Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you're pretty much supposed to do multiple Mutually Assured Destruction resets first before dicking with space, in order to build up a plasmid bank (prestige currency that gives production/storage bonuses) and buy some useful permanent upgrades (e.g. random positive traits, faster craftsmen, etc)

you also build up mastery by getting achievments (such as "complete MAD with race 1", "complete MAD with race 2" etc), which also boosts your production

no hard or fast rules as to when to go to space other than "maybe think about trying it once you hit the plasmid softcap of 250 and you don't have anything else immediately affordable to buy with CRISPR". that will still probably feel too early, but you'll progress a bit further and get a sense of how much more MADding you need to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Have you done any MAD resets? If so, how many plasmids do you have?

If you have more than ~300 then you’ll want to build a supercollider or two and recognize that the game slows down a lot in space.

If you’re not at the soft cap for plasmids, do a few MAD resets to exceed it (starts at 250) and maybe pick up a few upgrades with plasmids once you’ve sequenced your genome.

If you don’t know what a MAD reset it, you’ll want to look around in the tabs to do that. It should be under Military I think these days.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

hello friends i have been playing evolve idle and i feel like im stuck at the space age.

i'm some fungus guys (molding) and im at the point where i have like 140k knowledge and the rest of the techs are at like 160 or require a ludicrous amount of materials. idk if i am missing something or if i just need to spend 4 days waiting to make some gps satellites

This is a 0 star run right? Make sure you've done a few MAD runs for the plasmids/mastery so you have a nice juicy production bonus to work off of. I think for me I did around 10 MAD resets, one of them 4 star (Valdi challenge) before I ran off to bioseed the first time.

Otherwise, you should leverage the market to get the materials you are missing. You'll make more money than you could ever spend in a 0 star so use it for those low yield goods like alloys and especially iridium. Build the ARPA projects. Supercolliders raise your science and they aren't too tough to make. It's easier to unify via buying off the civs and for that you need like a 5 million reserve which is easier to get if you build stock markets.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ty friends i had not done any MAD resets, for some reason i had figured that was like the 'bad reset' option and there would be a good prestige coming up. i now have 110 plasmids and am back in the stone age.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

tbh I feel you, idle games tend to lean towards "reset at the first chance you get" or "do literally everything possible before reset" with pretty much no middle ground, and it's hard to tell which one's which.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is there any way to restart NGU Idle without dumping your AP purchases?

GWD
Jul 11, 2022
Hi! So I'm working on my idler https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017479 and one of the things I'm thinking about is determinism in the numbers going up. Do they need to be deterministic?

For part of the combat, I have skills on players and NPCs, and you spend experience on those skills, skills can fail, or can succeed since they're resisted usually by what you're attacking. But there's also non-combat skills. Like a farmer might have a farming skill.

If a farm gives 5 grain every 15 seconds, and a farmer has a skill, should it always modify the farm by the same way? IE: The farmer's skill is 10, so it gives a 10% bonus. Or should it vary the way that skills work in combat?

I feel that part of the contract in an idler is the determinism in the upgrades. I'm making 100 grain a second now, I click three times I'm going to be making 125 grain a second. I can go away for an hour and come back knowing I'll have 450,000 grain. If I have more or less I don't know it'd land the same way.

What does the thread feel?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
If the randomness isn't adding anything, there's no reason to have it. If the randomness is swingy enough that I can afk for an hour and come back to wildly different results, it'd be annoying. Using your numbers, like, coming back to 445k or 455k would be just fine, there's some variance, sure, I don't mind, but 500 or 300 and I'd be tilted either way. Beyond that, uh, no real opinion.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think in terms of secondary resources, like rare drops or finds, that variance adds some valuable gameplay friction, but if you're dealing in primary resources that the game is built around regularly generating and consuming - like food, or building materials - then that friction becomes undesirable as it becomes hard to make plans about how to spend it when you don't know for sure what you'll have when.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Counterpoint: the random thing in Evolve (getting soul gems) is far and away the worst part of the game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Soul Gems are so bad that by far the best late game strat is maximizing their output over everything else.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I think if a skill goes off frequently, and you're dealing in double digit percentages, it's probably fine. the statistical variation will mean after I wake up I'll have about that percentage of the thing. it's the sub 1% chance a thing will happen poo poo where it gets super loving annoying, especially when it's not automated in any way

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I assume the skill chance will go up over time as well, correct? That tends to work out fine anyways, as it goes from a nice bonus that happens occasionally to something that happens reliably.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I think in general in idlers the idea of randomization is used mostly for things like gear drops or what enemy shows up or what kind of bonus you are offered to buy. you want to have things that accumulate slowly but steadily, or that "grow" and you can nab em for a big payoff once they're done, because the best part of playing is having a plan and looking forward to the when, not the what. if you can't plan, it's hard to know when to check and it's not very rewarding when you come back to spend what you got. the genre is for spreadsheet nerds, after all

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

should i spend any of my plasmids in evolve on the crispr upgrades? I have 110 and idk if i am better off holding onto them for the production bonus

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Save to 250 (the soft cap without the second prestige currency) and then start using them on crispr upgrades.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The first cost creep reduction only costs 25. I'd pick up that at least since the bonus difference in plasmids is negligible.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

At least when I was starting out, I kinda slowly built up to 250 by spending some plasmids on upgrades (but always less than what I was making from the current reset). Can't tell you if that's optimal or not but upgrades are basically free dopamine buttons.

