Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Hearthstone has loads of free single player content

let me tell you about a lil game called "slay the spire"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

i was considering getting into the riot card game just because it was on the frontpage of gamepass lol

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
It's not bad. Lots of single player content.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

i was considering getting into the riot card game just because it was on the frontpage of gamepass lol

it's nothing earthshattering but it's a good time if you like CCGs, and, as previously mentioned, is designed in a way to not force you to fork over paychecks hand over fist just to be able to play it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

hahaha perfect

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Vermain posted:

let me tell you about a lil game called "slay the spire"

Kind of a different beast than a virtual CCG, but I have several hundred hours in it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
just come play Magic, it's outrageously expensive, involves shady needless gambling, you have to be your own dealer and shuffler, is wildly complicated, involves storage logistics problems, and is ran by a comically greedy corporation desperately trying to maximize how much they exploit players.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Khanstant posted:

just come play Magic, it's outrageously expensive, involves shady needless gambling, you have to be your own dealer and shuffler, is wildly complicated, involves storage logistics problems, and is ran by a comically greedy corporation desperately trying to maximize how much they exploit players.

I was enjoying the tutorial of the one on PC (not Arena) but then I hit the Blue tutorial and got my poo poo wrecked

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Idk how to play Magic but it was funny the time someone let me build a deck from their extras so I built a deck entirely of lands and had the guy I was playing against freaking out cause he thought any moment I was gonna drop some cards and utterly destroy him.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Well, I gave Snowrunner an honest try, but it is just taking far too long to get to a point where I feel like I'm accomplishing anything. Driving around looking for stuff is too difficult and slow to be fun for its own sake. Every task I can find involves bringing the big truck somewhere it can't go, and the only way to discover if this is the case is to spend what feels like an eternity driving out from the garage, picking up cargo, and inching through mud patches until I find one where my inching stops. I was trying to pick up upgrades in the scout truck, but it flipped over and the winch doesn't work upside down and the only way out was to once again teleport all the way back across the map so add this to the very, very short list of games I've rage-uninstalled. I guess it's for people willing to put in way more research and practice time

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lands as far as the eye can see but not a spell to cast

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I was enjoying the tutorial of the one on PC (not Arena) but then I hit the Blue tutorial and got my poo poo wrecked

blue is the "stop you from doing stuff" class but some of the stuff ppl get up to is nuts so u eventually appreciate it for being the hall monitor

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The holidays are over and I have to make some tough decisions with my gaming time...

Keep on going with Elden Ring? Get back to training in Tekken? Make some time for new releases, including the new FF14 patch "Gods Revel, Lands Tremble?"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
play the new games before they start to spoil

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

haveblue posted:

Well, I gave Snowrunner an honest try, but it is just taking far too long to get to a point where I feel like I'm accomplishing anything. Driving around looking for stuff is too difficult and slow to be fun for its own sake. Every task I can find involves bringing the big truck somewhere it can't go, and the only way to discover if this is the case is to spend what feels like an eternity driving out from the garage, picking up cargo, and inching through mud patches until I find one where my inching stops. I was trying to pick up upgrades in the scout truck, but it flipped over and the winch doesn't work upside down and the only way out was to once again teleport all the way back across the map so add this to the very, very short list of games I've rage-uninstalled. I guess it's for people willing to put in way more research and practice time

if you want an unsolicited recommendation for a vehicular game, try FUEL. great for chill, aimless touring of a massive map.

and it has races, if that's your thing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What car game is the closest to simulating Sorcerer?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The holidays are over and I have to make some tough decisions with my gaming time...

Keep on going with Elden Ring? Get back to training in Tekken? Make some time for new releases, including the new FF14 patch "Gods Revel, Lands Tremble?"

ER is a good "friday night with pizza" kinda game where you can sit down on the couch and get engrossed, so i'd do something like that

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Khanstant posted:

play the new games before they start to spoil

Games don't spoil they mature like a fine wine

*sniffs a copy of Ocarina of Time*

Ah this has the feel of a 1998, a great vintage that one

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Wildtortilla posted:

Wait wait wait this game is on iOS and free??!

It's free on iOS yeah, and specifically for mobile, if you die you get a free revive at the cost of watching a like 30 second ad. This revive is separate from the revives that were already in the game you eventually unlock

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kerrzhe posted:

i missed the goty thread party because i was playing monster hunter world for the last 12-13 hours or so

i'm gonna go ahead and add it to my 2023 list. see you in december

one of the best games of all time. in late december i got dragged back in by a friend who picked it up for the first time, so i will def be crossing the 800 hour mark in 2023.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

one of the best games of all time. in late december i got dragged back in by a friend who picked it up for the first time, so i will def be crossing the 800 hour mark in 2023.

yep i gifted mhw+ib to one of my friends for christmas. i just passed 1400 hours

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

Games don't spoil they mature like a fine wine

*sniffs a copy of Ocarina of Time*

Ah this has the feel of a 1998, a great vintage that one

Games are less a wine thing and more a cheese thing imo. This accounts for processed games and gamelike substitutes, games that age well, games that age poorly, the psychos who like the games so riddled with bugs that it's barely even a game anymore. The comparison also allows me to link this classic video of John Cleese trying to purchase a PS5 game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz1JWzyvv8A

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

you ever sit around minding your own business, when suddenly your brain decides to remind of that weird magazine ad for the Half-Life expansion Opposing Force?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1612259213253742593?s=20&t=chaUXP63fMnMUb9gSpxWdA

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Man, whoever this Zimmer guy is he's about to blow up getting to work with Pedro like that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hitman 4 lookin good

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
I wonder if he refers to his PVC contraptions as Eustachian tubes

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Outriders is the Diablo 3 of Shlooters (beg my pardon) in that it strips away most of the unnecessary faff that gets in the way of what we’re really playing these games for. Combat and build building, with a heavy dose of numbers going up.

Lot of smart streamlining, and everything's very clearly laid out. You're making meaningful build choices from early on. You're not wasting time decoding mathematical minutiae. You're picking what you want your gear to do. Even ignoring the item effects, you can feel the stat difference between gear (e.g., Do I want more health, gun power, or super power?).

It feels great to triumph over a hard section not by grinding or lowering the difficulty but by taking a moment to rethink your character. And it's that way from the beginning, which is pretty unusual for looters ime. But it's got D3's Torment system (from the start) so you can manage the difficulty curve yourself.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 9, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i like how 60 Minutes always has at least two really old anchors that have to have things explained to them multiple times by the person they're interviewing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rinkles posted:

Outriders is the Diablo 3 of Shlooters (beg my pardon) in that it strips away most of the unnecessary faff that gets in the way of what we’re really playing these games for. Combat and build building, with a heavy dose of numbers going up.

Lot of smart streamlining, and everything's very clearly laid out. You're making meaningful build choices from early on. You're not wasting time decoding mathematical minutiae. You're picking what you want your gear to do. Even ignoring the item effects, you can feel the stat difference between gear (e.g., Do I want more health, gun power, or super power?).

It feels great to triumph over a hard section not by grinding or lowering the difficulty but by taking a moment to rethink your character. And it's that way from the beginning, which is pretty unusual for looters ime. But it's got D3's Torment system (from the start) so you can manage the difficulty curve yourself.

There's absolutely loving bullshit boss near the end but it's pretty decent other than that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Not sure what they were thinking with the map, though. I guess you rarely really need it because you have a waypoint trail for any quest, and the maps are small and linear, but still.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Walla you can read your friend and mine ShallNoiseUpon's writeup of Magic Arena in the goty thread. It is perfectly possible to have fun playing that game without spending money

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Forgive the impromptu catpost but after 18 years of loyal fluffiness my cat's now chasing balls of yarn in Valhalla. I am sure he'd have had many interesting things to meow about 2023 releases.

Chev fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 9, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Chev posted:

Forgive the impromptu catpost but after 18 year of loyal fluffiness my cat's now chasing balls of yarn in Valhalla. I am sure he'd have had many interesting things to meow about 2023 releases.

Condolences.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
:( RIP, I hope their passing was peaceful and that you're coping in a healthy way.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Khanstant posted:

lands as far as the eye can see but not a spell to cast

Sounds like a lost line from "Ironic" by A-land-is Morissette.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Chev posted:

Forgive the impromptu catpost but after 18 years of loyal fluffiness my cat's now chasing balls of yarn in Valhalla. I am sure he'd have had many interesting things to meow about 2023 releases.

Losing a lifelong friend and cat is tough. Condolences.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Chev posted:

Empathetic condolences fellow goon. My cat is currently 19 and going strong thankfully, but I'm still having to lightly prepare myself that I could lose her anytime in the next year or two.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chev posted:

I am very sorry about your kitty. He was a beautiful friend. When you're ready for it emotionally, I hope you can bring a new cat into your home that needs one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

rest in peace precious kitty :(