Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Squeesome

Edit: what a snipe! To add content, I picked up PLA again after beating Scarlet. Does that game just use a totally different stat/damage formula than the main series? I'd like to think I have a good general sense of how much an attack should do, or whatever, and I find myself off, and by a lot, way more in PLA than in any other game.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

JohnCompany posted:

Squeesome

Edit: what a snipe! To add content, I picked up PLA again after beating Scarlet. Does that game just use a totally different stat/damage formula than the main series? I'd like to think I have a good general sense of how much an attack should do, or whatever, and I find myself off, and by a lot, way more in PLA than in any other game.

Yeah PLAs battle system is supposed to feel more fast-paced and a bit more strategic with the style attacks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So is there a good guide around on how to approach team-building for competitive Pokemon? I've been enjoying gen 9 well enough to try diving into that, the last time I tried was gen 6 (which I only remember because my team had a Chesnaught in it... which probably gives an idea how good I was). Building an Iron Hands for Tera Raids was mercifully quick, too, so the notion of building an in-game team isn't too bad.

I'm not even sure if I want to do singles or doubles, basically the only thing I've decided is that I really want to use Iron Valiant when they allow Paradox Pokemon into ranked next month. And I tend to like defensive playstyles in other games, but I'm not sure if that'll carry over here.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 8, 2023

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

JohnCompany posted:

Squeesome

it uses a quite different damage formula. In particular, level advantage is much less significant in PLA.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Flopsy posted:

That's the target audience, kinda rough business when the demographic Nintendo is aiming for joins the raids. And no I'm not being a poo poo about this I'm dead serious. They operate on rule of cool and assume if a pokemon looks badass it'll do more damage.

yeah I would not have guessed that Slowbro of all dudes would kick rear end and dominate but here we are

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
what are you talking about, Slowbro is badass as hell

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
The Virgin Hydreigon vs the Chad Slowbro

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Cleretic posted:

So is there a good guide around on how to approach team-building for competitive Pokemon? I've been enjoying gen 9 well enough to try diving into that, the last time I tried was gen 6 (which I only remember because my team had a Chesnaught in it... which probably gives an idea how good I was). Building an Iron Hands for Tera Raids was mercifully quick, too, so the notion of building an in-game team isn't too bad.

I'm not even sure if I want to do singles or doubles, basically the only thing I've decided is that I really want to use Iron Valiant when they allow Paradox Pokemon into ranked next month. And I tend to like defensive playstyles in other games, but I'm not sure if that'll carry over here.

vgcguide.com rules; a bunch of the game-specific stuff is out of date because the site went up in April but all the information about team-building is applicable

I think doubles is a better and more interesting meta and the site is geared toward that because that’s the VGC format but the general advice about how to think about your team, how to build a core, etc., should all still be accurate across formats.

check pikalytics.com to determine what you’ll need counters for

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Smogon's working their poo poo out, apparently Chi-Yu is an absolute monster.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Flopsy posted:

That's the target audience, kinda rough business when the demographic Nintendo is aiming for joins the raids. And no I'm not being a poo poo about this I'm dead serious. They operate on rule of cool and assume if a pokemon looks badass it'll do more damage.

when i was a kid i had the decency to be great at video games! :mad:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

the good Smogon formats are the weird ones, like Camomons and Little Cup.

OU is bad and boring and there are like four Pokémon you can use in it. and also you can’t play 6v6 in Battle Stadium on cart

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I've been playing the Orre games for the first time and I've gotta say that Sableye can be the bane of your existence if you pick Espeon as your starter in XD (the former being immune to pretty much every move the latter can learn and its own attacks all being super effective)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

precision posted:

Name your Maushold NIMH

I don't get it, what's the secret?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Anyways my maushold was named Full Maus
But also maushold is such a good name that a nickname isn't needed

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, I've been playing the Orre games for the first time and I've gotta say that Sableye can be the bane of your existence if you pick Espeon as your starter in XD (the former being immune to pretty much every move the latter can learn and its own attacks all being super effective)

It should still have Bite from being an Eevee, and is also the only real special coverage most of them will get. At least XD is not that difficult overall.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

It should still have Bite from being an Eevee, and is also the only real special coverage most of them will get. At least XD is not that difficult overall.