GWD
Jul 11, 2022

Arzaac posted:

I assume the skill chance will go up over time as well, correct? That tends to work out fine anyways, as it goes from a nice bonus that happens occasionally to something that happens reliably.

Yes, the way the system works is you can only gain experience from doing the dungeons/combat part of the game. Experience is only used on the RPG mechanics of skills/stats. Each skill has a max based on the RPG level which is based on the total experience you've gained. So essentially you can cap some skills each level, but you should hit the next level before you could cap all skills. There should be enough bonuses from items and buildings where a small difference in the base skill will have a large difference in the final skill. IE: If you end up with +15000% to a skill from your items/buildings, then the skill you maxxed each level being at 200 vs the one that you couldn't max at 155 is a big deal.

My intent now is that you have limited slots for NPC followers that share/gain their own xp and that can affect the non-dungeon part of the game as well.

Feline Mind Meld posted:

I think in general in idlers the idea of randomization is used mostly for things like gear drops or what enemy shows up or what kind of bonus you are offered to buy. you want to have things that accumulate slowly but steadily, or that "grow" and you can nab em for a big payoff once they're done, because the best part of playing is having a plan and looking forward to the when, not the what. if you can't plan, it's hard to know when to check and it's not very rewarding when you come back to spend what you got. the genre is for spreadsheet nerds, after all

Yah there's already definitely the concept that "You complete this dungeon you are guaranteed at least these resources/things and also a spin from the wheel!" One of the first uses for that for example is the gear from a windmill is a guaranteed boss drop. Each time you want to build a new windmill you need to clear that dungeon.

In the end, I made this system so that it's literally just dragging something into the skill to pick one vs the other, so I can either split test based on two buildings or have it work one way then swap it to the other in the next build for all skills.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
The best thing I've seen lately for low odd things (afaik this is a recent trend? Curious if anyone's seen this in a game more than several years old) is pity mechanics where most people are going to get the drop in the time period you want them to get it, but you put a hard ceiling on the amount of time someone is trying for it and just give them the drop with 100% after x time/attempts. You don't even have to explicitly call it out either, though people will probably figure it out, especially if it's far enough into the curve of a probability chart.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I like it when a mechanic starts random but eventually you can automate it. Like in Kittens game, starcharts and blueprints are left to chance but it isn't long until you can make them yourself slowly, and eventually en masse. I don't know if soul gems in Evolve end up that way but I hope so. I save edit myself a bunch of them when I get tired of waiting.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

SettingSun posted:

I like it when a mechanic starts random but eventually you can automate it. Like in Kittens game, starcharts and blueprints are left to chance but it isn't long until you can make them yourself slowly, and eventually en masse. I don't know if soul gems in Evolve end up that way but I hope so. I save edit myself a bunch of them when I get tired of waiting.

There's a late game automated way of generating soul gems but it's still quite slow and only a supplement for normal patrolling.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Maybe having randomness but having an upgrade path that reduces the scale of the randomness would be a worthwhile mechanic to explore. It starts out swingy but the bottom end can be raised as you progress.

GWD
Jul 11, 2022

Slickdrac posted:

The best thing I've seen lately for low odd things (afaik this is a recent trend? Curious if anyone's seen this in a game more than several years old) is pity mechanics where most people are going to get the drop in the time period you want them to get it, but you put a hard ceiling on the amount of time someone is trying for it and just give them the drop with 100% after x time/attempts. You don't even have to explicitly call it out either, though people will probably figure it out, especially if it's far enough into the curve of a probability chart.

