Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ghost of Tsushima is the game where sword combat finally completely clicked with me and felt completely natural and intuitive, parrying in particular. Coming back to Fallen Order after that, the combat felt a bit rougher than I'd noticed before, including parry timing never feeling quite right. I know folks say to play it on the higher difficulty, but the difference is that GoT worked so well at low levels that I was able to work my way up to the highest setting pretty well, whereas I've been stuck on easy and normal in FO because it doesn't click in a way where I don't need that extra help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
GoT on lethal is fantastic. Every strike is a killing blow. It feels great and is incredibly well realised visually. Just look out for archers.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
The parry timing is slightly off to me, and my friend postulated that the problem is that the center of the "you did a parry"-window seems to be when the attack would have landed if you did nothing, and most people target the point in time where the attack would connect with your lightsaber if you parried. For human enemies swinging stuff, these points are usually pretty close to eachother so on anything but highest it usually works out. Animals having weirder/slower attacks means you can miss the parry from hitting it too early. I started parrying slightly later than I felt I should, and that mostly worked for me, so maybe she's right about the aim of the window. We both played on jedi master.

On grandmaster i can't consistently parry the regular stormtroopers.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is this the only Star Wars game that’s still canon at this point?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

RatHat posted:

Nah there's squadrons and battlefront and probably a bunch of other disposable garbage

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RatHat posted:

Battlefront II and Squadron's campaigns are canon too

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Technically there's also a few mobile games that are supposed to be canon, but nobody cares about them and I think they've been discontinued anyways.

The old EU has a tendency of regularly leaking into the new EU anyways. The Knights of the Old Republic games keep having details make it into current works, and the Old Republic MMO is still ongoing and getting updates, which might mean it's still canon as well. Dash Rendar is technically a canon character because of a couple boardgames.

But the true rules of canon have always been that you can pay attention to or ignore whatever you want, because the biggest most "official" works will do the same thing.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
When the Rakata popped up in Andor I was like WHAT

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

jedi knight games are canon to me

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I 100% expect Kyle Katarn to show up in the canon universe at some point. I feel like he was next in line in the rumor mill of who was going to rescue Grogu at the end of Mandolorian season one after Luke, Ashoka and Ezra.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dillbag posted:

I 100% expect Kyle Katarn to show up in the canon universe at some point. I feel like he was next in line in the rumor mill of who was going to rescue Grogu at the end of Mandolorian season one after Luke, Ashoka and Ezra.

Sadly, I think Kyle is gone for good. Andor even style his pistol, after having already stolen his jacket and the Death Star plans.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

For Kyle to return, there'd have to be someone out there making Star Wars stuff who cares enough about him to drag him forward into the new canon. I dun think that person exists, sadly.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Sadly, I think Kyle is gone for good. Andor even style his pistol, after having already stolen his jacket and the Death Star plans.

Agreed.. I fully expect Andor to have to deal with a dark trooper threat at some point, assuming the show wasn’t a one off thing.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I'm sorry to say that Kyle Katarn was, in fact, brought into the new cannon, but renamed Cassian Andor.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think this card means that Kyle Katarn technically does exist in the new canon.

But technically that also doesn't establish him as a jedi either.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think this card means that Kyle Katarn technically does exist in the new canon.

But technically that also doesn't establish him as a jedi either.

He's got his saber in his Galactic Ambitions card

No beard tho, which is a shame

Granted, they haven't really done anything with them in anything outside of the TCG, so...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

He's got his saber in his Galactic Ambitions card

No beard tho, which is a shame

Granted, they haven't really done anything with them in anything outside of the TCG, so...

Not My Kyle.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Sammus posted:

Agreed.. I fully expect Andor to have to deal with a dark trooper threat at some point, assuming the show wasn’t a one off thing.

We got dark troopers in Mando S2

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Not My Kyle.

Eh, it's not too far off his Dark Forces 1 style.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Skippy McPants posted:

Eh, it's not too far off his Dark Forces 1 style.

CHONG-LI! CHONG-LI!

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Cross-Section posted:

We got dark troopers in Mando S2

Yeah, but Andor needs to work to destroy their production facility, setting up that the dark troopers in Mando S2 are the last dark troopers in the galaxy.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sammus posted:

Yeah, but Andor needs to work to destroy their production facility, setting up that the dark troopers in Mando S2 are the last dark troopers in the galaxy.

