Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
From what I understand, that's good thing I think? I believe if you had that turned on globally, every app would have access to your clipboard whether you were aware of it or not. That's not a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It used to ask permission on the first paste attempt and the trust the app after that, setting to allow.

Something changed in the recent iOS update and that trust gets broken and the app has to ask permission over and over. Apple confirmed this was unintended behavior and pushed a fix out but I still see it pop up occasionally

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Since there isn’t a way to curate radio stations in Apple Music, is there some way to export a Pandora station (all the thumbs ups) and import it into an Apple Music playlist?

Or maybe get the list out as a text or CSV file that can be python scripted into the iTunes playlist format?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Without much ado posted:

1. Pushing and holding on the space bar, and when the text selection cursor become active
2. ‘Hold’ the shift key and start dragging to enable text selection

If you’re thinking of something different, or already know about this and don’t like it, feel free to ignore.

This does work, thanks, much better than dragging the little markers that’s for sure.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

What are the thread's thoughts on the 13 mini? They're within budget for me, and I've honestly wanted a slightly smaller phone for a few cycles now, since I'm a skinny boy with small pocketed pants. Currently using a pixel 6, but have an iPhone 11 for work so not foreign to iOS. Really do just want a smaller phone, but if the mini isn't the right answer I can live without.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Since there isn’t a way to curate radio stations in Apple Music, is there some way to export a Pandora station (all the thumbs ups) and import it into an Apple Music playlist?

Or maybe get the list out as a text or CSV file that can be python scripted into the iTunes playlist format?

SongShift

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

JohnCompany posted:

What are the thread's thoughts on the 13 mini? They're within budget for me, and I've honestly wanted a slightly smaller phone for a few cycles now, since I'm a skinny boy with small pocketed pants. Currently using a pixel 6, but have an iPhone 11 for work so not foreign to iOS. Really do just want a smaller phone, but if the mini isn't the right answer I can live without.

I love my 13 mini. Perfect size in my hands and my pockets, and after a year of use, the battery still lasts all day. I don’t do anything crazy with it, I’m not using maps all day, but it’s usually an hour or two of podcasts, some Twitter scrolling, and Awful.app, so YMMV.
But for me, two thumbs up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh hell yeah. Thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

JohnCompany posted:

13 Mini is the perfect small phone, it’s only one year old and will be supported for years. If you want a small phone it’s a great buy.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Battery life is no joke on the iPhone 13 mini in my case. I broke my 11 regular and after 3 years the battery was still longer lasting than the mini I got a while ago. It’s 60% after like 3 hours of web and awful.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sounds like you need to get off your phone. The mini is ftw.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

American McGay posted:

Sounds like you need to get off your phone. The mini is ftw.

I like it but this is like Jeffery telling me to get off the computer for Christmas. Just fell to 50% as I was typing. Not good for posting.

E: for real what’s the problem. that’s like a percent a minute. I got background app refresh turned off for most things anyway.

E: down to 47% 4 minutes later despite an Automation that enables low battery mode at 50. If it’s this bad now I can’t imagine using it for more than a year before selling it or something.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 8, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I’m on my phone a ton and while the mini battery life is noticeably worse than the regular models, I’ve never experienced it quite as bad as you’re describing.

The real answer is fast charging. You don’t need a battery that lasts all day, you just need a battery that lasts most of the day and an opportunity to plug your phone in for 5 minutes at some point.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Here’s my chart

Guess it’s time to turn avs off :(

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Turn off the battery percentage.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

Here’s my chart

They're overrated.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

JohnCompany posted:

It’s still a good phone and if you want something mini sized, now’s still a good time. It’s a little bit cheaper and like 98% the same as the 14. You’re only really missing out on a tiny tweak to the camera and the satellite and crash features. The rumor is that there won’t be a new mini phone for a long time if ever, so now’s your chance.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Skeezy posted:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mawarannahr posted:

Here’s my chart

You mean maps and Twitter.

You may want to turn off TruTone, so you can fix the brightness at half or less.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That screenshot is missing the all important chart showing you how many minutes in an hour the phone was in use.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

That screenshot is missing the all important chart showing you how many minutes in an hour the phone was in use.

