Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Those cranksets (and rotor ones) really need the right torque. A torque wrench will cost less than a new crankset, or hospital bills if something falls off.

Or take it to a shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Unless it's carbon, just make it Really Tight. Or get a $17 torque wrench from harbor freight to be sure.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
most cranksets I’ve seen are like 40ft-lbs, which is about as much as you can put into an 8mm or 10mm hex before it feels like something will break

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

wooger posted:

Those cranksets (and rotor ones) really need the right torque. A torque wrench will cost less than a new crankset, or hospital bills if something falls off.

Or take it to a shop.

Ok good to know, I'll get a wrench before I try replacing the chainrings then.

Although given a Rival crankset is about 90 euros I can replace it once and break even versus the torque wrench :v:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

most cranksets I’ve seen are like 40ft-lbs, which is about as much as you can put into an 8mm or 10mm hex before it feels like something will break

I have a beefy 8mm 1/2” for DUB cranks, and a 2 ft breaker bar to get them off. 54Nm is so much, especially if the self extracting bolt is not greased and has been on there for a long time. First time I pulled my cranks I thought I was going to snap the frame.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Deflecting beam torque wrenches are cheap and accurate.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The fun things ng about the Dub crank is going to be loosening that bolt. Good luck.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I have a beefy 8mm 1/2” for DUB cranks, and a 2 ft breaker bar to get them off. 54Nm is so much, especially if the self extracting bolt is not greased and has been on there for a long time. First time I pulled my cranks I thought I was going to snap the frame.

It has to be a flaw in the design. You can tighten it to spec and after 10 minutes youre reaching for the cheater bar again. We noticed this with every Dub crank we had to work with.

I'm thinking of replacing my cranks with Raceface ones just so I don't have to deal with that bolt anymore.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 2, 2023

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

There’s an EZ mode to taking off the cranks that takes it from a giant PITA to as easy as HT2 or GXP. Get a big piece of Velcro, 2” wide or bigger, and wrap the Velcro around the NDS crank and chainstay tightly. Then use the breaker bar and the crank comes right off.

Definitely grease that bolt though, especially if it’s the aluminum version.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I just flip my bike over and brace one pedal under my stair riser. Not an option for most but works for me.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

There’s an EZ mode to taking off the cranks that takes it from a giant PITA to as easy as HT2 or GXP. Get a big piece of Velcro, 2” wide or bigger, and wrap the Velcro around the NDS crank and chainstay tightly. Then use the breaker bar and the crank comes right off.

Definitely grease that bolt though, especially if it’s the aluminum version.

just stand on the NDS

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

e.pilot posted:

just stand on the NDS

I don't think LLH weighs enough.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I am a big boy!!

Anyway it’s on a stand when I do this so standing on it isn’t the best idea.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
My bike sat for nearly a month unused due to sickness and holiday travel. Now the Rival eTap AXS FD is stuck in some sort of firmware update loop. App asks to update the firmware - which it says completes successfully and then it just does the same thing over and over. Worst part is it won’t shift. Tried using the app on different phones, unpairing from the “bike”, removing batteries for a day. Nothing has helped.

Anyone ever run into this or hear about it? I haven’t seen much online. Sounds like there was RD firmware a year or so ago that caused people problems, but seems like that was resolved or some of the steps above helped people.

Waiting to hear back from SRAM support but i have a feeling it’s dead.

Edit: Oh and the version it wants to update to is the version currently installed.

zerofunk fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 7, 2023

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Your bike is bricked because of a firmware update? I never thought I'd hear something like that.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004

SimonSays posted:

Your bike is bricked because of a firmware update? I never thought I'd hear something like that.

I guess it technically bricked itself just sitting around since it wasn’t working before I even tried updating it, but yeah…

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

SimonSays posted:

What a time to be alive!