As I found out during a round on Mt. Battle, Bite doesn’t work either (Sableye is immune to Normal, Psychic, Dark, and I think Fighting)

Meanwhile in Colosseum, a decently leveled Espeon with some good Psychic moves can almost solo the game on its own (to the point where I had to start being careful so I didn’t accidentally oneshot a Shadow Pokémon I wanted)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 8, 2023

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Does Order Up still increase Dondozo's stat when it hits a Fairy? I know it still works when hitting Protect, but not sure if it works differently for type immunities

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

HootTheOwl posted:

Anyways my maushold was named Full Maus
But also maushold is such a good name that a nickname isn't needed

Full Maus is pretty good! Agreed though, 'Maushold' is an amazing pokemon name.

What does Dondozo allude to as a name, anyone know? I can't remember it at all.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Larryb posted:

As I found out during a round on Mt. Battle, Bite doesn’t work either (Sableye is immune to Normal, Psychic, Dark, and I think Fighting)

Meanwhile in Colosseum, a decently leveled Espeon with some good Psychic moves can almost solo the game on its own (to the point where I had to start being careful so I didn’t accidentally oneshot a Shadow Pokémon I wanted)

Sableye shouldn't be immune to Dark even in Gen 3, it's Ghost/Dark meaning Bite should be doing neutral damage.

The Colosseum Espeon is insane, they give you full-power Return right off the bat. The Umbreon just can't catch up, such is the curse of being a Dark-type before Gen 4.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't get it, what's the secret?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._Frisby_and_the_Rats_of_NIMH

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_of_NIMH

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Full Maus is pretty good! Agreed though, 'Maushold' is an amazing pokemon name.

What does Dondozo allude to as a name, anyone know? I can't remember it at all.

Bulbapedia posted:

Dondozo may be a combination of don (Spanish for lord) and どうぞ dōzo (Japanese for "please (help yourself)"; typically said when offering something). Don also refers to a crime boss, which may allude to Dondozo's relationship with Tatsugiri, who acts as its consigliere. It may also derive from bozo, in reference to Dondozo's dimwitted nature.
Heyrusher may be a combination of へいらっしゃい e irasshai ("Come on in"; typically said by store attendants when greeting customers) and the agentive suffix ~者 -sha or -er. It may also involve hey (a friendly greeting)

Basically it alludes to its chef design

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

That's awesome! Thank you for getting that.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Just got this game started last night, named my fuecoco Crocochile.

From past games off the top of my head
Mamopearls the Mamoswine
Doppelgengar
Goldenfleece the ampharos

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

xedo posted:

Just got this game started last night, named my fuecoco Crocochile.

From past games off the top of my head
Mamopearls the Mamoswine
Doppelgengar
Goldenfleece the ampharos

Please post how it's going if you like, as you go along!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Please post how it's going if you like, as you go along!

Reckon I will!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Sableye shouldn't be immune to Dark even in Gen 3, it's Ghost/Dark meaning Bite should be doing neutral damage.

The Colosseum Espeon is insane, they give you full-power Return right off the bat. The Umbreon just can't catch up, such is the curse of being a Dark-type before Gen 4.

Huh, I could have sworn it did nothing but I’ll give it another try when/if I encounter one again.

And yeah, Espeon stayed on the front lines for the entirety of Colosseum (and once it learned Psychic I was basically unstoppable), it feels like they nerfed it a bit in XD but it’s still pretty good there too.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 8, 2023

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
Anybody just starting out or if you just want it idc but I completely forgot to use my adventurers code bonus stuff and have no need for it.

U2113XBE7XFV0RDJ

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
named my tandemaus Those Meeces because i'm old.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Cleretic posted:

I'm no pro by any means, but in my experience with Ranked Singles (which I personally prefer to Doubles) a defensive playstyle largely depends on whether your opponent has anything among the three Pokémon they pick that can sabotage your strategy. Hunkering down is less useful if the opponent can just use Super Fang to halve your current HP, Taunt to prevent moves like Recover and Will-o-Wisp, Swords Dance/Nast Plot to buff their attack, etc.

