Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

catlord posted:

Hasn't Zaslav gotten pissy at Netflix over something that's been a thing for ages but he's just now noticed and has like, killed all talks of new projects with them?

Zaslav got pissed at the payment terms that the previous administration worked out with Netflix for The Sandman (I think Netflix only has to make payments at the 6-, 12- and 24-month marks after launch), and also how long they were taking to order a second season. And so Zaslav ordered that its arrangements with Netflix and other third-party streamers be re-evaluated, including possible exit options.

Arist posted:

From what I've heard it's a pretty poorly-kept secret that between content acquisition and the overhead of running the platform, streaming is pretty hard to make money on.

It's not necessarily hard to make money--Netflix did for years before they got into the film production and distribution business, causing them to hemorrhage about two-thirds of their licensed content since 2014--but the balkanization of streaming services has led to a ridiculous arms race in terms of content spend that is absolutely in no way sustainable. Netflix is spending $17 billion a year on content; Apple TV+ is spending $6 billion; Amazon Prime Video spent $16 billion last year; God knows what Disney's spend on D+ and Hulu is, and then you have the smaller players like Paramount+ and Peacock and Starz and AMC+ and so on. It's an all-out war for eyeballs, and there are only so many hours in a day available for people to watch stuff.

I mean, remember that Netflix forked out $450 million for two Knives Out sequels. Can Ted Sarandos say that two Knives Out sequels are going to generate anywhere near that much money in new subscriptions?

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Timby posted:

I mean, remember that Netflix forked out $450 million for two Knives Out sequels. Can Ted Sarandos say that two Knives Out sequels are going to generate anywhere near that much money in new subscriptions?

There's definitely going to be another? Hooray! Maybe I won't cancel my sub.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Put another way, Netflix made money when they were pretty much the only streaming service around. They started making their own content when it was clear they'd start losing what they have to home grown services. With a few exceptions, I think the Netflix stuff has been made with a tight eye on budget, they seem to have a model of a few tentpoles (like Knives Out) and a bunch of lower budget stuff that's made to have compelling drops at the end of each episode so folks say "ok, I'm not sure if that made sense, but I'll watch the next one".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Netflix made money because the contracts back then were relatively small. Once the other companies knew there was money in it they either built their own or wanted a lot for the rights.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bruceski posted:

Rian Johnson also has a case-of-the-week series on Netflix with Natasha Lyonne.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lobok posted:

Rian Johnson also has a case-of-the-week series on Netflix with Natasha Lyonne.
Nope

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I love the WB Exec as Homer Simpson Pee-Wee football coach that's going on

Now comes the easiest part of any hatchet man's job - The Cuts. Now while I wasn't able to cut everyone I wanted to, I have cut a lot of you.

Westworld, is cut

Raised by Wolves is cut

Wonder Woman, you're out of here

Batgirl, I like your hustle and you have good buzz, which is why it was so hard to cut you

The rest of you will continue as planned. Except you, you and you (Points to Aquaman, Shazam, Black Adam)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Timby posted:

It's not necessarily hard to make money--Netflix did for years before they got into the film production and distribution business, causing them to hemorrhage about two-thirds of their licensed content since 2014--but the balkanization of streaming services has led to a ridiculous arms race in terms of content spend that is absolutely in no way sustainable. Netflix is spending $17 billion a year on content; Apple TV+ is spending $6 billion; Amazon Prime Video spent $16 billion last year; God knows what Disney's spend on D+ and Hulu is, and then you have the smaller players like Paramount+ and Peacock and Starz and AMC+ and so on. It's an all-out war for eyeballs, and there are only so many hours in a day available for people to watch stuff.
Exactly, it's an all out arms race as you say, started by the big studios in order to stop netflix from owning the entire market, and as long as the studios keep at it, they should be able to win in the long run.

WB as a giant studio should be able to keep this going as long as Disney does, but it seems they got saddled with billions in debt from AT&T and a CEO (Mr. Zsas) who only knows slashing (budgets) and killing (projects).

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 9, 2023

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Bruceski posted:

I mean you could probably cancel it for a couple years at least

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh right, my bad. So many dang streaming services now.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lobok posted:

Oh right, my bad. So many dang streaming services now.

lol remember DC Universe?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

F.D. Signifier posted:

lol remember DC Universe?

And I've got at least five others through a combo of my library card, a VPN, and some passwords from American friends.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Timby posted:

I wonder how well D+ and Hulu do by virtue of not taking stuff off they have the rights to in perpetuity. Like I do have friends with kids who keep D+ just because if there's nothing else they can watch they can always have them watch Frozen or something for the millionth time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

D+ has had massive losses and was part of what got Chapek fired.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
There is no reason a company should not or could not put their entire video library on their streaming service.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Aphrodite posted:

D+ has had massive losses and was part of what got Chapek fired.
Chapek was really not well liked by the shareholders. Whereas they adore Bob Iger. Chapek took over Disney right before the pandemic really hosed them over so rightly or not he took the blame for the last couple of years that were impacted by Covid.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

There is no reason a company should not or could not put their entire video library on their streaming service.

That's what drove me off HBO Max even before everything. Pretty sure you can always have 1978's Superman on it since you own it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

There are still some streaming rights holdovers where they sold it to someone else before they had their thing. Like how Paramount Plus doesn't have Yellowstone on it despite it being one of Paramount's flagship shows because they signed an exclusive streaming deal with someone else.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Also if you out your entire catalog on then everyone watches their fill and doesn't reup. Disney+ saw a big drop off and that was a major part of it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

There are still some streaming rights holdovers where they sold it to someone else before they had their thing. Like how Paramount Plus doesn't have Yellowstone on it despite it being one of Paramount's flagship shows because they signed an exclusive streaming deal with someone else.

