Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

More coming

https://twitter.com/weather_west/status/1610667945587544064?s=61&t=Y-3TW_fRIjs3kjtdK_rIzQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
https://i.imgur.com/tDHoamu.mp4

Saw this in the schad thread, came here for the commentary but here ya go.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Had my first ever ski lesson yesterday, amazing how much progress you can make in a few hours with actual coaching. Went from barely making it down groomed blacks to doing some short but very steep off piste pitches. I’ve got five more weekly lessons booked, excited to see how I progress.

No new snow on the horizon but this arrived in the mail today to make cruising groomers a bit more fun for a while:

Amplid Pentaquark, will get it out for a few turns tomorrow.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Saw this in the schad thread, came here for the commentary but here ya go.

Man, I hate t-bars. Last time I used one was at Lake Louise and it shut down halfway up for literally half an hour due to a mechanical issue.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Man, I hate t-bars. Last time I used one was at Lake Louise and it shut down halfway up for literally half an hour due to a mechanical issue.

…and you stayed on it…?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

…and you stayed on it…?

lol.

That is the steepest t-bar I have ever seen though.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Steve French posted:

…and you stayed on it…?

I stayed on for quite a while, in the stupid hope that it would start again. It’s also a very steep lift so trying to let go and get my other foot in without basically doing what happened in the video was not an appealing prospect.

Edit: I was stuck in the upper half, which briefly steepens to almost 40 degrees before you get over the lip. Not the kind of spot I want to be one-footing it on the board. I ended up jumping off and grabbing one of the lines they ran along the side for such purposes.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 6, 2023

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I stayed on for quite a while, in the stupid hope that it would start again. It’s also a very steep lift so trying to let go and get my other foot in without basically doing what happened in the video was not an appealing prospect.

Edit: I was stuck in the upper half, which briefly steepens to almost 40 degrees before you get over the lip. Not the kind of spot I want to be one-footing it on the board. I ended up jumping off and grabbing one of the lines they ran along the side for such purposes.

Whippets out at all times would have solved this

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

That looks like a fun board. I’ve been crushed with work recently and the best 40% of the mountain is still closed so I haven’t really made as much of an effort as I normally would, but I’ve got some friends coming in to ski in the states for the first time, so we’re doing le grande tour next week and I’ll basically just be pointing at the things we should be skiing from the lift.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
well everything is hosed for the foreseeable in the NE but I make it out to MRG 3x myself and 2x with kiddo, got 20k vertical before it all got hosed.

Looks like practice slopes if we're lucky this weekend and maybe I'll take myself to sugarbush next week if they get enough manmade to have some things open.

Need some more snow in the next couple weeks for sure or this will be not much of a season.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Sooooo…it looks like the pandemic may have killed Ski Balm. You can still order it online, but a lot of reviews suggest the stuff is expired by months/years or otherwise in poor shape. I swear by the stuff as both a sunscreen and windburn/cold protection; it’s very thick so it forms a bit of a protective layer as opposed to just sunscreen.

Since it’s looking like this may be my last year with my remaining stocks, I’m curious if anyone’s using something similar that’s worth a try. It’s either that or back to the ol’ stick.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

waffle enthusiast posted:

Sooooo…it looks like the pandemic may have killed Ski Balm. You can still order it online, but a lot of reviews suggest the stuff is expired by months/years or otherwise in poor shape. I swear by the stuff as both a sunscreen and windburn/cold protection; it’s very thick so it forms a bit of a protective layer as opposed to just sunscreen.

Since it’s looking like this may be my last year with my remaining stocks, I’m curious if anyone’s using something similar that’s worth a try. It’s either that or back to the ol’ stick.

Sounds similar to Dermatone?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Yeah seconding dermatone as a replacement. It’s basically magic in a tin, I keep one in all my coats all winter.

Got out for a few runs on the pentaquark, it rips! Will take it out again this weekend, I need to get used to such an aggressive cambered board.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That reminds me that I saw these new poc goggles the other day that have little things that cover more of your face

https://na.pocsports.com/collections/snow-goggles/products/nexal-clarity?variant=43415980540070

I kind of want some.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

$230 bucks and sold out

Must be the poo poo

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Lake Louise t bar is fun. Separates the boarder experts from the intermediates.

Doctor confirmed to me that I am to put zero weight on my broken foot for at least another six weeks, but it hasn't stopped snowing in the Wasatch this whole time and right now it's 20+ inches of fresh and the road has been closed since 9:00am so the folks up there are enjoying the entire mountain to themselves.

Hopefully with all the snow the season goes to June and I can get back out in May.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I grew up skiing in Sweden and Norway on resorts that at best would have a fixed grip triple or quad, but 90% of the time it was T-bars. Skeikampen especially had a sketchy-rear end steep T-bar that went over a crest that would catch the sun and then freeze into the nastiest ice. I fell multiple times going over that patch which sucked a lot.

I'm likely out this season too with some form of back injury. All the dumping of snow in the sierras doesn't make it any less painful let me tell you

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

lol the resort forgot to report the snowfall today. You can see it on the pow cam (flipped upside down) but cmon.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I rode the t-bar in whistler a couple years ago mostly just to say I did and fell for the same reason as that guy, but was able to crawl off to the side and just be embarrassed about bailing and not because I annihilated everyone down hill.

