Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Finished second Legend run. Holy poo poo Witherhoard/Solo Op is a cheat button.

Also got my pupper at the HELM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Kith posted:

Speaking of engrams, I don't know what to do with these IB engrams. I'm not interested in any of the weapons and I'm good on armor. Do they carry over between seasons and expansions?

Provided you grab them from Saladin first, yeah. He won’t hang on to them himself though. Bear in mind we (probably) won’t get another new IB armor set until S23 (the last one before Final Shape).

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
They’ll probably bring back the high impact scout rifle and machine gun so might as well pop em now I say

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I should really learn how the scoring works in Fortress

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If they're bringing back D1 Iron Banner stuff I wish they'd being back the scout from Rise of Iron, it had a really solid noise to it and hit like a truck.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Every 10 seconds, each control zone gives +2 points to whichever team control them.

The Cabal Point gives +4

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Unless your team can totally slay out and control the entire map, it’s “suicide bomb, the mode”

Not enough people are de-capping partially cleared zones i tell you what

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
IB winners guide: The people bum rushing the points while spamming their abilities and firing wildly at anything that moves are winners. The people peeking around corners while nursing their K/D ratios like they're playing trials are losers. The special cabal point changes ownership in seconds; you just need to touch it with your toe before dying to help out your team.

I've actually had a lot of fun this IB, but it's brought down by how tight they made the grind. Only two weeks, time limited rep multiplier, stingy drops. The funny thing is that IB not being a bonus valor week didn't actually matter, since you get at least an entire valor reset while trying to 100% IB drops.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH96O64GXZA

I feel like I've almost never seen lag like this myself, but I can appreciate people's frustration with the weighting against CBMM a lot more seeing this poo poo lol.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 9, 2023

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Oxyclean posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH96O64GXZA

I feel like I've almost never seen lag like this myself, but I can appreciate people's frustration with the weighting against CBMM a lot more seeing this poo poo lol.

The lag is insane, there’s pretty much one guy per match just absolutely teleporting like crazy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ponzicar posted:

IB winners guide: The people bum rushing the points while spamming their abilities and firing wildly at anything that moves are winners. The people peeking around corners while nursing their K/D ratios like they're playing trials are losers. The special cabal point changes ownership in seconds; you just need to touch it with your toe before dying to help out your team.

I've actually had a lot of fun this IB, but it's brought down by how tight they made the grind. Only two weeks, time limited rep multiplier, stingy drops. The funny thing is that IB not being a bonus valor week didn't actually matter, since you get at least an entire valor reset while trying to 100% IB drops.

Yeah, the flipside of kills scoring no points is that your life has no value while the time they spent killing you does. If you duel someone and lose or trade, that's that much time elapsed until the next point drop, which is in your favor if you hold the zones. If you neutralize or cap and then die half a second later, they still have to spend some time undoing that. It also means cheap delay tactics like AOEs and suppressing fire are more valuable than they are in other modes since it doesn't matter if you actually hit anyone, just make a route less viable

And yeah, the special zone caps so fast that you can lock it while being killed by a grenade or sunspot or super remnant and that's points for you if no one else dares to do the same

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
All their patch notes about tweaking SBMM and moving spawns and increasing crit damage from 24.4 to 24.69 and modifying the accuracy cone to a 0.69 degree blahblahblah are hilarious because the game itself doesn't work anymore

https://i.imgur.com/Du9AoSY.gifv

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

All their patch notes about tweaking SBMM and moving spawns and increasing crit damage from 24.4 to 24.69 and modifying the accuracy cone to a 0.69 degree blahblahblah are hilarious because the game itself doesn't work anymore

https://i.imgur.com/Du9AoSY.gifv

Yup lol he’s That Guy for the match, there’s a special That Guy modifier for the mode

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope old emblems recycle as IB rewards because the Iron Core emblem looks dope

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

haveblue posted:

your life has no value

:negative:

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

How come when other people lag they become unstoppable killing machines, but when I lag I die every 5 seconds to people shooting around corners?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Give me back my Unbent Tree, Saladman! drat I loved that gun, it had some stupid god roll perks with zero recoil and about 89 rounds in the mag.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They already brought back Felwinter's Lie and let it dominate for a while, so obviously the next unvaulting witll be Efrideet's Spear with final round

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

top 5% player, "normaly doesn't engage in PVP".

ok

I really don't. Here's my destinytracker profile, and my numbers from last season:

