Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Spiggy posted:

I'm probably not the most sane person with regards to espresso workflow as I use a hand grinder, but I went from a Silvia to DE1 w/ an Acaia Lunar and it has been a huge upgrade for my workflow. Being able to auto-adjust steam time via DSX, stop-by-weight via bluetooth, and the one touch flush have helped my morning and post-work routine quite a bit.

The scale stop by weight was confusing me at first since you have to up the default max water ML or it'll never reach the stop weight.

hypnophant posted:

I went from a silvia to a lelit mara for literally a month to the decent. The decent doesn’t have to be so science-projecty once you get a reasonable workflow nailed down, though it never seems to become a completely tinkering-free experience. I recommend finding one type of profile that works for you and sticking with it; you can get real deep in the weeds matching profiles to coffees but I find i can get tasty results out of any coffee with a flow profile with basic preinfusion so that’s what i stick with, mostly only tweaking the input dose, grind setting, and output weight to dial in. I did switch to the cafe skin, which does a better job being one-touch for most things and hiding options I don’t need to touch most of the time, but that was once I had a stable workflow.

It’s definitely very much a hacker’s/hobbyist’s machine instead of an appliance, though. Now that LM has a machine in the same price range, I don’t know if i’d be willing to recommend the decent to someone who doesn’t really want to get stuck in at the deep end.

I've been using the gentle and sweet as a starting profile with the temp raised since I only drink light roasts and I started figuring out how it is meant to be dialed in this morning (yes, I am cracked out now), seems it wants a few steps coarser than I use on my Vetrano 2b Evo. The plotted target weight seems to be way under and probably means nothing in all reality since it doesn't lead to the target weight based on the time cut for the profile, so I started ignoring that and basing my grind on my target weight for time after preinfusion. With the Vetrano I aim for 18g/36g in 30s total which usually results in first drop at 8s.

I have a couple shots here that I'd call 'dialed in', though the shot time includes preinfusion on the visualizer.coffee site.

Ilse Kenya Ichuga AA
https://visualizer.coffee/shots/c5d9c949-0ecd-4dc9-a410-4e3535e24cfc

Touchy Ethiopia Hamasho
https://visualizer.coffee/shots/ba8a91b2-247a-4349-a9fb-8950dfe86a6e

I think other than figuring out the software quirks my main complaint is that the drip tray and water tray are tiny, I have my Vetrano draining to a 2.5g bucket and the water reservoir is large enough to handle ~4-6 drinks a day for a week or more. It is just mildly annoying since my coffee setup is across the room from the kitchen sink and everything has to be moved around to get the trays out.

sellouts posted:

The biggest thing I did to my DE to make better shots with my niche was to use the Extractamundo Dos preset off of the Diaspora.

All of the shots included on the machine by default didn’t work for me.

Thank you, I'll try downloading this profile too.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I got a cheap Gaggia Classic. The portafilter sprayed coffee everywhere, and on thread advice I ordered and installed a new silicone gasket. Now it sprays out the right hand portafilter channel. Happens with standard espresso grinds or (just for testing purposes) percolator grinds. Anything I can do to test or fix? FWIW I didn't really do a hardcore cleaning, just took off the shower screen, shower head, old gasket, rubbed in the old gasket housing with a moist paper towel, installed the new gasket chamfer side up, then rotated in the portafilter three or four times to seat it before reassembly.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MJP posted:

I got a cheap Gaggia Classic. The portafilter sprayed coffee everywhere, and on thread advice I ordered and installed a new silicone gasket. Now it sprays out the right hand portafilter channel. Happens with standard espresso grinds or (just for testing purposes) percolator grinds. Anything I can do to test or fix? FWIW I didn't really do a hardcore cleaning, just took off the shower screen, shower head, old gasket, rubbed in the old gasket housing with a moist paper towel, installed the new gasket chamfer side up, then rotated in the portafilter three or four times to seat it before reassembly.