Andor can't be the new Kyle because Andor got blown the gently caress up. Kyle, as a video game protagonist, is immune to goofy little things like death.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The battle arena you unlock postgame is really cool. And the combat challenges are really hard

EDIT: Not sure why people think Merrin won't be in the sequel. They were clearly setting her up as a love interest

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
They will just have dash rendar become a jedi

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

RatHat posted:

The battle arena you unlock postgame is really cool. And the combat challenges are really hard

EDIT: Not sure why people think Merrin won't be in the sequel. They were clearly setting her up as a love interest

Bode is obviously the love interest :colbert:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Badger of Basra posted:

Bode is obviously the love interest :colbert:

I know it's a radical thought, but what if there are two love interests?

Do people think we will repair the crashed Mantis, or will we get a new ship/home base?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Torrannor posted:

I know it's a radical thought, but what if there are two love interests?

Do people think we will repair the crashed Mantis, or will we get a new ship/home base?

Ah, so that's why Cal isn't in the OT - Greez murders him for scratching the paint

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vinylshadow posted:

Ah, so that's why Cal isn't in the OT - Greez murders him for scratching the paint

It must obviously be Greez' fault for abandoning his post :colbert:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Doing each planet 100% and Zeffo was a loving nightmare

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Doing each planet 100% and Zeffo was a loving nightmare

The fappo comic but instead it says ZEFFO!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So I was looking over the editions of Jedi Survivor and the deluxe edition for $20 more only includes a couple extra cosmetics? Seriously?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I didn’t not buy the lightsaber edition since I already have a few of the Disney sabers….

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Indiana_Krom posted:

So I was looking over the editions of Jedi Survivor and the deluxe edition for $20 more only includes a couple extra cosmetics? Seriously?

Han, Luke, and Obi-Wan outfits
Luke and Kenobi lightsabers
Han's blaster
Combustion blaster
Two BD-1 skins

It's not nothing, but +20 does feel a bit much

Can't wait for the free update that invalidates buying this game for what ultimately came out to a little over $97

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dogen posted:

I didn’t not buy the lightsaber edition since I already have a few of the Disney sabers….

I bought the lightsaber edition on PS5 because I'm a loving idiot. I don't even want to play it on PS5, I'd rather have it on PC but at least this way I can resell the steelbox ps5 disc and hopefully recoup the cost + shipping to grab it on Steam.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Skippy McPants posted:

For Kyle to return, there'd have to be someone out there making Star Wars stuff who cares enough about him to drag him forward into the new canon. I dun think that person exists, sadly.

Some hero involved with Solo: A Star Wars Story decided to make the entire Lando Trilogy canon and those books were crazy. If lunatic poo poo like the Mindharp of Sharu can get in, anything can.

The reason they invalidated the canon is so they could nix specific poo poo that was embarrassing, and then slowly plug in more acceptable versions of anything people really liked. So yes Han and Leia got married, sure they had unspecified adventures, no Han did not drug and kidnap Leia because he was jealous of a weird Prince.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Actually the reason they invalidated the extended universe was to spite me, personally.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Skippy McPants posted:

The fact that the Bryar pistol still exists means that someone cares about Dark Forces. Star Wars: Squadrons made the bulk freighters from the original X-Wing game canon, and Solo made loving Teräs Käsi canon. They're not afraid to make some deep cuts, even from the old video games. I think Kyle has a chance in some form eventually.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 12, 2023

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

PunkBoy posted:

The fact that the Bryar pistol still exists means that someone cares about Dark Forces. Star Wars: Squadrons made the bulk freighters from the original X-Wing game canon, and Solo made loving Teräs Käsi canon. They're not afraid to make some deep cuts, even from the old video games. I think Kyle has a chance in some form eventually.

I forgot about Teras Kasi. I laughed out loud in the theater when it was mentioned and immediately felt like a giant nerd.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Dillbag posted:

I forgot about Teras Kasi. I laughed out loud in the theater when it was mentioned and immediately felt like a giant nerd.

That was pretty much my reaction as well. I'm very mixed about Solo, but I love that it re-canonized that of all things out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I thought masters of teras kasi was literally the best thing in the world when I was like, 9. :smith: