Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Got Sushi Go! to the table last night after grabbing it stupid cheap last month as a "Well, it's a cup of coffee, who cares?" kind of thing. We played 3p and it was an absolute hit with everyone! Ended up playing several games into the wee hours. Addictive, simple, quick, and sufficiently strategic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

A friend bought a game called Urban Insanity. It's pretty much a Caracasone clone, but with a deck of cards we couldn't figure if it was giving another action or determined what you can do that round. The rulebook was badly written to determine which.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
storytime goons

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

PRADA SLUT posted:

storytime goons

I missed the Kickstarter so had to preorder from a store in Vancouver and have been eagerly awaiting the email that says it's on its way. Really looking forward to it.

(Also that order contains Cat in the Box and an RPG book so I'm really looking forward to it)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Not knowing why I asked her, she shows me these she might be interested in:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/275738/knitting-card-game
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2546/elixir

Well I guess I have some better ideas now

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not knowing why I asked her, she shows me these she might be interested in:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/275738/knitting-card-game
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2546/elixir

Well I guess I have some better ideas now

Don’t use her birthday gift as an attempt to strongarm or manipulate her into your hobby, get her an actual nice gift you know she will like and also buy one of those games as a bonus or separate thing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Koskinator posted:

Don’t use her birthday gift as an attempt to strongarm or manipulate her into your hobby, get her an actual nice gift you know she will like and also buy one of those games as a bonus or separate thing.

Rofl

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Koskinator posted:

...I wasn't? She has bought board games on her own, I'm trying to find something we'd both enjoy...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

...I wasn't? She has bought board games on her own, I'm trying to find something we'd both enjoy...

I wouldn't worry too much about that comment.

Anyone have or played My Father's Work? the theme looks very fun

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CODChimera posted:

Anyone have or played My Father's Work? the theme looks very fun

It is fun, but it's not much more than a very pretty WP game and it runs too long - although it's designed for multi-session play if required. I would have been much happier if it didn't need an app, as well.

The best touch is that you have four types of worker: yourself, your spouse, the servants and Igor. Igor can't work in town because he's horribly deformed and the townsfolk will drive him out; your spouse and servants can work in the castle, but if you make them do the mad science they'll run away afterwards. You yourself can do anything, but if you do too much weird stuff you get shunned in town until you've been to church enough to convince people that you're normal.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jedit posted:

It is fun, but it's not much more than a very pretty WP game and it runs too long - although it's designed for multi-session play if required. I would have been much happier if it didn't need an app, as well.

The best touch is that you have four types of worker: yourself, your spouse, the servants and Igor. Igor can't work in town because he's horribly deformed and the townsfolk will drive him out; your spouse and servants can work in the castle, but if you make them do the mad science they'll run away afterwards. You yourself can do anything, but if you do too much weird stuff you get shunned in town until you've been to church enough to convince people that you're normal.

Man, my friend and I were looking to play My Father's Work as the latest SHUX, but noticed someone had started opening the box, so we decided to wait until they were done.

We had played probably 3 and a half games and we looked over to see that they were still playing turn-by-turn from the rulebook (as in, they were still learning and referring to the rulebook for every action).

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jedit posted:

It is fun, but it's not much more than a very pretty WP game and it runs too long

I swear this comment could be applied to 90% of the euros I've played recently. I got to play Coffee Traders finally. The guy who owns it fuckin loves it and I always thought it looked interesting and love the publisher. 4+ hours later I just walked away shellshocked at having basically been playing a hyper mode version of Viticulture with a dozen different tracks to go up on that left almost no lasting positive impression on me. The only part I thought was novel was the (second set!) worker placement where you pick and choose which of the fields you want to make sure you get the most beans from with varying bonuses for who gets there first and how many people are there too. Everything else felt like someone took Homer's make-up gun except this time it was MWE mechanics and just opened both barrels up on the board.

Not sure if the term overproduced or overbaked is applicable here but I think my main takeaway was that the game was way too long for what it was and there were not many interesting decisions since a lot of what you are doing felt mostly programmed.

(My usual caveat of having only one play and sucking at the game applies.)