First grind the coffee way finer so you can rule out 'not ground fine enough' as a problem. You're tamping and everything right?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

MJP posted:

When you say that coffee is leaking out of the portafilter do you mean channeling? It would look something like that little stream of coffee in the back of this image.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Niyqor posted:

Looks like Fellow is coming out with a new grinder that does espresso called the Opus.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/food/a42409254/fellow-opus-grinder/

40 mm conical burrs, anti-static technology, $195.

I have the Ode 2 and really love the anti-static feature. Really nice that they are keeping that in the Opus. I didn't realize the Ode 2 had that until after I ordered mine and it is one of the things that really makes me pleased I waited for it.

Well poo poo, I just ordered a $140 J-Max manual grinder after picking up a Bambino. Maybe I'll cancel my order and wait for this to come out in the next month.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 9, 2023

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Absolutely do not manual grind your espresso

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

When you say that coffee is leaking out of the portafilter do you mean channeling? It would look something like that little stream of coffee in the back of this image.

I think they've got a dual spout portafilter and the flow is so much it's pouring out one side.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm just going to keep using our Encore+ (gasp!) for espresso until that Opus comes out. A small single dose grinder just for espresso is perfect for our use case.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Mu Zeta posted:

I will continue to hand grind my espresso until the Acaia Orbit or P64 become easy to buy.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mu Zeta posted:

Absolutely continue to manual grind if you're budget and space conscious and can spare 30-60 seconds per shot :)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sure and add "you hate yourself" to that list.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

high quality manual grinders are great for espresso. especially if you have a hand drill

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hand drill sounds good actually.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've been hand grinding my daily espresso for nearly six years now

but i do also hate myself

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

First grind the coffee way finer so you can rule out 'not ground fine enough' as a problem. You're tamping and everything right?

Yep, it's 7g in a single shot pressurized basket. The tamper isn't the exact same diameter as the basket, so there's maybe like 2-3mm on each side that isn't tamped fully down. I'm not sure if the tamper in question is stock to the Gaggia but it definitely isn't 58mm wide. I'm not really tamping down hardcore - firm handshake levels of pressure at most. Should I go full ham and add some more tamping pressure?

My next attempt will be the finest possible grind that my Secura can do, which I think is darn near Turkish. I have a Mignon coming in this week so that might help permutate if it's a grind problem.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's a high-velocity squirt out the right spout of the two-spout portafilter. I'll get some video next attempt.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MJP posted:

Yep, it's 7g in a single shot pressurized basket. The tamper isn't the exact same diameter as the basket, so there's maybe like 2-3mm on each side that isn't tamped fully down. I'm not sure if the tamper in question is stock to the Gaggia but it definitely isn't 58mm wide. I'm not really tamping down hardcore - firm handshake levels of pressure at most. Should I go full ham and add some more tamping pressure?

My next attempt will be the finest possible grind that my Secura can do, which I think is darn near Turkish. I have a Mignon coming in this week so that might help permutate if it's a grind problem.

It's a high-velocity squirt out the right spout of the two-spout portafilter. I'll get some video next attempt.

Yeah do your best to very firmly tamp the entire area. If your grind is fine enough you don't need the pressurized basket. Do you have other baskets? If you have a basket for a double (around 18g dose) that might be a good place to start.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

If you really have a 4-6mm undersized tamper that's the main issue here, right? I agree going up to a double shot dose is a good idea, but without the whole puck being tamped it's still gonna be a helluva donut extraction at best!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

VelociBacon posted:

I think they've got a dual spout portafilter and the flow is so much it's pouring out one side.

MJP posted:

Ah I see what you are talking about now.

I'd 2nd the recommendation to go up to a double shot basket. Single shot baskets have a curved style shape which changes the flow of the shot inside the portafilter. If you want a loser dosage portafilter you will probably need to buy a vst or ims one.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm just going by the baskets and filter that came with it - I was a bit sticker-shocked by bottomless filter prices and didn't want to jump into a tamper unless it was really necessary. Kinda gun-shy spending $80-$100 on parts for something that only worked once with the stock components (which is two double-shot baskets, one single-shot, all pressurized). Plus I was using a single shot just to rule out the possibility of the narrow tamper impacting more coffee at once,

Is there such a thing as a basic bottomless portafilter for a Gaggia Classic that doesn't cost like $60 and doesn't suck? Some seller on Walmart's marketplace has one for $13 but I'm always iffy about Chinesium happening. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm not sure tamping makes a gigantic difference when using pressurized baskets. Does it always come out the same side and not the other regardless of which basket you use? Is it possible the portafilter spout is clogged?

