Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I never heard of Mika Pikazo before Engage but the all-caps energy owns and this is one of the few modern games I’ve ever been slightly disappointed with the graphics on for not being able to fully capture the energy of the original character design artwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

chainsaw man's anime is okay but its not really as good as the manga and bocchi, g-witch, blue lock, and akiba maid war were all significantly better, imo

They added a two minute long mostly dialogueless sequence of Aki getting ready for work. That wasn't in the manga. I think that's amazing and shows they get the manga. Also I think the anime is much better paced than the manga, the anime better paces out the fights and the slower more important stuff while I felt the manga was breathless a lot of the time. Bocchi and G-Witch are both great, but only G-Witch is what I'd say was on CSM's level and I put CSM above it because I'm a massive fan of both.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eimi posted:

I really love Genshin Impact. I also loathe the look and style of Engage. I'm with Endorph in really questioning how people say they are similar. If Engage was like Genshin It would eliminate at least half the reasons I hate it. Genshin's style is comparatively subdued while I'm sure even the fans of Pikazo's style would say she's using the artistic equivalent of all caps when it comes to color.

Also muted colors are awesome and while I hate how 3H looks, I blame issues more like anti-aliasing and just the engine being rear end instead of the art style. Chainsaw Man is also the best anime of the season by far and it's muted, checkmate atheists.

I compared Engage to Genshin because Genshin's really the only game I've played with a vaguely similar aesthetic so limited reference pools and all. I suspect that's true for a lot of people.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Eimi posted:

I really love Genshin Impact. I also loathe the look and style of Engage. I'm with Endorph in really questioning how people say they are similar. If Engage was like Genshin It would eliminate at least half the reasons I hate it. Genshin's style is comparatively subdued while I'm sure even the fans of Pikazo's style would say she's using the artistic equivalent of all caps when it comes to color.

Also muted colors are awesome and while I hate how 3H looks, I blame issues more like anti-aliasing and just the engine being rear end instead of the art style. Chainsaw Man is also the best anime of the season by far and it's muted, checkmate atheists.

Out of curiosity, are there any especially egregious Engage designs besides Alear, Hortensia, and maybe Panette? Timerra too I guess but I think it works for her.

I find there are handful of really colourful designs for sure but... there are a lot more characters that are the typical cast of coloured weirdos Fire Emblem always has. The majority of the cast to me wouldn't look terribly out of place in any other Fire Emblem, even Three Houses (post-timeskip).

Not full-body art, but for reference:

Some of the designs I think are really good/would fit in any other FE:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

They added a two minute long mostly dialogueless sequence of Aki getting ready for work. That wasn't in the manga. I think that's amazing and shows they get the manga. Also I think the anime is much better paced than the manga, the anime better paces out the fights and the slower more important stuff while I felt the manga was breathless a lot of the time. Bocchi and G-Witch are both great, but only G-Witch is what I'd say was on CSM's level and I put CSM above it because I'm a massive fan of both.
i think csm being so breathless is a big part of its energy and vibes, i think smoothing out that pacing to be more 'normal' removes part of what makes csm unique to make it more of a bog standard shonen.

Last Celebration posted:

I never heard of Mika Pikazo before Engage but the all-caps energy owns and this is one of the few modern games I’ve ever been slightly disappointed with the graphics on for not being able to fully capture the energy of the original character design artwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGYgGOXrLu4

tbf it comes across better than the only other 3d game ive seen their work in in terms of capturing their vibes. tho to be fair to fgo arcade, that game has work from a bunch of artists so it kind of has to flatten all the styles. but still an attempt was definitely made in engage, you can see the difference.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any especially egregious Engage designs besides Alear, Hortensia, and maybe Panette? Timerra too I guess but I think it works for her.

I find there are handful of really colourful designs for sure but... there are a lot more characters that are the typical cast of coloured weirdos Fire Emblem always has. The majority of the cast to me wouldn't look terribly out of place in any other Fire Emblem, even Three Houses (post-timeskip).

