Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Apex Rogers posted:

Where does the live show replay and analysis fall into this?

The rare instance where somebody else can meet/counter their brand of antagonism so well (in this case, that somebody was "objective reality") that it forces them into submission for an hour.

soggybagel posted:

The openings made me laugh so much when they'd pull just the wildest silliest "celebs" in the opening story. I remember one was like "So it was me, so and so, and Vida Guerra" and it jsut made me laugh and laugh so much. Just a person who's name I remember still for being on the cover of Maxim Magazine in like 2004.

Not from a cold open, but from Sean's mouse skellington story: "VICTOR GARBER AND ME AREN'T FRIENDS ANYMORE. We don't talk, and he doesn't have my current cell phone number."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Santa Man ad read where a woman has died and Santa Man is scared about going to jail. "Hue hue hue.....OH MAN SHES NOT WAKING UP!!"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
My favourite HH running gag was when they were approaching a big milestone (500 eps?) and Sean kept pretending that they would stop doing the show after they reached it.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I'm catching up on Threedom, and in a recent episode Scott got indignant that his doctor asked if he had really done all the prep for his colonscopy (because it was "kind of a mess down there" during the process).

But I don't know if I believe him? I think if you take the laxative and fast properly, it's hard to see it not cleaning you out? But then Scott was the one who brought up this story, so it would be very weird if he did that just to lie about it?? But he's kind of a weird guy anyway??? Idk!

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

rollick posted:

But I don't know if I believe him? I think if you take the laxative and fast properly, it's hard to see it not cleaning you out? But then Scott was the one who brought up this story, so it would be very weird if he did that just to lie about it?? But he's kind of a weird guy anyway??? Idk!

I have to get a colonoscopy every two years and I had this exact same thought. It's impossible to gently caress it up if you follow the rules. They give me pictures of my colon after every one and it's as clean as a fuckin' flute. Obviously it must not have been that bad, because they'll make you get another colonoscopy if it's not clean.

JethroMcB posted:

I'd say that Hollywood Handbook has gone through a couple of phases, it was originally "Two guys pretend to be big-shot Hollywood insiders, but talk and act like they may actually just be mischievous 11-year-olds." Then for a while it was "Two guys with a moderately successful podcast big-time other podcasters while talking about how to build a show and audience." Then there was a period when it was just "An interview program where both hosts are actively hostile and pull some kind of weird bad cop/bad cop routine on their guests." Now it's kind of swung back to the "Hollywood power players" thing.

There's a PFT episode from the past few years where they're sorta joking about how the show doesn't have a premise anymore and PFT says something like, "Oh that's not true. For a while you were scared of things, and for a while you spoke in a caveman patois."

I thought "caveman patois" was a very clever way of describing the pseudo-language they used for so long, "spiders is bugs", etc.

Edit: Random HH memory that always makes me laugh. I think the guest asked Kevin whether he was more scared of Sean or Hayes. Kevin responded, "On mic, Hayes. Off mic, Sean."

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 8, 2023

cams
Mar 28, 2003

one of my favorite episodes of hh is the (pre-milkshake duck) jensen karp episode where they do their own episode of "get up on this". jensen is a very good sport about sean and hayes being outright mean to him!

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

cams posted:

one of my favorite episodes of hh is the (pre-milkshake duck) jensen karp

Oh honey

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Been awhile since I regularly listened but to me the all time best HH was when they did a live ComicCon show and proceeded to eat absolute poo poo. Genuine, palpable pain expressed in podcast form.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Laterite posted:

Been awhile since I regularly listened but to me the all time best HH was when they did a live ComicCon show and proceeded to eat absolute poo poo. Genuine, palpable pain expressed in podcast form.

That's the one I think 'I'll get my friends to listen to this, that will get them to like the show' then I listen to it myself beforehand and decide that maybe not everyone will like or could like everything.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Laterite posted:

Was that they one that was 100% salvaged by them doing an episode after where they did a live-react to the live show bombing?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Was that they one that was 100% salvaged by them doing an episode after where they did a live-react to the live show bombing?