I wouldn't go much cheaper than the $60 Gaggia bottomless portafilter. Real ones are expensive, and there are a lot of junk accessories out there that will cause more problems than they solve.

If you go the route of an unpressurized basket, you absolutely will need a better tamper. The plastic thing it comes with is a piece of poo poo. You'll probably want one of those 3d printed WDT tools from Etsy and maybe do the 9bar spring mod.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Niyqor posted:

Looks like Fellow is coming out with a new grinder that does espresso called the Opus.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/food/a42409254/fellow-opus-grinder/

40 mm conical burrs, anti-static technology, $195.

I have the Ode 2 and really love the anti-static feature. Really nice that they are keeping that in the Opus. I didn't realize the Ode 2 had that until after I ordered mine and it is one of the things that really makes me pleased I waited for it.

I wonder how this will work for pourover grind sizes. I have no intention of getting into espresso but I've been eyeing the Ode 2 because I like natural process Ethiopian beans a lot and my Encore with the M2 burrs just isn't cutting it fines-wise. If this Opus thing is consistent at pourover range it's like $150 cheaper than the Ode 2.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are the fancy wood handle portafilters from Etsy sellers crappy or worth having if they're around the same $60ish range? A little vanity never hurt if the cost is the same but I'd rather not buy crap, I can live with black plastic if need be.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I'm going to start taking a mug to work (Kinto, probably) so I can take my time enjoying a proper cup of coffee instead of downing a capsule shot before walking out the door. What quantity do people usually brew? I should have enough for all day if I buy the 500ml mug and fill it up, but how will the coffee taste after 6 or 7 hours sitting in there?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

MJP posted:

Are the fancy wood handle portafilters from Etsy sellers crappy or worth having if they're around the same $60ish range? A little vanity never hurt if the cost is the same but I'd rather not buy crap, I can live with black plastic if need be.

I bought a bottomless porta filter from Shades of Coffee UK when I got my PID kit for my Gaggia. It was like 30 bucks. It’s built really well, and feels much nicer than the Gaggia porta filter.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Portafilters aren't going to fail and ruin your life like a cheap version of another component, usually.

e: I still think get a normal double basket, grind super fine, see if you still get weird flow.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 9, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MJP posted:

Yeah, I'm just going by the baskets and filter that came with it - I was a bit sticker-shocked by bottomless filter prices and didn't want to jump into a tamper unless it was really necessary. Kinda gun-shy spending $80-$100 on parts for something that only worked once with the stock components (which is two double-shot baskets, one single-shot, all pressurized). Plus I was using a single shot just to rule out the possibility of the narrow tamper impacting more coffee at once,

Is there such a thing as a basic bottomless portafilter for a Gaggia Classic that doesn't cost like $60 and doesn't suck? Some seller on Walmart's marketplace has one for $13 but I'm always iffy about Chinesium happening. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Are you sure both double baskets are pressurized? It’d be weird to have 2 pressurized baskets. Do you have a photo of all the baskets you have?

Don’t buy a portafilter until you get this worked out. The portafilter does exactly 0 here.

Use the double basket, dose 18g, Grind super super fine, and literally tamp as hard as you can. You can undertamp but you literally can’t overtamp.

Even if the tamper is undersized, you should still get enough force to flatten the whole bottom of the puck. If it’s that undersized, I would tamp hard on each edge. Puck won’t be as level, but it’s better than being untampped.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

seravid posted:

I'm going to start taking a mug to work (Kinto, probably) so I can take my time enjoying a proper cup of coffee instead of downing a capsule shot before walking out the door. What quantity do people usually brew? I should have enough for all day if I buy the 500ml mug and fill it up, but how will the coffee taste after 6 or 7 hours sitting in there?

