Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Rust Martialis posted:

This sort of thing really needs to be called out for the fact-free statement it is.

The Democrats broadly support social welfare, medicare, labor rights, GLBT rights. Trying to paint this as anything-"right" is, with all due respect, ridiculous.

This political centre… is it in the room with us right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My feeling is the Japanese politics thread is the best place to talk about US politics

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Vegetable posted:

My feeling is the Japanese politics thread is the best place to talk about US politics

No. As a american, I am only able to conceptualize and understand political value systems only through the extremely slim american political spectrum.
Liberals are left wing, conservatives are opposed to social welfare and support free market, etc etc

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The Manifesto Project in the EU does try to compare parties based on their election manifestos (the methodology is available on their site).

https://manifestoproject.wzb.eu/

https://manifestoproject.wzb.eu/down/data/2020a/codebooks/codebook_MPDataset_MPDS2020a.pdf

For Japan, politics generally score "left" compared to a lot of other countries:

The relative ratings of the major parties is pretty obvious from right to left.

Compare this to Germany, a baseline EU country:

Here you have AfD as a clear hard-right, with most German parties rated as relatively centrist to hard left (Die Linke).

If you consider the LDP as right-wing, then obviously you'll think a score around zero isn't centrist. Using Germany as a comparison, a score of -20 to -40 would be arguably *somewhere* on 'the left'. The JCP or Social Democratic Party are clearly leftist.

Incidentally, I am not American, and live in Denmark.

Obligatory Addendum:

Under Clinton and during Bush, the Democrats moved hard to the center-right, but under Obama and now Biden (who is nothing if not an old-school middle-of-the-road Democrat), they have moved back hard left.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 9, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vegetable posted:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

The Manifesto Project in the EU does try to compare parties based on their election manifestos (the methodology is available on their site).

For Japan, politics generally score "left" compared to a lot of other countries:

Here you have AfD as a clear hard-right, with most German parties rated as relatively centrist to hard left (Die Linke).

If you consider the LDP as right-wing, then obviously you'll think a score around zero isn't centrist. Using Germany as a comparison, a score of -20 to -40 would be arguably *somewhere* on 'the left'. The JCP or Social Democratic Party are clearly leftist.

Obligatory Addendum:

Under Clinton and during Bush, the Democrats moved hard to the center-right, but under Obama and now Biden (who is nothing if not an old-school middle-of-the-road Democrat), they have moved back hard left.

...what does the Y-axis mean?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vegetable posted:

loving this. Knock this poo poo off, y’all, not everything is about the United States. And listen to those who live in Japan for hints and advice on how the situation is.

Meanwhile, in actual Japanese political news, Kishida is making the right noises about the problems most people face:

quote:

Prime Minister Fumio Kishida stepped up his call for companies to raise salaries to a level higher than the rate of inflation, labeling the issue as one of two pivotal policy areas his administration will tackle this year as a top priority.

At his first news conference this year here, Kishida said Jan. 4 the other challenge facing his administration is how to stem the declining birthrate, which he said required an “other-dimensional” policy response.

The funny part is the news cycle has grasped the birth rate / “other-dimensional” responses line to go wild thinking about tax raises and other things. Not sure how that would help (unless the money goes to making childcare and such accessible and much cheaper), but it is funny.

At least there’s a grasp of the problem, which is stagnant real wages now being truly squeezed by even McDonald’s having to raise prices.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Up is "right", down is "left"

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

They've been publicly calling on companies to increase wages for years. There is really nothing to indicate that they actually mean it this time and will do something to actually drive wage growth.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

Obligatory Addendum:

How can the GOP not have moved further right than that over the last 6 years? Did they defeat the metric by not having a party manifesto in 2020?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I just learned Japan has a national cheese day. I thought most East Asians were lactose intolerant.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

...what does the Y-axis mean?

points, duh.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Lammasu posted:

I just learned Japan has a national cheese day. I thought most East Asians were lactose intolerant.

I'd say I was lactose intolerant, too, after eating Japanese cheese.

There are degrees of intolerance; I think I only know one person who suffered from it enough that they actively avoided dairy.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Lammasu posted:

A lot of cheeses have very little lactose. Cheese and yogurt making proliferated at Neolithic sites before the gene to digest lactose did.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Also almost every elementary school in the country gives kids milk with lunch.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yep, and since the staff has the same lunch as the kids they end up drinking it too.. or not so they end up with a fridge full of expired milk.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Rochallor posted:

I'd say I was lactose intolerant, too, after eating Japanese cheese.