I think they've done like, 3 or 4 autopsies of that show by now.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The Comic-Con audience was there because they saw Conan O'Brien's name on a flyer. They were not actually there for "comedy"

REVANCHE

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is there a clean recording of sean singing the rebel just for kicks hook

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

cams posted:

one of my favorite episodes of hh is the (pre-milkshake duck) jensen karp episode where they do their own episode of "get up on this". jensen is a very good sport about sean and hayes being outright mean to him!

Hot Karl got milkshake duck'd?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Hot Karl got milkshake duck'd?
He was the Cinnamon Toast Crunch shrimp guy, and when that went viral a bunch of people that had worked with him before called him out for being abusive in the workplace and he deleted his account and never came back.

If Cinnamon Toast Crunch shrimp guy means nothing to you, consider yourself lucky.

JethroMcB posted:

The Comic-Con audience was there because they saw Conan O'Brien's name on a flyer. They were not actually there for "comedy"

REVANCHE
If I'm remembering correctly, people were attending the show to get an exclusive Conan O'Brien Funco Pop. That's about the worst audience for a comedy show that I can imagine.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

"I was gonna do a bit where I didn't remember and called them 'ravalanche' but I bailed."

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Jokymi posted:

He was the Cinnamon Toast Crunch shrimp guy, and when that went viral a bunch of people that had worked with him before called him out for being abusive in the workplace and he deleted his account and never came back.

If Cinnamon Toast Crunch shrimp guy means nothing to you, consider yourself lucky.

If I'm remembering correctly, people were attending the show to get an exclusive Conan O'Brien Funco Pop. That's about the worst audience for a comedy show that I can imagine.

I was wondering, they've had Conan's assistant on a couple of times I think, I would love to hear them with Conan, listening to the show and talking to him about it.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Who Me? is a bit flimsy as a recurring podcast idea. Of the CBB Presents....only Hey Randy and Eat Pray Dunk are all that good imo.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw26qzd914k lmfao I just _last week_ remembered I made this video

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ManoliIsFat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw26qzd914k lmfao I just _last week_ remembered I made this video

lmao

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Who Me? is a bit flimsy as a recurring podcast idea. Of the CBB Presents....only Hey Randy and Eat Pray Dunk are all that good imo.

I like Ego's show too. Lily is great but the concept of the book thing is probably a bit done for me now. I was hoping for more one-offs really.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
More CBB regulars need to be as psychotic as Gil Ozeri and just send Scott a fully produced episode.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

not great bob posted:

Wasn't Rodgers the only one who had seen it? I kinda got the impression he wasn't bringing up as many critiques as he normally would because he knew Gabrus was hyped to go see it (and indeed leaves the episode early to do so). He did say it was more of the same as the first and that he hopes Cameron doesn't just make Avatar movies for the rest of his career.

The bigger headscratcher for me was Rogers insisting that The Rock is the better option over Vin Diesel.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Not to be the "well, actually..." guy but to me his argument makes sense. You get to make a movie with a massive budget but you have to share creative with either Johnson or Diesel. Johnson is going to be a team player and not intentionally tank the movie the way Diesel might. Also I just don't agree with Blank Check thinking that there is some Vin Diesel secret sauce where 90 percent of the time he's not great but 10 percent you get some insane brilliance because he's such a weirdo but talented too. I've very loosely had to work with his "team" and simply put, Diesel is loving annoying and a massive pain in the rear end to work with.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like Ego's show too. Lily is great but the concept of the book thing is probably a bit done for me now. I was hoping for more one-offs really.

Yeah....I forgot about the Entree P Neur (sp?) show. That one is pretty entertaining as well.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

soggybagel posted:

Not to be the "well, actually..." guy but to me his argument makes sense. You get to make a movie with a massive budget but you have to share creative with either Johnson or Diesel. Johnson is going to be a team player and not intentionally tank the movie the way Diesel might. Also I just don't agree with Blank Check thinking that there is some Vin Diesel secret sauce where 90 percent of the time he's not great but 10 percent you get some insane brilliance because he's such a weirdo but talented too. I've very loosely had to work with his "team" and simply put, Diesel is loving annoying and a massive pain in the rear end to work with.

