Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I think there's plenty of blame on system that both diminishes the value of human life, and enables wealthy and powerful companies to openly profit off of addiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The opioid problems roots is pharmaceutical companies basically bribing doctors to prescribe as often as possible and Florida having basically no rules for prescriptions for a good decade.

Opioid prescriptions are down ~45% from a decade ago and yet drug overdoses reach record-setting heights each year. Overprescribing doctors were a scapegoat, its about worsening material conditions.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

So are we looking at 2 years of nothing happening but judges being confirmed or what?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

pencilhands posted:

So are we looking at 2 years of nothing happening but judges being confirmed or what?
Yes, except that in the summer we are staring down a default because it's unlikely that the GOP House will vote to pass a debt ceiling increase

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, except that in the summer we are staring down a default because it's unlikely that the GOP House will vote to pass a debt ceiling increase

And the Republican's having the Commerce department finally determine how huge Hunter Biden's hog truly is.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

Democrats and the least crazy Republicans will team up to force it through. There have got to be enough Republicans that still listen to capital to make it happen, it would only take a handful

And unlike the Senate, the House does have the ability to defy the Speaker through discharge petitions

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This xylazine is new to me and now I will probably start seeing it in the ER and Medicine wards. How horrible. It reminds me of when cocaine was being cut with Levamisole, a chemotherapy agent. Levamisole would cause some of the same nasal numbness, had the same consistency/color and taste as cocaine and back in the late 2000s I guess South America/Mexico had tons of the stuff laying around because it was a seldom used if not discontinued cancer drug. When I was a resident in Dallas we so a few patients who really got hosed up by the stuff. It causes horrible vasculitis. So when people are snorting coke cut with it their nose, maxillary sinuses, and face would literally necrose and eat itself off from the vasculitic inflammation. It was absolutely horrific. Literally people with a purplish necrotic burnt looking crater where their nose used to be.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

haveblue posted:

Democrats and the least crazy Republicans will team up to force it through. There have got to be enough Republicans that still listen to capital to make it happen, it would only take a handful

And unlike the Senate, the House does have the ability to defy the Speaker through discharge petitions

The propsed rules will alow the Speaker and the HFC to refuse to present that bill. So, the sane GOP members would need to be willing to call a motion to vacate and overthrow McCarthy. Moreover, they would need to be willing to quickly vote for Jefferies or an already agreed upon with the Dems compromise candidate to be speaker.

By the time those republicans agree that they need to do all those things it will probably be too late to do all those things in time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Charlz Guybon posted:

The propsed rules will alow the Speaker and the HFC to refuse to present that bill. So, the sane GOP members would need to be willing to call a motion to vacate and overthrow McCarthy. Moreover, they would need to be willing to quickly vote for Jefferies or an already agreed upon with the Dems compromise candidate to be speaker.

By the time those republicans agree that they need to do all those things it will probably be too late to do all those things in time.

McCarthy broke discharge petitions to become speaker? Lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

This also presupposes the continued existence of "sane" Republicans, which is a fallacy. They're all bonkers boyos at heart and the ones that don't have the guts to pull the trigger and shoot the hostage themselves will stand back and let the ones who do do it for them and then chuckle with nervously fulfilled delight after it's done like that pindicked chud dad from The Boys after Homelander just straight up murders another man in front of him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kavros posted:

I generally feel like it runs both ways. Economic desperation is incredibly stressful and mentally toxic to most people, no matter how mentally 'strong,' and it creates the conditions for people to ease into substance abuse disorders just to try to get back any semblance of pleasure in their lives, especially when their families are running pretty close to the waterline.

A fair number of people get into opioids for the first time because of chronic pain and health problems caused by working long hours at physically demanding lovely jobs and become increasingly dependent on them to get through the day because economic realities mean that they have to keep up the grind and can't cool down and let their bodies properly heal or seek alternative treatments.

Some poor fucker lobbing boxes 10 hours a day at Amazon to make end's meet fucks up their knees and/or back, gets a script for tramadol from their doctor, and becomes basically unable to function without it because they literally can't afford to let their body properly heal so they just mask the pain endlessly while it gets worse and worse. Their doctor cuts their script back or their poo poo insurance stops covering it, they start seeking the fix elsewhere because they've come dependent.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

nine-gear crow posted:

This also presupposes the continued existence of "sane" Republicans, which is a fallacy. They're all bonkers boyos at heart and the ones that don't have the guts to pull the trigger and shoot the hostage themselves will stand back and let the ones who do do it for them and then chuckle with nervously fulfilled delight after it's done like that pindicked chud dad from The Boys after Homelander just straight up murders another man in front of him.

It's also presupposing that Joe "I Long To Cut SS/Medicare" Biden and the Very Serious Business Liberals don't try and actually cut a deal instead of forcing a clean raise through.

General_Disturbed
Apr 7, 2005

Ride the 8=====D

Kanos posted:

A fair number of people get into opioids for the first time because of chronic pain and health problems caused by working long hours at physically demanding lovely jobs and become increasingly dependent on them to get through the day because economic realities mean that they have to keep up the grind and can't cool down and let their bodies properly heal or seek alternative treatments.

Some poor fucker lobbing boxes 10 hours a day at Amazon to make end's meet fucks up their knees and/or back, gets a script for tramadol from their doctor, and becomes basically unable to function without it because they literally can't afford to let their body properly heal so they just mask the pain endlessly while it gets worse and worse. Their doctor cuts their script back or their poo poo insurance stops covering it, they start seeking the fix elsewhere because they've come dependent.

I don't know what is pushing the current epidemic but I can tell you with 100% certainty that during the height of the opioid crisis it was doctors and only doctors, not some economic hardship or "Poor people need to get high to avoid the realities of life" It was doctors wanting to make money off addicts, and doing everything in their power to create more addicts.

I was in a car wreck. And walked into a Dr's office having never done drugs, taken a pill, or even been interested in doing so. Guy wrote me a prescription for Hydrocodone, and told me to come see him again in a month. So I did. It took a year before he got me an MRI to find out I had two herniated discs in my lower back. And when I showed him the MRI results he shrugged and told me to come back and see him next month for more pain pills. By then I was addicted through the balls to the things. At the end of my addiction cycle I was seeing 3 doctors a month, each of whom was writing me enough pain pills to last me a month, which i was going through weekly. None of them offered any treatment option for my back. I had trouble walking, could barely feel my right leg at times. Every doctor I saw just wrote me more pain medication and told me "See you in a month". At that point everybody I knew was addicted to them as well. You walked in a Dr's Office and told them any part of your body was hurting, you walked out with a prescription for hydrocodone.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Gyges posted:

It's also presupposing that Joe "I Long To Cut SS/Medicare" Biden and the Very Serious Business Liberals don't try and actually cut a deal instead of forcing a clean raise through.

Ah, yes, similar to when Obama agreed to cut the ACA back in 2013-2014 when he was resolving the debt ceiling/government shutdown. Those Democrats just love losing, I don't understand why!

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 9, 2023

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://www.axios.com/local/washington-dc/2023/01/09/dc-home-rule-kevin-mccarthy-budget-riders
Knew this was gonna happen, makes me extra mad that the Dem-controlled Congress didn't go for DC statehood when they had the chance. DC always gets screwed in these situations. Andy Harris in particular has made loving with DC his pet project.

quote:

What happened: Two antagonists of hometown Washington — Andrew Clyde and Andy Harris — are part of the conservative House Freedom Caucus that humiliated McCarthy by dragging out his nomination for speaker.

Clyde is a representative from Georgia who’d like to completely repeal D.C.’s home rule. Harris, who represents Maryland, famously blocked the city in 2015 from legalizing marijuana sales.
In return for their votes for his speakership, McCarthy would allow the House to attach unlimited amendments to government funding bills and have open-ended debate on the legislation, the Washington Post reported. Amendments can include what are known as "riders" that restrict D.C. laws.
That means a GOP lawmaker could attach an anti-D.C. rider to the federal budget bill and hamstring its passage because it’d be a poison pill for the left.

In one worst-case scenario for liberal D.C., Democrats might have to weigh shutting down the government over Republicans trying to roll back abortion access in the city.
Context: Past GOP riders have included one that blocked D.C. from spending local tax dollars on abortions, besides the Harris amendment that has prevented weed sales in the city.

What they’re saying: “I’m very worried,” Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton tells Axios. “I’d have to depend on the president and the Senate to somehow bargain for us.”

Between the lines: A Democratic president and Senate wouldn’t necessarily stop the riders. Infamously, President Obama in 2011 begrudgingly traded away D.C. abortion funding to congressional Republicans to prevent a government shutdown.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 9, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Always seemed pretty obvious, but for the people still holding out hope/thinking that Biden wouldn't run for re-election:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1612239251768229888

Supposedly, they plan to make the State of the Union an unofficial campaign launch speech with the formal paperwork filing and announcement in April.

The only "concrete" info on any changes is that they have apparently spent a lot of time and money figuring out ways to get on WhatsApp and TikTok to reach people (especially non-English speaking people) compared to 2020.

The rest is pretty generic stuff about finding out what issues to focus on, which policies that they failed to achieve should be brought back, and what new ones should be added. They have spent weeks crafting the State of the Union to be a test run for announcing them, but haven't finished and the article has no info on what they are planning to focus on.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.axios.com/local/washington-dc/2023/01/09/dc-home-rule-kevin-mccarthy-budget-riders
Knew this was gonna happen, makes me extra mad that the Dem-controlled Congress didn't go for DC statehood when they had the chance. DC always gets screwed in these situations. Andy Harris in particular has made loving with DC his pet project.