Edit: my chainring is hosed I need a new one

Casual Yogurt fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 8, 2023

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
gently caress! I'm blowing it!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SimonSays posted:

I am shocked and appalled, nobody could've predicted this

Luckily 11 gears are enough for me

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Truly the cyberpunk dystopia thread is leaking everywhere on the forums.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Slavvy posted:

lol imagine not being able to ride your bike because the shift cable broke in the lever

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

e.pilot posted:

lol imagine not being able to ride your bike because the shift cable broke in the lever

Yeah 10-speed Ultegra wasn't the best

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
that is extremely a thing on 11 speed as well

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

e.pilot posted:

In that scenario I can just lock the RD to whatever gear I want with the cable stump and get home, I can also carry a cable with me to replace it on the spot.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I think the axs derailleurs are designed to slip instead of bending and there is some kind of mechanism that makes it possible to move the cage if you push hard enough.

I've seen it demoed on a mtb axs, not sure about road but I think it is the same basic design

(also good luck getting it to line up with a cog nicely)

taqueso fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 8, 2023

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Slavvy posted:

In that scenario I can just lock the RD to whatever gear I want with the cable stump and get home, I can also carry a cable with me to replace it on the spot.

And that cable is under 5$ and is available anywhere in the world.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Even if it's one of the levers that's catastrophically hosed if the cable breaks if you change it preemptively every year that doesn't happen and changing the cable is about as inconvenient has having to charge your bike.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
you mean to tell me every shifting type has issues wow

times electronic shifting has left me stranded:

times acoustic shifting has left me stranded:

And I have vastly more miles on e-shifting than anything else

my single anecdotal experience of mech shifting is just as useless as one person having issues with electronic shifting and going HURRR DURRR THIS IS WHY I STICK WITH MECHANICAL I AM VERY SMART, both have their pros and cons

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Ian Malcolm voice:
Single speeds inherit the earth.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I had an issue with my cross bike and took my road bike out today instead. I forgot how much better di2 works and shifts. So smooth, so fast. And in like 7 years and 15k miles it's been completely flawless. I've had the battery get low enough to stop shifting the front derailleur like 2 or 3 times but the rear keeps working so you can finish your ride/get home without being single speed.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
It's me, the guy who carries an extra shift cable in his saddle bag in case one breaks. And also a new chain in case one breaks. And also an extra saddle in case mine breaks. And also

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I was doing a 500k race and crested a hill to find a guy with a snapped RD cable. 2x1 was not a great gear ratio for him to finish. Always carry one for long rides now.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Tigren posted:

It's me, the guy who carries an extra shift cable in his saddle bag in case one breaks. And also a new chain in case one breaks. And also an extra saddle in case mine breaks. And also

I carry a laptop with me so that I can hack my SRAM firmware back into working condition if it shits itself

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
gonna be honest I didn't know shift cables snapping were a relatively common thing, guess I should add that to my list of things to learn how to work on :ohdear:

do brake cables have the same fragility? or is it like a different kinda tension

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

gonna be honest I didn't know shift cables snapping were a relatively common thing, guess I should add that to my list of things to learn how to work on :ohdear:

do brake cables have the same fragility? or is it like a different kinda tension

Some brifters have cable-wearing-out-inside problems in the long term.

Brake cables have more tension but are way bigger, they also tend to have way less of a twisty routing.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

brake cables are thicker/stronger. all cables can snap but what people are talking about above is a design flaw in shimano 11-speed shifters which causes the barrel at the end of the cable to snap off within the shifter

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Clark Nova posted:

I carry a laptop with me so that I can hack my SRAM firmware back into working condition when it shits itself

fixed it for you.

Also, I carry my indoor trainer in case weather conditions go bad. I just set up under a gas station canopy for a few hours and hit the Zwerft.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Clark Nova posted:

brake cables are thicker/stronger. all cables can snap but what people are talking about above is a design flaw in shimano 11-speed shifters which causes the barrel at the end of the cable to snap off within the shifter

And in 10-speed land too. Ugh.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Shift cables also like to fray and break where they clamp to the derailleurs. Always good to check that occasionally to make sure it's not hanging on by a thread. Especially before any trips or long rides or big races.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 10, 2023

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

meltie posted:

And in 10-speed land too. Ugh.

Yeah, you’re right, it’s anything with aero (under the bar tape) cable routing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Clark Nova posted: