Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kaddish posted:

The way the whole series 5 things works is seems bad for new and active players that have no hope of getting these really powerful cards for months and months.
To elaborate on this by now daily release players will have gotten 6000 tokens. Daily beta players will have gotten 27000 tokens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
It's a system that seems to penalize/discourage new players, which is odd. That said, I think it's probably an extremely low percentage of players that have a significant amount of series 5 cards.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kaddish posted:

It's a system that seems to penalize/discourage new players, which is odd. That said, I think it's probably an extremely low percentage of players that have a significant amount of series 5 cards.

It is odd, but do keep in mind that the token system only went in last month. Before that, the only way to get Series 5 cards was the 0.25% drop chance from caches. And those older players with ~25k tokens didn't get any out of their older caches, so they got a lump sum as compensation when the system went online.

I get the impression Second Dinner is still fiddling extensively with how obtainable vs. whale exclusive they want the more powerful cards to be. Right now, they're definitely leaning way too far into the "gently caress newer players" side of the spectrum. Hopefully, they loosen the purse strings a bit before everyone loses interest.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I did end up skipping Psylocke. I do have Zabu-Negative-Surfer, but I'm still missing Wong and I'm having more success - and more fun - with my Dracula Kazoo deck.

Red Skull is a bit of a priority right now because I need more value in my Dracula deck and he definitely provides. Zero too since he will allow me to remove Skull's downside, or even Lizard's or Maw's. Very useful card in a lot of decks.

Now I just need Agent Coulson to go away so I can hopefully see something I want.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Who is Mystique turning into in her base art?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Opopanax posted:

Who is Mystique turning into in her base art?

Captain Marvel maybe? The shoulder strap seems out of place for her though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Skippy McPants posted:

It is odd, but do keep in mind that the token system only went in last month. Before that, the only way to get Series 5 cards was the 0.25% drop chance from caches. And those older players with ~25k tokens didn't get any out of their older caches, so they got a lump sum as compensation when the system went online.

There were no series 4 or 5 cards before the token shop; all those things were added on the same update.

edit: and the 12,000 tokens that CL3000+ players got as a lump sum is a lot. Can't stress that enough. For a new player starting now to earn that amount they'd have to advance well past 3000.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 9, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

I get the impression Second Dinner is still fiddling extensively with how obtainable vs. whale exclusive they want the more powerful cards to be. Right now, they're definitely leaning way too far into the "gently caress newer players" side of the spectrum. Hopefully, they loosen the purse strings a bit before everyone loses interest.
The endgame progression is imo fine. If four series 5s hasnt been enough for beta players idk what to say. And fwiw series 5s were not in the game before the token shop, the game was basically not monetized at that point.

To me the central problem of the game is the lack of deckbuilding restrictions where if they release a strong card you just play it with all the other strong cards and its the best deck. Iceman, Scorpion, Maximus, Cosmo, Aero, Leader + 6 is able to beat everything and you just make adjustments to fit whatever new thing and if new thing is better your version is inferior. Aero is the biggest offender imo because she just beats everything you dont even have to care about what you're queuing into or whats popular.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Oh just pulled Typhoid Mary. Along with having Ebony Maw and Zero I might have to start looking at a deck with these large idiots.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kaddish posted:

I guess this guy is a bit of a prick but this guide is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_pHO3atOk&t=604s

Lmao this guy banned me on Twitch for saying “Zabu is obviously a meta warping card that will affect every 4 drop card going forward” then went on a rant about people thinking they know balance before a card comes out and how he was more measured and smart.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Lmao this guy banned me on Twitch for saying “Zabu is obviously a meta warping card that will affect every 4 drop card going forward” then went on a rant about people thinking they know balance before a card comes out and how he was more measured and smart.

So he’s a card game player.

Edit: sorry, to be less card game player myself, dude is a pedantic rear end but his new player resources are some of the better ones available.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

He makes informative videos but also gets triggered by a single emote in-game so he mutes people at the start, so I guess it's tricky to stay levelheaded when playing card games full-time.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

does this thing even work? my pages always end up looking like this:

does it only work if i use the PC interface?

boar guy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 9, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

boar guy posted:

does this thing even work? my pages always end up looking like this:

I very briefly tried to get mine working on PC and I ~think~ the only version that works out of the box is the android version and you may have to emulate that on PC.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Kaddish posted:

I very briefly tried to get mine working on PC and I ~think~ the only version that works out of the box is the android version and you may have to emulate that on PC.

yeah i play on a Pixel and was hoping to look at the data on my PC but it only seems to pick up the few games I played through Steam

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

boar guy posted:

yeah i play on a Pixel and was hoping to look at the data on my PC but it only seems to pick up the few games I played through Steam

Yeah since I play on ios 90% of the time I didn't bother persuing it further.