Knew what was gonna happen? The article doesn't actually say anything is happening. It just describes a hypothetical situation that could potentially happen.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

General_Disturbed posted:

I don't know what is pushing the current epidemic but I can tell you with 100% certainty that during the height of the opioid crisis it was doctors and only doctors, not some economic hardship or "Poor people need to get high to avoid the realities of life" It was doctors wanting to make money off addicts, and doing everything in their power to create more addicts.

1. We don't say "addict" anymore. You were not an addict, you had a use disorder. This might seem like a pointless distinction, but it's easy to subconsciously disregard someone who is just "an addict." The guilt and shame people feel about what they're doing, what they've done etc is a huge barrier to treatment, and it's generally the first thing I try to cut through. A person has tuberculosis; we don't call them consumptive.

2. Height? Height generally implies things are getting better.

3. People get prescribed opioids for different reasons, abuse them for different reasons, and become addicted to them for different reasons. You had a very bad experience with a pill mill doctor. Maybe what you mean is during the height of doctors spraying people down with pills, which has been curtailed substantially: it peaked in 2012. Now obviously there are connections between the pill mill epidemic and the rise in heroin/fentanyl overdoses, but heroin existed in the 90s. It was a problem then as well, but those people (for whatever reasons) were just disregarded as addicts and not worth worrying about. Or used as an example of a bad thing that would happen to someone if they smoked weed/went to a big city/etc

Blaming doctors and only doctors is reflective of your personal experience, and it certainly identifies a contributing factor, but it is oversimplified and not reflective of the reality of the situation. Do you think that every person who became addicted to opiates saw a medical provider first?

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 9, 2023

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Main Paineframe posted:

Knew what was gonna happen? The article doesn't actually say anything is happening. It just describes a hypothetical situation that could potentially happen.

The article and quote of said article establishes the precedent of Obama in 2011 shitcanning abortion in DC as a consequence of the acts that were permited to be done previously by the actors involved now. Presenting dry procedural tricks as if they have no consequences is poor reporting.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Not to give Biden and Senate Dems too much credit but it's a way different landscape now, 10 years later and abortion access being one of the top political issues.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kalit posted:

Ah, yes, similar to when Obama agreed to cut the ACA back in 2013-2014 when he was resolving the debt ceiling/government shutdown. Those Democrats just love losing, I don't understand why!

I'm sorry, are you saying that Joe Biden, Democratic Leadership and every Democrat President since at least Carter haven't tried to bargain with the Republicans to cut SS and other entitlements? Because that's what I was talking about, not trying to get Obama to wreck up the accomplishment he's most proud of.

Zinkovich
May 2, 2009
I've worked in pharmacy for 15 years, particularly specialty pharmacy and long-term care where I deal with a lot of patients who deal with both acute and chronic pain as well as their providers. I even did medical coding and billing for a hot minute when I was burned out on dispensing 20 to 30 meds per elderly patient.

This issue is definitely more complicated than overprescribing by doctors. There are definitely providers out there guilty of this, but I've also directly read over medical notes where a use disorder presents itself this way:

1.) Patient has chronic pain, provider tries Tylenol, then ibuprofen, then Tylenol #3, and they all fail to work sufficiently.

2.) Patient is begrudgingly started on stronger opiates, either Tramadol or Norco after the above fails to manage pain. If it's pain on the 8-10 scale, Percocet or Morphine.

3.) The patient is on it for, let's say, a week. Often the provider doesn't have a say in this - at least in my little slice of Medicare/Medicaid patient care, there's something called "opiate naive" status where if a patient hasn't already received opiates in the last 60 days, they can only get a 7 day supply covered by insurance(there's exceptions, but only usually they're end of life/hospice care related). Since these patients are retired, they're not paying out of pocket so 7 days it is!

4.) Patient now has a higher threshold for what they consider relief from pain. Stubbed their toe? Regular Tylenol leaves too much discomfort, they now want to go straight back to complete relief. They begin to get more aggressive whenever pain management comes up on getting opioids. They start calling us after several more rounds given to them by the provider.

5.) After intervention, patient does not change behavior on drug seeking. It eventually evolves into an use disorder. Patient is eventually put on a rehab or recovery program if they have a good health plan. If not, they are simply taken off it with possibly Suboxone or Vivitrol prescribed to help them wean off. I rarely see a patient successfully weaned off. In elderly patients, they often have a bad fall or injury and wind up on them again for a lack of better options.

In long-term care especially, where I work right now, providers are often yo-yoing between fear about the DEA taking their license due to prescribing for the wrong person at the wrong time, and patient grievances for their pain being mismanaged. In Medicare/Medicaid, grievances filed by patients can be a *big* deal for these practices. Too many grievances, and you're no longer in network for these patients. So, when the patient starts threatening a grievance for being denied opiates, providers often relent.