I typically don't give a poo poo about Crucible in any form - I'm not good at FPS PVP unless it's very objective-focused, which Crucible tends to not be. Fortress is extremely objective-based and K/D doesn't matter, so I can just focus on doing important stuff like grabbing points and popping bubbles. That's why I have a dogshit K/D of 0.86 but a 62% winrate: even though I'm rarely getting kills and dying often, I'm still helping the team.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Don't take ranks on those type of sites too seriously. It's not accurate to the actual game. I'm top 8% in crucible with 4 games played.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

arsenicCatnip posted:

what site is that? I hate PVP so I'm curious where I stand

destinytracker and cruciblereport can give you more information on your stats. RBX is right, though - the "top x% of players" thing is mostly just going off of winrate and a janky "ELO" system that's not tied to anything in the API, so don't trust those ratings too much. It's best for just seeing generalized numbers, like K/D ratios and such.

ponzicar posted:

Winners also know how to Kill Bubble. Get good at it and you can wipe the enemy team for the low low cost of a single death!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It is pretty funny charging to a bubble and taking out 2 dudes who just didn't expect it.

And then none of your teammates touch the zone.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I wrote up a list for a friend on how to farm bubbles for multikills and it's actually kinda funny how Titans have more bubble counters than anyone else.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Post the list

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
it's stupid as hell but my favorite counter is to simply pop my own bubble in the same place and immediately throw down a witherhoard, a vortex nade and a barricade

The Mountain Goats posted:

I hope you die
I hope we both die

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Last time I popped a bubble a whole lotta people in Silicon Valley got unemployed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ideal Fortress strategy: get in the pit and try to love someone

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Kith posted:

I wrote up a list for a friend on how to farm bubbles for multikills and it's actually kinda funny how Titans have more bubble counters than anyone else.

Countering a bubble with another bubble doesn't help anyone else who has to die in order to counter a bubble.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Again the main issue isn’t that bubbles and barricades are “bad” (that’s another discussion)

The main issue is timing. Bubble is the only super up at the first centerpoint so the entire mode revolves around playing off of or countering that first super. (I’ve seen another super up 2-3 times because the guy loving slayed out, so it basically never happens).

And then bubble is the only super that reliably gets a second go, so the final post-centerpoint segment also revolves around it.

Thus your entire loadout centers around bubbles or you lose. Maybe that’s fine for you but I think it’s too much even for this mode.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Again the main issue isn’t that bubbles and barricades are “bad” (that’s another discussion)

The main issue is timing. Bubble is the only super up at the first centerpoint so the entire mode revolves around playing off of or countering that first super. (I’ve seen another super up 2-3 times because the guy loving slayed out, so it basically never happens).

And then bubble is the only super that reliably gets a second go, so the final post-centerpoint segment also revolves around it.

Thus your entire loadout centers around bubbles or you lose. Maybe that’s fine for you but I think it’s too much even for this mode.

I wonder if Fortress was developed back when all supers had much closer cooldowns. The TWAB at the time* said they were trying to address the "super o'clock" issue but this game mode seems like it's deliberately made for that.

edit: at the time they changed the supers to how they are now

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Roctavian posted:

I wonder if Fortress was developed back when all supers had much closer cooldowns. The TWAB at the time* said they were trying to address the "super o'clock" issue but this game mode seems like it's deliberately made for that.

edit: at the time they changed the supers to how they are now

Probably lol.

Imho maybe they need to just give every one super right at the start or right after the first center point ends and that’s all you get for the match.

Right now bubble is both the strongest super in the mode and the one you get the most.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Make it nothing but center points for the whole match, in different places one after the other. Nobody will have a super for the first few

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Make the capture points later. If you put it behind 50 points rather than 40 more people will have supers up that can puncture a bubble.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe it's my matchmaking value in the freelance playlist, but I haven't really felt bubbles to be overwhelming.

Though, anyone who thinks Titans aren't massively strong for the mode is silly, given some of the bubble counters are "another bubble" or "Thundercrash" And counters from outside Void and Stasis are basically irrelevant.

IMO Fortress is a good game mode. A million times better then Iron Banner Rift, and maybe more interesting of a game mode then Eruption.

I think the biggest issues is everything surrounding it, as somewhat usual. The whole rep grind thing loving sucks. Get rid of the challenges. Enforcing people to use one of two subclasses for 18 games is a loving stupid design, and can create bigger problems of particular strategies feeling annoying or hard to counter. Needing 18 games to just get the rep rate to a decent point is loving stupid. Just bake it all into the gear bonus*, and challenges are just for the pinnacles. Alternatively, remove the subclass requirement and have it be 2/4/6/8 games.

* But offer a way to get the gear reliably.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I wonder how people would have felt about the mode if void wasn't one of the subclasses in the challenge. If it was solar maybe warlocks could have finally had a chance to shine!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mill Village posted:

Countering a bubble with another bubble doesn't help anyone else who has to die in order to counter a bubble.

good news, chum! i wasn't talking about that at all!

