Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah the bad chuffed is more miffed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

Huh. well. I guess I just probably wouldn't use it anymore because of that confusion. I'd only heard it in the context of something someone would be displeased about, never happy about.

god this language is garbage.

aloha, ciao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

just realized something. mamma Mia

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mystes
May 31, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

Huh. well. I guess I just probably wouldn't use it anymore because of that confusion. I'd only heard it in the context of something someone would be displeased about, never happy about.

god this language is garbage.
Maybe you just need to peruse the dictionary more

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mystes posted:

Maybe you just need to peruse the dictionary more

Peruse? You’ll need to be a little more through than that.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://komonews.com/news/local/wom...y-investigation

Yet another reminder that you can totally murder someone if you just run them over with a car, stay at the scene, and be unimpaired.

quote:

According to the Kent Police Department (KPD), the incident occurred around 5:45 a.m. near the 23300 block of 132nd Avenue Southeast. The victim, an unidentified woman, was possibly crossing the street when she was hit by a car driving south, police said. The hit caused the pedestrian to enter the northbound lane, where she was then hit by another driver, police added.

jesus loving christ though

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

oops a daisy!!

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/it-accident-waiting-happen-residents-25913796

the residents are campaigning for speed bumps, they don't realise speed bumps just mean the car will hit the upstairs next time

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Horace posted:

oops a daisy!!

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/it-accident-waiting-happen-residents-25913796

the residents are campaigning for speed bumps, they don't realise speed bumps just mean the car will hit the upstairs next time

lmao of course its a bmw

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

hey that's a nice pub. It's more than 200 years old! wow

quote:

Coventry City Council is under a legally binding direction from the government to improve air quality in the city "in the shortest possible time".

that's good, how are they going to do that?

quote:

A 200-year-old pub has been demolished to allow a nearby road to be widened.

ah, I see

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Horace posted:

ah, I see

:mad: roads!

Apr 7, 2003

lol the English are so hosed up

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol the English are so hosed up

The British train system really isn’t impressive all things considered. It one of the few countries beside the US, I really wonder what the hell is going on.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Horace posted:

ah, I see

what the gently caress is wrong with people

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

anyone still inside a 200 year old pub would have been dead for more than a century, time to make space for the living

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dustcat posted:

anyone still inside a 200 year old pub would have been dead for more than a century, time to make space for the living
I'm not sure that buildings work that way

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It's the HopperUK pub

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
ran out of vinegar doing meal prep at 9 PM last night, so I put on a jacket and some shoes, and walked one block to the 24/7 supermarket around the corner from my building, bought some vinegar, and walked back

it was nice

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dustcat posted:

but what if I want to drink with ghosts?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Grognan posted:

but what if I want to drink with ghosts?

it didnt go so well in the shining

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Spent 40 mins in a car waiting to exit a highway to get to the Philly Flyers' parking lot. After finally making it, the police closed it off and also every other entrance to the parking lots I prepaid $30 for. In total, spent 75 minutes to go the last mile on a Sunday evening because the Eagles were playing and filled up all of the surface parking (seriously not even one multi-story garage in a complex that can seat like 100k people total) with their tailgating garbage. Took Amtrak back and it was $50 to go from Philly to Trenton. Nice train station they've got in Philly though, I wonder what was going on in the 1930s to make them build all those badass and functional public works.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

eXXon posted:

Spent 40 mins in a car waiting to exit a highway to get to the Philly Flyers' parking lot. After finally making it, the police closed it off and also every other entrance to the parking lots I prepaid $30 for. In total, spent 75 minutes to go the last mile on a Sunday evening because the Eagles were playing and filled up all of the surface parking (seriously not even one multi-story garage in a complex that can seat like 100k people total) with their tailgating garbage. Took Amtrak back and it was $50 to go from Philly to Trenton. Nice train station they've got in Philly though, I wonder what was going on in the 1930s to make them build all those badass and functional public works.

gradenko_2000 posted:

ran out of vinegar doing meal prep at 9 PM last night, so I put on a jacket and some shoes, and walked one block to the 24/7 supermarket around the corner from my building, bought some vinegar, and walked back

it was nice

lol the juxtaposition

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

No.

