Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Usu Kai Ken
Oct 2, 2021
The ET puppet sold for $2.56 million but cost $1.5 million to make for a return of 70% even without considering inflation

The Nukie vhs sold for $80,600 but only cost let’s say $10 for a return of 805900%

Therefore Nukie is 805900/70=11500 times better than ET

Usu Kai Ken fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Usu Kai Ken posted:

The ET puppet sold for $2.56 million but cost $1.5 million to make for a return of 70% even without considering inflation

The Nukie vhs sold for $80,600 but only cost let’s say $10 for a return of 805900%

Therefore Nukie is 805900/70=11500 times better than ET

ET had a budget of 10.5 million with a worldwide gross of 739-ish million. that's a return of about 75 million for every million they invested, so cumulatively that animatronic's return is in the 115-ish million, not counting for inflation. Or around.. 765%-ish, not counting for inflation?

Nukie is better than ET though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/robsaucedo2500/status/1612138050192134144?s=46&t=1TFOk0PlDR19RTwYO_YXjw

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Is the ET model just the skinless skeleton shown in the pictures? If so it is viscerally unpleasant to look at and I would definitely not want to have it on display anywhere I might have to see it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Is the ET model just the skinless skeleton shown in the pictures? If so it is viscerally unpleasant to look at and I would definitely not want to have it on display anywhere I might have to see it.

It yearns for death

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Justin Credible posted:

ET had a budget of 10.5 million with a worldwide gross of 739-ish million.

drat, how come that poo poo hasn't been run into the ground yet. there should have been 3 failed seboots and a terrible sequel by now

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lindelhof redeemed himself with Leftovers, a show I never want to watch again

I've watched it a few times and like more with every viewing. Carrie Coon ftmfw.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I like Leftover because the 3 seasons are not that connected. You can watch the superior s2 s3 first and get around to s1 when you feel like it.

Don't care about Watchmen show. It's not a self contained story and then it was cancelled boo hoo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's not a self contained story and then it was cancelled boo hoo.

you get so much stuff wrong all the time about film and tv, it's weird

it is a self-contained story and it was never intended to have a s2. it never got "cancelled"

e: 😘

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Maybe that’s what ET really looked like and what we thought was skin was his spacesuit

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

kalel posted:

drat, how come that poo poo hasn't been run into the ground yet. there should have been 3 failed seboots and a terrible sequel by now

Fortunately, ET happened at exactly the right time when Speilberg was seeing all the stupid Jaws sequels and that convinced him that ET should never have a sequel. He's held remarkably firm to that, so we'll likely need to wait until he is dead and Disney buys Amblin Partners before we get the ETCU.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

a seboot is a sequel that is basically the same film but its happening at sea (see: speed 2)

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Still waiting for Disney to buy the rights to RLM and then use the boy’s CGI golems to hype their poo poo movies.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it is a self-contained story and it was never intended to have a s2. it never got "cancelled"

It's okay. I made that post aimed to promote The Leftovers to balance out the other comment that implied it's bleak show (and dissed Watchmen on way out. :) Damon Lindelof is weird writer for me. I can't predict how much I will like his next show based on old shows, unlike Jonathon Nolan. OTOH, most of his movie script doctoring has been bad. see Prometheus)

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 9, 2023

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

E.T 2 the Extra-EXTRA-Terrestrial

He's back! your favourite alien has returned but encounters space ship trouble over eastern europe. Elliot receives a special message through whatsapp. featuring special guest Mark Zuckerberg and now for the first time EVER Steve Jobs in life-like CGI.

- sponsored by the metaverse

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I watched a few episodes of the Watchmen and it seemed like a pretty mediocre show about race relations in Tulsa, with some Watchmen window dressing thrown in. Maybe future seasons would have gotten more interesting idk.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
ET was the only nice one of his species, and ET 2 is a Starship Troopers movie

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

when are we getting space cop 2 :(

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I would 100% get behind a sequel that was just millions of heavily armed ETs loving up the Earth.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

colonelwest posted:

I would 100% get behind a sequel that was just millions of heavily armed ETs loving up the Earth.

mars attacks 2

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Universal Studios ET ride is based on concepts and things they had worked on for a potential sequel.

Space Kablooey posted:

mars attacks 2

I just learned Mars Attacks was originally going to be done with stop motion animation for the Martians. This makes 100000% more sense and would have made the movie a perfect 10/10.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i didnt watch, man. haha

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

PostNouveau posted:

ET was the only nice one of his species, and ET 2 is a Starship Troopers movie

This is actually pretty close to true. What started as E.T.2 became Gremlins.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I think part of the issue is that after the 90s, the culture was 100% tapped out on the kind of "alien encounter" thing that was a big part of ET's DNA. The X-Files had really driven the whole thing into the ground, and Johnny Carson* had finally retired and was no longer giving alien abductees (and psychics, and other new age kooks) a chance to appear in the majority of American homes every night.

*Looking back, I think somebody needs to do a deep dive into just how much Carson kinda hosed with American culture by virtue of being so popular and being really fond of giving a platform to really lovely people.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

LanceHunter posted:

I think part of the issue is that after the 90s, the culture was 100% tapped out on the kind of "alien encounter" thing that was a big part of ET's DNA. The X-Files had really driven the whole thing into the ground, and Johnny Carson* had finally retired and was no longer giving alien abductees (and psychics, and other new age kooks) a chance to appear in the majority of American homes every night.

*Looking back, I think somebody needs to do a deep dive into just how much Carson kinda hosed with American culture by virtue of being so popular and being really fond of giving a platform to really lovely people.

Just look at the Joe Rohan podcast today

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

poisonpill posted:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

poisonpill posted:

Basically, but imagine if Joe Rogan was watched by 4x as many people, and stayed that popular for 30 years.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

poisonpill posted:

He shall fall too, before the might of Minas Ithil(?)!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Joe Rohan.... Theoden does mushrooms...? Uh, maybe something with Jordan Peterson or Elon Musk as Grima Wormtongue? There's a joke here, I just can't find it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Watchmen tv show was lovely copaganda

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
E.T. Too: The Extra-Sexy Terrestrial.

"E.T. bone home."

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

DaysBefore posted:

Joe Rohan.... Theoden does mushrooms...? Uh, maybe something with Jordan Peterson or Elon Musk as Grima Wormtongue? There's a joke here, I just can't find it.

There's absolutely a Photoshop Phriday if we bothered

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I seem to recall that HBO and Time Warner absolutely wanted Lindelof to keep on doing more seasons of Watchmen, but he said "no" (probably after he sent Alan Moore that dumbshit fanboy letter, and Moore told him to gently caress off in response), and rather than just go "wait we own these characters" and hire a new showrunner, they just quietly accepted his decision. Sort of like what happened with the Game of Thrones dudes. I wonder if all those guys had clauses in their contracts about how HBO can't continue on with anything they started or something like that.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

you seen that palantir of the oliphaunt stepping on its own balls? holy gently caress grima pull that poo poo up dude

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I seem to recall that HBO and Time Warner absolutely wanted Lindelof to keep on doing more seasons of Watchmen, but he said "no" (probably after he sent Alan Moore that dumbshit fanboy letter, and Moore told him to gently caress off in response), and rather than just go "wait we own these characters" and hire a new showrunner, they just quietly accepted his decision. Sort of like what happened with the Game of Thrones dudes. I wonder if all those guys had clauses in their contracts about how HBO can't continue on with anything they started or something like that.

This is particularly disappointing when you consider that Lovecraft Country's showrunner really wanted to do a second season, and even had a bible and outline written for it, but then HBO didn't keep it going. Letting Watchmen be 1 season while letting Lovecraft Country build on the really weird world that it had created seems like the obvious choice.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

That DICK! posted:

you seen that palantir of the oliphaunt stepping on its own balls? holy gently caress grima pull that poo poo up dude

:perfect:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Sydney Bottocks posted:

People who liked the show were calling for it to be one-and-done. It ended perfectly and told a mostly contained story, and whatever happened next after the main lady ate the Dr Manhattan egg was doomed to be stupid as gently caress anyway.

More shows should include some hidden piece of American history in their setups the way Watchmen did the Tulsa Race Massacre. If the Right wants to ban schools from teaching actual American history, then its up to pop culture, as sad as that is.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

That DICK! posted:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

That DICK! posted:

There it is, there's the joke. Thank you Dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Watchmen tv show was lovely copaganda

don't care lol. cops were the baddies. use your brain