Push El Burrito posted:

Oh just pulled Typhoid Mary. Along with having Ebony Maw and Zero I might have to start looking at a deck with these large idiots.

I tried running Zero, Typhoid Mary, Red Skull, Maw, etc it's fine. I didn't give it a ton of play.

I've been running Crossbones instead of Jessica and I see now why Jessica is played more. Often the Crossbones limitation doesn't matter but when you really need him in a certain lane and can't play him it sucks.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 9, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Whoopi Goldberg Numinus card when, Marvel?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I wonder what's going on behind the scenes with the patch that was promised last week and had the balance notes leaked. It's also been a few days since there has been a bundle for sale, which seems like them leaving money on the table. I can't imagine they are happy with this.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Does the "stop at 590 and build up credits" advice still apply? I'm bumping up against that soon.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Whoopi Goldberg Numinus card when, Marvel?

I had all those handbooks, and always enjoyed Galactus’ expression in the frame :haw:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Push El Burrito posted:

Does the "stop at 590 and build up credits" advice still apply? I'm bumping up against that soon.

Yes. Stop there and get to infinite/cap out your credits.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

If you want to ever hit infinite or rank up it will be a very easy time to do so. If that is one bundred percent meaningless to you and you dont care about rank rewards it wont do anything special for you.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
There's also the issue that you will get paired with opponents who are much, much deeper into pool 3. Even if you don't care about rank that could be demoralizing.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

uXs posted:

There's also the issue that you will get paired with opponents who are much, much deeper into pool 3. Even if you don't care about rank that could be demoralizing.

Yup, you may need to change your mindset from wanting to win to wanting to learn. You’ll face a lot of decks and can take note of which you thought were the coolest. From there, you can head toward building that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

To get an idea of how rough it is. There's a streamer who usually finishes around rank 150 who is trying to climb from 70 to infinite using only pool 2 and below cards this season (and without taking cubes from bots). 35 hours in he has gone from rank 70 to rank 73. His hidden mmr is higher so it wont be as rough for an actual new account but thats how lopsided the playing field is at CL600.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

JackDarko posted:

Yup, you may need to change your mindset from wanting to win to wanting to learn. You’ll face a lot of decks and can take note of which you thought were the coolest. From there, you can head toward building that.

lmao as someone who was bitching in this thread a lot about the 590 thing it’s basically the above. I’d recommend at least tryna get up to 70 for a reasonable goal & good chunk of credits. But after 590 the game definitely feels like you’ve just left the “tutorial” and now you’re playing with the big boys.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

doingitwrong posted:

I wonder what's going on behind the scenes with the patch that was promised last week and had the balance notes leaked. It's also been a few days since there has been a bundle for sale, which seems like them leaving money on the table. I can't imagine they are happy with this.

They gotta patch 3 versions at once and both Andorid and particularly iOS app review take time. It's has to pass all 3 of them before they'll schedule the update. Today Ben said "original eta is still good" so presumably they're looking at tuesday or wednesday for release.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Walla posted:

I did end up skipping Psylocke. I do have Zabu-Negative-Surfer, but I'm still missing Wong and I'm having more success - and more fun - with my Dracula Kazoo deck.

Red Skull is a bit of a priority right now because I need more value in my Dracula deck and he definitely provides. Zero too since he will allow me to remove Skull's downside, or even Lizard's or Maw's. Very useful card in a lot of decks.

Now I just need Agent Coulson to go away so I can hopefully see something I want.

Question for you and other Drac-Zoo friends. Are you frequently skipping turn 5 or is that typically only when you miss Drac? Having a lot of success climbing since I started actually playing this deck right but im finding myself playing Red Skull (without Zero, dont have him yet) moreso than Infinaut and that cannot be correct

Think my issue is thinking KM is way more prevalent than he is and im hesitant to empy my hand until turns 5-6

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 9, 2023

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

novamute posted:

So if you Leader into Luke's Bar with priority you copy their cards but if you don't have priority you don't copy anything they put into it. Just had a T5 Wave'd Leader v Leader play and I filled up my (non-Luke) lane with his Leaders but he didn't get anything off mine that I put into Luke. Then promptly lost the next game trying to T6 Leader without priority on a board with 2x Luke's and 1x Death's Domain