Gamefreak has also been slowly taking away options good for defensive builds over generations. Back in Alpha Sapphire I had a Milotic with Recover/Toxic/Scald/Ice Beam that once managed to burn a Dragon Dance-boosted Dragonite, survive its Thunder Punches only to Recover the majority of the lost HP each time, and finally won the fight with Ice Beam after the burn had whittled Dragonite's HP down. My poor Milotic has since lost access first to Toxic, and now to Scald, which torpedoed my strategy with this Pokémon.

The best thing to do is to actually play and observe the meta; what Pokémon show up the most, what ability, item, and moves do they usually have, how do their stats appear to be configured, etc. Then you can plan against specifics you're likely to encounter in play. Of course, this can also sometimes backfire if a player goes against the meta (which an opponent of mine discovered recently when they set up Light Screen to protect against the Special Attacks Armarouge usually employs only for their Pokémon to get OHKO'd with Flare Blitz).

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 9, 2023

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No it's because they wanted to shift focus to the cool new evil dragon they had that's on the box so they pulled narrative weight from that plot line by softening its overall tone and importance and not whatever this rant is about.

I am still in no way convinced that it's "Okay" to have that thing just grappled on to Nebby for the rest of the game.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hexmage-SA posted:

Gamefreak has also been slowly taking away options good for defensive builds over generations. Back in Alpha Sapphire I had a Milotic with Recover/Toxic/Scald/Ice Beam that once managed to burn a Dragon Dance-boosted Dragonite, survive its Thunder Punches only to Recover the majority of the lost HP each time, and finally won the fight with Ice Beam after the burn had whittled Dragonite's HP down. My poor Milotic has since lost access first to Toxic, and now to Scald, which torpedoed my strategy with this Pokémon.

I do like defensive play but I’m personally glad Scald has been sent to live on a farm upstate

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

ROFL Octopus posted:

I do like defensive play but I’m personally glad Scald has been sent to live on a farm upstate

I like scald but I do think it's perhaps a bit off to have the best burning move in the game be water-type.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
So, is there a good recommended place to grind levels on low pokemon that I need to level up so I can do the elite four. Violet/scarlet

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The only moves I thought were outright disappointing to see them remove were Pursuit and Hidden Power, since they both had pretty useful and interesting niches, but I can understand Pursuit if they were trying to make switchouts less punishing; that's absolutely fair if so.

Hidden Power I think was them planning ahead, though, because Terastallizing is basically a much less obtuse, much more visually and strategically interesting Hidden Power. And Terastallizing is better than mega-evos, Z-moves and Dynamaxing, so honestly, it was a good move to remove Hidden Power in preparation for Hidden Power On Crack.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Resdfru posted:

So, is there a good recommended place to grind levels on low pokemon that I need to level up so I can do the elite four. Violet/scarlet

Around the northern Team Star base. Bring Normal encounter power.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cleretic posted:

The only moves I thought were outright disappointing to see them remove were Pursuit and Hidden Power, since they both had pretty useful and interesting niches, but I can understand Pursuit if they were trying to make switchouts less punishing; that's absolutely fair if so.

Hidden Power I think was them planning ahead, though, because Terastallizing is basically a much less obtuse, much more visually and strategically interesting Hidden Power. And Terastallizing is better than mega-evos, Z-moves and Dynamaxing, so honestly, it was a good move to remove Hidden Power in preparation for Hidden Power On Crack.

The best Hidden Power substitute will always just be Weather Ball in snow because HP was ice 95% of the time, anyway. :v:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Hidden power fire was very popular and losing that crippled things that absolutely cannot deal with steel types otherwise.

Tera blast is neat, but it being so restricted feels not great compared to how hidden power was.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Hidden Power was stupid fiddly bullshit that made breeding even more annoying and its death should be celebrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

Hidden power fire was very popular and losing that crippled things that absolutely cannot deal with steel types otherwise.

Tera blast is neat, but it being so restricted feels not great compared to how hidden power was.

The Mattybee posted:

Hidden Power was stupid fiddly bullshit that made breeding even more annoying and its death should be celebrated

These aren't mutually exclusive takes.