Not full-body art, but for reference:

Some of the designs I think are really good/would fit in any other FE:

I think Panette is as bad as Alear so much worse than you think she is. Pissing off I'm sure most of the thread but like the colors of Alear's design make it fail to work, but the everything about Celines is not something I enjoy. Timerra would be totally fine with different colors to tone down the loudness. Zelkov's color scheme is weird given he's just a one off ashen skinned guy. Why is Boucheron half turtle?

You're that the majority are fine, but it's how the total is presented that makes me dislike them. Also the tone, but that's entirely separate from the art.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 9, 2023

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

EY FOGADO 'BOUT IT

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

Zelkov's color scheme is weird given he's just a one off ashen skinned guy.
i mean theres people in real life with that skin tone

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

i mean theres people in real life with that skin tone

Really? His skin looks like actually black, like he's a drow or something.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Panette is a young girl berserker goth. I'm sold.

Plus she's got a party-loving priest older brother. I like them and can't wait to use them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think its good Hortensia looks like a clown.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Eimi posted:

I think Panette is as bad as Alear so much worse than you think she is. Pissing off I'm sure most of the thread but like the colors of Alear's design make it fail to work, but the everything about Celines is not something I enjoyTimerra would be totally fine with different colors to tone down the loudness. Zelkov's color scheme is weird given he's just a one off ashen skinned guy. Why is Boucheron half turtle?

You're that the majority are fine, but it's how the total is presented that makes me dislike them. Also the tone, but that's entirely separate from the art.

None of us can help how we feel so I think that's a shame that the art style has been contentious for you. I really like this cast so far and I'm able to look past the designs I don't like as much. All I can hope is that the character writing holds up. But all that aside, Engage looks really fun mechanically, and that's what I'm here for at the end of the day.

I think my least favourite designs are Hortensia are Marni, but

1) Clowns deserve representation too, and
2) I can punch both of them

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGYgGOXrLu4

tbf it comes across better than the only other 3d game ive seen their work in in terms of capturing their vibes. tho to be fair to fgo arcade, that game has work from a bunch of artists so it kind of has to flatten all the styles. but still an attempt was definitely made in engage, you can see the difference.

Yeah I probably wasn’t being entirely fair, it does seem a difficult one to fully nail even in a conventional game let alone one with 50+ character, generic units, reclassing, on top of not exactly being made on cutting edge hardware, it looks more than fine in that context relative to the original work.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

None of us can help how we feel so I think that's a shame that the art style has been contentious for you. I really like this cast so far and I'm able to look past the designs I don't like as much. All I can hope is that the character writing holds up. But all that aside, Engage looks really fun mechanically, and that's what I'm here for at the end of the day.

I think my least favourite designs are Hortensia are Marni, but

1) Clowns deserve representation too, and
2) I can punch both of them

It's the tone that's the nail in the coffin for me. The gameplay honestly looks amazing, but I don't know if I could handle the writing based off the stuff that's come out this week. Three Houses had characters that really felt human to me with a ton of depth and going back to Awakening tier characters is a nightmare.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I can't get over how good the dancer looks. He's got an all time design imo.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I think part of the "energy" of the designs also comes from the high contrast palette and lighting, which they might have chosen to tone down a bit in the game since you want the players to be able to see their "pieces" clearly.

They definitely put in a lot of effort into interpreting the original artworks, though. The artist's style is very textured and you can tell they tried to emulate that with things like scattering the shading/reflections on the outfits and introducing tessellation effects here and there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

Really? His skin looks like actually black, like he's a drow or something.

not to become the fire emblem engage thread skin tone speaker but while it obviously isnt the exact same as these it feels like it falls into the same spectrum. his skin's a little ashier but that feels like reasonable variation + partly a result of anime artstyle flattening out how skintones can shift across a person's face. theres skintones that arent that common in north america/europe but can be found elsewhere.

heck you ever seen khoudia diop.