Get the Zojirushi thermos and enjoy burning your tongue on coffee that's still too hot after sitting on your desk for an entire work day

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

seravid posted:

I do 350ml.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Thumbs up for Airscape containers.

I held off on my normal beans since Christmas when I was gifted two bags of coffee.

Despite handing out bags of light to medium roast beans to these individuals, making it known to at least one of them that's what I prefer, they seem to think I'm into pre ground dark roasts. One was Starbucks awful, another was only ok.

After finishing up the bags yesterday, I was very much looking forward to my now 2 week sealed beans. A satisfying hiss and the coffee tasted just great.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I'm trying to up my coffee game from grocery store whole bean (usually Eight O'Clock or Dunkin), so I'm looking for a place from which to order roasted beans on a regular basis. I'm in the southeastern US and in a small market, and I don't really have local options. Any recs on vendors/roasters (maybe regional?) that I can check out?

I've been using the same Capresso Infinity grinder for almost nine years, and brew with a Cuisinart 12 cup drip machine. I recently bought an electric kettle so I can more easily make single cups using my Aeropress. We go through about a pound of beans per week, maybe a little more. How much should I be buying per order to balance freshness with shipping costs? TIA.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been buying from this local roaster for like a year now and the coffees are great.

https://birdandbearcoffee.com/collections/subscription/products/dealers-choice-roasted-coffee?variant=34938819969185

$27 and free shipping for 2lbs of coffee.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Mu Zeta posted:

I've been buying from this local roaster for like a year now and the coffees are great.

https://birdandbearcoffee.com/collections/subscription/products/dealers-choice-roasted-coffee?variant=34938819969185

$27 and free shipping for 2lbs of coffee.

Cool beans! Lol just a little coffee pun. I ordered a couple of 1# bags to try out. Thanks for the rec- more are welcomed, of course.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Easychair Bootson posted:

Cool beans! Lol just a little coffee pun. I ordered a couple of 1# bags to try out. Thanks for the rec- more are welcomed, of course.

Try the goon roaster. Even before the discount, his prices are absolutely excellent for what you get.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594506&perpage=40&noseen=1

Also, don’t buy too much coffee right now. You don’t want to be brewing coffee that was roasted more than 2 months ago. That 90% of the reason grocery store beans are gross, is they’re usually 6 months + old.

Also consider upgrading your grinder. It’ll make the next biggest difference after the bean upgrade.

Encore seems to be on sale for $118 at most places, which is an incredible price. There’s nothing even close to this grinder at about $100, let alone the $170 it usually goes for.

Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder (Black) https://a.co/d/cBq6y4e

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

hypnophant posted:

I went from a silvia to a lelit mara for literally a month to the decent. The decent doesn’t have to be so science-projecty once you get a reasonable workflow nailed down, though it never seems to become a completely tinkering-free experience. I recommend finding one type of profile that works for you and sticking with it; you can get real deep in the weeds matching profiles to coffees but I find i can get tasty results out of any coffee with a flow profile with basic preinfusion so that’s what i stick with, mostly only tweaking the input dose, grind setting, and output weight to dial in. I did switch to the cafe skin, which does a better job being one-touch for most things and hiding options I don’t need to touch most of the time, but that was once I had a stable workflow.

It’s definitely very much a hacker’s/hobbyist’s machine instead of an appliance, though. Now that LM has a machine in the same price range, I don’t know if i’d be willing to recommend the decent to someone who doesn’t really want to get stuck in at the deep end.

Slightly concerned with the deep end of the decent. I don't have any espresso experience so I guess I'll be jumping headfirst into the neverending void of profiles. What is the LM alternative that you would recommend to the decent?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Are you sure both double baskets are pressurized? It’d be weird to have 2 pressurized baskets. Do you have a photo of all the baskets you have?

Don’t buy a portafilter until you get this worked out. The portafilter does exactly 0 here.

Use the double basket, dose 18g, Grind super super fine, and literally tamp as hard as you can. You can undertamp but you literally can’t overtamp.