Apparently the UK has about 3 people killed by cyclists each year, but I couldn't find any details on those deaths. For comparison, UK had about 1,600 traffic fatalities for 2021, so bicyclists kill less than 0.2% as cars. There was one story of a cyclist being sentenced to 18 months for killing a pedestrian! Which is nuts because car drivers don't face any sort of penalty like that.

do cars break anglo minds more than others becaues thats my working theory for the moment

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

gradenko_2000 posted:

it was nice

lol i've mentioned this before, but the fear and frustration the 'just gotta get one thing' trip provokes in car-people vs. the nonchalance of just getting it yourself on foot or by bike or whatever says more about where you live than any online walk-score or bike-score app possibly could.

thousand yard stare as they remember getting stuck in stop-and-go traffic and then circling the parking lot for a space vs. "yeah sure, no problem. it's such a small deal that i've literally already done it"

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

do cars break anglo minds more than others becaues thats my working theory for the moment

It's a condition that will be added to the next update of DSM-V as automobile personality disorder, aka carbrain.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

It's a condition that will be added to the next update of DSM-V as automobile personality disorder, aka carbrain.

mad max syndrome

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Horace posted:

ah, I see

To be fair, a 200+ year old pub in England is about as rare as a site of atrocities against the native American population in America. So it would be okay to demolish for something useful, not a loving road. Unless it's a road for having sex on I guess.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

eXXon posted:

Seriously Philly has the most pretty train station due to everyone else demolishing all their pretty train stations and all these people come through and are like why can't train stations be like this?? Listen dozens of people spent decades of their lives keeping that station from being turned into a bunch of gravel. Dozens of others in Your Town tried their best to save your pretty train station, and they failed

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Toronto's Union Station is nice (well, the old part of it is) and 6 years older than William H. Gray III 30th Street Station and some nice people successfully prevented it from being turned into Penn Station (NYC) in the 1970s. Thanks, folks!

Unfortunately the new underground part has taken ages and $$$ to build and is still a confusing mess, so in a sense the plan to turn it into Penn Station worked out for both sides.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BonHair posted:

To be fair, a 200+ year old pub in England is about as rare as a site of atrocities against the native American population in America. So it would be okay to demolish for something useful, not a loving road. Unless it's a road for having sex on I guess.

Even in countries with lots of old buildings you should still try to preserve old buildings if only because they're probably only going to be replaced by something less dense as a rule because the only urban planning untainted by the car is urban planning before it was invented

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

You'd think Coventry of all places would want to preserve a pre-1940 building.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

it was nice

Same, but basmati rice and the Indian corner store. I make a lot more Asian food these days because the only two walkable grocery stores are East and South Asian (and because it is delicious)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Same, but basmati rice and the Indian corner store. I make a lot more Asian food these days because the only two walkable grocery stores are East and South Asian (and because it is delicious)

oh god basmati rice is excellent but it's also expensive so we only have it judiciously

Apr 7, 2003

eXXon posted:

Spent 40 mins in a car waiting to exit a highway to get to the Philly Flyers' parking lot.

Wells Fargo Center is a six minute walk from a subway station OP

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh god basmati rice is excellent but it's also expensive so we only have it judiciously

Yeah, it's $10 for 4lbs at Kroger but only $7 at the corner store. Plus they have a selection of like 15 different kinds.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wells Fargo Center is a six minute walk from a subway station OP

Yeah no poo poo, I don't live near Philly and was in a car and if I'd known the giant parking lot next to the venue was full I would have suggested parking on a random side street and walking the rest of the way earlier (which we did).

e: also that subway was shut down for construction at the time, oops!

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 16:25 on Jan 9, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

eXXon posted:

was in a car

Found your mistake

Apr 7, 2003

eXXon posted:

e: also that subway was shut down for construction at the time, oops!

there's a bus station a four minute walk from Wells Fargo Center

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I would drive the Steelers truck

concerning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTO2MTiC4xM