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
When did the worker placement genre begin? It’s such a solid idea that seems to have utterly plateaued, innovation-wise.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Jewmanji posted:

When did the worker placement genre begin? It’s such a solid idea that seems to have utterly plateaued, innovation-wise.

Bus (1999), I do believe. The rot started when they started giving you the workers back.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

FulsomFrank posted:

I swear this comment could be applied to 90% of the euros I've played recently. I got to play Coffee Traders finally. The guy who owns it fuckin loves it and I always thought it looked interesting and love the publisher. 4+ hours later I just walked away shellshocked at having basically been playing a hyper mode version of Viticulture with a dozen different tracks to go up on that left almost no lasting positive impression on me. The only part I thought was novel was the (second set!) worker placement where you pick and choose which of the fields you want to make sure you get the most beans from with varying bonuses for who gets there first and how many people are there too. Everything else felt like someone took Homer's make-up gun except this time it was MWE mechanics and just opened both barrels up on the board.

Not sure if the term overproduced or overbaked is applicable here but I think my main takeaway was that the game was way too long for what it was and there were not many interesting decisions since a lot of what you are doing felt mostly programmed.

(My usual caveat of having only one play and sucking at the game applies.)

Oh man, and I just bought it :-(

I watched a video and the way the timing of actions the actions works and the harvesting and stuff is my kind of thing so I'm a bit anxious now

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Jewmanji posted:

I feel like the innovation is in using WP to achieve another goal (draft more cards, gain more control of area, etc.). If WP is "take a limited number of actions from pool to do [thing], returns diminish the more people take the same action" is a pretty narrow space, and it all comes down to how you implement [thing].

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not sure where else to ask but I'd like a board game recommendation.

What board game is like, Sorry! or other kind of games that are more plastic doodads to manipulate, maybe Milton Bradley kind of games?

I'm trying to come up with a board game the other half might like. She doesn't like heavy rules, she doesn't like games with huge amounts of cards outside of party games, and she likes fae/scifi/fantasy stuff, often reads lewd supernatural books (urban fantasy?), sailor moon, cats, or other "cottagecore" cute things, and such

I'm trying to come up with a birthday gift for her (in a few+ months) and I'm hoping we can find a game she'll like, and that'll get her foot in the door to playing more board games (she has a few already, including a sailor moon trivia thing I got her), but if it doesn't then oh well, at least it'll be a thoughtful gift. I like to get these months in advance, I don't like missing deadlines.

I have some ideas already like:
Fairy Lights
Enchanted Plumes
Mountains out of Molehills
Anything Dr who related
Anything firefly related (not deck building)
Wonder book
Boop.
Lost Ones

So any more suggestions would be helpful, doesn't have to match the theme of the ideas as long as it is related to her interests above

Seeing as how we've apparently married the same woman, I can tell you that she loves Quacks of Quedlinburg, Brew, and Sonora.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I think My Father's Work is fairly novel, but yeah it is REALLY long. We have tried to play it twice now with the friend that owns it and in my 14ish years of modern board gaming I think those two plays are the only games we had to call off before finishing. At its core it is a very simple worker placement and set collection game, but the app-driven story is extremely wordy and oftentimes people need to be secretly reading passages from the app during their turn.

Great components and theme though.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Selecta84 posted:

Oh man, and I just bought it :-(

I watched a video and the way the timing of actions the actions works and the harvesting and stuff is my kind of thing so I'm a bit anxious now

Hey, you might be like my buddy and love it. I hope so too. I just bounced off it and I think part of the reason is that I've played a million WP games and at this point making one that is longer and more complicated without any sense of real change from the others makes me a little depressed. Let me know what you think when you get it to the table.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
I loved the spin that Raiders of the North Sea put onto WP (Do all the "NOUNS of the DIRECTION NOUN" games use a variation of it?)

Shared workers (of different value/capability) and placing one worker from your supply to execute an action and then taking another worker back into your supply and executing that action.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SkeletonHero posted:

Seeing as how we've apparently married the same woman, I can tell you that she loves Quacks of Quedlinburg, Brew, and Sonora.

Sounds like a tentative maybe, she liked the look of the gameboard for the last one, and the description of the first one.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Bodanarko posted:

I loved the spin that Raiders of the North Sea put onto WP (Do all the "NOUNS of the DIRECTION NOUN" games use a variation of it?)