I came up with a design for a research system around that, but don't think it's appropriate for this game. Essentially each time research ticks there's an increasing chance that you'll make the discovery. maybe the first tick it's 0.01%, the next time it's 0.02%, 10 ticks later it's 1%, another 10 ticks it's 1.5%, eventually it's 99.9999999999999% The idea being that research is inspiration and maybe you get the spark or you don't, you can't place it on a map.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Slickdrac posted:

It's in FAPI, which dropped last year. Anything with an exceedingly low drop chance (so Pets, Worms, and Worm Larva) have a pity that's set at 2x the drop rate; so if it's got a 2% chance, you'll get it in 100 rolls guaranteed. This also updates whenever you get an upgrade that increases the drop chance.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GWD posted:

I came up with a design for a research system around that, but don't think it's appropriate for this game. Essentially each time research ticks there's an increasing chance that you'll make the discovery. maybe the first tick it's 0.01%, the next time it's 0.02%, 10 ticks later it's 1%, another 10 ticks it's 1.5%, eventually it's 99.9999999999999% The idea being that research is inspiration and maybe you get the spark or you don't, you can't place it on a map.

That's actually a really neat system that I've seen used in slot machines.

Basically, if you see a machine with a progressive jackpot that says "Guaranteed to hit by $1000" then it's using a similar algorithm.

It's comparable to a bin with 100000 envelopes, only one that's a winner, and they're drawn without replacement. The first draw is 1 in 100k, and once there's only 2 left it's a 50/50 shot, after which it's 100%

Probability wise, it's 1 in 50k overall, but with less volatility.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I tried getting into Antimatter Dimensions again with the big update but Eternity is just soooo loving boring

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

GrossMurpel posted:

I tried getting into Antimatter Dimensions again with the big update but Eternity is just soooo loving boring

It's slow in parts and requires a bunch of periodic grinding but it really opens up in the Ceslestial phase. But there is a lot of lovely RNG nonsense to work through there. It'll get better once people have developed some more optimal paths and guides through the "too many choices, only a handful will actually be useful" areas.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

It's slow in parts and requires a bunch of periodic grinding but it really opens up in the Ceslestial phase. But there is a lot of lovely RNG nonsense to work through there. It'll get better once people have developed some more optimal paths and guides through the "too many choices, only a handful will actually be useful" areas.

Not even that far in, I'm at like 40 eternities

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

GrossMurpel posted:

Not even that far in, I'm at like 40 eternities

Once you unlock the Automator and get the right perks realities speed way up. The achievement perks are important for that as are the ones that auto buy time theorems and unlock dilitation. But yeah the manual grind to that point sucks. Afterwards there are luck based time walls but it can mostly be automated so it turns back into an idle game where you can optimize a bit by being active.

If you're at 40 realities you should be close to that point. I'm kind of close to the bleeding edge, up to celestial 5 or 6, so I haven't had the benefit of good strategies having been figured out by smarter / more obsessive people.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Eternities, not Realities. :v:

But yeah the early Eternity phase is kind of a slog. It gets better as you go, though.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Is there any way to restart NGU Idle without dumping your AP purchases?

A bit late to this, but maybe asking 4G nicely here or on Discord? Not sure how much help can be given though but worth a shot he's a nice guy.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I think I'm just about done with Theresmore. Got all the achievements that aren't marked as impossible in the latest battle calculator, and only a smattering of legacy perks left to obtain. I hope they keep developing it, was a fun time waster while it lasted.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
Daniel Mullins (Pony Island and Inscryption guy) made a short little game for LD52: https://dmullinsgames.itch.io/boba

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Residual Toast posted:

Daniel Mullins (Pony Island and Inscryption guy) made a short little game for LD52: https://dmullinsgames.itch.io/boba

I get to the point where I click the pink orbs on earth and the game opens several windows and the text is messed up. Can't progress from there.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Peachfart posted:

I get to the point where I click the pink orbs on earth and the game opens several windows and the text is messed up. Can't progress from there.

you can do things in the other windows with the messed up text, there are tabs across the top

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Very strange. For some reason NGU isn't loading on Firefox on my Mac, but it will work on Safari. It was working earlier today, but isn't now.
Maybe i should get off Kongregate.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Cimber posted:

Very strange. For some reason NGU isn't loading on Firefox on my Mac, but it will work on Safari. It was working earlier today, but isn't now.
Maybe i should get off Kongregate.

Kong version is like a year or so out of date and wont be updated, Kong is dead and they will probably go offline any day now they stopped accepting new games years ago and went all in one some desktop steam competitor.

Thinking about it more does the steam version work on Mac? Did Mac support get dropped near the end because of web being dropped?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

pixaal posted:

Kong version is like a year or so out of date and wont be updated, Kong is dead and they will probably go offline any day now they stopped accepting new games years ago and went all in one some desktop steam competitor.

Thinking about it more does the steam version work on Mac? Did Mac support get dropped near the end because of web being dropped?

I don't see the steam version working on mac, only PC, which is a bit of a pisser. :/

[edit] also, would my save game even work on the PC steam version, or would I have to start all over again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Cimber posted:

[edit] also, would my save game even work on the PC steam version, or would I have to start all over again?

You should be able to export/import the save file without issue unless there's some version fuckery that buggers it. I moved from Kong to the initial Steam launch no problem.