Opopanax posted:

Also if you out your entire catalog on then everyone watches their fill and doesn't reup. Disney+ saw a big drop off and that was a major part of it

There is over 100 years of movies and TV shows for these companies. People will never run out of content

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

There is over 100 years of movies and TV shows for these companies. People will never run out of content

Sure, but nobody is signing up for D+ to watch the Don Knotts collection. You watch the big stuff you haven't seen in years, then delve into some of the more obscure stuff, and then after a year or two you're just waiting for new stuff. Disney at least has been pumping a lot of new content out, but they also have enough money to do that and let them be loss leaders

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Thank you Opopanax for explaining how limiting access to art and culture is in fact good. 👍

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’m not defending it, I’m saying why they don’t do it. At the end of the day these are all multi billion dollar corps and they’re going to bow to the almighty dollar over what’s best for the customer every time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Disney literally has been doing this since home video existed. Remember the Disney vault?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Chapek was really not well liked by the shareholders. Whereas they adore Bob Iger. Chapek took over Disney right before the pandemic really hosed them over so rightly or not he took the blame for the last couple of years that were impacted by Covid.

Yes, but once they canned him they discovered he hid massive D+ losses even beyond what they thought in other departments.

Would it have suffered the same losses under Iger though? Almost certainly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Disney had to be dragged into Home Video and resisted releasing poo poo like Snow White for yeaaaaars. It's frankly amazing they're not cycling out classics left and right.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zack Snyder has probably the best gig anyone could have right now. His own IP(s) and a studio that (for better or worse) tends to not meddle with filmmakers much and he can do whatever he wants and go wild and do weird poo poo.

Idk why people need him to be dragged back into the dceu where he was clearly jerked around way too much to produce something coherent. (Extended cuts not included bc they were so much better)

Like instead of wishing James Gunn dies maybe just don’t watch the Dc movies and just be stoked that Snyder is doing cool poo poo

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
But those movies don't have Batman in iiiiit!
-some dude, somewhere

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CelticPredator posted:

Zack Snyder has probably the best gig anyone could have right now. His own IP(s) and a studio that (for better or worse) tends to not meddle with filmmakers much and he can do whatever he wants and go wild and do weird poo poo.

Idk why people need him to be dragged back into the dceu where he was clearly jerked around way too much to produce something coherent. (Extended cuts not included bc they were so much better)

Like instead of wishing James Gunn dies maybe just don’t watch the Dc movies and just be stoked that Snyder is doing cool poo poo
Pretty sure they only care when Snyder is doing DC stuff

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

TwoPair posted:

But those movies don't have Batman in iiiiit!
-some dude, somewhere
Neither did Snyder's movies :c00lbert:

Ḩ̸̙̤͖̀̅̈́̀́̋̄̀́̕͝Ȩ̶̹̹̬̈́͊͒̋̕Y̶̡̧̢̭̥͍̥̹̠̖̙̍̓̀͗̎̎͒̇̏͝Õ̴̞̰̤̝̮̺̓̀̌͆Ö̶̜̮͍͚̼͇̳̺͕̯́͜Ỡ̵͗̌̐̈́̊̈́̽̕͜Ó̷͍̬̲̘̰̼͉͌̆̓̓̾Ơ̸̧͕͚̖͓̘͕̥͛͒́͗͜O̶̧̲͉̠̟̰̙̻̰̥̤̽̉̅̅͂O̶͉͖̣̲̬̱͈̅́̀̃͑̿̏͐͠Ǫ̶̨͓͖͙͕̦̤̱͓̜͐͐̊̎O̸͚̮̭̗̭̲͒̾͐͑͗̉̈́͆͝

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like Snyder and I’m happy he’s doing his own stuff because he can just go wild with it and not have to worry about either a dumb exec or fans not liking his vision

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No I saw Army of the Dead. He still has to deal with the latter.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pretty sure they only care when Snyder is doing DC stuff

I don’t know, I imagine there’s probably a large intersection in the Venn diagram of online weirdos who obsess about DC movies and people who want to see The Fountainhead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but it’s his movie. Not the studios.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The cult of personality around certain directors is very much tied to their attachment to superhero films imo. Snyder is the most extreme example, but the only other filmmakers who come close to that level of fanbase is Nolan and Raimi. Super famous directors like Spielberg and Scorcese, though more celebrated widely, don't have a vociferous fanbase in the same way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It happens in the comics themselves too.

The "Carol Corps" didn't support the book at all when DeConnick left.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Aphrodite posted:

Remember how this movie went out of its way to show a Chekhov's Gun that made the audience immediately think about how sick it was going to be when it went off, then never actually fired it?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Remember how this movie went out of its way to show a Chekhov's Gun that made the audience immediately think about how sick it was going to be when it went off, then never actually fired it?

https://twitter.com/thejedahliker/status/1191438425552850944?s=20

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Please. Chekhov's Gun isn't a TV trope it's a Cinema Sin.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

It happens in the comics themselves too.

The "Carol Corps" didn't support the book at all when DeConnick left.

Also the book got better when she left.

Aphrodite posted:

Please. Chekhov's Gun isn't a TV trope it's a Cinema Sin.

Chekhov's Gun SUBVERTED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

The theatrical theory and criticism courses I took decades ago in college weren't that dissimilar from TV Tropes, I suppose.