The two teen girls on skis going up together behind me who jokingly asked if I was ok didnt help, though.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Had my first ever ski lesson yesterday, amazing how much progress you can make in a few hours with actual coaching. Went from barely making it down groomed blacks to doing some short but very steep off piste pitches. I’ve got five more weekly lessons booked, excited to see how I progress.

No new snow on the horizon but this arrived in the mail today to make cruising groomers a bit more fun for a while:

Amplid Pentaquark, will get it out for a few turns tomorrow.
The Amplid centrifugal series rules. My Amplid UNW8 is my favorite board for groomer days.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Yuns posted:

The Amplid centrifugal series rules. My Amplid UNW8 is my favorite board for groomer days.

I got out for a full day on it today and I never want to ride anything else for groomer days. It’s unbelievably stable and grippy for a 158! I need to rearrange my mind a bit.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Finally some more snow and cold temperatures in the Valais Alps. We're forecast for more through this week, fingers crossed.

I've started work early to try and justify taking a long lunch and go for a skin in the woods

The view from my downstairs toilet. Sunrise behind the Weisshorn.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I haven’t been to crested butte in 15 years what should I know before I go again

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Send it down Rambo run 1

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Went up to Baker on Saturday. It was supposed to snow 5" but it was raining when we got up there. We waited a bit and it stopped, eventually turned to snow. The place was empty, zero lines for any lift and the snow was reasonably soft. Sort of felt like spring skiing but less slushy.

Of course today they just got 10". I swear its a law of nature that powder is only a weekday thing.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Verman posted:

Of course today they just got 10". I swear its a law of nature that powder is only a weekday thing.

Unless you have little kids and weekdays are the only time you can get out without them

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
First actual snowboard vacation is already trippy. European blues that are way steeper than 25% in sections, narrow cat tracks on steep hillsides not secured with nets, white out while on top of a run on this afternoon on the first day. Sure nice for a beginner. :suicide:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Time posted:

I haven’t been to crested butte in 15 years what should I know before I go again

What info are you looking for?

Terrain: High Lift and North Face will have the best expert terrain. Paradise and East River for more mellow options.

Food: Slogar, Thai Chili 78, Secret Stash are all good options. Honestly most everything in town is good. Though you might need a reservation on the weekends. Check early. I haven’t been to The Last Steep since it reopened under new ownership, but it was a good burger. Butte Bagels for breakfast; if you’re staying in Mt. CB: Coffee Lab.

Depending on how much your copay is:

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Send it down Rambo run 1

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

waffle enthusiast posted:

What info are you looking for?

Terrain: High Lift and North Face will have the best expert terrain. Paradise and East River for more mellow options.

Food: Slogar, Thai Chili 78, Secret Stash are all good options. Honestly most everything in town is good. Though you might need a reservation on the weekends. Check early. I haven’t been to The Last Steep since it reopened under new ownership, but it was a good burger. Butte Bagels for breakfast; if you’re staying in Mt. CB: Coffee Lab.

Depending on how much your copay is:

Thank you my friend

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

I got out for a full day on it today and I never want to ride anything else for groomer days. It’s unbelievably stable and grippy for a 158! I need to rearrange my mind a bit.
If you haven't done so yet, ride it super aggressively. It's so much fun to really get it up on edge and drive your weight hard into the board to load it up. It absolutely explodes out of turns as the camber rebounds.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

At this point I'm starting to get a little concerned about my trip to Mammoth on the 20th

https://twitter.com/us_stormwatch/status/1612898394183434241?s=42&t=ACFM9lF4vg1lHWolvJc3Ew

Also

Okay Mammoth you're just actively trying to make it sound like poop now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mammoth shut down completely today due to the weather. I heard June was all-time this week though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I made this post on Jan 3 when Mammoth had around 200" on the season and they're at 310"-419" now on Jan 10.

The summit cam looks like someone stirring a bowl of ranch dressing

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

When Mammoth quotes a range of snowfall totals the second number is extremely fuzzy and basically just marketing. The snow study plot near Main Lodge is the highest elevation on that mountain where reliable snowfall data can be gathered. Everything above that is subject to so much wind it can not be measured with any consistency.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm so upset by the phrasing "all time froth" on a ski resort website.

No. Don't do that.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I got back on the mountain with my ex-instructor buddy and it is incredibly nice just being told what to fix instead of falling and having to figure it out from first principles. I gotta get some paid lessons.

Consecutive days still feel like torture though.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Finally got up to the mountain and was reminded what it's like to ride a board that needs wax: just constantly hitting slow down goo from some video game, extremely frustrating & annoying. What a difference even just a quick wax at the lodge makes and suddenly my day is saved.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Getting ready for heading off for a week skiing in Tignes on Friday, first got to fly back to Europe from South America. It's going to be real weird coming from 30-35C temperatures to -7C but looks like this week is dumping enough snow (and Tignes is high enough that most runs were open anyway) that it should be a solid week. Going to be taking a week long course having had a 20 year hiatus from skiing aside from 3 days last year.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
I was at Mammoth Sat and Sunday this weekend for my 11th and 12th day of the season. quite a good time up there. lots of lifts and the gondola to the top closed due to wind later in the day on both sat and sun

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
IDK, the third day down here in Austria, as a beginner, I widely prefer hosed up tracks to icy hard groomed tracks.

Also, snowboarding seems easier shitfaced coming from Apres-Ski. I made the 3km down from the party tent way smoother than anything else today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I prefer tracks only touched by 210cm straight skis in 1987 but it isn't the world we live in anymore.

unless you can afford Deer Valley