I’m making 13 posts a day, let’s extrapolate from there and let me keep my dignity

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Skeezy posted:

This is the solution to like 75% of battery life "issues"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

This is the solution to like 75% of battery life "issues"

Could you expand? Not following

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

Could you expand? Not following

Having the phone constantly displaying the battery percentage makes people obsess over the battery percentage. If you turn it off, you aren't aware of minor fluctuations in battery drain.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Having the phone constantly displaying the battery percentage makes people obsess over the battery percentage. If you turn it off, you aren't aware of minor fluctuations in battery drain.

I see. Maybe Apple should do better and try some UX research for a change. It is noticeably considerably less than the iPhone 11 battery though, and I would use that until like 3% remaining.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

I see. Maybe Apple should do better and try some UX research for a change. It is noticeably considerably less than the iPhone 11 battery though, and I would use that until like 3% remaining.

The battery percentage being shown is turned off by default for this exact reason - to prevent users from fretting about something that shouldn't matter much to most users.

The mini has a 2406 mAh battery. Your 11 had a 3110 mAh battery. There's only so much can be done with the mini's footprint, and this is probably one of the reason's they're going to discontinue it later this year.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 9, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

JohnCompany posted:

It’s the best iPhone. I went from a pixel 6 to it and am very happy. It took my eyes a few second to get used to the slower refresh rate but it really doesn’t feel any less smooth. Battery isn’t as good but it should last a day with normal use.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Maximising battery life has always been a high priority for Apple and they cram as much battery in as they possibly can. At the end of the day though a smaller phone will have a smaller battery. If you want a small phone; that’s the tradeoff you have to make. If you want a phone that will still be at 40% after a day of hard use and no charging, a bigger phone with a bigger battery is the tradeoff you have to make.

Or just have an external battery pack, or keep a charger at your desk or something. Charging has become really fast and convenient now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I still can't believe my SE 2022 only has a 2018 mAh battery in it, lol. It's such a small battery, but I regularly get like a little over 6 or 7ish hours of screen on time during my day-to-day usage before I feel like throwing it on one of the many wireless chargers I've got plugged in somewhere -- I still have yet to plug a lightning cable into my SE since I got it on release :haw:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Also, use CarPlay over USB. Not only do you get better sound quality than through Bluetooth, you keep your phone charged throughout the day.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

When I get into my wife’s Suburban, I feel like a caveman having to plug my phone in.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Strong Sauce posted:

how is it that apple won't let you convert a "live" photo into a static photo? you can turn off live but that just makes it so it's not animated.

i took a buncha photos on my trip and i guess i had live turned on but i just ignored it cause i assumed i could just save one photo and convert it to a jpeg or heic but there's no option to do so.

FCKGW posted:

Click the three dots on the top right of the photo and choose Duplicate. You’ll get an option to make a copy as a still photo.

Strong Sauce posted:

oh good there is a way! thanks!

okay so i finally got time to go through my picture and tried to make some of my live photos into static pictures... except there is no actual space difference between the live photo and a static photo. what gives? is it only showing the data for one frame of the live photo and then hiding the space the other photos take up?

or is a live photo still two separate files (the image and then a mov file?) and maybe i need to manually delete it off my phone by plugging it to my laptop/desktop

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there a way to lock the lock screen buttons? I’m currently snowboarding and have the phone in a front pouch, and the camera and flashlight get regularly triggered for some reason. Would be nice if it didn’t.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there a way to lock the lock screen buttons? I’m currently snowboarding and have the phone in a front pouch, and the camera and flashlight get regularly triggered for some reason. Would be nice if it didn’t.

Try looking in Accessibility.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I looked in Accessibility, I have searched a bit before, and I don't think you can. It is really annoying though and have drained my battery a handful of times by accidentally activating the camera.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

nitsuga posted:

I looked in Accessibility, I have searched a bit before, and I don't think you can. It is really annoying though and have drained my battery a handful of times by accidentally activating the camera.

You need an iPod sock

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

tuyop posted:

You need an iPod sock

Honestly, if they released these for iPhones, I'd use that instead of a case.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Bring it back, Apple. Pretty sure it’d only make it worse though, cause I’d fumble with it even more.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They make sock coozies for beer bottles you could probably just use one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Anyone know if it's possible to download email from an iPhone to a PC?

The mailbox is an old exchange activesync account setup in the Apple Mail app. I no longer have access to this email account but I do have access to the emails that were already synced/downloaded to the phone. I want to wipe the phone and give it to someone but before I do that I'd like to get these emails off into a PST file.