It certainly makes sense I just can’t help but look at it as a movie watcher. I’d rather watch a million weird rear end Vin Diesel projects than another Rock in a tan shirt and khakis movie.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Hey Randy is the clear star, but Eat Pray Dunk hasn't gripped me yet. Of the CBB Presents shows that have done more than one ep I'd rank them like so,

Hey Randy
Entree PeeE Neur's Entrepreneur Tour featuring Appetizer PeeE Neur
You Can't Handle the Sleuth's
Full Throttle
This Book Changed My Life
Eat Pray Dunk
Who Me?
College Town

Do people still rank things. Is that still a thing. My opinion, behold it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this book changed my life number 2 right behind hey randy

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

the one joke in "who me" is intrusive sound drops but it's pretty funny

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Yeah....I forgot about the Entree P Neur (sp?) show. That one is pretty entertaining as well.

It is really selfish of Ego to live in NYC and be on SNL 8 or 9 months a year instead of doing a monthly show where she, Carl and Drew confound their guests by stopping a scene to half-remember hip-hop lyrics for a while. I know that sounds sarcastic but it's not, I love hearing the three of them breaking into a hook in the middle of a segment. Will Hines just saying "I'm not familiar with this song" after they've repeated two lines from Drake's verse on "Sicko Mode" for fifteen seconds just busts my whole rear end up.

This Book Changed My Life is a very guest-dependent show for me. Some of them I'm cool on, but then you have one like Neil Campbell and Fran Gillespie episode from a week or two ago that just kills.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

CBB works because Scott is a very, very good host and knows how to navigate improv - when to linger on a bit, when to bail or change topic, etc. A *lot* of the CBB Presents shows are what happens when you don't have Scott, and it's two people pretending to be characters finding themselves in dead end comedy cul-de-sacs without an easy way out.

I really enjoy Lily Sullivan's work in general, but This Book Changed My Life just does that a bit too much for me. Hey Randy has a lot of lore they can fallback on, as well as the voice mails to switch too when the convo slows. TBCML is a lot of yes-anding which is fine but also means they frequently spend a lot of time on tangents that don't amount to much.

Praise be Scotty D

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hey randy is also a bunch of well developed characters from people who all know each other super well, while TBCML is like pure exploratory improv that's new every week except for the "Lily" character

i like the latter a lot but it's more of a fun game format, while hey randy they could unironically do as a full podcast as much as they want

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is neighborhood listen still only on stitcher

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

I'd say that Hollywood Handbook has gone through a couple of phases, it was originally "Two guys pretend to be big-shot Hollywood insiders, but talk and act like they may actually just be mischievous 11-year-olds." Then for a while it was "Two guys with a moderately successful podcast big-time other podcasters while talking about how to build a show and audience." Then there was a period when it was just "An interview program where both hosts are actively hostile and pull some kind of weird bad cop/bad cop routine on their guests." Now it's kind of swung back to the "Hollywood power players" thing.

Speak on that

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Everyone on Hey Randy this week is just having so much drat fun and I’m not even 30 minutes in.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I never get tired of Brett as stupid, Libertarian, Mark Padovano. I like how much Lilly Sullivan seems to enjoy him too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Captain EO episode of I Was There Too was unlocked, so I downloaded and listened to that the other day. Made me remember how much I liked that show. Also, with the Wolfpop stinger at the end, definitely felt like being transported a decade back in time.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Anyone getting their gaper filed by Bart Simpson ITT?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

LesterGroans posted:

I never get tired of Brett as stupid, Libertarian, Mark Padovano. I like how much Lilly Sullivan seems to enjoy him too.

His reaction to Carissa's sudden evangelical turn near the end of last week's episode cracked me up. "This isn't from me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Anyone getting their gaper filed by Bart Simpson ITT?

Three corkers of a guests