Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

watho posted:

but like how often do you find dataminer in game?
a LOT. It's in the Treasure Room pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The last 3 planetarium rooms I got were all Jupiter. I wish there was an easy way to edit item pools.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

watho posted:

i dunno i think it’s pretty reasonable to be mad that a puzzle you designed got completely bypassed. and being mad that he added a single joke item in reference to it is way more petty imo

obviously edmund has made a lot of bad and questionable design decisions but like how often do you find dataminer in game?

extremely too often

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I don't really see how dataminer is worse than 90% of the other active items. Like if i see most of them either they don't do anything useful or i already have a better active i don't want to swap out.

When i see it i give it a pop then put it back. Doesn't seem riskier than eating an unidentified pill.

Like i'm much happier to see it than say the D8 or that plastic bag item.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Mr Phillby posted:

I don't really see how dataminer is worse than 90% of the other active items. Like if i see most of them either they don't do anything useful or i already have a better active i don't want to swap out.

When i see it i give it a pop then put it back. Doesn't seem riskier than eating an unidentified pill.

Like i'm much happier to see it than say the D8 or that plastic bag item.

It is significantly riskier than eating an unidentified pill. The stat increases provided by pills (except for health) are twice the potency of the stat decreases. The stat increases provided by the data miner are equal to its decreases. Furthermore, eating an unidentified pill gives you the advantage of knowing what that pill does. Using the data miner gives you no information about the outcome of future data miner uses.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Ariong posted:

It is significantly riskier than eating an unidentified pill. The stat increases provided by pills (except for health) are twice the potency of the stat decreases. The stat increases provided by the data miner are equal to its decreases. Furthermore, eating an unidentified pill gives you the advantage of knowing what that pill does. Using the data miner gives you no information about the outcome of future data miner uses.
Oh so its like eating the same pill twice got it.

Still not sure why people get so salty about it just don't use it? The treasure pool is the main one ofc theres trash in it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Mr Phillby posted:

that's not how math works

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Issue with the data miner imo is not enough synergy. One of the awesome things about this game is that items vary in quality, but the quality of an item can change depending on the circumstances of your run. The right items and the right know-how can turn a mediocre item into a champion. This is particularly true for active items, where there are a lot that seem mediocre, and are under many circumstances, but figure out how to use them right and they become incredible. However, the data miner has never really had this. For a long time there was no item that made it good and the correct choice was always to skip it or never use it. Boring! Then Repentance came out and now the correct choice is to take it and use it if you have Rock Bottom, otherwise don’t. Boring boring boring!

Mr Phillby posted:

Still not sure why people get so salty about it just don't use it? The treasure pool is the main one ofc theres trash in it.

Well, when it’s a bad effect it’s like eating the same pill twice. When it’s a good effect it’s like only eating one pill. Also, the number of good and bad effects available from the data miner are 50/50, whereas the pill pool bas a bunch of neutral effects and bad effects that can be neutralized by taking them in a safe place. So, to tie back into my earlier point, you can actually learn and get better at taking unidentifiied pills to maximize your chance of a successful run. That’s fun!

Ariong fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 18, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I still hate the dead sea scrolls

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Did they change Lazarus? Got him on a random run and spawned with 2 heart containers and seemed like his extra life gained another charge.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It's been a long rear end time but I'm pretty sure Edmund did actually get mad about the data mining, but the irony was that literally hours later people who hadn't heard about the datamined spoilers had legitimately solved the ARG and got the same result.

Also as an aside Edmund is an actual poo poo because of some pretty horrible shitass "Goals" he put up for people to do on Twitter to add/reveal more cards to add to the BOI cardgame. Some of those "goals" involved permanent tattos, saying/doing something horrible to your parents and recording it to post so you can prove it... the list goes on and the worst part was that people actually completed these goals. He essentially took his clout and instead of maybe doing some silly or funny but harmless stuff with he he goaded people into doing potentially or actual permanent damage to themselves or their relationships.

I was ambivalent before, with a slightly negative view. Now it is very much hate. gently caress Ed.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Did they change Lazarus? Got him on a random run and spawned with 2 heart containers and seemed like his extra life gained another charge.