Mattavist posted:

Post the list

'kay

JUST TITAN THINGS
  • Peregrine Greaves will kill your target and everyone around them for the low cost of a single Charge Attack. Number one easiest bubble counter.
  • Synthoceps plus Arc's Ballistic Slam will kill any 3+ guardians grouped together. Alternately, use Glaive Melees if you want to be choppy instead.
  • Loreley Splendor makes your Barricades deadly because they also fart out Sunspots, which can shave off that one last hitpoint that Barricades can't. Affectionately called Suicide Splendor because you'll probably die doing it, but you'll most certainly take everyone with you.
  • Armamentarium allowing you to put down double Damage Over Time grenades (Pulse, Vortex, Solar) will be enough to chew through bubble residents. Trickier than most strategies because it's not instant and smart opponents will just walk away, but it's very good at forcing people out of the bubble and guaranteed to kill anyone who remains.
  • Dunemarchers chain lightning pairs very well with grenade damage, but isn't as reliable as other strategies.
  • Stronghold gets an honorable mention because of how much it enables Worldline Zero, but more on that later.
WARLOCK STRATS
  • Contraverse Hold enables you to drop a charged Vortex Grenade that the enemy must get away from or die. Echo of Remnants and Echo of Undermining come highly recommended.
  • Vesper of Radius and Frostpulse still work pretty good together! It's real dumb! Follow up with whatever.
MISC. MISSIVES
gonna be honest with you i don't give a poo poo about hunters so i'm not SUPER familiar with their stuff but i have seen these work for other people so
  • The Bombardiers makes "throw grenade and dodge out" a hell of a lot more effective - basically the "double grenade" strat that Armamentarium has, except much faster and much more reliable.
  • Khepri's Sting is a very good "run in and melee" exotic that will gently caress up everyone inside and make cleanup very easy.
  • Liar's Handshake enables instakill melees if you can get someone to punch you first. Titans are predisposed to punching, so this is fairly likely!
EQUIPMENT IDEAS
  • Witherhoard. That's the entire recommendation. Seriously, just loving use Witherhoard. Hell, it's probably in your loadout already because Fortress is a variant of Control and it's a very popular weapon already. Just walk into the bubble and shoot it at the floor. Stick around in your goo and punch people or throw a grenade afterwards and step out, whatever floats your boat.
  • Dead Messenger gets an honorable mention because a point-blank shot will hit someone with multiple waves, possibly killing them instantly right through their overshield (and giving you one of your own, if you've got the catalyst).
  • Worldline Zero allows you to Tesseract right in and kill people. Possibly multiple times!
  • Deathbringer doesn't even need to be shot inside the bubble, just make it rain purple and everyone inside will die.
  • Parasite gives you a nifty damage bonus for popping yourself with it on top of killing everyone inside. Bonus points if you charge the worm first with a kill prior to firing it!
SUPER GOOD ADVICE
  • Whisper of Fissures will make any Stasis Crystal Spam viciously gently caress up everyone inside of a bubble. This of course goes for Glacier Grenade, but Behemoth's Glaical Quake also does significant amount of work.
  • Thundercrash, Blade Barrage, and Nova Bomb will break the bubble and probably kill everyone inside.
  • Nova Warp is the only reliable non-Stasis super that can clear out bubbles because its attack can be charged.
  • Silence and Squall gets a special shout-out for being extremely loving annoying because the bubble does nothing to keep it out.
IN AND OUT, THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT
Regardless of what your chosen tactic is, the most important thing to keep in mind is Minimizing Your Exposure. Every moment you spend in the bubble drastically increases your chance of dying or being ineffective! Do not overstay your welcome. Get in, do whatever it is you're aiming to do, and leave.

ONE LAST DISCLAIMER
Ward of Dawn is not just a Super Ability, but one specifically designed for this situation. Even though these tactics CAN beat a bubble, it's not a guarantee that they WILL. There's a lot left up to chance and personal ability, and sometimes you'll do everything correctly and still lose. poo poo happens. Just try again, deaths don't matter in Fortress.

Kith fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 10, 2023

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Grinded 18 of them sumbitchin ib thangs. Plus a few more because I forgot about the sub class requirement.

Still no gloves.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Crownsplitter's heavy attack will also straight-up vaporize a titan in their bubble.

Got the shader, got all the armor pieces except for the hunter helmet.

I actually don't like the shader on Starfire Protocol as much as Hoarfrost Sunrise, which gives it a sort of iridescence.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
people really losing their minds over this shader

https://imgur.com/bbNTv3R.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wazzit posted:

people really losing their minds over this shader

https://imgur.com/bbNTv3R.mp4

They're impatient. It'll turn up on some randomly dropped IB gun or armor in a year or two for zero effort.

I mean yeah it sucks if you want it now but rather than torture yourself to get it the other option is just to not do that and chill.