I don't blame patients who develop use disorder, however I also don't blame overprescribing providers writ large for the whole of the issue. It's complicated, and honestly I think at the root of this is a plethora of things: not a wide enough spectrum of pain management options where we're at in medicine right now, the grievance system being divorced from consideration of use disorders, lack of good psychiatric care, and - this may be anecdotal, this last one - the lack of dignity in modern healthcare for the patient.

Our elderly patients are often the most at risk for opioid use disorder, and they deal with insurance loving up their regimens on a daily basis. There's a certain degree of "you're on your own, you need to advocate for yourself" once their situation deviates further from how someone's medicine "should" be processed and dispensed, and it's infuriating to get caught up in that. They suddenly have to do dozens of phone calls a week for appointments, orders, specialists - the stress makes a drug that numbs and sedates you positively attractive in comparison to dealing with such a day to day reality. It's why I put up with them when they start yelling at the phone asking where their Norco is, unaware their provider refused to prescribe more yet. How they feel is valid. Often, the providers are doing their best, too. Sometimes these situations are a result of substandard care on a bureaucratic level or a result of social problems bigger than healthcare(I deal with elderly patients becoming homeless unexpectedly daily and, as you can imagine, that adds to their use disorders risks due to the added stress).

Overprescribing is definitely a problem and I've seen that, as well, but let's not conflate all providers who prescribe opiates as part of the problem. That's how you get pharmacists refusing to fill legitimately needed scripts for opiates due to stereotypes about opiate use. We need to solve all of the attendant problems that lead to use disorders, one by one(providing social workers to the elderly consistently and also caretakers when they can't manage their own med compliance would be a big start).

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

FizFashizzle posted:

1. We don't say "addict" anymore. You were not an addict, you had a use disorder. This might seem like a pointless distinction, but it's easy to subconsciously disregard someone who is just "an addict." The guilt and shame people feel about what they're doing, what they've done etc is a huge barrier to treatment, and it's generally the first thing I try to cut through. A person has tuberculosis; we don't call them consumptive.

This is exactly how my brother died. I'm not an addict, I don't need treatment, I can handle it myself. Worked for a while until it didn't.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zinkovich posted:

This issue is definitely more complicated than overprescribing by doctors. There are definitely providers out there guilty of this, but I've also directly read over medical notes where a use disorder presents itself this way:

1.) Patient has chronic pain, provider tries Tylenol, then ibuprofen, then Tylenol #3, and they all fail to work sufficiently.

2.) Patient is begrudgingly started on stronger opiates, either Tramadol or Norco after the above fails to manage pain. If it's pain on the 8-10 scale, Percocet or Morphine.

3.) The patient is on it for, let's say, a week. Often the provider doesn't have a say in this - at least in my little slice of Medicare/Medicaid patient care, there's something called "opiate naive" status where if a patient hasn't already received opiates in the last 60 days, they can only get a 7 day supply covered by insurance(there's exceptions, but only usually they're end of life/hospice care related). Since these patients are retired, they're not paying out of pocket so 7 days it is!

4.) Patient now has a higher threshold for what they consider relief from pain. Stubbed their toe? Regular Tylenol leaves too much discomfort, they now want to go straight back to complete relief. They begin to get more aggressive whenever pain management comes up on getting opioids. They start calling us after several more rounds given to them by the provider.

. . .

Overprescribing is definitely a problem and I've seen that, as well, but let's not conflate all providers who prescribe opiates as part of the problem. That's how you get pharmacists refusing to fill legitimately needed scripts for opiates due to stereotypes about opiate use. We need to solve all of the attendant problems that lead to use disorders, one by one(providing social workers to the elderly consistently and also caretakers when they can't manage their own med compliance would be a big start).

Could someone who has comparable insight into pain management in other parts of the world chine in?

In Asia Minor, I have observed relatives being prescribed small amounts of weaker opioids (tramadol, codeine) to deal with post-operative pain (stronger meds while in hospital). People who are dying can get fentanyl patches. Heroin addicts, in general, don't start this way in that country.

Here are some excerpts from the opioid section of the UNODC World Report on Drugs 2022:

quote:

The non-medical use of pharmaceutical opioids began increasing in 1997, coinciding with an increase in prescriptions of opioids for pain management, particularly for chronic non-cancer-related pain management, and between that year and 2005, the number of such prescriptions surged more than 500 per cent.i

Among the factors altering trends of increased initiation into the non-medical use of pharmaceutical opioids was that such opioids were considered safer than heroin, as they did not carry the stigma of using an “illicit” drug and were less affected by fluctuations in quality or dosage. A study carried out in the period 2010–2013 showed that recent new users of opioids were more likely to be older men and women living in less urbanized areas (75 per cent of such users) who had been introduced, in most cases (75 per cent of cases), to opioids through pharmaceutical drugs;ii this stands in contrast to respondents who began using heroin in the 1960s, who were predominantly young men (83 per cent) and whose first opioid used was mostly heroin.

Beginning in 2006, a gradual increase in heroin use was observed in parts of the United States, attributed mainly to the availability of cheaper heroin with higher purity and a change in the formulation of pharmaceutical opioids, making them crush-proof and less liable to misuse. The transition from the non-medical use of pharmaceutical opioids to the use of heroin, especially among young people, has been, in many cases, part of the progression of addiction in a subgroup of users who considered it too costly to maintain their patterns of use and switched to heroin, as they considered the drug more reliably available through drug dealers, more potent and more cost-effective than pharmaceutical opioids.

quote:

The availability of pharmaceutical opioids under international control for medical purposes more than doubled in the period 2000–2010 before declining by 15 per cent between 2012 and 2019 and remaining basically stable in 2020. The overall decline after 2012 was primarily driven by declines in North America, where, starting in 2010, state and federal government agencies tightened prescribing policy guidelines and monitoring.

quote:

Availability of pharmaceutical opioids continues to be highly unequal across regions and subregions

The highest amounts available per capita of opioids under international control for medical purposes continued to be concentrated in North America, with Western and Central Europe, and Australia and New Zealand also above the global average. However, the discrepancy in availability compared with other regions continues to be extremely large, with the number of standardized doses of opioids controlled under the 1961 Single Convention available per 1 million inhabitants being about 7,500 times higher in North America than in West and Central Africa in 2020, a ratio similar to 2019. Including buprenorphine, controlled under Schedule III of the 1971 Convention on Psychotropic Substances, the number of standardized doses of controlled opioids were 755 times higher in North America than in West and Central Africa in 2020. Expressed in S-DDD, just 7 per cent of all internationally controlled (under the Conventions of 1961 and 1971) opioids were available for consumption in lowand middle-income countries, even though those countries accounted for 84 per cent of the world’s total population.

quote:

There are currently two main dynamically evolving non-medical opioid use epidemics in the world, both driven by the relatively high availability of opioids produced at low cost. One is related to illicitly produced fentanyls, which have been mixed with heroin and
other drugs in North America. The second affects North Africa, West Africa, the Near and Middle East and South-West Asia and concerns the non-medical use of tramadol.

quote:

The estimated prevalence of opioid use in North America is high in comparison with the global average, with an estimated 3.4 per cent of the population aged 15–64 years reporting past-year opioid use and 0.7 per cent reporting use of opiates in 2020. This translates to 11 million past-year opioid users and 2.4 million past-year users of opiates in the subregion.
According to a national household survey, in 2020,o it is estimated that 9.5 million people in the United States had used opioids non-medically in the past year. Of these, 9.3 million people had used pharmaceutical opioids in a manner not according to a doctor’s prescription, 902,000 people had used heroin, and about 700,000 people had used both pharmaceutical opioids for non-medical purposes and heroin.

quote:

The use of fentanyls has been reported by several countries, although, currently, there are no indications of an epidemic of non-medical use and its related health consequences outside of North America, where experience has shown that fentanyls (and other research or novel opioids) can spread rapidly.

To me the opiate problem in North America, especially the US, seems exceptional in nature, and it looks to me that the proximate cause of its problem is overprescribing at a level that doesn't happen elsewhere.

Are Americans less tolerant of pain than other peoples of the world? Why?

quote:

Fentanyls on the United States drugs market have been generally sold as “heroin”, identified as “fentanyl-adulterated or substituted heroin (FASH)”.

I lost a cousin to FASH a year ago. My roommate’s brother has been miraculously hanging in there for decades of use; many of his friends are already dead. I'm getting tired of all the FASH in this country.

Zinkovich
May 2, 2009

skylined! posted:

This is exactly how my brother died. I'm not an addict, I don't need treatment, I can handle it myself. Worked for a while until it didn't.

There's a flip side to this - stereotypes about addicts can prevent friends and family from seeing the signs of drug abuse. My sister was a successful mother of a special needs child, successful in her career, and an incredibly kind person all around. She died from buying opiates off the street laced with Fentanyl. The hardest part from me was looking back at all the signs I missed. She definitely was high functioning for all the drug abuse I learned she engaged in that I had no clue about.

Then, there's post-use disorder pain management - what do you do when a patient who has recovered from opiate use years ago develops cancer that causes profound pain? Well, this might be a case where the compassionate thing to do is prescribe them again despite a prior diagnosis because the pain is too severe.

We can't adopt the notion that someone is an addict by nature uncritically, it can be harmful. Hell, adopting the phrase "use disorders" doesn't imply they can handle it on their own. If anything, the opposite - people rarely overcome their disorders individually when it comes to the big ones.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I wouldn't worry too much about Xylazine. That's just the animal sedative of the hour, and I've never even seen it come up in a screen.

Tianeptine is the REALLY hosed up one that's already burning through people. Go to any construction site and you'll see industrial sized trash bags full of empty bottles. You can buy that in stores and it is a straight shot to IV fent.

mawarannahr posted:

No but when you turn spend thirty years transforming healthcare around a model where providers are heavily rated around customer experience you create a lot of perverse incentives.