Sorry you've found one of the four or more different definitions of "play" the game uses behind the scenes.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

the_american_dream posted:

Question for you and other Drac-Zoo friends. Are you frequently skipping turn 5 or is that typically only when you miss Drac? Having a lot of success climbing since I started actually playing this deck right but im finding myself playing Red Skull (without Zero, dont have him yet) moreso than Infinaut and that cannot be correct

Think my issue is thinking KM is way more prevalent than he is and im hesitant to empy my hand until turns 5-6

I pretty much never play Infinaut, there's just never a situation where skipping t5 is worth it to play him vs just giving his power to Dracula or (if I don't draw Drac) making other plays.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

I pretty much never play Infinaut, there's just never a situation where skipping t5 is worth it to play him vs just giving his power to Dracula or (if I don't draw Drac) making other plays.

Agree with this. Infinaut is only there to fuel Drac and as a panic option if nothing else comes along. Skull on 5 into whatever else on 6 is a fine line to play.

Skull's downside isn't even that bad. Worst case, he's a 5/7 which is still a decent T5 play and way better than skipping outright.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 9, 2023

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok cool so im playing correct for the most part then.

Also ironically I was just killmongered trying to play the alternate way i was thinking lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JackDarko posted:

Is there a way to see the opponent’s deck after a match, without keeping track of the cards they played yourself?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

the_american_dream posted:

I don't have red skull so I threw in she-hulk for when I miss drac but have infinaut. Idk if it's mathematically optimal but every so often that surprise 30 on 6 from a zoo deck gets a big cube win.

Re your second question: I'm just parroting top card players but usually you want to just play your best line and if they hard-counter, welp you fold/retreat. "Don't beat yourself" is often the quote

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

I just bit the bullet and bought my first S4 card, Absorbing Man, from the token shop. Zero regrets so far; he made my homebrew Zabu/Surfer/Negative deck feel way more consistent. Deck list below; I've used this from 40 to 54 so far this season. Prior to Absorbing Man that slot was taken by Spider-Man, who was useful as a tech card but felt bad whenever you wanted Sera on turn 5 (which is whenever you have Sera in hand on turn 5).

quote:

# (2) Psylocke
# (3) Ironheart
# (3) Mystique
# (3) Silver Surfer
# (3) Rogue
# (3) Brood
# (3) Zabu
# (4) Mister Negative
# (4) Wong
# (4) Absorbing Man
# (5) Iron Man
# (5) Sera
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiUHN5bG9ja2UifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Iklyb25oZWFydCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2lsdmVyU3VyZmVyIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJNeXN0aXF1ZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiUm9ndWUifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlphYnUifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IldvbmcifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik1yTmVnYXRpdmUifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Iklyb25NYW4ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkJyb29kIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTZXJhIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJBYnNvcmJpbmdNYW4ifV19
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

This deck has pretty good matchups across the board, but can never beat a Leech, which is why your Lockjaw opponent will always pull a Leech from Lockjaw+Wasp on turn 3.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think Abs Man is maybe the second-best all-around S4 card after She-Hulk, so a fine pickup. He's also likely to continue improving as they release more cards with powerful On Reveal effects.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
In general people are way too hesitant to snap or retreat in this game.

If you've got what your deck wants to do in hand you should snap. If you're about to reveal a big turnaround play you should snap. Better to snap early and get countered to retreat then try and snap turn 5/6 and they retreat, giving you only one cube.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

PJOmega posted:

In general, people are way too hesitant to snap or retreat in this game.

If you've got what your deck wants to do in hand you should snap. If you're about to reveal a big turnaround play you should snap. Better to snap early and get countered to retreat then try and snap turn 5/6 and they retreat, giving you only one cube.

You're totally right in that I only climb when I snap or retreat intelligently.

I’m also OK paying cubes sometimes to learn how a deck beats mine. When I use a new deck, I tend not to snap or retreat as often so I can learn where I win and where I lose.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

That is probably the best Enchantress hit I'm going to ever get. To add insult to injury, Grand Central pulled the Debrii from his hand at the end of the turn and pulled my Kazaar. Honesty don't blame him if he uninstalls the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

JackDarko posted:

You're totally right in that I only climb when I snap or retreat intelligently.

I’m also OK paying cubes sometimes to learn how a deck beats mine. When I use a new deck, I tend not to snap or retreat as often so I can learn where I win and where I lose.

Yeah, sometimes I'm like, okay they snapped and seem confident they can win but I don't see how, it's worth 2-4 cubes just to see what the play is. It's a game after all.