skin tones are a pretty broad spectrum

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

not to become the fire emblem engage thread skin tone speaker but while it obviously isnt the exact same as these it feels like it falls into the same spectrum. his skin's a little ashier but that feels like reasonable variation + partly a result of anime artstyle flattening out how skintones can shift across a person's face. theres skintones that arent that common in north america/europe but can be found elsewhere.

heck you ever seen khoudia diop.

skin tones are a pretty broad spectrum

Oh wow the bottom right woman is basically that so I stand corrected. I always thought the just basically #000000 (to avoid just saying black a lot given it can be confusing) skin was a pure fantasy thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id say zelkov doesnt seem like hes actually anything like #00000 but this conversation is getting dangerously close to somebody putting a black fire emblem character into a color picker tool

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah the point was I thought he just had a pure fantasy skin tone and he doesn't and it's neat to learn that.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Eimi, there's the simple fact that Three Houses was a deviation from the norm for an FE plot, and plots like Engage is shaping up to have were the semi-standard before this point. Engage isn't a deviation, it's a return to something more simple. And there's nothing wrong with revisiting the roots.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

A dude in elaborate scary armor is going to invade his peaceful neighbor for largely insane reasons, he'll be backed up by an evil wizard in a hood, at least one lady minion, and a token good minion who is aware their boss is a psycho but still works for him because ???

There will be people who turn into dragons, and there is a decent chance the penultimate/final boss will be a dragon of some description.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Honestly I'm just kinda sick of how the people who keep bitching about Engage, the silly anniversary game, only played 3Houses and won't stop crying about the tone or whatever.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Honestly I'm just kinda sick of how the people who keep bitching about Engage, the silly anniversary game, only played 3Houses and won't stop crying about the tone or whatever.

Jugdral and Tellius exist. It's not like every previous FE was like Awakening or the GBA games, and even Sacred Stones was an example of that very simple story told well.

Junpei posted:

Eimi, there's the simple fact that Three Houses was a deviation from the norm for an FE plot, and plots like Engage is shaping up to have were the semi-standard before this point. Engage isn't a deviation, it's a return to something more simple. And there's nothing wrong with revisiting the roots.

I got a taste of nuance and hosed up background details and I crave more.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Tellius has the hungry girl mage and Daevad and Bors and Wendy. It's not completely null of silliness. Hell, 3Houses has Flayn, Raphael and Leonie.

Like I don't really care if people are not interested because of tone but it's lame that people somehow ignore that there's humor in FE.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

No quarter for Panette haters

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Guy who has only played Genshin Impact, playing his second game: Hmm... getting a lot of 'Genshin Impact' vibes from this.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eimi posted:

Jugdral and Tellius exist. It's not like every previous FE was like Awakening or the GBA games, and even Sacred Stones was an example of that very simple story told well.

I got a taste of nuance and hosed up background details and I crave more.

most Fire Emblem games have as much/more nuance than 3 Houses and all of them have hosed up background details. The only thing really unique about 3 Houses is letting you side with the people who would just be the tragic mid game villains (without any change in background/motivation/actions) in any other FE game.

I would even argue 3 Houses pulled too many of its punches by letting every route have a nearly identical 'happy' ending with Rhea gone and the continent unified under 'Lord of Choice or Byleth' who makes everything better. There's not a lot of nuance if every choice ends with essentially the same result.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Tired Moritz posted:

Tellius has the hungry girl mage and Daevad and Bors and Wendy. It's not completely null of silliness. Hell, 3Houses has Flayn, Raphael and Leonie.

Like I don't really care if people are not interested because of tone but it's lame that people somehow ignore that there's humor in FE.

I would definitely like it if the characters were more like the Three Houses characters, where even the jokier characters had more to them than just the "This is my one gimmick" stuff. I'm fine if there's a few Ilyanas around, just not all of them. I'd trade some Three Houses character development for better villains though.

Thing is, when I started Three Houses, my first impression of a lot of characters was that they were one-note. "Okay, so this guy is sleepy.", "This girl has low self-esteem.", "This guy likes to eat and train." It was only after seeing their supports that I came to appreciate their characters as "Linhardt is a genius, but gets easily bored.", "Marianne fully believes she's cursed to the point of being suicidal." and "Raphael really likes to eat and train.". So I'm not going to write the characters off just from a few early impressions.

(Ilyana would love being in Three Houses, you can eat ten meals every Sunday.)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

3 houses absolutely has a lot more nuance than most fire emblem games (or at least it does the nuance better than 'blood pacts' or 'but she loved him though' did) but I think making broad assumptions about the story is kind of premature.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If nothing else, we know that

At point A in the plot, we're fighting against Elusia, including boss fights with Hortensia and Ivy flanked by Rosado + Goldmary/Kagetsu and Zelkov.
At later point B in the plot, all 6 of them have joined the party.

So clearly, something happens between Point A and Point B in the plot that makes the Elusians, who have been stated to be Evil Dragon Worshippers, to swap sides.

That's a bit more nuance than your evil dragon worshipping cult/country usually gets in your typical FE where they're all evil and unrecruitable (except for the blonde Paladin who's good and unrecruitable).

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Eimi posted:

It's the tone that's the nail in the coffin for me. The gameplay honestly looks amazing, but I don't know if I could handle the writing based off the stuff that's come out this week. Three Houses had characters that really felt human to me with a ton of depth and going back to Awakening tier characters is a nightmare.

Not sure if I have missed something this week, but from what I read there is less story, social stuff and characterization than in Three Houses and the stuff that was told wasn't bad at all, for example Anna not being one-note character whose whole personality revolves around being greedy.

That combined with the gameplay stuff and this being a very late FE anniversary game it feels like they're going back to basics.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Junpei posted:

If nothing else, we know that

At point A in the plot, we're fighting against Elusia, including boss fights with Hortensia and Ivy flanked by Rosado + Goldmary/Kagetsu and Zelkov.
At later point B in the plot, all 6 of them have joined the party.

So clearly, something happens between Point A and Point B in the plot that makes the Elusians, who have been stated to be Evil Dragon Worshippers, to swap sides.

That's a bit more nuance than your evil dragon worshipping cult/country usually gets in your typical FE where they're all evil and unrecruitable (except for the blonde Paladin who's good and unrecruitable).

Eh, you usually get a bunch to switch sides for various reasons. Awakening has Tharja, Henry and Robin do so (plus Aversa and Gangrel with the FLC) and that wasn't exactly revolutionary there either. Weirdly for all the talk about nuance, Awakening goes hard on that with Gangrel and his incredibly tragic past where he gets to straight up have been the hero of the story who barely managed to stop Chrom's dad (who everyone up to and including Emmeryn, Chrom and Lissa was cool with him killing because he was that bad).

And he has an understandable trauma related to that that drives the early conflict in Awakening! Its a really good and unused beat that no other game in the series ever even tries to grapple with even if 3 Houses makes a few half-hearted attempts with Petra.

Honestly Awakening is probably the high bar for 'Evil Dragon Nation' overall.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Good God I would rather have 3H political discourse every day of the week over engage “anime aesthetics” discourse. This is going to be the conversation topic for the next 36 months, isn’t it

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
im gonna combine them and complain about 3Houses ugly rear end matching hair color big rear end eyes aethestic

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Im just here for the boobs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
im here to fire some emblems

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Deltasquid posted:

Good God I would rather have 3H political discourse every day of the week over engage “anime aesthetics” discourse. This is going to be the conversation topic for the next 36 months, isn’t it

I would rather have anime discourse because the same detractors for 3h discourse actively suck

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Do we know what the Fire Emblem is in the game yet?

I'm gonna guess its eventually going to be Marth's Engage ring but outside bet on it somehow being the OG shield popping up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm betting it'll be the secret, 13th ring.