" display that I just installed in a coworker's van. The attachment method on the display is much better thought out, and it swivels and adjusts easily without tools. It also worked well for the short period I was testing it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I mounted my backup camera today, right in the factory location! Too bad the angle sucks and I need to figure something else out :smith:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Here's how I had it mounted originally in the stock location, it looked so good!

But I had to use the license plate bracket so I can actually see something.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Kind of sucks that for something as common as a Camry you can't just find a pile of vehicle-specific ones that would fit perfectly. I'd love some kind of combo rearview mirror that has a stealth screen for a camera, auto-dimming, a compass, and buttons for garage door openers, but that doesn't seem to exist and anything close requires getting everything over CAN or some crazy factory harness which I don't care enough to replicate.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'd bet you can - I found a camera and mount that replaced the license plate light on my mother-in-law's Honda insight (and a lot of other Hondas due to parts-sharing.) Worked fine.

On the Camry, I'd probably build a spacer that changes the angle, but I'm handy like that. Also stubborn.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I have 2 children under 5, so maybe I'll take another crack at it later. I really want to get my steering wheel controls working, and I'm hoping I didn't misunderstand the packaging and need to order an additional box to talk to the head unit (Atoto F7, 2019 Camry).

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If you have a 2 wire config for steering wheel controls, they should work directly wired to the head unit.

If not, you'll probably need the idatalink/maestro for full integration. I needed one on our 2012 Camry for steering wheel controls, tpms, and odb2 data.

It would also integrate HVAC for some cars/head units.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 30, 2022

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ohio just changed its phone use law and holding a cell phone while driving is not probable cause and ticketable.

With that, I'm looking at adding wireless Android Auto to my wife's 2015 RDX with technology package (lol).

It's a standard 2015-era unit with a screen on the top of the dash and a center column of hard buttons/controls.

I have done car audio forever, but it's been a long time since I've even replaced a head unit.

It doesn't seem like there's as much aftermarket as there used to be, and most of the aftermarket seems to be aux-input controls. That'd be okay, but the only one I've seen for this car is navtool, and that looks like a kludge to me.

It seems like there are two versions of questionable chinese sourcing that may work.

Here's one:

Here's another:

I like the larger upper screen better, since it keeps all of the stock HVAC controls, instead of moving the display from a digital display in stock form to replacing that display with screen and having software show the HVAC status at the top of the screen.

So... does anyone have any input? I used a Chinese head unit in my E39 about 8 years ago and it was kinda kludge-y, but so were most mobile Android integrations at that time.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I went to Crutchfield and they said there was nothing available, that they don't recommend replacing your radio. You might just be boned, unless you want to take a chance on one of those you posted.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Nocheez posted:

I went to Crutchfield and they said there was nothing available, that they don't recommend replacing your radio. You might just be boned, unless you want to take a chance on one of those you posted.

I knew if I dug enough on Amazon, I'd find it: https://www.amazon.com/Navigation-A...97-eb60747b8daf

Have a question in to the seller if it has Wireless Android Auto, the listing is ambiguous. Aliexpress seller said that it did have Wireless Android Auto.

We'll see. I'd rather buy from Amazon for ease of return if it would come to that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
800 is a lot to throw on something like this, but if it keeps you in the car for a few years longer than it probably is worth it for the enjoyment. A new car would be a lot more.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Does the RDX have non-wireless Android Auto? If so, then you can buy one of those wireless adapters that are like $80 - $100.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Nocheez posted:

800 is a lot to throw on something like this, but if it keeps you in the car for a few years longer than it probably is worth it for the enjoyment. A new car would be a lot more.

Yeah, it's a lot, but we haven't clicked 60k miles on it yet, and it's an awesome appliance, so in light of holding a phone becoming illegal here, it's a good investment in safety and non rolling probable cause, imo.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Does the RDX have non-wireless Android Auto? If so, then you can buy one of those wireless adapters that are like $80 - $100.

No, it's a couple years before the good electronics hit.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I'm kinda shocked that a 2015 Acura didn't come with bluetooth.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

I knew if I dug enough on Amazon, I'd find it: https://www.amazon.com/Navigation-A...97-eb60747b8daf

Have a question in to the seller if it has Wireless Android Auto, the listing is ambiguous. Aliexpress seller said that it did have Wireless Android Auto.

We'll see. I'd rather buy from Amazon for ease of return if it would come to that.

Hey man I’m finding that exact unit for under $500 on Ali…quite a savings. If you have a good credit card you’d be protected if it was DOA

US $421.20 40% Off | Android GPS Navigation for Honda acura RDX 2013 2014 2015 2016 carplay 128G Car radio stereo Receiver Dvd player 2 din
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOyvBH0

everdave fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 8, 2023

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

everdave posted:

Hey man I’m finding that exact unit for under $500 on Ali…quite a savings. If you have a good credit card you’d be protected if it was DOA

US $421.20 40% Off | Android GPS Navigation for Honda acura RDX 2013 2014 2015 2016 carplay 128G Car radio stereo Receiver Dvd player 2 din

I loving love this community.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

Sweet, thanks! Contacting them now to see if they guarantee wireless android auto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

empty baggie posted:

I'm kinda shocked that a 2015 Acura didn't come with bluetooth.

My '13 CR-V had Bluetooth, but it was an absolutely terrible implementation with two seconds of latency that made any attempt at voice control completely unusable.