He can resurrect once every level, and permanently retains some of the stat gains, damage and something else I think.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'll also note that bad pills don't have much of an effect as good pills. If you eat both the good and bad counterpart of the same stat pill, you'll come out with a net positive stat gain, and the bad pill is identified for the rest of the run which can now be easily avoided or maybe saved for some weird strategy.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So I've been playing through Repentance on Switch and earlier I unlocked Greedier Mode and I have to ask this,

What the gently caress did they do to Ultra Greed, his second phase was just a constant barrage of room wide explosions and doors shooting lasers, I got through it as I was playing as Lilith and had a room clearing build, but still, it wasn't very fun.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Judge Tesla posted:

So I've been playing through Repentance on Switch and earlier I unlocked Greedier Mode and I have to ask this,

What the gently caress did they do to Ultra Greed, his second phase was just a constant barrage of room wide explosions and doors shooting lasers, I got through it as I was playing as Lilith and had a room clearing build, but still, it wasn't very fun.

The best thing to do is stick to the corners. No lasers to worry about, you're basically shooting from an adjacent corner, getting it to do that jump attack where it shits bombs, run to the next adjacent corner, repeat.

Ultra Greed is easier than Greed once you get it down.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
played this again after like half a year. in a couple hours got 2 t lost wins and one of them was against delirium, which i only won cause i had 2 extra holy cards because the stupid telefrag moms foot attack is somehow still in the game.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Araxxor posted:

I'll also note that bad pills don't have much of an effect as good pills. If you eat both the good and bad counterpart of the same stat pill, you'll come out with a net positive stat gain, and the bad pill is identified for the rest of the run which can now be easily avoided or maybe saved for some weird strategy.

I feel like pills would be a lot more appealing if the pools always only had one bad pill, plenty of the joke/silly pills, and then a rotating-per-seed number of good pills. It'd be a much more fun gamble if you can chow down knowing that only one of them is going to be the stink-flavor jellybean of the batch. Or at the very goddamn least, let Mom's Purse only drop good pills regardless of the pool.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Black August posted:

I feel like pills would be a lot more appealing if the pools always only had one bad pill, plenty of the joke/silly pills, and then a rotating-per-seed number of good pills. It'd be a much more fun gamble if you can chow down knowing that only one of them is going to be the stink-flavor jellybean of the batch. Or at the very goddamn least, let Mom's Purse only drop good pills regardless of the pool.

Coward

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I eat the pills anyways don’t you accuse out of place

I just want more excitement in my pill gambles

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah Ultra Greed isn't super tough but it's a long fight and kind of boring after the first time. I actually really like the gameplay of Greed mode but I would rather fight (almost) any of the other final bosses at the end.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Always take pills, always go to into curse rooms, always step on switches, always play devil beggars.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I've tried to set up runs to do it but I still have not got 5 GULP pills in a single run but sure do get hundreds of I FOUND PILLS

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I decided to grind through the tougher Tainted characters first (with the occasional switch up, as a treat), so after getting all my marks for Tainted Lost, ???, Forgotten, and Jacob, I thought it would be smooth sailing. No one told me how dumb Tainted Eden was going to be. :mad:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Always take pills, always go to into curse rooms, always step on switches, always play devil beggars.

But never use shell games or slot machines. Too drat slow

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

You have not played Binding of Isaac until you've spent 30 minutes in one arcade

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

ArfJason posted:

played this again after like half a year. in a couple hours got 2 t lost wins and one of them was against delirium, which i only won cause i had 2 extra holy cards because the stupid telefrag moms foot attack is somehow still in the game.

I really hate Delirium and "it's supposed to be glitchy" is such a lame excuse for its poo poo

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Color Printer posted:

You have not played Binding of Isaac until you've spent 30 minutes in one arcade

those nightmares ended with the flash version

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Brosnan posted:

I decided to grind through the tougher Tainted characters first (with the occasional switch up, as a treat), so after getting all my marks for Tainted Lost, ???, Forgotten, and Jacob, I thought it would be smooth sailing. No one told me how dumb Tainted Eden was going to be. :mad:

I really wish there was a consistent way to get birthright, because the answer to this is "find birthright in a shop, intentionally reroll until you get something really good, then buy birthright

also because I really want to play around with judas new book of belial but I know I'd just never see it in the shop

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

egg tats posted:

