Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

marshalljim posted:

Ferrari, Merc, and Renault execs respect the hell out of GM and its premium Cadillac marque. I learned that from reading an otherwise terrible thread on Something Awful Dot Com.

interesting you took that to mean the teams i take it to mean 'im pretending to want gm while the rest of the FIA subverts this idea until its dead'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

FakeBlood posted:

ferrari is owned by some dutch company but alfa is indeed a chrysler

edit: re-checked wikipedia and i guess that "Ferrari N.V." is still partially owned by FCA/Stellantis so I guess Chrysler has two teams in F1.

NL is a tax paradise (for corporations, not for citizens ofc) so yeah, Ikea is also here.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Zedd posted:

NL is a tax paradise (for corporations, not for citizens ofc) so yeah, Ikea is also here.

edit: I actually bothered to look this up and the corporate tax rate in NL is like 25% so wtf are you talking about lol

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 8, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ferrari realizing they’ll be in 4th lol.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The last time was GM was involved in F1 was via its lotus investment and they managed to piss their engine supplier off by asking the team to photograph Honda's fuel injection electronics lol

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

italian quid posted:

edit: I actually bothered to look this up and the corporate tax rate in NL is like 25% so wtf are you talking about lol

It's not that simple but that isn't really the subject for the Cast Iron cookware thread.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I mean I'd gladly be wrong so I can circle back to my original point that the dutch can stop being such smug cunts about their public infrastructure if they're just stealing it from other nations by undercutting corporate taxes, I'm not really bothered either way

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

italian quid posted:

The last time was GM was involved in F1 was via its lotus investment and they managed to piss their engine supplier off by asking the team to photograph Honda's fuel injection electronics lol

Lmao really? That’s extremely ironic because GM blackballed Pat Patrick from getting Chevrolet-Ilmor CART engines ~1990 because he gave Alfa-Romeo one to look at.

Frond fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 9, 2023

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
There was also that Isuzu V12 but that was mostly an all Isuzu effort with no GM corporate investment.

There was also a brief overlap where they (bizarrely) used a Chrysler-Lamborghini V12.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Also GM’s president said this;

“the capabilities that GM has are on the level with any Formula 1 team out there as well, so we’re very excited”.

Jesus loving Christ lol.

GM is pretty successful in Indycar and IMSA but I’d like to point out they basically outsource all of their engine and chassis development to third parties.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

Lmao really? That’s extremely ironic because GM blackballed Pat Patrick from getting Chevrolet-Ilmor CART engines ~1990 because he gave Alfa-Romeo one to look at.

I can't remember the exact source but I recall hearing that from some credible source years ago enough that I remember it

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Frond posted:

Also GM’s president said this;

“the capabilities that GM has are on the level with any Formula 1 team out there as well, so we’re very excited”.

Jesus loving Christ lol.

GM is pretty successful in Indycar and IMSA but I’d like to point out they basically outsource all of their engine and chassis development to third parties.

I mean, he's not wrong?

GM has the capability to build millions of cars per year. Don't be confused by the fact that almost all of them are built to a price. When GM actually cares about racing, they've done pretty well over the years.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i heard they spend more on toilet paper than ferrari's entire output

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Residency Evil posted:

I mean, he's not wrong?

GM has the capability to build millions of cars per year. Don't be confused by the fact that almost all of them are built to a price. When GM actually cares about racing, they've done pretty well over the years.

Hey dawg read up on the Toyota and Ford F1 programs and get back to me.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Residency Evil posted:

I mean, he's not wrong?

Wow man I’m really impressed by their ability to pay Richard Childress Racing, Dallara, Pratt & Miller and Ilmor to make almost all of their poo poo for them.

F1 is very different from customer formula racing.

The last time GM did anything by themselves and faced actual competition was 2003 in the IRL against Toyota and Honda - and go look at the results of that season.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Residency Evil posted:

I mean, he's not wrong?

the reason GM and Toyota are the top car manufacturers in the world is because they gutted R&D budgets. the Corolla functionally is the same car it was 20 years ago save for modest updates, thats not the company culture thats gonna work in F1.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

italian quid posted:

the reason GM and Toyota are the top car manufacturers in the world is because they gutted R&D budgets. the Corolla functionally is the same car it was 20 years ago save for modest updates, thats not the company culture thats gonna work in F1.

Toyota can make good cars when they feel like it which is doubly frustrating.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If Toyota F1 happened again could we see a Corolla as the safety car

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

Toyota can make good cars when they feel like it which is doubly frustrating.

The Corolla is fine to be honest. I dunno ever since I did karting my enthusiasm for sports cars has dropped to zero so I'm happy with a car that just gets me around and doesn't break.

From a car maker's perspective though I think it makes a lot of sense, if you can design a platform then keep a skeleton crew updating it for 2 decades or so then why bother with anything more than that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

If Toyota F1 happened again could we see a Corolla as the safety car

If this happens then I'm gonna have to invest in an industrial washing machine to get all the cum out of my pants

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Frond posted:

Outsource something they could do internally? That’s the American way.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
GM certainly has the resources to not gently caress it up if they want, but that doesn’t mean they won’t.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's Ford vs Ferrari not GM vs Ferrari.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

The prospect of any new fuckery in F1 is a welcome addition

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SocksAndSandals posted:

The prospect of any new fuckery in F1 is a welcome addition

I wouldn't be opposed to GM entering and doing a Brawn with loads of people going "ha ha ha you said yanks couldn't make a car that goes around corners" if it breaks up the Red Bull / Mercedes domination of the sport that we've lived through since 2010.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Frond posted:

Wow man I’m really impressed by their ability to pay Richard Childress Racing, Dallara, Pratt & Miller and Ilmor to make almost all of their poo poo for them.