Shared workers (of different value/capability) and placing one worker from your supply to execute an action and then taking another worker back into your supply and executing that action.

No, some of their games don't even have WP. But they usually have something clever like that going on.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The best WP game is actually an auction game.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’m assuming you’re referring to either keyflower or dungeon petz but neither of those are caylus :philip:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

Bus (1999), I do believe. The rot started when they started giving you the workers back.

Keydom (1998)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Tekopo posted:

I too like Going Going Gone!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I love board gaming discourse, you know I do, BUT (Stephen A. Smith-style) what IS it about boardgamers popping off their mouths about how a game is unbalanced after ONE PLAY where a strategy took a high score? Let's use a little scientific method perhaps and see if the strategy repeats with the same playgroup after everyone's familiar with that potential scoring avenue? Hell, in the time you spend writing a thread and responding angrily that you know what you're talking about, you could likely play the game a few more times and figure out if your one-time experience is actually indicative of a problem that eluded hundred or thousands of playtest games?

I dunno, man. Games.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Memnaelar posted:

I love board gaming discourse, you know I do, BUT (Stephen A. Smith-style) what IS it about boardgamers popping off their mouths about how a game is unbalanced after ONE PLAY where a strategy took a high score? Let's use a little scientific method perhaps and see if the strategy repeats with the same playgroup after everyone's familiar with that potential scoring avenue? Hell, in the time you spend writing a thread and responding angrily that you know what you're talking about, you could likely play the game a few more times and figure out if your one-time experience is actually indicative of a problem that eluded hundred or thousands of playtest games?

I dunno, man. Games.

curious which game you mean

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Step 1: Select a new faction
Step 2: Play it the same way you'd play your favorite faction, playing neither to its strengths nor being mindful of its weaknesses
Step 3: Lose badly
Step 4: Declare any or all of the faction, game, or your opponents totally unbalanced

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Step 2: Play it the same way you'd play your favorite faction, playing neither to its strengths nor being mindful of its weaknesses
Step 4: Declare any or all of the faction, game, or your opponents totally unbalanced

The factions I pick are always the underpowered ones :argh:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Radioactive Toy posted:

The factions I pick are always the underpowered ones :argh:
There's only one constant factor in that equation

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

silvergoose posted:

curious which game you mean

Oh, man, I can't count how many times I've seen someone, either on a forum or in person, argue something is imbalanced after a single play and refuse to be shifted on it (or resist further plays to determine if that's the case.)

But if you're wondering what set me off, there's a (edit: BGG) thread about Revive (a game I admittedly love) which was started by Trey Chambers (of Argent and Empyreal fame), whose work I generally really like, where I'm honestly surprised and frustrated that he opted to compare a scoring element to the Halifax Hammer situation.

Look at me, a nobody getting upset about game developer decorum.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

The Eyes Have It posted:

FAKIRS WERE ALWAYS BAD.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Eyes Have It posted:

Chaos in the Old World.txt

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Tekopo posted:

Wait, A Feast for Odin has an auction element? Is that in the expansion?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tempura Wizard posted:

Wait, A Feast for Odin has an auction element? Is that in the expansion?

Yeah in the third big box expansion that will definitely come out one day, sometime after Avatar 5

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah in the third big box expansion that will definitely come out one day, sometime after Avatar 5

Hey now, Cameron actually made a second Avatar movie.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

The Eyes Have It posted:

My partner does this regularly with games he's not familiar with - he'll fixate on a single strategy, then complain afterwards that the game is unbalanced and whatever strategy won is overpowered and / or boring to play

It kind of sucks because I got into board gaming because of him and we used to play 2p a lot, but over time I developed totally different tastes to him so we rarely play games together nowadays :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Memnaelar posted:

Oh, man, I can't count how many times I've seen someone, either on a forum or in person, argue something is imbalanced after a single play and refuse to be shifted on it (or resist further plays to determine if that's the case.)

Taking a forty-five minute intermission halfway through our first playthrough of a brand new game in order to hash out how we’re going to houserule out the balance issues next time.