Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka of lathspell

rear end-penny posted:

lmao that sounds kind of good

this

finished some rereads and am reading a pale view of hills

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

baka fwocka fwame posted:

this

finished some rereads and am reading a pale view of hills

Been ages since I read that one! I only read that and Remains of the Day from him, though.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

ToxicFrog

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

John Dies At The End 4 : If This Book Exists, You're In The Wrong Universe.

Another banger from David Wong/Jason Pargin. It's gross and funny and really fun to read.

What the gently caress, I apparently missed two entire John and Dave books? The last I've I read was This Book Is Full Of Spiders.

I know what I'm reading after this batch of C.J. Cherryh.

Ass-penny

John Dies At The End 4 : If This Book Exists, You're In The Wrong Universe.

Another banger from David Wong/Jason Pargin. It's gross and funny and really fun to read.

holy poo poo, that fuckin movie was based on a series of books??

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

ToxicFrog posted:

What the gently caress, I apparently missed two entire John and Dave books? The last I've I read was This Book Is Full Of Spiders.

I know what I'm reading after this batch of C.J. Cherryh.

You only missed "What The Hell Did I Just Read?" - this new one came out last week

rear end-penny posted:

at the time there was only the one book out, the movie didn't move units so no others got made - if you liked the movie, check em out

Ass-penny

All I remember about the movie is John died at the beginning and came back, and didn't actually die at the end, and I thought that was peculiar since that was the title of the film.

ToxicFrog

rear end-penny posted:

There was a movie?!

You only missed "What The Hell Did I Just Read?" - this new one came out last week

Oh, it turns out I did read that and completely forgot that I did so.

tutankhalmond

I read the entire Garfield collection on papyrus scroll

beer pal

ah that blessed cat who loves and hates

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

madmatt112

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I'm reading the biography of Terry Pratchett - "The Magic of Terry Pratchett" by Marc Burrows, and enjoying it.
I finally found a copy of Paris 1919 by Margaret MacMillan for 5 bucks at Value Village. Super interesting read for me.

I was sick last week and read a bit of Snuff (Pratchett) as comfort food.

madmatt112

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

oh and I’m partway through A Pattern Language by Christopher Alexander, that one’s pretty neat too

Finger Prince

I'm halfway through the 5th book (of 10) of the Shadows of the Apt series by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I've been puzzling as to what it is that's drawn me in to the series, why I've gone from book to book to book and will continue until the series is finished. They aren't page turners. There's times where I'll read like a third of a chapter and be like ok that's enough for today. But I keep coming back. I guess it's a rich world he's built that takes time to reveal, and some of it is how he reveals it. Also the characters, none of them really stand out as particularly relatable, especially to start with, but they get really fleshed out as the story goes on. Thalric, who is cast as a villain for the most part, is an excellent, even likeable character. And the protagonists don't always particularly endear, but their motivations are well explained. I dunno, I'm just finding I'm really enjoying the saga he's created, but I couldn't really tell you why.

beer pal

im reading the box man by kobo abe. its about a box man

Ass-penny

I've got just under 100 pages left in Confederacy of Dunces, I just have to actually sit down and read.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

baka of lathspell

beer pal posted:

im reading the box man by kobo abe. its about a box man

does he box things? is he a living box? is he the heavyweight champion

more questions than answers itt

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

beer pal

Kobo Abe, the internationally acclaimed author of The Woman in the Dunes, combines wildly imaginative fantasies and naturalistic prose to create narratives reminiscent of the work of Kafka and Beckett.

In this eerie and evocative masterpiece, there is a box man.

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I prefer the box ghost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXBE4t2B7ZA

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Jeff Vandermeer had a new book out last year and I never knew. Rectifying that now. It's called Hummingbird/Salamander and I'm jazzed on it

baka of lathspell

Jeff Vandermeer had a new book out last year and I never knew. Rectifying that now. It's called Hummingbird/Salamander and I'm jazzed on it

o that’s gotta be a sequel to dead astronauts. that book was quality work i should scope this

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

o that’s gotta be a sequel to dead astronauts. that book was quality work i should scope this

Iirc it has nothing to do with it. Hummingbird Salamander is this sort of weird noir thriller. It's good but it's not Southern Reach good imo

I just finished a collection of "philosophical horror" by Thomas Ligotti and am now reading the newly translated to English novel Solenoid by Mircea Cartarescu. It's a foot book that should keep me entertained for a while

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
beer pal

im reading pale fire (nabokov) pretty good

magic cactus

beer pal posted:

im reading pale fire (nabokov) pretty good

Pale Fire owns

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

magic cactus posted:

Pale Fire owns

What's it about?

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

3D Megadoodoo

I'm reading a book that is full of spiders.

Quadramind

Yo, that Book Is Full of Spiders, but the book I just finished is also full of spiders and is called Children of Time. Epic romp in space with spiders and bumbling humans.

3D Megadoodoo

Quadramind posted:

Yo, that Book Is Full of Spiders, but the book I just finished is also full of spiders and is called Children of Time. Epic romp in space with spiders and bumbling humans.

Oh I don't read epic romps, only gay romps.

biosterous

some folks here mentioned The Black Company novels so i picked them up and i am enjoying them. finished the first set, working on the second set (books of the south) now

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

beer pal

Saoshyant posted:

What's it about?

the book is presented as the publication of a long poem called 'pale fire' whose fictional author died shortly before its completion, but the guy who's publishing it and who wrote the introduction and commentary has a peculiar obsession with the poet and has his own narrative to tell through his annotations

baka of lathspell

beer pal posted:

the book is presented as the publication of a long poem called 'pale fire' whose fictional author died shortly before its completion, but the guy who's publishing it and who wrote the introduction and commentary has a peculiar obsession with the poet and has his own narrative to tell through his annotations

ah yes, like house of leaves

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

magic cactus

ah yes, like house of leaves
Probably a huge influence on house of leaves. Gene Wolfe too, now that I think about it.

biosterous

sounds like princess bride (the novel not the movie)

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

3D Megadoodoo

I found Bob Mortimer's The Satsuma Complex so I'm back to reading it. He writes pretty good. (It was hidden under a pile of shirts in the vestibule [because lmao at putting clothes in the wardrobe] but I slowly wore myself through said pile and it emerged!)

Quadramind

I'm listening to that right now. It's a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to telling someone to "go gently caress a puppet on the moon"

3D Megadoodoo

Quadramind posted:

I'm listening to that right now. It's a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to telling someone to "go gently caress a puppet on the moon"

Oh I hit that this morning on the bus. Also the pee cup scene was intense, very throught-provoking!

Quadramind

I love his unabashed silliness. Don't get me wrong, I like weighty stuff like David Foster Wallace, but I identify much more with Byob Mortimer's happy idiocy.

Quadramind

Yeah, piss cup is one of those parts I'm enjoying most, where the riffs and whimsy melt into introspection and philosophising.

Finger Prince

I've loved Bob Mortimer on Would I Lie To You and the other stuff I've seen him on. I think I'll have to check out his book!

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

biosterous posted:

sounds like princess bride (the novel not the movie)

Inconceivable

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
baka of lathspell

i read some of the fall of numenor. it’s pretty cool but becomes fic nonfic a third thru

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka of lathspell

i forgot to mention I finished pale view of hills i think very paley wow the hills

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)