Part of the way HCA grades their providers, which ties into compensation, is by trawling all the various review sites for mentions and putting it into a formula. On the extreme end you have people getting dinged because a patient couldn't get a parking space, but on the more common you're going to get people who did not "have a good patient experience" and express this. Sometimes this is valid, sometimes it because the doctor did not believe they were allergic to everything "except the one that starts with the letter D."

And then there's the kind of sociopaths who will give you a bad review on TripAdvisor.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mawarannahr posted:

Americans have a combination of

a) big availability of opiates
b) a push to prescribe them
C) a terrible healthcare system

Zinkovich
May 2, 2009

quote:

Could someone who has comparable insight into pain management in other parts of the world chine in?

In Asia Minor, I have observed relatives being prescribed small amounts of weaker opioids (tramadol, codeine) to deal with post-operative pain (stronger meds while in hospital). People who are dying can get fentanyl patches. Heroin addicts, in general, don't start this way in that country.

I can at least speak for it in the U.S.

I process a lot of end of life care, and for our patients Fentanyl prescriptions are rare. Usually, it's liquid or IV morphine for pain, liquid or IV lorazepam for anxiety, and atropine given orally for secretions. Probably due to the dosage form, solutions and IV administration is superior to patches as the dosage can be controlled better.

I've only seen fentanyl prescribed outside of EOL care for constant, peak pain - think state 3 or 4 cancer. The majority of scripts in regular use for opioids I see are for Hydrocodone and Tramadol by a mile. It dwarfs all the others quite a bit. I specifically service elderly patients now, though, so I'll be curious as to what other people have to say.

quote:

Here are some excerpts from the opioid section of the UNODC World Report on Drugs 2022:

To me the opiate problem in North America, especially the US, seems exceptional in nature, and it looks to me that the proximate cause of its problem is overprescribing at a level that doesn't happen elsewhere.

There's a few reasons beyond simply overprescribing - which yes, is a legitimate problem:

1.) The big one - preventative care in the U.S. is poor. We screen less due to cost, we take less interventive steps, and conditions escalate more often leading to a higher incidence of chronic pain for a given condition.

Here's a source - the US is often last or close to last in healthcare access among first world countries: https://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/fund-reports/2021/aug/mirror-mirror-2021-reflecting-poorly

Untreated conditions mean a higher incidence of severe pain.

20 percent of US adults report chronic pain, and 8 percent report severe chronic pain(!!!). See here: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/wr/mm6736a2.htm - I don't know the numbers for other parts of the world, but that's definitely a higher percentage than it should be. The opioid problem has a lot of unacknowledged factors to it, and in the US healthcare access is definitely one. Sometimes folks are so afraid of healthcare bills here they will wait until they're 7 to 10 on the pain skill to come in for treatment. Of course that's going to contribute, as well, to more opiates being prescribed.

2.) Homelessness, stress, and lack of psychiatric care can lead to untreated use disorders. If you can't get help or a treatment program, your ability to wean off these meds is going to be hampered.

3.) Pain tolerance isn't exactly the issue if a patient is in severe pain due to runaway health problems left untreated by poor healthcare, and then develops dependency after their condition improves. The problem in these cases is the elephant in the room on the US opioid crisis: the number of people who can't afford to treat the conditions causing their pain. That discussion is definitely one many lobbies would like to avoid, because y'know, privatized healthcare.

quote:

I lost a cousin to FASH a year ago. My roommate’s brother has been miraculously hanging in there for decades of use; many of his friends are already dead. I'm getting tired of all the FASH in this country.

I'm so sorry you went through that. Losing family and friends to addiction, I know the pain never quite goes away. I think limiting the prescribing of opioids and stopping there is a danger here in the US across the ocean in leaving the real problems out of sight, out of mind - we need to address substandard preventative care my country and increase healthcare access but we aren't doing anything to make it happen right now in a real way because many here know nothing about the differences in treatment between here and countries with universal access. It's sad and private healthcare and pharmaceutical companies are still the larger enemy in this scenario.

Zinkovich fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 9, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here is something that will probably be controversial.

The American Academy of Pediatrics is now recommending that kids with weight problems be considered for new anti-obesity drugs as early as age 12 and bariatric surgery as early as age 13.

Their study found that the eating habits of children rarely change once they become an adult and that early and aggressive anti-obesity treatment is the most effective method.

According to the AAP, diet and exercise alone won't work for a small portion of people and a larger portion of people just can't/won't make the lifestyle adjustments required as an adult. That means that breaking the habits through drug or surgical intervention as a youth is the most effective technique.

Some doctors, as mentioned in the article, are against this and worry it will shift people even further away from making lifestyle changes to reduce obesity. Additionally, they worry about the long-term impact of being dependent on surgery or drugs to maintain a healthy weight and that there isn't really a universal standard for determining who might need them versus who might be fine with other less serious interventions.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1612460456647573504

quote:

Consider drugs and surgery early for obesity in kids, new guidelines say: "Waiting doesn't work"

Children struggling with obesity should be evaluated and treated early and aggressively, including with medications for kids as young as 12 and surgery for those as young as 13, according to new guidelines released Monday.