I like to think of Hokkaido as the Wisconsin of Japan.... But we have better cheese and they have actual skiing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I’m doing a short postgrad military program, and the discussion point we had for this week’s assignment was how the US can get Japan and Korea to cooperate more militarily considering the recent escalation in tensions over the last few years. :v:

And it made me think of this thread.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
By increase cigarette price and coporate tax.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yep, and since the staff has the same lunch as the kids they end up drinking it too.. or not so they end up with a fridge full of expired milk.

Or they pass it to the pet foreigner aka the ALT. Same with the growing-junior-high-kid sized portions of things like rice. Can’t count the number of times a teacher would say “can you take some of my rice…?” and pour 2/3 of their bowl into mine.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Isn't white rice awful in terms of nutrition for children?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

Isn't white rice awful in terms of nutrition for children?

Rice has calories. Growing kids need calories. Vitamins and other nutrients can come from vegetables, which are much more prevalent in Japanese school meals than in the US.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Ah good point

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I know it sounds completely bonkers for US citizens but rice is actually good!

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
School lunch rice is often cooked with barley and other grains, too, at least at my kids' school. As a parent I have absolutely zero bad things to say about school lunch in Japan.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah the school lunch really isn’t a problem, it’s usually well balanced and actually decently tasty - plus they still have the kids do all the setup/prep in home rooms in most elementary and middle schools. We went and toured daycares last summer as well and they do similar in terms of specifying their meals and how good they are for a growing child.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
CNN got their hands on a war game that projected a costly western victory over China in a Taiwan war.

Of interest to this thread was this.

quote:

Japan is likely to lose more than 100 combat aircraft and 26 warships while US military bases on its home territory come under Chinese attack, the report found.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/09/politics/taiwan-invasion-war-game-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

How do you think the Japanese public would react to this?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol at Taiwan suffering just 3,500 casualties in an invasion.

Anyway no one in any nation cares about war games; it's just not a thing that resonates.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Lol at Taiwan suffering just 3,500 casualties in an invasion.

Anyway no one in any nation cares about war games; it's just not a thing that resonates.
Is it really an invasion if the enemy doesn't manage to make it to land?

Obviously. I meant how would the public react to those things happening.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Hmmm I'm no expert on the Japanese cultural psyche but I assume the public wouldn't be pleased about it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Charlz Guybon posted:

CNN got their hands on a war game that projected a costly western victory over China in a Taiwan war.

Of interest to this thread was this.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/09/politics/taiwan-invasion-war-game-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

How do you think the Japanese public would react to this?

Yeah this doctored war game is designed to scared Taiwan into buying more "porcupine tactics" weapons from US like landmine spreader, javelin and other crap. It sure will scare Japanese public a little bit. But I am not sure how much Japanese public have a say in foreign policy. Yoshida just increase the military spending without much input from the public.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

But I am not sure how much Japanese public have a say in foreign policy. Yoshida just increase the military spending without much input from the public.

*Kishida

It was announced to a whole lot of grumbling by the media and public at large. It’s a big reason the approval ratings for Kishida and his cabinet are in the absolute toilet. And unlike other major countries, that can still shame people into actions (see Suga stepping down before as well).

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

harperdc posted:

*Kishida

It was announced to a whole lot of grumbling by the media and public at large. It’s a big reason the approval ratings for Kishida and his cabinet are in the absolute toilet. And unlike other major countries, that can still shame people into actions (see Suga stepping down before as well).

It shames them into stepping down, but not into policy action. The LDPs game of musical PMs shields the party from blame and allows them to do whatever unpopular poo poo they want and all they have to do is switch PMs and approval goes back to the baseline.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
What the...

https://twitter.com/jenniferkates/status/1624921481045057540

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh hey that guy was on the Japanese version of Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader last week.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Maybe the Jersey Pine Barrens could be our own Aokigahara.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

harperdc posted:

Oh hey that guy was on the Japanese version of Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader last week.

Did he win?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

oh god, just noticed he has those insufferable glasses with one round frame and one square.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lost out near the end. Maybe one or two questions from the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

It shames them into stepping down, but not into policy action. The LDPs game of musical PMs shields the party from blame and allows them to do whatever unpopular poo poo they want and all they have to do is switch PMs and approval goes back to the baseline.

Their PM's have been absolute all out dog poo poo ever since Abe yet all it takes for you to be PM is to be the head of the LDP which is the only party Japan will ever consider voting for so it doesn't mean poo poo what their approval ratings are as long as the party doesn't turn on them. They're really not under any threat of losing power regardless of what they do with Kishida in-between now and the next election when the LDP wins another resounding victory over it's disorganized and unconnected in the political world, because they've been shut out of any real power since literally the dawn of the post-empire government system, opponents.

When your entire cabinets approval ratings is pushing towards 25% and your electoral prospects in the next election are approaching 100% you may just want to consider giving up the democratic experiment already as there's just nobody holding you accountable anyway.