I really wish there was a consistent way to get birthright, because the answer to this is "find birthright in a shop, intentionally reroll until you get something really good, then buy birthright

also because I really want to play around with judas new book of belial but I know I'd just never see it in the shop

Birthright has definitely been helpful, but I also generally don't hate Eden as much as I did before because I have developed a Buddhist sense of detachment from my item build. Earthly possessions will come and go; they do not define my character. Also, as long as you have a couple things from good pools, you might just get rerolled into some other busted poo poo anyway. Mother/Delirium/Mega-Satan didn't end up being that bad.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Black August posted:

those nightmares ended with the flash version
I have so many afterbirth plus memories where after finding an arcade with 2 purple slots every subsequent room became a jiggling nightmare of coins hearts pills and cards, where i'd spend an hour on caves 2 juggling blank card jera charges and rerolling all the active items in the restocked to hell and back shop only for the game to crash and be put back at the start of the floor my nonsense undone.

But yeah the fast slot machines are nice. The coin game guy is still way too slow though. Just give me the scatole already

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

these motherfuckers somehow managed to fart-push me into some rocks and i can't get out lmao. that's a new one for me

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

these motherfuckers somehow managed to fart-push me into some rocks and i can't get out lmao. that's a new one for me

lol

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

DontMockMySmock posted:

Quit game and reload

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Did something change recently with the frequency of saving? Up until recently if you force quit the game it'd put you back at the beginning of the floor or where ever you last suspended the game by exiting to the menu, but now it seems to always put you back to the start of the room you were in.

Honestly probably a good thing since I would sometimes abuse that with t lost runs that were ultimately not viable than ended up limping along for far longer than they should have, to the point of being a complete slog

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Black August posted:

But never use shell games or slot machines. Too drat slow

Shell game is way too slow. I'll play slots if I need pickups but they do get tedious.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I'm kind of surprised that R Key still works with ? Card. It totally breaks the game. I'm on my 3rd reset and still have the R Key and a ? Card. I have Restock and Keeper's Head so it seems like with decent luck I could keep farming ? Cards from shops for quite awhile before breaking the streak.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I should probably note that I'm on a fresh save file with only a few mom kills. The card pool would probably be too diluted otherwise. I'm on my 4th reset and just got another ? Card so that's at 6 resets total if I don't find another one.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I made a new save file in commemoration of finally buying this game on Steam to play on the deck.

Got about 150 unlocks after a couple days of playing. I must say, something about Repentance feels a lot more annoying than Afterbirth+ with some of the rebalancing they've done. Also, the game still suffers from the problem of enemies having way too much health on early floors. I would have thought they would rebalance it a bit to make floors 1 and 2 a bit easier at this point. Sometimes it's breezy, other times, you walk into a room with like 10 enemies that take 8 hits each and spawn minions at random or on death. Sometimes I just feel like resetting a run a few rooms in which is not a good way to play. Still having fun, though.

Any Repentance exclusives I should try to unlock early? Already got a lot of the basic OP stuff unlocked like the better runes, knife, chaos card, death's touch, d6. Not sure what I should focus on next.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

BabyRyoga posted:

Any Repentance exclusives I should try to unlock early? Already got a lot of the basic OP stuff unlocked like the better runes, knife, chaos card, death's touch, d6. Not sure what I should focus on next.

I would shoot to unlock all runes, Repentance switched things up so it's no longer a good idea to game the unlocks and just get the good ones. Now there are "rune shards" that can drop in place of locked runes which are basically shittier unlabeled versions of any given rune. Unlocking all of them makes the shards stop showing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BabyRyoga posted:

Bethany (Beat It Lives in hard mode with Lazarus without resurrecting)
Divine Intervention (Beat Hush with Bethany)
Book of Virtue (Beat Isaac with Bethany)
Star of Bethlehem (Beat Delirium with Bethany)
Alt Path (Beat Hush 3 times)
Revelation (Beat Mother with Bethany)
Crane Game (Beat Mega Satan with Tainted Samson)
Glitched Crown (Beat the Beast with Tainted Isaac)
Jacob & Esau (Beat Mother)
Birthright (Beat ??? with Jacob & Esau)
Stairway (Beat Isaac with Jacob & Esau)
C Section (Beat The Beast with Lilith)

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 23, 2023