Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

echinopsis posted:

cycles vs eevee when it’s animations
I mean an animation is just a sequence of frames, it's going to have the exact same difference it has in a still.

I didn't specifically mean a stylized cartoon style thing but it just occurred to me the word animation could be taken that way so maybe that's what you were thinking of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I was assuming something cartoon or using the greasy pencil

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Oh yeah I was just thinking whatever kind of render but moving.

https://i.imgur.com/neRBzJR.mp4

Spot all the denoising artifacts.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
should i

* fire up an old windows xp shitbox to install povray and moray so i can render a perfectly raytraced glass reflective sphere on a checkerboard stretching to infinity
* learn blender to do the same because that stuff also works there without needing a kjghpillion polygons

the povray renders are just so liminal and hit exactly the right wrong kind of nostalgia buttons for me but it's a dead evolutionary end

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ugh I actually can’t stand denoising, Id rather just have noise

it’s impressive how well it can work overall, but it always looks like it’s been applied and it’s a horrible effect imo.

that ship would be interesting in unreal engine, a) you could control the boosters with keys or a controller and b) you could actually make the boosters move it around in physical space in a realistic looking way without having to key frame anything

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Laserjet 4P posted:

should i

* fire up an old windows xp shitbox to install povray and moray so i can render a perfectly raytraced glass reflective sphere on a checkerboard stretching to infinity
* learn blender to do the same because that stuff also works there without needing a kjghpillion polygons

the povray renders are just so liminal and hit exactly the right wrong kind of nostalgia buttons for me but it's a dead evolutionary end

I’ve tried to recreate those kinds of raytraced images with blender and have failed, but maybe I didn’t try hard enough. at least I think you can install poverty ray in blender or simulate ray tracing with the path tracer by having every surface 0% rough and no global illumination

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

squirrelzipper posted:

Blender on Metal has actually gotten really good tho. Not RTX good obv, but really decent compared to old OpenGL/Mac CUDA poo poo

Apple actually put a developer to work full time on blender to fix metal support etc

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Elukka posted:

I mean an animation is just a sequence of frames, it's going to have the exact same difference it has in a still.

I didn't specifically mean a stylized cartoon style thing but it just occurred to me the word animation could be taken that way so maybe that's what you were thinking of?

As someone working on an animation that doesn't have a matte/overly stylised cartoon effect other than some composition nodes that adds a subtle outline to objects, it makes a big difference because there are many things that Cycles X is capable of that you need to fudge in EVEE. I don't have any of my old files to hand so I can't render out a comparison (and my Evee version was from almost two years ago so the scene looks worse anyway) but the big ones I've noticed are in volumetrics and bump/heightmapping. I'm not very techy so I'm gonna get a bunch of things wrong trying to explain it, but the way I figure it is that Evee (and most game engines) is a human's attempt at getting the computer to display things in a way that seems mostly right to people, whereas raytracers (or path tracers/hybrid what have yous for modern games) are more of a way of asking the computer to figure out how to make stuff look as realistic as it can.

For this reason Evee/non raytracey engines is actually a good shout for stylised games and animations, because the onus of getting the aesthetics right is on the person at the computer. If you don't need accurate lighting, bump details, volumetrics, shadows and so on you can pretty much reliably use Evee and get the result you want, even for semi-realistic stuff - the issue is that there might be extra steps, work and fudging in order to get the result you want if it's complicated. I can confirm that Evee is an absolute pain in the rear end if you want low-lying fog and volumetrics that don't look off, low-quality or messy. It's also bad for things like caustics, reflections and so on because out of necessity it'll never be as accurate as sending and receiving raw information from the objects themselves like a raytrace would do.

Raytracing means that a lot of fancy things work straight out of the box because there isn't any smoke and mirrors (something cycles is ironically good at) behind the logic, it's basically as close to accurate as you can get which is also why Cycles takes a decent amount of time to render even simple stuff. That being said, Cycles X makes rendering an animation like mine within the realm of realistic because it's so much more efficient than it used to be that a decent quality render that would've taken days will only take hours on my fairly high end but absolutely not art quality rig. This means rather than dicking around with trying to bend the engine into doing what I'd like it to do, it'll just do the work for me and all the little details and cruft I like to put into my textures will catch the light and shadows the way I want it to.

Ultimately it's a choice of getting what you want out of a render with the minimal amount of fuss and the highest level of quality in the least amount of time. Don't think of Cycles X as a the Ha Ha, Check Out My Tech You Foolish Mortals style of rendering - it's just an expensive (in time and hardware cost at least) way of getting a nearly perfectly accurate image out of the information you give the renderer.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

poverty ray

:drat:

i mean i know it's free and all but you didn't have to call me out like that

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

re: eevee vs cycles in animation - worth noting that the new blender studio film was made almost entirely with eevee.
there's a bit in the making of where simon thommes talks about how good it is to have your realtime viewport pretty much match what you're going to see in the final render.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXqq0ZvbOnk

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

that’s also why real-time compositor is so promising

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

yeah i can't wait for the realtime compositor to be in master (unless it is already?)

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
I can't believe that was done in Eevee. Amazing work!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Denoising and Eevee are both a matter of economy. A raytracer will always be better and require less cheats. A clean render is always better than a noisy denoised render. It's just then you do the math and find out you would need two weeks of 24/7 render time on your GPU for a project and go gently caress it because it takes ten minutes on Eevee instead.