The longstanding practice of "watchful waiting," or delaying treatment to see whether children and teens outgrow or overcome obesity on their own only worsens the problem that affects more than 14.4 million young people in the U.S., researchers say. Left untreated, obesity can lead to lifelong health problems, including high blood pressure, diabetes and depression.

"Waiting doesn't work," said Dr. Ihuoma Eneli, co-author of the first guidance on childhood obesity in 15 years from the American Academy of Pediatrics. "What we see is a continuation of weight gain and the likelihood that they'll have (obesity) in adulthood."

For the first time, the group's guidance sets ages at which kids and teens should be offered medical treatments such as drugs and surgery — in addition to intensive diet, exercise and other behavior and lifestyle interventions, said Eneli, director of the Center for Healthy Weight and Nutrition at Nationwide Children's Hospital.

In general, doctors should offer adolescents 12 and older who have obesity access to appropriate drugs and teens 13 and older with severe obesity referrals for weight-loss surgery, though situations may vary.

The guidelines aim to reset the inaccurate view of obesity as "a personal problem, maybe a failure of the person's diligence," said Dr. Sandra Hassink, medical director for the AAP Institute for Healthy Childhood weight, and a co-author of the guidelines.

"This is not different than you have asthma and now we have an inhaler for you," Hassink said.

Young people who have a body mass index that meets or exceeds the 95th percentile for kids of the same age and gender are considered obese. Kids who reach or exceed the 120th percentile are considered to have severe obesity. BMI is a measure of body size based on a calculation of height and weight.

Obesity affects nearly 20% of kids and teens in the U.S. and about 42% of adults, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The group's guidance takes into consideration that obesity is a biological problem and that the condition is a complex, chronic disease, said Aaron Kelly, co-director of the Center for Pediatric Obesity Medicine at the University of Minnesota.

"Obesity is not a lifestyle problem. It is not a lifestyle disease," he said. "It predominately emerges from biological factors."

The guidelines come as new drug treatments for obesity in kids have emerged, including approval late last month of Wegovy, a weekly injection, for use in children ages 12 and older. Different doses of the drug, called semaglutide, are also used under different names to treat diabetes. A recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that Wegovy, made by Novo Nordisk, helped teens reduce their BMI by about 16% on average, better than the results in adults.

Within days of the Dec. 23 authorization, pediatrician Dr. Claudia Fox had prescribed the drug for one of her patients, a 12-year-old girl.

"What it offers patients is the possibility of even having an almost normal body mass index," said Fox, also a weight management specialist at the University of Minnesota. "It's like a whole different level of improvement."

The drug affects how the pathways between the brain and the gut regulate energy, said Dr. Justin Ryder, an obesity researcher at Lurie Children's Hospital in Chicago.

"It works on how your brain and stomach communicate with one another and helps you feel more full than you would be," he said.

Still, specific doses of semaglutide and other anti-obesity drugs have been hard to get because of recent shortages caused by manufacturing problems and high demand, spurred in part by celebrities on TikTok and other social media platforms boasting about enhanced weight loss.

In addition, many insurers won't pay for the medication, which costs about $1,300 a month. "I sent the prescription yesterday," Fox said. "I'm not holding my breath that insurance will cover it."

One expert in pediatric obesity cautioned that while kids with obesity must be treated early and intensively, he worries that some doctors may turn too quickly to drugs or surgery.

"It's not that I'm against the medications," said Dr. Robert Lustig, a longtime specialist in pediatric endocrinology at the University of California, San Francisco. "I'm against the willy-nilly use of those medications without addressing the cause of the problem."

Lustig said children must be evaluated individually to understand all of the factors that contribute to obesity. He has long blamed too much sugar for the rise in obesity. He urges a sharp focus on diet, particularly ultraprocessed foods that are high in sugar and low in fiber.

Dr. Stephanie Byrne, a pediatrician at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, said she'd like more research about the drug's efficacy in a more diverse group of children and about potential long-term effects before she begins prescribing it regularly.

"I would want to see it be used on a little more consistent basis," she said. "And I would have to have that patient come in pretty frequently to be monitored."

At the same time, she welcomed the group's new emphasis on prompt, intensive treatment for obesity in kids.

"I definitely think this is a realization that diet and exercise is not going to do it for a number of teens who are struggling with this — maybe the majority," she said.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 9, 2023

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

...wasn't there just a study published that said that being "fat" produced no worse outcomes compared to being "skinny" after controlling for delayed diagnosis by doctors because the doctors told the paicents that their complaint was *because* they were fat and not cancer or whatever it ended up being.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Gyges posted:

I'm sorry, are you saying that Joe Biden, Democratic Leadership and every Democrat President since at least Carter haven't tried to bargain with the Republicans to cut SS and other entitlements? Because that's what I was talking about, not trying to get Obama to wreck up the accomplishment he's most proud of.