Even if the tamper is undersized, you should still get enough force to flatten the whole bottom of the puck. If it’s that undersized, I would tamp hard on each edge. Puck won’t be as level, but it’s better than being untampped.

Here's what I have for baskets: https://imgur.com/a/LAcBWyp

If I do 18g at finest possible grind on the double shot baskets, I have way more grinds than will fit. I level off the excess, tamp as hard as I can on all edges, and pull shots. I get a tiny little squirt but then it comes down the portafilter spout as normal. It takes maybe 40 seconds to get 36g liquid out.

If I do 8g on the single shot I get a squirt out both sides of the filter, going maybe 6-7 inches to the sides of the machine.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MJP posted:

If I do 18g at finest possible grind on the double shot baskets, I have way more grinds than will fit. I level off the excess, tamp as hard as I can on all edges, and pull shots. I get a tiny little squirt but then it comes down the portafilter spout as normal. It takes maybe 40 seconds to get 36g liquid out.

If I do 8g on the single shot I get a squirt out both sides of the filter, going maybe 6-7 inches to the sides of the machine.

You shouldn’t be getting any spurt and then normal flow.

Can you take a video of the shot being pulled with the double and the above method? It’s really quite hard to tell based on text exactly what it going on. Try to take an image of the tamped puck prior to inserting the portafilter into the machine too.

Also, It’s hard to tell because .jpeg, but those double baskets look like maybe slight different size? Capacity of the standard gaggia double is 14-16 grams, and if one of slighter bigger it might be a 16-18 gram basket. They also look clogged but again .jpeg.

One thing that’s complicated about 14-16 gram baskets is they are tiny. You can generally only get about 12g into them without an extra tool or careful prep. To get 16g (or more) into that basket you need to either pour grounds a little at a time and lightly tamp each pour to fit, then full tamp on the end or purchase something called a dosing funnel or dosing ring

58mm Espresso Dosing Funnel FOR Breville Rancilio Gaggia Bottomless portafilter Coffee Maker portafilter Coffee Powder Dosing Ring Compatible with All 58mm Espresso Portafilter (Stainless) https://a.co/d/6K3caj7

You can also make one out of a paper or plastic cup, or 3D print.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Furious Lobster posted:

Slightly concerned with the deep end of the decent. I don't have any espresso experience so I guess I'll be jumping headfirst into the neverending void of profiles. What is the LM alternative that you would recommend to the decent?

https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/product/linea-micra/?attribute_pa_option=stainless-steel

Also, I've decided to keep my DE1 after doing some back to back tests with my Vetrano 2b Evo. I'll figure out solutions for the water tank and drip tray gripes on my own.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

MJP posted:

Yeah those are all pressurized baskets. Are you saying you are getting water squirting out from the group head and around where the portafilter locks in to the machine? If so, that could be a bad group gasket, a very dirty group gasket, or potentially just not locking in the portafilter hard enough. I get a trickle out from around the gasket occasionally, and usually that means its been too long since I backflushed and cleaned the machine.

As Pilfered mentioned, a video would be helpful in diagnosing the issue.

Edit: Yeah looking at your previous post it sounds like a gasket issue. Also the portafilter should be locked in at pretty much 90 degrees straight out. I think the 2015 doesn't have a 3 way solenoid valve right? You might need to just get in there and scrub the gasket with a toothbrush as best you can if you don't have a group brush.

You probably are grinding a little too fine if it takes 40 seconds for 36g out on 18g of coffee. Generally you want 2 to 1 out in about 30 seconds from when you start the pump.
Unpressurized baskets are more forgiving on how fine you need to grind.

Bandire fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 10, 2023

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

You're not supposed to use espresso grind with pressurized baskets, right? Like I thought they're designed to adapt coarser grounds like you might get from a supermarket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Not going to edit a fourth time. This gasket is what I ended up getting to replace the original junk rubber gasket. The 8.5mm one says it is supposed to work with the Gaggia, but the portafilter wouldn't lock in all the way to 90 with that one. https://www.wholelattelove.com/products/caffewerks-silicone-group-gasket-73-x-57-x-8mm