Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Intruder posted:

I can't remember exactly what Coppolella did but I do remember it involved international signings. Did he give them too much money? Oh the horror, he built the backbone of a perennial contender by giving international signees more money than the artificial cap

Apparently it was the other way around.

Per The Athletic: "Manfred said the club had reported signing bonuses for a number of international players that were far below the actual amounts agreed to."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Intruder posted:

I can't remember exactly what Coppolella did but I do remember it involved international signings. Did he give them too much money? Oh the horror, he built the backbone of a perennial contender by giving international signees more money than the artificial cap

He started “negotiating” with families for their kids well before the age threshold. Also he was apparently widely hated among other execs so it was very easy to toss him to the wolves.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Explosionface posted:

Apparently it was the other way around.

Per The Athletic: "Manfred said the club had reported signing bonuses for a number of international players that were far below the actual amounts agreed to."

elentar posted:

He started “negotiating” with families for their kids well before the age threshold. Also he was apparently widely hated among other execs so it was very easy to toss him to the wolves.

well never mind then gently caress him

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would be really concerned about Royce Lewis’ ability to actually play much baseball going forward

His injury record is insane
The plus side of his catastrophic knee injuries is that one was caused by the wall (where he shouldn't have been in the first place without actual minor league seasoning :bahgawd::qq:) and the other by ice in Texas, so you'd hope neither is a repeatable scenario.

On the other hand, never ever good when knee goes boom twice

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

euphronius posted:

I watched 100+ Phillies games and don’t even remember who maton is

https://www.mlb.com/video/zach-eflin-in-play-out-s-to-mike-trout-rrudnk

He probably lost any chance at 2B from an injury due to this rob of Trout

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

elentar posted:

Literally ever team is doing this. The international talent system is hosed.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
https://twitter.com/DanielKimW/status/1612481916615405568

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I don't like Pirates fans having something to be excited for

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

more falafel please posted:

Literally ever team is doing this. The international talent system is hosed.

yeah I didn’t make it clear enough that he was punished for stuff literally everyone does but also he was bad at it and an rear end in a top hat to boot, so he was risking it for everyone else.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This morning in a Dodgers discord I think I realized I'm becoming our mcmagic. All these people were theorycrafting ways the Dodgers could shed money to get under the luxury tax this year, and talking themselves into all the injured older guys bouncing back while all the prospects produce immediately. I'm in the middle of it yelling this is bullshit, they should be better than this!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

This morning in a Dodgers discord I think I realized I'm becoming our mcmagic. All these people were theorycrafting ways the Dodgers could shed money to get under the luxury tax this year, and talking themselves into all the injured older guys bouncing back while all the prospects produce immediately. I'm in the middle of it yelling this is bullshit, they should be better than this!

Do you also want Max Muncy DFA'd?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Do you also want Max Muncy DFA'd?
No but his current production is probably only worth a bench spot, while they're relying on him to produce like his old self.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

If i'm viewed a someone who calls out best case scenario thinking bullshit I view that as a complement.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

No but his current production is probably only worth a bench spot, while they're relying on him to produce like his old self.

Gavin Lux is probably a better comp

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Popete posted:

Gavin Lux is probably a better comp

Lux either needs to be DFAed or act as the centerpiece in a trade for a 24 year old perennial MVP candidate

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

bawfuls posted:

This morning in a Dodgers discord

well there’s your problem

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

elentar posted:

well there’s your problem
The very active comment section of Dodgers Digest I've been part of for a good decade now recently moved to a discord because free blog comment platforms are all pretty dogshit and break constantly. It's the closest thing to a Dodgers SAS I've been able to find, generally higher quality of discussion than reddit/twitter etc.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I jest, I jest, I spend most of my day on discords for various weirdo video art groups and speedrunning communities and I regularly have students use Discord because it’s a communication channel outside of the university’s control. It’s a good tool when used and moderated well, just can’t imagine being on one for any of my sports teams since I have enough to make me mad and anxious already.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

elentar posted:

The under-reporting of bonuses (in order to avoid IFA penalties in later seaons) was a red line.
It didn't help that he was writing 250 word text messages to other GMs and seems to have been that guy in your fantasy league who just doesn't know when to give up on a trade.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah if there's anything I've learned from the last 20 years of being Extremely Online, it's that moderation makes the community. That blog is run by good people who have zero tolerance for the usual reactionaries that get attracted to sports banter. There are not, for example, people in the discord arguing that the Dodgers were stupid for cutting Bauer (proved innocent on all charges!!), for the same reason those people don't exist here.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bawfuls posted:

moderation makes the community. That blog is run by good people who have zero tolerance for the usual reactionaries

If that's true, I would suggest you be less mcmagic

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

no I will not stop impotently demanding more of the billionaires who own the sports team I'm emotionally attached to thanks :colbert:

And I wouldn't characterize mcmagic as reactionary even in strictly a baseball context. That'd be like... Bill Plaschke, who my dad like to refer to as "Mr Overreaction."

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 9, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm surprised that Lux hasn't been better. The Dodgers hugged the gently caress out of him through multiple years in a way they didn't with pretty much any of their other top prospects, so I assumed they saw him as possessing a unique skillset that Dodgers absolutely didn't want to lose. Instead it turns out he's an above average defensive SS who has absolutely zero pop which... eh?

This is honestly the first year in a really long time where I'm looking at the Dodgers and thinking actually they might not be that great? Like yeah obviously Mookie and Freeman are studs and Smith is arguably the most underrated catcher in the league, but pretty much everybody else in their lineup is either an old and busted vet who sucked last year or an unproven rookie. Yeah it's the Dodgers and if they popped off to win 105 games or whatever I wouldn't even blink, but this is the first time in a long time I can squint and see a sub-90 win season in the cards as well.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1612511040750911488

Nashville?

bawfuls posted:

no I will not stop impotently demanding more of the billionaires who own the sports team I'm emotionally attached to thanks :colbert:

RIP your blood pressure

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I'd be surprised if the MLB expanded before dealing with the Athletics' situation, but I guess expansion is just a large amount of new money put into the league without any real hoops. Have to imagine Vegas gets an expansion team at the same time to keep the league numbers balanced.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I'd rank it Vegas, Nashville, Portland in likelihood but only because they're being cowards about Mexico :colbert:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bigger fall from grace: Mattingly or Ruben Amaro

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The reason Dave Dombrowski left the Nashville group in the first place was that he was told expansion was never happening until Oakland and Tampa get resolved

Phillies and Giants swapped minor leaguers around I guess?

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I thought Mattingly was supposed to be the Blue Jays bench coach

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

This is honestly the first year in a really long time where I'm looking at the Dodgers and thinking actually they might not be that great? Like yeah obviously Mookie and Freeman are studs and Smith is arguably the most underrated catcher in the league, but pretty much everybody else in their lineup is either an old and busted vet who sucked last year or an unproven rookie. Yeah it's the Dodgers and if they popped off to win 105 games or whatever I wouldn't even blink, but this is the first time in a long time I can squint and see a sub-90 win season in the cards as well.
The core of their issue this year is they're no where near as deep as they've been every year since like 2017. The roster used to have so many options that even in years where their top 5 starters hit the IL all at the same time they still won 100 games. They used to be near-immune to (regular season) injury luck.

But they enter this year looking mortal, needing some things to break right for them to win the division instead of needing everything to break wrong in order to not win it. When Lux came up he was not a guy that HAD to produce for the team to do well, they had the depth to let him work things out without jeopardizing the team's standing. This year they actually need Vargas to contribute, there's no grace period because there's no one else.

This is imo not up to the standard they have set for themselves. This organization can and should do better than that, but between their bad bet on Bauer and self-imposed austerity, they aren't this year.

And the whole thing is extra ridiculous because now they actually would have to dump some salary in order to get under the luxury tax this year and reset. If they aren't going to do that, they might as well have been in on Correa, Verlander, etc. Instead they're in this weird middle ground where they have their weakest roster in probably 8 years while also not even resetting the tax penalties for next year.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 9, 2023

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Gerblederp posted:

I thought Mattingly was supposed to be the Blue Jays bench coach

He is (or at least was). It says that he's an "advisor" so it's probably something he can do on the side.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Ya looks like he is staying as the bench coach:

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-blue-jays-don-mattingly-joins-nashville-expansion-effort-as-advisor-1.1903729

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

And the whole thing is extra ridiculous because now they actually would have to dump some salary in order to get under the luxury tax this year and reset. If they aren't going to do that, they might as well have been in on Correa, Verlander, etc. Instead they're in this weird middle ground where they have their weakest roster in probably 8 years while also not even resetting the tax penalties for next year.

I mean I could be way off but it really feels like the Dodgers were operating under the assumption that the Bauer suspension was going to be upheld, and they'd be able to reset the tax once his money was off the books. This would also explain their weird handling of the whole "will he won't he" dance with Bauer basically down to the wire.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Paracaidas posted:

I'd rank it Vegas, Nashville, Portland in likelihood but only because they're being cowards about Mexico :colbert:

I imagine MLB is still a little nervous about Vegas just because of the sport's history of gambling scandals, but to their credit they let the NFL and NHL float test balloons without incident thus far.

Portland isn't going to happen, the Mariners have those territorial rights and they would raise holy hell.

Nashville is an odd outlier and not a city I'd seen come up in conversation before last year. The Braves have the rights to that area at the moment, but I could see the Rays potentially relocating there.

Sydin posted:

I mean I could be way off but it really feels like the Dodgers were operating under the assumption that the Bauer suspension was going to be upheld, and they'd be able to reset the tax once his money was off the books. This would also explain their weird handling of the whole "will he won't he" dance with Bauer basically down to the wire.

Yeah, the Dodgers were absolutely expecting an early Christmas gift of the suspension being upheld, just as the Yankees were a while ago when Bud Selig was waging his war on Alex Rodriguez.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
If they're expanding hopefully they re-do divisions.

Specifically swapping Seattle with Colorado alleviates a ton of timezone travel for both teams and makes perfect sense with no existing rivalries for either team to speak of.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1612531774634217472

Yordan, right?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

If that was their plan it was a dumbass plan. This leadership group has long emphasized their guiding principle is "optionality" i.e. never getting into a position where they feel forced to do a specific thing. They are supposed to be prepared for all outcomes. If their entire offseason plan hinged on the arbitrator upholding the full suspension, that's a massive deviation from their guiding principle. It's also incredibly dumb, because I mean duh this was obviously a possible outcome all along!

And finally, it's just not an acceptable excuse. They hosed up signing him in the first place, they don't get to use him as a reason they can't maintain the high standards they've previously set.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

I imagine MLB is still a little nervous about Vegas just because of the sport's history of gambling scandals, but to their credit they let the NFL and NHL float test balloons without incident thus far.

I don't think the MLB cares about the potential gambling conflict anymore, all of sports seems to have just been completely taken over by it and MLB manipulated baseballs in favour of Aaron Judge and nobody seems to give a crap.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

He can't even get team names right. They're the Nashville Sounds

edit: I'm the boob. The Stars are some group separate from the minor league team.

duomo fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

It's gotta be Cubs superstar Cody Bellinger.