I wouldn't use Eevee for my animations because it's better. I'd use Eevee for projects like that because using Cycles is not tenable without a lot more money in hardware or render farm time than I have.

echinopsis posted:

that ship would be interesting in unreal engine, a) you could control the boosters with keys or a controller and b) you could actually make the boosters move it around in physical space in a realistic looking way without having to key frame anything
I've got a script in Blender where I can give the ship location and rotation waypoints, and it'll fire thrusters more or less physically believably. Though yeah a game engine does net you much better simulation features in general.

Unreal would probably be a good alternative for me to learn but it's a whole thing. Though that ship would work as is, it's got a bog standard PBR material setup.

e: Repost I guess but I think last time I didn't have the rotation handling. I just press a button and it does this.

https://i.imgur.com/TlAkHhp.mp4

Elukka fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 8, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the benefit to me of unreal engine is coz I am a childe and it means I can actually “play” it lol. it’s a got a big initial learning curve but imo having a true coding environment rather than scripts opens some doors

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

poverty ray

This man has no chill.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Elukka posted:

Oh yeah I was just thinking whatever kind of render but moving.

https://i.imgur.com/neRBzJR.mp4

Spot all the denoising artifacts.

this really looks awesome though in space things are usually lit up with a single source of light with absolutely no ambient light. have a look at 2001:a space odyssey for some realistic space lighting. just ultra hard shadows and complete blackness.

guess you can add some spaceship lights if you want your model to be visible in the darker areas as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maybe there's a planet right below it filling in the underside . you don't know

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

maybe there's a planet right below it filling in the underside . you don't know

well then dust off your copy of Bryce 3D and show it!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I actually loved my (pirated) version of Bryce 3d from Kazaa as a kid. It came loaded with horrible malware but it was my first experience with 3d modelling and playing with Metaballs and materials, shoving the camera inside and then rendering the kaleidoscope of weird reflective patterns was fascinating to me

Somewhere out there in the dark annals of internet history is a Deviantart with my old stuff on it, though probably not anymore

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

followed erindale's simulation nodes tutorial

https://i.imgur.com/kDLiHpp.mp4

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

very nice

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

thanks!

also did 100drips erosion tutorial which uses the buffer trick instead of sim nodes. i did add deposition and rock strata past what the video covered

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fractal friday

https://i.imgur.com/U2Pzvfa.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/4oll3lx.mp4

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

followed entagma's plexus effect video then hosed around a bit

https://i.imgur.com/C9rPCZc.mp4

im too lazy to find a free video host that wont compress it to poo poo, so here's a single frame of sharpness

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

looks cool op. quaternion julia & then mandelbulb?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fart simpson posted:

looks cool op. quaternion julia & then mandelbulb?

yup you got it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fractal friday, a little shakier than i like but :shrug:

https://i.imgur.com/2dfUi6i.mp4

yall better post some stuff because im going to keep bumping this thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just some throw backs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and these are especially vibe

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Trabisnikof posted:

fractal friday, a little shakier than i like but :shrug:

https://i.imgur.com/2dfUi6i.mp4

yall better post some stuff because im going to keep bumping this thread

cool. ive been traveling for a bit over a week but ill get back soon and blend

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I appreciate fractal Friday

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

same. maybe ill join in

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Jenny Agutter posted:

I appreciate fractal Friday

That would require actual math. :negative:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

a simple julia set or something is like middle school math

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bluemillion posted:

you can do like i do and just copy exactly what the youtube video does.

fractals are nice because they’ll always make something pretty

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Trabisnikof posted:

fractals are nice because they’ll always make something pretty

Does this make you a fractal then cause you're always pretty :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBQfIMekNGQ

Last big go on the polish pass, and with that I can finally get into the nitty gritty of filling in all the details: Facial expressions, hand animations, lighting the action, improving the structure of the poses and actions and tidying up some technical rough edges before I move into remodeling and retexturing some assets (Like the car dashboard and controls, the mirror ornament and countless other things) that I made a while back and am less than happy with. You'll notice I've already made the moon less of a nondescript glowy orb and something with a little more jazz:

Old:

New:

I'm already over halfway done with animating the driver's eye movements and facial expressions, so the ball is really rolling for this project to get out of the nitty gritty and into the Fun Bit™ of tarting the scene up and making everything come to life!

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
you've got way less of those 'only possible with CGI' swooping camera movements in that vid, and it looks soooo much better for it!

Your modelling and animation has been solid for ages, but your 'direction' I guess you could call it, camera work and editing and whatnot, has really come on loads the last few vids.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
That's really kind of you to say and I'm glad it came through well, I've really been studying the basics of framing and shots and trying to make the action speak for itself rather than the camera work. It's working out nicely as cuts and tracking cameras are a lot simpler to manage than Seasickness Flying Schizo Camera Mode that I've been wired to use :v:

Now it's the simple matter of going back through the animation and refining all the camera motions that I haven't gotten down yet, but that's what this last phase is all about - letting the animation breathe and getting it looking as good as I can. I really do love doing character animation work but it's a very long and slow process, it feels great to have avenues like modelling and texturing available to me again so I can do other things while refining the nuances some more. Particle effects are what I'm really looking forward to as they're easy to whip up and iterate on but add a bunch of movement and energy to the scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fractal friday????