F1 is very different from customer formula racing.

The last time GM did anything by themselves and faced actual competition was 2003 in the IRL against Toyota and Honda - and go look at the results of that season.

I mean Red Bull pays Honda for their engines.

Pirate Radar posted:

GM certainly has the resources to not gently caress it up if they want, but that doesn’t mean they won’t.

Exactly this. It’ll probably end up like Toyota F1, but assuming they’ll be awful because they also made the cavalier is dumb.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

italian quid posted:

I mean I'd gladly be wrong so I can circle back to my original point that the dutch can stop being such smug cunts about their public infrastructure if they're just stealing it from other nations by undercutting corporate taxes, I'm not really bothered either way

I mean, same, op

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Thanks Ants posted:

I wouldn't be opposed to GM entering and doing a Brawn with loads of people going "ha ha ha you said yanks couldn't make a car that goes around corners" if it breaks up the Red Bull / Mercedes domination of the sport that we've lived through since 2010.

The Brawn was a Honda (and Super Aguri) chassis with a Mercedes-Benz engine wedged into it.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

italian quid posted:

the tl;dr of it is that dutch tax laws are simple to buypass and filled with loopholes that tax lawyers get paid well to use

quote:

The report from the Tax Justice Network analyses data published this year by the US detailing where US firms declared their costs and profits in the EU in 2016 and 2017. Instead of declaring profits in the EU countries where they were generated, US firms have shifted billions in profits into the Dutch tax haven each year ($44 billion in 2017) where corporate tax rates in practice can be under 5 per cent. This resulted in huge, yearly reductions in tax bills for some major US firms on their operations across the European Union. Tax losses were biggest in the four EU countries with the highest reported cases of Covid-192: France, with over 74,000 cases, lost over $2.7 billion in corporate tax to the Netherlands, Italy, with over 132,000 cases, lost over $1.5 billion, Germany, with over 99,000 cases, also lost over $1.5 billion and Spain, with 135,000 cases, lost nearly $1 billion to the Dutch tax haven.

ikeas system

quote:

One of the techniques is shifting royalties from each IKEA store to a subsidiary in the Netherlands, which acts as a conduit. The royalties go in and out the Netherlands untaxed and end up in Liechtenstein (or at least partly). And for 2014 alone, we estimate it amounts to €35 million of missing tax revenues in Germany, €24 million in France and €11.6 million in the UK. Countries like Sweden, Spain and Belgium are likely losing between €7.5 and €10 million as well.

and RB (Reckitt Benckiser)

quote:

The scale of the alleged profit shifting in the Netherlands hub is particularly striking. The company reported pre-tax profits of £779m in the country in 2014, which was one quarter of the group’s entire pre-tax profits. The accounts of the Netherlands subsidiary reveal that the company pays just a quarter of the Netherlands statutory tax rate of 25%, in part due to a deal with the Dutch tax authority which exempts 75% of the company’s profits in the jurisdiction from tax.

The profits recorded in the hubs do not appear to be the result of significant real activity being relocated. Oxfam found that the each employee in the Netherlands accounted for £33m in revenue, 128 times the average employee of the group who accounted for just £258,000.

the UN published a report some years ago looking into trade misinvoicing, where you say an item costs $100 but then you tell customs its value is $80 and you take the remaining $20 and shove them into a tax haven.

quote:

Léonce Ndikumana, lead author of the report, said that the discrepancies in the trade data, which are the basis for estimating reinvoicing, were systematic and growing over time: this is not the result of errors in recording this stuff.

“The implication is that it is the operators who are explicitly manipulating the invoices. There has to be complicity on both sides. There’s a serious lack of transparency on both sides.”

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Grimson posted:

the tl;dr of it is that dutch tax laws are simple to buypass and filled with loopholes that tax lawyers get paid well to use

ikeas system

the UN published a report some years ago looking into trade misinvoicing, where you say an item costs $100 but then you tell customs its value is $80 and you take the remaining $20 and shove them into a tax haven.

I agree, this is tl so I dr

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Grimson posted:

ikeas system

Buddy if you think you can come in here and post all this bullshit text and also not be Tony coming back then you can just gently caress right off back out of here

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bring back the Isuzu engine

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

italian quid posted:

Buddy if you think you can come in here and post all this bullshit text and also not be Tony coming back then you can just gently caress right off back out of here

lmao you asked him for it.

It will be cool to see the 2026 standings where Audi/Norris takes the WCC/WDC, and then Cadillac comes in 2nd with like Bubba Wallace or something.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 9, 2023

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
It's gonna be another rough year for Ferrari

quote:

Ronzoni is under fire for discontinuing one of its most popular pasta shapes: Pastina.

The small star-shaped pasta, known to many as the star of the soup dish regularly referred to as "Italian penicillin," will no longer be manufactured by the household pasta producer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ronzoni is Italian Ronaldo

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Grimson posted:

Oxfam found that the each employee in the Netherlands accounted for £33m in revenue

Holy loving lmao - whoever orchestrated this must've been poached by Red Bull to fiddle their accounts for 2021. Oxfam need to do a report on the theft of Lewis Hamilton's 8th WDC.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

lmao you asked him for it.

I said I wasn't really bothered either way actually

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

You don't really need any reasons to tell the Dutch to gently caress off

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ilmucche posted:

You don't really need any reasons to tell the Dutch to gently caress off

They are the literal loving worst. Any nation that thinks middle aged cunts saying 'Super Max' over and over to a lovely Eurobeat is acceptable are not civilised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Charles Leclerc posted:

They are the literal loving worst. Any nation that thinks middle aged cunts saying 'Super Max' over and over to a lovely Eurobeat is acceptable are not civilised.

Sounds like ur Super Mad