Your response was involved in the conversation that stemmed from FlamingLiberal talking about raising the debt ceiling while the Republicans were in control of the House. Which is exactly what Obama did without folding to a bunch of their demands and why I thought it was a relevant point.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Twincityhacker posted:

...wasn't there just a study published that said that being "fat" produced no worse outcomes compared to being "skinny" after controlling for delayed diagnosis by doctors because the doctors told the paicents that their complaint was *because* they were fat and not cancer or whatever it ended up being.

Was there? If there was, can you post it?

I have seen some studies that say being 10-15 pounds overweight actually produced better health outcomes when suffering from a serious injury (because you had more excess fat to draw from), but I haven't seen anything that says that obesity has no impact on health outcomes. It would also help if we knew what definition of "fat" they were working with. Because being 15 pounds overweight is very different from being 200 pounds overweight.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Twincityhacker posted:

I thought it was if you were somewhat overweight it's fine but obesity comes with its own issues. I know BMI is being somewhat phased out too cause its just tries to put everyone in one box.

I mean doctors are only looking at one slice of the pie here (er...so to speak), they are looking at the medical side so ok fine this is what they are recommending medically. The fact is our farm subsidies and lifestyle and lack of willingness to provide free healthy food at schools is going unaddressed. This is before we talk about how outmoded the school day is and we should probably allow for more outdoor physical activities for kids.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Twincityhacker posted:

Saving this one alongside the Atkins diet thread in case it goes places

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Twincityhacker posted:

I feel like if you post stuff like this it behooves you to actually find that study rather than repeating the outcome you half remember with nothing to back it up.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

I thought it was if you were somewhat overweight it's fine but obesity comes with its own issues. I know BMI is being somewhat phased out too cause its just tries to put everyone in one box.

I mean doctors are only looking at one slice of the pie here (er...so to speak), they are looking at the medical side so ok fine this is what they are recommending medically. The fact is our farm subsidies and lifestyle and lack of willingness to provide free healthy food at schools is going unaddressed. This is before we talk about how outmoded the school day is and we should probably allow for more outdoor physical activities for kids.

In elementary school we had to fight for more recess time. We managed to get up to twenty minutes from 15. Fifteen minutes of recess a day. For kids 5-12 (they also only had 15 minutes to eat). And then they wonder why they can't sit still and act up and are overweight/obese.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Twincityhacker posted:

Considering that the primary comorbidity with Covid was being overweight, I'm highly skeptical that such a study exists in the way you're phrasing it. The higher risk in health outcomes is associated with high levels of intra-abdominal fat which is not necessarily directly correlated with how overweight someone "looks".

I'm not even sure how you can control for what you're saying, as it's doctors telling chronically overweight patients that they are at risk for diseases if they don't lose weight, and then they in fact get diseases.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 9, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Oracle posted:

In elementary school we had to fight for more recess time. We managed to get up to twenty minutes from 15. Fifteen minutes of recess a day. For kids 5-12 (they also only had 15 minutes to eat). And then they wonder why they can't sit still and act up and are overweight/obese.

There's no time in the school day for recess, gotta cram in as much prep work as possible for the myriad array of standardized tests that've been implemented over the last quarter-century due to declining academic performance, which is obviously all teachers' fault and not at all the fault of a lack of investment in education and the breakdown of supportive family and community structures in society writ large. Gotta keep the teachers accountable and the wallets of the psychometrics industry full, so playtime is over, Johnnie and Janie, start hittin' the books!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Judgy Fucker posted:

There's no time in the school day for recess, gotta cram in as much prep work as possible for the myriad array of standardized tests that've been implemented over the last quarter-century due to declining academic performance, which is obviously all teachers' fault and not at all the fault of a lack of investment in education and the breakdown of supportive family and community structures in society writ large. Gotta keep the teachers accountable and the wallets of the psychometrics industry full, so playtime is over, Johnnie and Janie, start hittin' the books!

The education system is in a horrible state because it's so frequently shat upon by those in power, largely ignored by the people who can buy their way out of it, and the things that teachers and admins on the ground do to keep the poo poo down to shoe level are awful. No wonder we have a bunch of students who are stressed out, not learning much of any use, and physically inactive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Judgy Fucker posted:

This seems so odd because getting regular exercise usually improves educational outcomes, so depriving kids of exercise is just going to hinder academic performance. As a kid who was very overweight at 12, and then got down to a healthy weight in high school, telling parents their kid should have surgery seems kind of crazy to me. The article does say this is for kids in the 95th percentile of BMI, and I don't remember what I would've been at that age. Just seems like there are other approaches we need to take to address obesity that don't revolve around drugs and surgery. Those solutions are societal though.